Code of Conduct

Default Do you think the 80's so called "Stink Bombs" were an aberation in perfume history

Do you think the 80's so called "Stink Bombs" (Azzaro PH, Yatagan, Giorgio Beverly Hills etc) were an aberation in perfume history or they may come back. Some say people were not as "clean" as today or smoked a lot, and so high sillage scents were needed then ..what is your opinion..
    Last edited by afraafra; 20th July 2008 at 03:24 PM.

Default Re: Do you think the 80's "Stink Bombs" were an aberation in perfume history or they

"Stink Bombs" ... please explain

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Default Re: Do you think the 80's "Stink Bombs" were an aberation in perfume history or they

Trends change, but many come back now and then.

Like the (somewhat) recent return of stripped-down garage rock and post-punk.

Blog Entries

Going by the plethora of niche houses who are eating up the sales of big designers, I would say the bite of the generic acquatics era is over. Even the designer houses are coming up with bold fragrances they wouldn't have dared of in the 90's and early 2000's. Not sure about "stinker bombs" though.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    "Stink Bombs" ... please explain
    Dimitrios, I say "Stink Bombs" with all due respect..

Default Re: Do you think the 80's so called "Stink Bombs" were an aberation in perfume histor

What an amusing theory. You make the 80s sound like prehistoric times when man was a race of cave dwellers and hunter-gatherers. Which might be a good thread topic in itself: "What would neanderthal man wear?"

One could extend the same logic to ask why leisure suits were popular in the 80s. Was it because men were constricted in cotton and wool and needed the stretch of polyester to relieve their discomfort while dancing the Hustle? Wait, that might actually be true...

I can assure you that I bathed just as often in 1980 as I do now (soap had been invented by then), and although fewer people smoke now than in the 80s, I doubt that was the impetus behind the style of big, masculine fragrances. It was simply the fashion of the time, and there's clearly no logic to fashion.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 20th July 2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Do you think the 80's so called "Stink Bombs" were an aberation in perfume histor

As far as I am concerned, they never went away. Many of them are timeless classics that have, and will, stand the test of time. I personally would not refer to them as "Stink Bombs".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    What an amusing theory. You make the 80s sound like prehistoric times when man was a race of cave dwellers and hunter-gatherers. Which might be a good thread topic in itself: "What would neanderthal man wear?"

One could extend the same logic to ask why leisure suits were popular in the 80s. Was it because men were constricted in cotton and wool and needed the stretch of polyester to relieve their discomfort while dancing the Hustle? Wait, that might actually be true...

I can assure you that I bathed just as often in 1980 as I do now, and although fewer people smoke now than in the 80s, I doubt that was the impetus behind the style of big, masculine fragrances. It was simply the fashion of the time, and there's clearly no logic to fashion.
    LOL, well people smoked a lot more that's for sure, but I actually also think that it was a fashion that will come back big time, look at men's suits now they are becoming as fitted as the 70's..

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    LOL, well people smoked a lot more that's for sure, but I actually also think that it was a fashion that will come back big time, look at men's suits now they are becoming as fitted as the 70's..
    I also hope that big fragrances will return too, although I'm not convinced that niche houses will cause it to happen. And I love fitted suits, so bring those on, too!

Note to all you 20-somethings out there - all the cool, hip stuff you're wearing now will look SO dated in 20 years, so enjoy it now, and try to look kindly on older styles whose day has passed. Fashion is made for the moment.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    As far as I am concerned, they never went away. Many of them are timeless classics that have, and will, stand the test of time. I personally would not refer to them as "Stink Bombs".
    What petruccijc and Snafoo said. First time 'round the carousel it's all new and everything else looks dated, weird, not-for-me. But the greater pleasure is in letting yourself enjoy it all at once: the synolfaction of the historical eagle's nose. Or something. Learn to share fragrance fellowship with the wrinkled, the stooped, those whose lapels offend, those distant in space, those who smell of odd roots and herbs, the awkwardly restrained, and even the departed, my young brothers.

