Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Please choose Hermes scents you have tried and liked, multiple choice allowed

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Terre d'Hermès 2006

70 61.40%
  • Bel Ami 1986

26 22.81%
  • Équipage 1970

25 21.93%
  • Rocabar 1998

22 19.30%
  • Eau d'Hermès 1951

23 20.18%
  • Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé 2004

11 9.65%
  • Eau d'Orange Verte 1979 (as unisex)

32 28.07%
  • Eau des Merveilles 2004 (as unisex)

16 14.04%
  • Hermèssence Osmanthe Yunnan 2005

4 3.51%
  • Hermèssence Poivre Samarcande 2004

10 8.77%
  • Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka 2004

14 12.28%
  • Elixir des Merveilles 2006

9 7.89%
  • Concentrée D'Orange Verte 2004

15 13.16%
  • Calèche 1961 (as unisex)

5 4.39%
  • Hiris 1999 (as unisex)

13 11.40%
  • Kelly Calèche 2007 (as unisex)

5 4.39%
  • Un Jardin sur le Nil 2005

31 27.19%
  • Un Jardin en Méditerranée 2003

22 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Best Hermès Male (& unisex) Fragrances

Though I know a lot of members do not like polls, but I believe choosing your favorite Hermes scents will be very useful for the majority of Basenote members...please only vote for scents you have tried and not on hearsay and reputation of a fragrance.
    Please only vote for scents you have tried, and descibe them if possible.

Thanks for talking part and for your time.
    Last edited by afraafra; 21st July 2008 at 05:51 PM.

Default Re: Hermes Male Scents Poll 18 choices, please only vote for scents you have tried

Please be kind enough to jot down your views on scents you have voted for.
    Thanks

Default Re: Best Hermès Male (& unisex) Fragrances

Obviously Hermès fans are a little scarce on Basenotes Community..

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I would rate the Hermès selection for men as very good — way more hits than misses. They are a bit pricey, but then, one pays for quality.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I'm an Hermes fan...I just haven't had an opportunity to try them all. I voted for Terre D'Hermes in your poll because I rediscovered it last month in Florida (on my stepfather's dresser) and fell in love. It was so perfect in the weather there - very cooling and dry, but had some longevity. I think it's very unisex. I remember liking it when it firs came out, but this time it was LOVE. I also tried his Equipage. I like it too, but it's more old fashioned, and rather spicy, which I had not noticed in cooler weather. The Florida heat & humidity brought out its spicy aspect to my nose, but I thought it was too much in that kind of weather. I like the Jardins that I've tried (Mediterranee and Nil). I've got so much catching up to do on my sampling.

Blog Entries

I'm a bigger fan of the Hermessence line than Hermes' separate line. They're more my style. I find that the Hermes' branded stuff is good but they definitely have a stronger presence.

I just get tired of smelling the same thing continuously, for 8 or more hours. But, for TdH, when it does change (for me that's about 15 hours into it), it's amazing. Tolerating TdH for 15 hours just for that, though, is asking a bit much.

The Hermessence scents will come and go and evolve more agreeably. A spray of Poivre Samarcande to the back of the neck will catch you by surprise, make you smile, and leave you wanting more. Making the scents more interesting to me.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Blog Entries

Terre D'Hermes is going to win this race because of its popularity. But Bel Ami and Vetiver Tonka are the best Hermes in my opinion.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

After Guerlain, Hermes is my favorite house. I'll always have a bottle of Eau d'Hermes in my collection - I feel it's one of Roudnitska's best creations.
    Ellena's re-working of Orange Vert is nothing short of miraculous, he took a classic Eau and gave it a pair of balls. His re-working of Roucel's 24 Faubourg, did the same magic, only in reverse. Taking a 80's powerhouse and taming it into almost an Eau, quite unisex and light as air, a gem.
    Equipage is the finest creation that Creed never made. They must be green with envy over this one.
    Bel Ami - if it is still the original formula or not, I do not know - represents what all power 80's fragrances were when at their best.
    I have to admit, I am not a fan of Terre, one of the few here, I guess.
    I'm not a big fan of Caleche either, regular or Delicate and Kelly and Hiris are just OK.
    Out of the Hermèssence series, I really enjoy Vétiver Tonka the best.
    The Jardins are mehs for me.
    While Eau d'Merv- the parfum extrait to be exact, is a salt water bath in paradise.
    So many gems, what a great house.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st July 2008 at 08:33 PM.

