Code of Conduct

Default CDG Incense Series - Blind Buy Trilogy Completed

pic of the whole blind buy gang together(Narcisco Rodriguez missed in pic)

CDG incense series:

The incense series in general, startled me at first. kyoto and Jaisalmer would probably be the two which would come across embracing you immediately, saying that it doesnt mean it doesnt have substance, only that the other two, Avignon and Zagorsk, are pretty bold, no holds barred, really intense scents but, couple of wears in to it and one would appreciate all of these for their respective qualities.

Incense series is dark, woody, smoky, mysterious, resinous, earthy, dusty and loaded with incense in general. though they all have the same characters, they smell poles apart from each other in their approach. a definite for someone who is looking for an adventure, a spiritual and meditative adventure in perfumery.

Kyoto: i have never stepped inside Japan, leave alone Kyoto . it seems the be the most "wearable" of the incense series along with Jaisalmer. Kyoto smells of temple made of woods with ceiling darkened by the soot of incense, there is a odd ink note which reminds one of CDG 2 for a sec. Kyoto opens with a very crushed leafy note which is almost violet in approach... the midnotes carry fresh breeze from the cedar/pine forest along with a healthy dose of powdery florals and woody notes, all this on a solid base of amber and incense. The comparison to Christian lacroix Tumulte is very true, only tumulte lacks the intense incense laden basenotes, neverthless, tumulte could be a very good substitute for someone who wants to get a good idea of what Kyoto is all about.

Jaisalmer: opens with lush spicy notes, mainly those which evoke sweet aroma, smells of barks with a touch of chilli. the spicy notes is well rounded by midnotes with a heavy hand of woody notes, this scent is not dry but, its definitely warm though... somewhere in midnotes i felt as if i have reached the basenotes and there would be no development here on, oh well, i was wrong, the woody notes starts to wear off revealing the sweetest incense notes, i think this one is the "sweetest" of the incense series with a very camphory cool feel potent enuff to numb ones nostrils....definitely wearable, be prepared for "what are you wearing! you smell exotic." comment.

Avignon: opening to mid notes, this has one of most INTENSE "Frankinsence" note. its as if i was put inside a chest filled with Frankinsence for over the last century or so, its very very very intense. it takes almost an hour for this rustic note ot wear off; then revealing the altar surroung it with massive ceilings and aged stone which has absorbed the soot from this incense for as long as mankind. the coldness of the stone is to be sniffed to be believed. by the time i reached the base i encountered the infamous "dust" notes giving the basenotes a very ambery, dry feel with hints of burnt woods. A priest would defintiely find this interesting. wearable? well, couple of wears will tell me if it i could wear to it work, i dont wanna end up conducting a Mass..
    This one is potent, exciting and unlike any other scent i have sniffed before, however, the smell is not unfamiliar, every christian knows this smell. if one would like to know how this smells, please go to the nearest church

Zagorsk: Zagorsk is the smokiest of the four i have of the incense series, right of the sprayer, this scent starts working its vibes like a virus, smoke fills up the room with strong incense notes, this one again has some kind of incense which literally makes me numb, it stays this way for almost 2 hours or so finally retiring to sweet burnt woody notes ..it reminded me of jacomo de jacomo quite a bit until midnotes. just a reference

Lacroix Tumulte: Nice scent, very similar to Kyoto, only this is much more woody with a odd ink note and a very subtle vicks vaporub kinda coolness. lovely stuff, a definite for parties. if you are looking for something very mysterious, look no further!
    Last edited by jenson; 28th July 2008 at 05:25 AM. Reason: spellin errors

Default Re: Blind Buy Trilogy Completed (oh well for the time being) - Part 3

Nice reviews, and that's a great pic. The Incense Series is great. The one you don't have, Ourazazate, is the only one from the series that doesn't do much for me. On my skin, it never can decide if it wants to be sweet or salty. Strange scent that never quite sorts itself out.

Smile Re: Blind Buy Trilogy Completed (oh well for the time being) - Part 3

I love the photo. Everybody is lined up like soldiers. SO neat and tidy. Appeals to my obsessive-compulsive tendencies!!! Lizzie

Brilliant pic and reviews! Now to add these to my future purchase list

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Indie Guy: Thanx a million for your comments and also your time. appreciate it. same goes for you javagreen, thnx much buddy.

