Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Vintage Guerlain Kadine on eBay - $1,136 - was it one of us?

I happened upon this listing while searching for Guerlain extraits, and was shocked by the close price. The winner is "guerlain_fanatic", which part of me fancies might be our own Mr. Guerlain... but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it were somebody in the perfume forum/blog world!

Anybody had a chance to try this one, either vintage or in the "microwaves" at La Maison? What did you think?

Default Re: Vintage Guerlain Kadine on eBay - $1,136 - was it one of us?

Anybody have further info on Kadine? There are no reviews in the Basenotes directory.
    -

Blog Entries

Either that, or from what I have noticed lately, a few of the vintage item sellers offer a second chance to the second highest bidder. I suspect some of them might be getting some friends or family bid an exuberant amount.

Quote Originally Posted by kopah View Post
    I happened upon this listing while searching for Guerlain extraits, and was shocked by the close price. The winner is "guerlain_fanatic", which part of me fancies might be our own Mr. Guerlain... but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if it were somebody in the perfume forum/blog world!

Anybody had a chance to try this one, either vintage or in the "microwaves" at La Maison? What did you think?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Anybody have further info on Kadine? There are no reviews in the Basenotes directory.
    Here is my attempt at a translation of the official Guerlain description of Kadine, taken from a brochure:

KADINE (Jacques Guerlain - 1911)
    The portrait of Kadine, glimpsed at Topkapi, haunted him for several months. The favourite wife of the sultan was not only a great beauty, but her exceptional olfactory sense was the stuff of legend. Jacques Guerlain never saw the painting again, but he desired to translate his emotion in composing a perfume that he wanted to be tender, delicate and moving, which could only be a powdery floral. Like a veil next to the skin, it starts with an anisic note that awakens the bergamot, the softness of which is prolonged in a very soft floral heart of jasmine ringed with cassia needle. The sillage is not to be outdone in tenderness, with the surprising union of proud iris wedded to voluptuous vanilla. Thus was KADINE born in 1911.
    From the 1000fragrances blog:

Kadine (1911) is the spicy (clove, eugenol, isoeugenol) twist of HB idea, more floral, lighter and less sweet, somewhere at half way between Après l'Ondée and HB. An incredible perfume that I simply adore!
    Not much other information available otherwise. But that's enough to make me want to try it!

This could quite possibly have been bid on by a perfume museum. That is a STEEP price indeed for your average enthusiast!
    .................................................. .................................................. .............................................
    Feb 2012 - I requested my account be deleted. Remember, be friendly to many, but friends with few.

whoever this person is, they are a baller! if you check out their feedback as a buyer, there is a perfume bottle they paid over 1800 for.

i wish i had that kind of cash to sling around....
    Yup, I smell good!

Thank you for the thread and for sharing the beautiful, descriptive writing.
    I wouldn't even dream of collecting vintage itmes like that but felt compelled to make a comment. Look at that package, the way it was presented. The value it represented, its meaning, the description, the philosophy behind it. If that isn't art and it doesn't mean anything, then I don't know what is.
    A symbol of days long gone by...sigh...
    Can we think of any house that treats a fragrance like this these days? Guerlain? MPG?
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Very Impressive....this just shows how enthusiastic some people are when it comes to collecting perfumes..or perhaps when people like a particular house they can go to great lengths to make their collection complete..

I also remember seeing a bottle of 'Djedi' that sold for US$1200 on ebay around a year ago.

Allright -my two pence here: I just retrieved an antique bottle of Kadine, Baccarat Crystal - from the customs. Had a hard time telling them it is only an old, nearly empty bottle, nothing spectacular... grin.

I will have to clean it and then open it - and believe me, I will celebrate this moment - as there is still about 0,5cm of perfume left !!! I am bursting with anticipation - and I will for sure post here about what I smell from that old, condensed juice inside and post pictures then in my blog.
    And - I did not pay that much. Ouch... never ever. Though this seems to be my Christmas present to me
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera
    http://duftreise.blogspot.com/

I look forward to reading more abut the Kadine too. Savour those last precious millimeters

I for sure will. I am excited like a little girl getting her first "old" lipstick from Mommy. Seems I am far too addicted to these old treasures, which are - for me - the last signs of a lost culture of beeing. But I drift off to philosophical thoughts now - and I should _work_ :-) and not read here. Sigh..
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera

Lean in closer, dear

Blog Entries

Wow, LaTanguera. Pictures? Pictures?
    "I live in the garden, I just sleep in the house." -- Jim Long
    Currently wearing: Aria di Capri by Carthusia

Soon soon... I am stuck inmidst the month's end publishing frenzy - and will take pics once I can think and act normal again. If so.
    kind regards,
    La Tanguera

Basenotes Institution

Yes I saw that listing for Kadine ! Amazing !
    Petty small minded people have no place in my life.
    Currently wearing: Angel by Thierry Mugler

This thread goes back to 2008 and then again in late 2010. We never found out what it was like.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by donna255 View Post
    This thread goes back to 2008 and then again in late 2010. We never found out what it was like.
    Maybe the Kadine bottle she opened was filled with liquid anthrax
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit