Code of Conduct

Default Clearly copied, inspired, flankers of existing fragrances...

I'd love to reopen the box of canned worms of closely formulated and obviously (and, or intentionally) "inspired" fragrances. We can start off with a couple...

Baby Doll YSL, In Love Again YSL (I find similarities between ILA and CKOne, but it makes perhaps sense since CKone was said to be based off of Jean Claude Ellena's Bulgari tea accord in which appears in almost all of his creations)
    Bulgari Au The Vert, CkOne
    Rose Ikebana, Paul Smith Rose, Green Tea by Roget and Gallet, off in the distance, Kelly Caleche,
    Creed Silver Mountain Water, Bond No 9 Hamptons (and many others between the two houses)
    Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water
    Creed Imperial, Unforgiveable
    Base of Jasmin de Nuit Different Company and Musc Ravageur by FM
    Eau Sauvage Dior, Eau Dynamisante Clarins

This is not to create a debate, as each one to his own interpretations, but to encourage a discussion... I'm interested in discovering some new connections that you have made.

Default Re: Clearly copied, inspired, flankers of existing fragrances...

Creed Himalaya - Paco Robanne XS

Kouros~Orange Spice
    Emporio Armani~Santal Imperial
    Original Santal~Joop
    Original Vetiver~Mugler Cologne
    Ambre Canelle~Old Spice
    Antaeus~Acier Aluminium
    Parfums de Nicolai New York~Bois du Portugal

Bond Wallstreet and Unforgivable.
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 21st July 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Smile Re: Clearly copied, inspired, flankers of existing fragrances...

Paul Sebastian (1979)--------- Old spice
    Police (original)-------------------D&Gph
    Penhaligons Quercus----------Ck One

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    Bond Wallstreet and Unforgivable.
    I was just about to say this! I can't understand how people say Wall Street and Unforgivable smell like MI when really they just smell like each other! MI is very unique to my nose... I haven't smelled anything yet that comes close.

Polo Crest and Chevignon are so close it's staggering. They both came out in 1992 as well. I wonder who made it out to the counters first.

Considering it's one of my all time favorite smells, I'm GLAD they both existed because Polo Crest is long gone but Chevignon can still be found.
    Last edited by atrac; 22nd July 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    I was just about to say this! I can't understand how people say Wall Street and Unforgivable smell like MI when really they just smell like each other! MI is very unique to my nose... I haven't smelled anything yet that comes close.
    You know - I just got my wall street the other day (yesterday), and I put it on and I was like...what the hell, this smells very very similar to Unforgivable! So I ran and got my Unforgivable to compare thinking maybe I got a fake. For like 2 hours I seriously couldn't tell the difference. I tried spraying them on different note cards, just smelling from their sprayer it was VERY hard to notice any BIG difference. I finally was able to tell a substantial difference to tell me I wasn't sent a fake by the fact that after spraying each fragrance on opposite wrists and waiting approx 20-30 minutes that first and foremost the Wall Street was still there in full force, while unforgivable was a bit faded. Finally, I noticed the bond had a more of a "watermelon" smell to it that I didn't get in unforgivable. Other than that, although the notes seem to be completely different its amazing the similarity in smell they both have.
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 22nd July 2008 at 07:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    You know - I just got my wall street the other day (yesterday), and I put it on and I was like...what the hell, this smells very very similar to Unforgivable! So I ran and got my Unforgivable to compare thinking maybe I got a fake. For like 2 hours I seriously couldn't tell the difference. I tried spraying them on different note cards, just smelling from their sprayer it was VERY hard to notice any BIG difference. I finally was able to tell a substantial difference to tell me I wasn't sent a fake by the fact that after spraying each fragrance on opposite wrists and waiting approx 20-30 minutes that first and foremost the Wall Street was still there in full force, while unforgivable was a bit faded. Finally, I noticed the bond had a more of a "watermelon" smell to it that I didn't get in unforgivable. Other than that, although the notes seem to be completely different its amazing the similarity in smell they both have.
    I find it hard to believe that you couldn't tell the difference in Wall Street and Unforgivable. Sure, they DO smell similar, but that's where the similarities end. Wall Street is atleast twice as potent as Unforgivable is and it's sillage is pretty sharp on the onset, more pungent. Unforgivable's sillage in comparison feels like a sword with it's sharpness filed OFF with a metal filer. Unforgivable is also noticably more powdery (NOT musky, powdery) than Wall Street. The difference between these two are definitely detectable, irrespective of the time difference when they were sprayed onto skin.