Fashion trends in perfume fascinate me. Before the turn of the last century, the trends moved very slowly: eaux de cologne in the 1700s, bouquets of flowers in the 1800s. When modern fashion took off, so did perfume. Aldehydes were big in the 1920s, starting with Chanel No. 5. In the 40s, everyone had to have gardenia, and lots of it. The seventies were musk, the eighties were oakmoss, the nineties were aquatics.

I do not think the eighties were an "aberration." The dictates of fashion change, so it would be normal for the frags of the seventies were pass out of fashion and something take their place in the eighties, to be eclipsed by the next big thing of the nineties. The eighties were not the first time that heavy fragrances, or fougeres for that matter, were popular either. Today, we are seeing heavier fragrances, though they are usually ambers or gourmands. Fougeres will come back, too, although they will not be eighties fougeres; they will be different in some way. I think the eighties fragrances will come back (probably have already come back) as retro chic. Of course, for some people, they never went away.

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Some say people were not as "clean" as today or smoked a lot, and so high sillage scents were needed then ..what is your opinion..
    I think I know who you are alluding to . . . http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210725

I wouldn't allude to fashion trends of the past being due to people being less hygienic, less enlightened, or more ignorant than today. In the eighties, the fashion trend was for big statements with no subtlety (anyone else remember the wall-o-bangs?), so the perfumes fit right in. We paid for that in the nineties with aquatic fragrances that recalled Howard Hughes' obsession with cleanliness.

Which might be a good thread topic in itself: "What would neanderthal man wear?"
    Civet. Pure civet.

It was simply the fashion of the time, and there's clearly no logic to fashion.
    Truer words never spoken. Look at the collar-up phenomenon: cool, then not cool, then cool again. Pushed-up suit sleeves: cool, not cool, cool. (For both of those trends, I would say not cool now, never was cool, but I am a bit of a stick-in-the-mud about these things.)

Note to all you 20-somethings out there - all the cool, hip stuff you're wearing now will look SO dated in 20 years, so enjoy it now, and try to look kindly on older styles whose day has passed.
    In 20 years it will be cool again. Now, in five to ten years, you will be burning every photo of yourself in a short-sleeve-shirt-over-a-long-sleeve-shirt that you can get your hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I think I know who you are alluding to . . . http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210725

Exactly right. and speaking of civet and its action and effects, there must be a thread in Basenotes. Interesting point

Dependent

I think what a lot of people think of as stink bombs are probably the chypres which I guess you either love or hate. Van Cleef pour homme for instance. Bergamot at the top and moss at the bottom and I can't get enough of them. They usually don't need from 4 to 12 spritzes. One or two is plenty. Three if you really want to get noticed.

more info

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chypre

I think that the marine/aquatic and sickenly sweet gourmand fragrances are the ones that will be seen as an aberration. The so-called "stink bombs" are much more in line with traditional perfumery than most of what is popular today.

I hope the stink bombs of this current decade are an aberration. The 00's have been pretty bad for designer fragrances.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Everything was bigger in the 80's: hair, shoulder pads, cars, cocaine habits, expense accounts and especially fragrance top notes. Perhaps lighter formulations of the 80's classics would smell OK in the current, smoke-free world we now live in.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th July 2008 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    I think that the marine/aquatic and sickenly sweet gourmand fragrances are the ones that will be seen as an aberration. The so-called "stink bombs" are much more in line with traditional perfumery than most of what is popular today.
    I couldn't have put it better myself. The efforts that the mainstream houses seem to produce as if on a conveyer line are much more offensive to my nose. The trend of the 'no scent' scents is an aberation.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I sure know I love a good stink bomb myself.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The so-called "stink bombs" are much more in line with traditional perfumery than most of what is popular today.
    You know, you're absolutely correct. Pretty conservative structure, just dialed up to "11."

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    The efforts that the mainstream houses seem to produce as if on a conveyer line are much more offensive to my nose.
    I don't think that this is a recent problem, though. Coco Chanel made a lot of money with No. 5, so everyone got on the aldehyde bandwagon for awhile. Then everything was musk musk musk, then everything was oakmoss oakmoss oakmoss. It might not seem that way now, because only the really good examples have survived, and the zillions of copycats have been discontinued. Personally, I can't wait for perfume's version of survival of the fittest to kill off entire genera of fruity-florals.