Liz: i think we are sailing on the same boat, im too a victim of OCD Soldiers eh..on second glance i felt the same way

Default Re: CDG Incense Series - Blind Buy Trilogy Completed

Great pics, inspired reviews, Jenson. Your post brings to mind some of whatI love about Basenotes.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Brilliant reviews Jenson ,, and a great pic to compliment the thread as well .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I'm heavily considerring blowing some of my tax refund on either Kyoto, SMW or Gucci pH... Havent bought any 'niche' frags yet (narrowly missed SMW on ebay) but SMW would be buying blind, which I'm trying to avoid from now on.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Yes, yes, yes, and yes! Tumulte and Kyoto are VERY similar. To me, Kyoto has more quality and is more of a head turner.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by uli View Post
    Great pics, inspired reviews, Jenson. Your post brings to mind some of whatI love about Basenotes.
    Uli, i clearly remember how you clarified certain doubts tht i had in terms of Classifying Chypres, i had got De la renta Pour Lui then and was a newbie to this wonderful forum. thnx for your notes then and now! sincerely appreciate it.

Dimitrios: Thnx very much reading by! sincerely appreciate your time.

Anthony87: spend enough time on the fragrance review section...every review in there counts and a gives one a good idea of a fragrance..and hey, nothin could beat the thrill of blind buys! expect the unexpected in a very much expected way.

KiatBkk: bang on target! Kyoto has lot of depth and character. neverthless, both the fragrances are different enough to be in one wardrobe..
    Last edited by jenson; 21st July 2008 at 09:07 PM.

A gourmandish incense frag which probably doesn't get it's just due is Jacomo Rouge for men.

jenson, yet another fantastic set of reviews and even an awesome picture to go with it. It seriously makes me want to go buy full bottles
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    A gourmandish incense frag which probably doesn't get it's just due is Jacomo Rouge for men.
    i second you on that. i absolutely adore jacomo Rouge. the way it smells close ot skin is just amazing. more than gourmand, its a spicy/woody scent for me...

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    even an awesome picture to go with it.
    well, you know where tht inspiration came from.

Very nice pics Jenson !!

Its my turn to ask you , which camera did you use here ?

Thanks
    a
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

Looks more like an Incense Tetralogy. Perfect while reading Yukio Mishima's Tetralogy or watching his biographical movie that just came out on Criterion dvd called, "Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters". Wonder which scent I choose for each book. More on that later...
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Blog Entries

jenson -

Thanks very much for the reviews. (Plus, that's a nice little wardrobe you got going there!).

I just received samples of the CdG Incense series. I'll enjoy seeing how they stack up on my skin. Since the name "Zagorsk" appeals to me, I'll make it my SotE.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Brent. Let me know what you think. I had thought of CDG as a 'lesser' house for some reason, but I have smelled 8 88 in person and it was very good. Jock with SCents has it for a good price. I like smoke, and am tempted to try something and Jenson wrote some great reviews. However, Montale, with its longevity and projection, sorta holds my interest at present. If you find one that does each of these, let me know. I have Fumerie Turque and am tempted to hold off on a smoke scent until I use it up, and am looking for rose and something maybe along that lines. But the prices for CDG aint bad.

Blog Entries

Great reviews and very nice pics. Love that cabinet you've got there. Looks so much nicer than some of the collections I've seen on here... yes, very orderly! To me, Tumulte is all about wood... I read somewhere that it's got an overdose of Iso E Super, which I think must explain why it seems to do only one thing (Home Depot wood lot/cedar?) so consistently for so long.

What is the one at the far right on the bottom shelf in the ornate purple bottle? It is the most decorative one in the collection.

Blog Entries

My initial, brief review of Zagorsk from two hours of wearing:

It starts out like burning leaves - not sharp. A mellow smokiness. Like catching a whiff of burning leaves on an autumn breeze.

Then it turns to incense. Precisely incense. In fact, it becomes the incense that was used in an Episcopal church I attended in the mid 90s. Not "reminds me of" or "smells like". It is that incense. Still smoky. In fact, it made me cough several times.