Also, Wall Street has Cucumbery notes, not Melony. The aroma of freshly peeled and sliced icy cold cucumbers which Unforgivable tries to ape (I think) and fails.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you couldn't tell the difference in Wall Street and Unforgivable. Sure, they DO smell similar, but that's where the similarities end. Wall Street is atleast twice as potent as Unforgivable is and it's sillage is pretty sharp on the onset, more pungent. Unforgivable's sillage in comparison feels like a sword with it's sharpness filed OFF with a metal filer. Unforgivable is also noticably more powdery (NOT musky, powdery) than Wall Street. The difference between these two are definitely detectable, irrespective of the time difference when they were sprayed onto skin.

Also, Wall Street has Cucumbery notes, not Melony. The aroma of freshly peeled and sliced icy cold cucumbers which Unforgivable tries to ape (I think) and fails.
    Oh yeah of course, thats what I meant, im talking about just after applying, 30 minutes later? Yeah, thats where I could tell the difference. The bond was spot on just as strong as when i applied but the unforgivable was faded. A few people noted in their reviews a somewhat "watermelon" smell. Now i've never smelled cucumbers in a fragrance before, so maybe thats what im hitting.

EDIT: I should have noted that when I said I coudnt tell the difference for 2 hours, i meant testing on paper and directly from the bottle, I noticed the difference when i actually applied to skin and waited 30 minutes.
    Last edited by s0me0nesmind1; 22nd July 2008 at 10:15 AM.

Man.Aubusson is a clear rip off of Nikos Sculpture.

Unforgivable smells a lot like ST Dupont PH, only unforgivable becomes more powdery in the basenotes. also, ST Dupont came almost a decade before Unforgivable. i like both these scents, unforgivable for it;s sparkling quality and musky, baby powderish basenotes and ST Dupont for its fruity sweet oriental approach which stays fresh thruout.

Costume national 21 smells a lot like Narcisco Rodriguez for him.

DKNY Black Cashmere smells almost like Costes

CDG Kyoto smells a lot like Lacroix Tumulte

Penhaligons LP. No.9 is clearly inspired by YSL Opium

Cool water is clearly inspired by Creed GIT
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd July 2008 at 10:47 AM.

Miller et Bertaux - #3: Green, Green, Green and Green is very similar to
    Hermès - Un Jardin en Méditerranée

Bumpity bump.

Ckone and Chrome
    Halston Unbound and Aqua Di Gio

• Santal Noble and Amber sultan are pretty similar in their Herbal approach.
    • Chez Bond is clearly ripped of Creed GIT
    • Creed Bdp is a toned down version of PDN New york and Chanel PM
    • Vetiver de Sables was clearly inspired by Frapin Caravelle epicea
    • Parfumeire Generale Cuir D'Iris & Corp et Ames are both clearly inspired by Montale Black Oudh.
    • Mid to basenotes of Mazzalori Mazzalori reminds one strongly of Divine Sage
    • PDN New York >= Carthusia Numero Uno > Trumper Spanish Leather
    • Unforgivable by SJ >= ST Dupont Ph
    • Bond No. 9 "So New York" >= H.M. By Hanae Mori >= Montale Vanilla Extasy
    • CDG Kyoto > Christian Lacroix Tumulte
    • Cartier declaration is the smoky elder brother of ST Dupont Ph
    • Nikos Sculpture >= Man.Aubusson >= Montale Woods and Spices
    • GIT >= Trufet & Hill Freshman >= Cool water
    Last edited by jenson; 16th September 2008 at 10:22 PM.

Has anyone made a comparison of Gucci for Her and Narcisco Roudriguez?

Eternity Men smells really similar to Cool Water in my opinion.

Alain Delon & 3rd Man
    Carven Homme & Gucci Envy
    Canoe & Clubman

Mazzolari Mazzolari derives straight from Krizia Uomo to my nose.

Montale Red Vetyver is clearly inspired by Terre d'Hermes
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Montale Red Vetyver is clearly inspired by Terre d'Hermes

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!

Wearing d'Orsay LeDandy today and find it related to Chanel Egoiste.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Eternity Men smells really similar to Cool Water in my opinion.
    i would add Iceberg homme (1990) to this both.Ehernity is from 1989 and cool water from 1988.
    Last edited by sanatik; 17th September 2008 at 12:42 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Quote Originally Posted by scentophile View Post
    I'd love to reopen the box of canned worms of closely formulated and obviously (and, or intentionally) "inspired" fragrances. We can start off with a couple...