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    You know, you're absolutely correct. Pretty conservative structure, just dialed up to "11."
    Very good point, amped up to 10 may make them seem acceptable nowadays.

The 80's powerhouse scents are gone forever from the mainstream. The new trend for the next decade will be to make lighter "clean" scents which smell like soap. This is an attempt to appeal to those wanting a ban on fragrance in the workplace. The aquatics of yesterday will smell heavy compared to these "shower fresh" scents.

Aberrations? No. Benchmark standards? Timeless classics? Definitely. I can only hope that masculine fragrances evolve towards more bold, deep, complex fragrances inspired by classics than the fresh, clean, transparent, weak, watery fragrances that seem so inbred and derivative of one another. Woody, smoky fragrances along the lines of vintage Guerlain Derby would be a dream come true. But as long as I can find vintage classics, I will wear them. As DustB succinctly and accurately phrased it, I love a good "stink bomb" too.
    Last edited by Sloan; 20th July 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Throw the stink bombs my way. Bold, assertive fragrances continue to be made. Many Montale and Luten fragrances are in this mold.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

"Do you think the 80's so called "Stink Bombs" were an aberration in perfume history?"

No

I think that covers it - a succinct yet elegant answer that addresses all of the nuances the question implies. I have looked at my proposed response from many angles, anything additional would only detract from the overall statement. Okay, I am going to hit 'enter' now.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

If fragrances were music the marine/aquatic would be "Easy Listening" and the "sweet gourmand fragrances" would be pre-teenage girl music. I prefer my fragrances to have a bit more masculine energy to them; to be more complex; more interesting; more assertive. I have to agree that the fragrances popular today are the aberration. I think the "Stink bomb" designation is really only applicable to people who over apply.
    In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane - Oscar Wilde

No fragrance can be truly called an aberration in perfume history. Because:

1. You are judging it with a 2008 point of view. Trends change. What it is trendy today will be a thing of the past tomorrow.
    2. Because in one way or another, they inspired the fragrances we have today.
    3. You talk about perfumes as having absolute quality evident for everyone. These are good perfumes, these are bad perfumes. Everything is subject to taste and the taste of an individual cannot say something was an aberration or not.

Are they going to return? Nothing is certain, obviously. The "fashion runs in circles" idea is a perception, not a rule. Even if small motifs return, it is never quite the same concept. There is the possibility of houses running out of ideas and having to go back to the 80's for inspiration. After all, Aqua di Gio can stay 'hip' only for certain amount of time.
    Last edited by irish; 20th July 2008 at 09:51 PM.

afraafra ...
    Do you like/use or own any of the "Stink Bombs" .. you are refering too ?
    (( Azzaro PH, Yatagan, Giorgio Beverly Hills etc etc ))

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Everything was bigger in the 80's: hair, shoulder pads, cars, cocaine habits, expense accounts and especially fragrance top notes. Perhaps lighter formulations of the 80's classics would smell OK in the current, smoke-free world we now live in.
    Quite an interesting point! Fragrances are weaker today because there is a lot less smoking going on (especially in clubs/bars!). I never thought of that, honestly.

Do you think this is something that fragrance designers are taking into account though? Or does it just happen to fit the bill and the frags are weaker because the manufacturers are getting cheap?

Fragrances are like clothing styles - a continuous circle. I can hardly wait until the so called "stink bombs" come back into fashion. Todays watered down stuff leaves me unsatisfied, except Montale - he's bringing back the glory of perfume all by himself - and others will follow soon.

Dependent

Money was big in the 80's but not as big as the 70's

77' a three bedroom house with lots of space 20 miles away from the west side of Manhattan - $47,500

I noticed Azzaro PH listed as a stink bomb?

If so what would you call Trussardi Uomo?
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st July 2008 at 02:29 AM.