After two hours it has calmed down to a nice, sweet incense. Now, sans the smokiness. That's been replaced by a birchy kind of scent - maybe sap very lightly. A good meditative scent in the dry down with a calming influence. Especially after the "I've just been incensed!" start.

Sillage doesn't seem too strong and it stays close to the skin. I love how Zagorsk smells and it's very well made. This scent alone could make me a CdG fan. But the church association is so strong that this won't be a bottle buy.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

I suggest buying a few different incense sticks (cost about 10 cents each) to compare to incense frags. You don't have to burn them, just smell them from time to time. I bought some and found that they helped me identify notes in frags better. Also, if money is an issue, you can buy the sticks first, smell them on and off for a while, then sample the expensive incense frags. You might find that the sticks are all you need to get your incense fix, and you can save a lot of money that you can use to spend on other frags!
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd July 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Last edited by jenson; 22nd July 2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: multiple quote

Quote Originally Posted by achanna View Post
    Very nice pics Jenson !!

Its my turn to ask you , which camera did you use here ?

Thanks
    a
    It's my humble Sony DSC W120

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    Looks more like an Incense Tetralogy. Perfect while reading Yukio Mishima's Tetralogy or watching his biographical movie that just came out on Criterion dvd called, "Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters". Wonder which scent I choose for each book. More on that later...
    I have no clue of what you are talkin about! but i'll certainly look up, sounds very interesting! thnx

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    jenson -

Thanks very much for the reviews. (Plus, that's a nice little wardrobe you got going there!).

I just received samples of the CdG Incense series. I'll enjoy seeing how they stack up on my skin. Since the name "Zagorsk" appeals to me, I'll make it my SotE.
    Thanx Hoos! im glad you liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Brent. Let me know what you think. I had thought of CDG as a 'lesser' house for some reason, but I have smelled 8 88 in person and it was very good. Jock with SCents has it for a good price. I like smoke, and am tempted to try something and Jenson wrote some great reviews. However, Montale, with its longevity and projection, sorta holds my interest at present. If you find one that does each of these, let me know. I have Fumerie Turque and am tempted to hold off on a smoke scent until I use it up, and am looking for rose and something maybe along that lines. But the prices for CDG aint bad.
    Please test before you buy. and if it is Rose tht you are looking for, No.88 wont fail you..a 100ml is available for $115 in US

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    Great reviews and very nice pics. Love that cabinet you've got there. Looks so much nicer than some of the collections I've seen on here... yes, very orderly! To me, Tumulte is all about wood... I read somewhere that it's got an overdose of Iso E Super, which I think must explain why it seems to do only one thing (Home Depot wood lot/cedar?) so consistently for so long.
    im glad you liked my wardrobe! but i dont store the scents over there. i have a cabinet where i store them along with the rest of the gang, safely tucked in their boxes and in a cool dark place. and yes, in an orderly fashion, like Liz, im too a obsessive control freak

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    What is the one at the far right on the bottom shelf in the ornate purple bottle? It is the most decorative one in the collection.
    Thats' Christian Lacroix Tumulte my freind. matter of fact if you are interested in it, you may approach Zr0,e as he is selling tht on the sale Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    My initial, brief review of Zagorsk from two hours of wearing:

It starts out like burning leaves - not sharp. A mellow smokiness. Like catching a whiff of burning leaves on an autumn breeze.

Then it turns to incense. Precisely incense. In fact, it becomes the incense that was used in an Episcopal church I attended in the mid 90s. Not "reminds me of" or "smells like". It is that incense. Still smoky. In fact, it made me cough several times.

After two hours it has calmed down to a nice, sweet incense. Now, sans the smokiness. That's been replaced by a birchy kind of scent - maybe sap very lightly. A good meditative scent in the dry down with a calming influence. Especially after the "I've just been incensed!" start.

Sillage doesn't seem too strong and it stays close to the skin. I love how Zagorsk smells and it's very well made. This scent alone could make me a CdG fan. But the church association is so strong that this won't be a bottle buy.
    wow, excellent review, thnx for your perspective Hoos! wish i could elaborate like that!
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd July 2008 at 07:02 AM.

Wow, that's pretty. I just smelled a CdG for the first time yesterday and am totally enchanted. Kyoto sounds magical.