Sur la Plage

I don't know that there are any that I truly dislike, but my favorites are:

Eau d'Hermes
    Terre d'Hermes
    Elixir des Merveilles
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well I do like Un Jardin après la Mousson and I find it quite long lasting on my skin.I think it actually lasts more than the 2 previous jardins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    After Guerlain, Hermes is my favorite house. I'll always have a bottle of Eau d'Hermes in my collection - I feel it's one of Roudnitska's best creations.
    Ellena's re-working of Orange Vert is nothing short of miraculous, he took a classic Eau and gave it a pair of balls. His re-working of Roucel's 24 Faubourg, did the same magic, only in reverse. Taking a 80's powerhouse and taming it into almost an Eau, quite unisex and light as air, a gem.
    Equipage is the finest creation that Creed never made. They must be green with envy over this one.
    Bel Ami - if it is still the original formula or not, I do not know - represents what all power 80's fragrances were when at their best.
    I have to admit, I am not a fan of Terre, one of the few here, I guess.
    I'm not a big fan of Caleche either, regular or Delicate and Kelly and Hiris are just OK.
    Out of the Hermèssence series, I really enjoy Vétiver Tonka the best.
    The Jardins are mehs for me.
    While Eau d'Merv- the parfum extrait to be exact, is a salt water bath in paradise.
    So many gems, what a great house.

Thanks for some very useful insight, I'd love to try Orange Vert (Conc), Eau d'Hermes, Eau d'Merv-
    24 Faubourg now in the shops is Ellena's? is it unisex INYO

I've only tried (and tried and tried again hoping I'd 'see the light') Terre d'Hermes but everytime it turns into lemon dishsoap on me, so much so that whenever I wash the dishes I have flashbacks to the last time I worse TdH .

I'm on the hunt for a light, fresh summer fragrance. Citrus, mint, or even an interesting aquatic. What should I look at sampling from Hermes that might fit the bill? (sorry if this isn't the place to ask. I think I'll make a separate thread, too, but I'm interested in trying more Hermes scents and hence why I'm asking here too).

edit: Missed Ruggles response, whoops. Hmm, looks like I'll have to try the new 24 Fauborg.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 22nd July 2008 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I voted for Terre D'Hermes... I think it's very unisex.
    Whaaaaaaaat?
    I don't care much about whether a fragrance is marketed for men or women, and I wouldn't mind at all wearing a female fragrance. But Terre d'Hermes on a female? I love to smell my favorites on the opposite sex really, even if they're a bit masculine, but again I feel Terer d'Hermes is a very masculine fragrance. But hey if you can pull it off and your chemistry somehow tones down the masculine side of Terre d'Hermes then great for you, it really is a masterpiece.

My favorite Hermes fragrances are Terre d'Hermes, Elixir des Merveilles and Hiris, but I have yet to smell a Hermes that didn't impress me.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Eau d'Orange Verte is clearly one to try...

Quote Originally Posted by afraafra View Post
    Thanks for some very useful insight, I'd love to try Orange Vert (Conc), Eau d'Hermes, Eau d'Merv- 24 Faubourg now in the shops is Ellena's? is it unisex INYO
    Ellena's version of 24, Faubourg is called 24, Faubourg Eau Delicate. It's supposedly a limited edition, but I've seen it on the shelves of Sephora.
    The initial top notes are on the feminine side, but the jasmine is so clear and expensive smelling, who cares? The base is composed of the sheerest wood notes I've ever experienced.