Baby Doll YSL, In Love Again YSL (I find similarities between ILA and CKOne, but it makes perhaps sense since CKone was said to be based off of Jean Claude Ellena's Bulgari tea accord in which appears in almost all of his creations)
    Bulgari Au The Vert, CkOne
    Rose Ikebana, Paul Smith Rose, Green Tea by Roget and Gallet, off in the distance, Kelly Caleche,
    Creed Silver Mountain Water, Bond No 9 Hamptons (and many others between the two houses)
    Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water
    Creed Imperial, Unforgiveable
    Base of Jasmin de Nuit Different Company and Musc Ravageur by FM
    Eau Sauvage Dior, Eau Dynamisante Clarins

This is not to create a debate, as each one to his own interpretations, but to encourage a discussion... I'm interested in discovering some new connections that you have made.
    I'm wearing 4 scents right now out of my samples. SMW, MI and Bond Chez Bond and Bond Hamptons. 2 wrists and 2 biceps. The two lower Creeds are fabulous to me right now. But if I do from SMW wrist to Hamptons bicep...they are barely alike...Hamptons has a dirty comb..dirtier smell to it. MI I'm wearing smells nothing like the Unforgiveable I wore weeks ago. Maybe a notes here and there. I find Unforgiveable way sweeter in its drydown. Chez Bond may have a similar note to GIT but I find it a weaker version of it, if its it at all. JMO/
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Chez Bond may have a similar note to GIT but I find it a weaker version of it, if its it at all. JMO/
    A lot of the Creeds I tried left me flat. GIT did nothing for me, whereas Chez Bond really had a nice clean, somewhat sweet scent on me. Maybe Chez Bond was inspired by GIT, I don't know. On me they are two entirely different fragrances. One I love, the other I don't.
    Last edited by PJX007; 17th September 2008 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJX007 View Post
    A lot of the Creeds I tried left me flat. GIT did nothing for me, whereas Chez Bond really had a nice clean, somewhat sweet scent on me. Maybe Chez Bond was inspired by GIT, I don't know. On me they are two entirely different fragrances. One I love, the other I don't.
    I want to clarify because my post above sounded like it was Bond bashing. I don't own a Bond or a Creed. I love the Bonds I have tried..most of them. Great stuff. But when I got the Chez Bond sample I was excited because I like GIT and CW. I definitely see the similarities in the drydown and with some notes. But I didn't jump to think GIT or CW. Both of those seem to hit me with the iris or something where you say.."aha." Chez was lighter, sweeter in a way.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Dior Midnight Poison and L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de roses

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Both of those seem to hit me with the iris or something where you say.."aha." Chez was lighter, sweeter in a way.
    I for one, didn't think you were bashing anything. I just took your statement as an opportunity to voice my opinion about Chez Bond. I had kinda agreed with your previous observation as well as your statement above.

AromiErotici

Call me crazy, but to me, Tommy Bahama smells VERY similar to Aramis with the exception of a slight darker/heavier note in there.

I like them both extremely well and have tested them on each wrist. Bahama is the closest I've come to the OG Aramis.

Quote Originally Posted by PJX007 View Post
    I for one, didn't think you were bashing anything. I just took your statement as an opportunity to voice my opinion about Chez Bond. I had kinda agreed with your previous observation as well as your statement above.
    I didn't think you had but after I read it back and then your response I kind of wanted to explain..lol. Came out harsh and that was my fault.

I'll al;so revise that SMW kind of drys down like the opening of Hamptons but overall I still don't see it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 17th September 2008 at 02:31 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Lovely - SJP and Narciso Rodriguez EDT

Narciso for Him - Grey Franel

Would anyone recommend a Hollister SoCal clone? I have SoCal, and my wife and I both love it. It just has terrible staying power. Is there anything out there that is similar, but more potent?
    "Omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis"

Got a question all these copies or inspirations do you think the perfumers realize it when they are creating their own perfumes they are doing it purposely or it is an accident?

What i mean is, there are literally hundreds of fragrances out there and I cannot imagine a perfumer has smelled all of them, is it possible he has just created something similar by accident or that is impossible?

I really do not understand the science behind creating perfume so this might be a stupid question

yes it's done on purpose.
    Last edited by Nasal Passages; 31st December 2008 at 08:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    Got a question all these copies or inspirations do you think the perfumers realize it when they are creating their own perfumes they are doing it purposely or it is an accident?

What i mean is, there are literally hundreds of fragrances out there and I cannot imagine a perfumer has smelled all of them, is it possible he has just created something similar by accident or that is impossible?

I really do not understand the science behind creating perfume so this might be a stupid question
    Perfumers do not have their say in most of their creations. They are led by a brief which has benchmarks and targets.