I never liked Terre D'Hermes... but loved Un Jardin sur le Nil the only other I've tried
    Last edited by afraafra; 22nd July 2008 at 05:10 PM.

why didnt anyone mention Un Jardin après la Mousson?
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I've only tried (and tried and tried again hoping I'd 'see the light') Terre d'Hermes but everytime it turns into lemon dishsoap on me, so much so that whenever I wash the dishes I have flashbacks to the last time I worse TdH .

I'm on the hunt for a light, fresh summer fragrance. Citrus, mint, or even an interesting aquatic. What should I look at sampling from Hermes that might fit the bill? (sorry if this isn't the place to ask. I think I'll make a separate thread, too, but I'm interested in trying more Hermes scents and hence why I'm asking here too).

edit: Missed Ruggles response, whoops. Hmm, looks like I'll have to try the new 24 Fauborg.
    I'm wearing - and highly recommend - Vetiver Tonka from the Hermesscence line. It's a little more tonka than vetiver, but it has a lot of the freshness of TdH.

I finally got to a Hermes boutique to try the line last week. You no longer have to pay $200 for a 100ml. You can now buy a 'sample box' of four Hermesscence fragrances (15ml each) for $135 (or you can get four samples of the same fragrance). I got the sample box and the SA gave me two 4ml samples of the remainder of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Whaaaaaaaat?
    I don't care much about whether a fragrance is marketed for men or women, and I wouldn't mind at all wearing a female fragrance. But Terre d'Hermes on a female? I love to smell my favorites on the opposite sex really, even if they're a bit masculine, but again I feel Terer d'Hermes is a very masculine fragrance. But hey if you can pull it off and your chemistry somehow tones down the masculine side of Terre d'Hermes then great for you, it really is a masterpiece.

My favorite Hermes fragrances are Terre d'Hermes, Elixir des Merveilles and Hiris, but I have yet to smell a Hermes that didn't impress me.

Terre is absolutely delicious on women. Trust me, it smells completely different!

I voted for Eau, Terre, Sur Le Nil, Caleche, Rocabar and Hiris. They're my faves.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Smile Re: Best Hermès Male (& unisex) Fragrances

Terre D Hermes

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Terre D'Hermes is may favorite Hermes without a doubt.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    Whaaaaaaaat?
    I never asked anybody's opinion when I wore Terre d'Hermes in the Florida heat and humidity, so maybe it did smell masculine on me. It certainly wasn't feminine - but since I found it so wearable (as I find few masculines) - I would consider it unisex.

Blog Entries

Hermès is almost certainly my favorite house. When I first tested Terre d'Hermès - my first from Hermès - I was a convert almost immediately.

While I generally think of TdH as a masculine, it is quite outdoorsy, and has a strong citrus and floral component. Worn by the right woman with the right clothes, and under the right circumstances, I would find it extremely attractive and feminine - even sexy.

My wife and I also own the Jardin series. She loves the greenery of Nil, but it doesn't work on me. I like Meditéranée, and find that one to be a true unisex. On me, it is a spicy, figgy cedar - almost more plainly masculine than TdH. But on my wife, it seems quite feminine, and her girlfriends like it, too. Mousson also strikes me as a unisex aqua, soft and green enough to suit my wife, and aqua enough to suit me. But there are days when the greenery overcomes me, and I want to put algicides in the pool.

On my list are Equipage, Rocabar, Bel Ami, and the Hermèssence line. I dream of my first trip to one of the Hermès storefronts.

I think 24 Faubourg is heavenly, but my wife doesn't like it, unfortunately. I also like Kelly Calèche and Elixir des Merveilles, but she doesn't like those, either. I think I could probably pull off Kelly Calèche in a male "rose water" sort of way, but I'm not sure about the others. I definitely want to try Hiris, since I love Bois d'Iris, and expect to love Hiris, too.

I'm thinking about getting the limited edition of TdH. I have the flanker deodorant, which is a nice complement to the EdT. I like to think about what kind of true flanker EdT they could create for TdH. That might make a nice thread. Let's just hope it's not a sport cologne. Maybe a Noir version (desert night theme) for elegant wear. The way life comes out in the cool of the desert night. I'd buy it blind in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Hermès is almost certainly my favorite house. When I first tested Terre d'Hermès - my first from Hermès - I was a convert almost immediately.

While I generally think of TdH as a masculine, it is quite outdoorsy, and has a strong citrus and floral component. Worn by the right woman with the right clothes, and under the right circumstances, I would find it extremely attractive and feminine - even sexy.

My wife and I also own the Jardin series. She loves the greenery of Nil, but it doesn't work on me. I like Meditéranée, and find that one to be a true unisex. On me, it is a spicy, figgy cedar - almost more plainly masculine than TdH. But on my wife, it seems quite feminine, and her girlfriends like it, too. Mousson also strikes me as a unisex aqua, soft and green enough to suit my wife, and aqua enough to suit me. But there are days when the greenery overcomes me, and I want to put algicides in the pool.

On my list are Equipage, Rocabar, Bel Ami, and the Hermèssence line. I dream of my first trip to one of the Hermès storefronts.

I think 24 Faubourg is heavenly, but my wife doesn't like it, unfortunately. I also like Kelly Calèche and Elixir des Merveilles, but she doesn't like those, either. I think I could probably pull off Kelly Calèche in a male "rose water" sort of way, but I'm not sure about the others. I definitely want to try Hiris, since I love Bois d'Iris, and expect to love Hiris, too.

I'm thinking about getting the limited edition of TdH. I have the flanker deodorant, which is a nice complement to the EdT. I like to think about what kind of true flanker EdT they could create for TdH. That might make a nice thread. Let's just hope it's not a sport cologne. Maybe a Noir version (desert night theme) for elegant wear. The way life comes out in the cool of the desert night. I'd buy it blind in a heartbeat!

Thanks Redneck P for an awesome lowdown on Hermes , very useful..

Basenotes Institution

I'm late to replying to this thread - but I just had to mention that Hermes is also one of my favorite houses, right alongside Comme des Garcons, Guerlain and Serge Lutens. Almost any new Hermes scent I am first in line to smell, analyze, etc.

I voted for all scents except for these four which I just can't get into: Osmanthe Yunnan, Rocabar, Hiris and Caleche.

I agree with Ruggles: 24 Faubourg Eau Delicate is really, really good.

My vote goes for Paprika Brasil and Vetiver Tonka
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Thumbs up Re: Best Hermès Male (& unisex) Fragrances

I picked.

Bel Ami
    Equipage
    Orange Verte (Conc Version)

Equipage is a must (I love it on men and women this one)
    Bel Ami is very nice but preferably on a man
    I also love 24 Faubourg (that I wouldn't mind smelling on a man ...) and Calèche.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

I'd say that I hate to be the odd man out here but truth is, I really don't. Sorry guys and gals but your emperor has no clothes. I'm wearing Terre de whatever and to paraphrase Senator Lloyd Bentsen, "I knew Hermes cologne; Hermes cologne was a friend of mine. little square bottle, you're no Hermes." Sure, it's wearable enough and no, probably won't be for sale at Wal Mart anytime soon. But set it alongside Rocabar? Bel Ami? Equipage? Even that old, shy and retiring gentleman, Eau d' Hermes has character to spare when sprayed alongside this newcomer. TdH reminds me of a passable Gucci scent or perhaps the Hugo Boss take on what something fresh with a hint of woods might be. But not Hermes.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Equipage is a must (I love it on men and women this one)
    Bel Ami is very nice but preferably on a man
    I also love 24 Faubourg (that I wouldn't mind smelling on a man ...) and Calèche.
    Calèche Fleurs de Méditerranée is also a remarkable scent: florals from all around the Mediterranean basin (Moroccan mimosa, Turkish rose, Egyptian jasmine) with beeswax absolute and heliotrope. It's too bad that this fragrance is too recherché to make it into the list, especially in the Men's Fragrance Forum. Still, I think a light application can be stunning on some men... like me!?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca