Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SotD, Wednesday 23rd July

Hope everyone is having a lovely Wednesday!

I had a dentist and chiropractor appointment this morning. No biggy though. Tried the first of many samples in the parcel that arrived yesterday and I just couldn't help myself - it had to be Love's True Bluish Light. From the moment I applied from the little sample vial I knew it was love!! I HAVE to have this gorgeous perfume. It's a comforting and yummy vanilla, but it's mature and maybe even a little bit sexy. I'm getting a bit of milky chocolatey-ness from it as well. Sillage is wonderful - much better than I had expected!

Thank you Jillsy for allowing me to try this remarkable fragrance - I need to get myself a full bottle ASAP! (but best wait till my bank account is looking healthier. It's looking very sad from all the shopping these holidays, and the boots, dentist and chiropractor expenses today didn't help )

Default Re: SotD, Wednesday 23rd July

Guerlain Vol de Nuit.

A nice hump day to all.

Good morning everyone. I received a bottle of Asprey's
    Purple Water in the post this morning - I won it in a recent
    Basenotes competition (thank you Jen!) Of course I had to put it
    on straight away. I am a big fan of Eau de Colognes, as you already know,
    and this is a lovely, zingy example of the genre. The interesting note is the
    purple jacaranda flower spiced up with notes of white ginger and basil.
    I think I shall be wearing this one a lot this summer.

Aloha Tiaré - Comptoir Sud Pacifique

Hi everybody!

I toyed around with my Aoud Cuir d'Arabie sample this morning (sent by dear dimples), picked it up, put it down, picked it up again...

but then went with something almost equally bold but familiar:

Theorema EdP + parfum

sloan-Michael
    , what are you wearing today?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Starting a week (or more) of wearing the so neglected MDCI Parfums. Hailed by Luca Turin and loved by many members.

Starting with the beautiful Oriental Floral, my favorite of the five fragrances of this house

Enlévement au Sérail

Perfumer: Francis Kurkdjian

Notes:Bergamot, Italian mandarin, ylang-ylang, sambac jasmin, tuberose, Turkish rose, wallflower, patchouli, Indian sandalwood, vanilla, Haitian vetiver
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Basenotes Plus

Sharing the house with Twolf,

Guerlain Cuir Beluga
    Notes: mandarin, aldehydes, immortelle, leather, heliotrope, amber, vanilla

Have a lovely day, everyone.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

One more Guerlain here: Eau de Cologne Impériale

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

You are gorgeous smellers, my angels !

Tavorna-poopsie- I could have bet my bottom that you'd love that !
    [Now...we have to get you Sweet Absinthe, Angel Face, White Musk, Oriental Musk, Gardenia Musk, Wild Blackberry Musk, Ambra Tibet, ....]

All my fellow Guerlainies.Yahoo !

I visited my sweet girlfriend /SA at the Chanel boutique yesterday- and retried Cuir de Russie, which never loved me.
    Sad to say- she does NOW.
    Oh, dear.
    I feel an itch...but I think I'm just going to wear my nice sample bottle all day, and see how it goes.
    [It sure smells lovely, the morning after.Sigh.]

Very excited about rendezvousing with Monsieur SMM this Friday...
    Any suggestions, ComDiva ?
    What should I wear to pleasure this married man's nose, girls ???
    [If you say BACON- the closest I have is CB's 'Burning Leaves', lol. Eau de Kielbasa !]

Enjoy the day, folks...

SotD: AP Maitresse
    SotE: testing a sample labelled "Hermes Orange du Vert". Upon searching the directory there are 3 fragrances by Hermes with "d'Orange Verte" in part of their name so I have no clue which one I'm testing!

summer means fireflys

I'm wearing Chergui today.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Oooh, you lot smell nice!
    It's washday here and I hate it. Once a fortnight I get 24 hours to use the communal washing machine and drying room. Another reason we want to move!
    So I want to wear a perfume that cheers me up and is good and strong to overpower the smells of washing powder and fabric softener. I've gone with Bandit edp with its energetic feel and slightly spiky attitude. Just what I need to help me scrub those chocolate stains out!

Have a lovely day all
    x
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

3125 minutes until Chaya and I are the best smelling pair in Boston.

I feel like I missed the Guerlain SSD today with all of the Guerlains above me.

I am back in Caron today wearing:

Le 3me Homme

I don't know why it took me so long to discover Caron but so far everything in the line just works on me. They are all so different but yet there is some similarity. The floral middle of this one is crazy good. Another day of bumping into walls with my nose buried in my wrist for me, doing the Basenotes Salute.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Lovely to see you 'reincarnate' the Parfums MDCI's, Riannon. Inspired by my bump to the missing fragrances-thread, maybe? I'll be joining you for today.

Ambre Topkapi (Pierre Bourdon)

Excellent for today's kind weather.

Oak moss, vetiver, sandalwood, rosewood, leather, Darjeeling tea, amber, musk, vanilla, jasmine, violet, bergamot, grapefruit, pineapple, melon, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, basel, thyme, lavender

Last edited by BrothaG; 23rd July 2008 at 11:24 AM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Annick Goutal - Songes

My first blogger swap with the lovely Perfumequeen.

A gorgeous example of a white floral. Especially in the heart / base.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Yikes, Wordsy!! Laundry every two weeks??!! And you with a three year-old???
    And Chaya - you wicked wicked girl!! To entice SMM - how about "Buy The Numbers"??!!

Dutch Dragon - I think I am going to follow in your fabled footsteps and go with an MDCI. Came downstairs pre-ablutions and spritzed on Vera Wang Princess (thank you for the sample Mouse-kins) but I don't think I'm going to stick with it. To me - very Un-Vera. I love her sensibility but I don't think this frag reflects it - at least not on me - to me. The list of notes is semi-pretentious (to me) and the one that stands out the most is Pink Frosting Accord...super-sweet.

Need to go upstairs and launder self and find me some Invasion Barbare
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Oooh, you lot smell nice!
    It's washday here and I hate it. Once a fortnight I get 24 hours to use the communal washing machine and drying room. Another reason we want to move!
    So I want to wear a perfume that cheers me up and is good and strong to overpower the smells of washing powder and fabric softener. I've gone with Bandit edp with its energetic feel and slightly spiky attitude. Just what I need to help me scrub those chocolate stains out!

Have a lovely day all
    x
    Oh my gosh, Wordbird, no wonder you want to move...no way I could cope with that, even without my brood of 6 !!

Everyone smells good today ... I am testing the new Chloe, and I don't know how to take it... I enjoy the very base notes, but its murder for me getting that far, and even then, on me it's not any thing special
    I don't anticipate a FB purchase of this anytime soon.

Good morning! House mates today with Wordbird in Fracas.

Have a lovely day!

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    .... Another day of bumping into walls with my nose buried in my wrist for me, doing the Basenotes Salute.
    What a perfect description: "Basenotes Salute" ~ I like that!

It's PLEASURES for me this morning. Happy Wednesday!

Good morning everybody My sotd for today is Feminite du bois.It's a rainy day in Trondheim today.Off to see Nidarosdomen today and a few more tourist attractions.Have a great day all

Testing SL Serge Noire which reminds me of Gobin Daudé Nuit au Désert: very smoky, woody and "campfiry", not at all sweet like most Lutenses are (I don't usually mind, though). Like it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    Lovely to see you 'reincarnate' the Parfums MDCI's, Riannon. Inspired by my bump to the missing fragrances-thread, maybe? I'll be joining you for today.
    Very inspired, my Brotha!!

I think it is time for another revolution. Let´s kick the beautiful fragrances of MDCI into the spotlight of SMM´s stats

Tao-dear, you are wonderful and delicious smelling in Invasion Barbare

Hello, everyone! You're all smelling rather gorgeous...

Riannon, I will probably join you in my favorite Parfums MDCI tomorrow, but for today I am reveling in Neil Morris Fragrances Midnight Sea.

Notes: Water lily, vanilla, patchouli, dark musk and ozone notes. Gorgeous.

Also, big news... I GOT A NEW JOB!!!! Staying at my old one (fabulous co-workers, but no upward mobility options) for another month, then a couple of weeks off, and then new (promotion and with different non-profit health care company) position starts in early September. Essentially going from working with one hospital to working with 90 hospitals! Very excited, also very nervous. I've been at my current place of employment (in several related positions) for 13 years. This is a big change for me, but it's time and I'm ready. I think. I wonder if there's a perfume out there infused with valium...
    Last edited by ComDiva; 23rd July 2008 at 12:52 PM.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Comdiva: a very big congratulations to you, both on the new job and on owning the ambition that it took to get it! Best of luck, my dear.

Sakecat22: Don't you just love Songes? Now that I have written it, I know that I must wear it tomorrow.

Twolf, tdem, tigruska: I too am in Guerlain. I am wearing L'Heure Bleu extrait, the pinnacle of perfume achievement. I sit with the fragrance gods today.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Testing SL Serge Noire which reminds me of Gobin Daudé Nuit au Désert: very smoky, woody and "campfiry", not at all sweet like most Lutenses are (I don't usually mind, though). Like it a lot.
    TIIIIGS!! You make it sound so beautiful and I am green with envy!!! Wait....concentrating deeply to catch a whiff in the air
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

In the mood for layering today - Tommy Girl behind knees, and on wrists, plus a drop of Jicky extrait on my neck. They go very well together, me thinks!

LOL at LiB´s pic!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_in_Black View Post
    TIIIIGS!! You make it sound so beautiful and I am green with envy!!! Wait....concentrating deeply to catch a whiff in the air

Must give it a full wear soon, it's less incensy and more woody than I expected it to be after reading various reviews. Looking forward to reading more comments on this one!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

If there's a better way to start the day than BN's SotD, I haven't found it. Air-kisses all around.

Repeating an experiment: Bois des Iles (, d) on one side, Bel Respiro on the other.

Therese, you worded your note so well, I just going to hijack it in its entirety: ComDiva, a very big congratulations to you, both on the new job and on owning the ambition that it took to get it! Best of luck, my dear.

Love love that black nose picture!

You guys please tell us more about the new Serge, please!

I might join the gang in wearing something from MDCI tomorrow, we can do it!

Congratulations and crossed fingers for Catherine the Great!
    Last edited by Twolf; 23rd July 2008 at 02:04 PM.

Congratulations Comdiva!!!!

It's Goutal's delicious SONGES today

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Also, big news... I GOT A NEW JOB!!!! Staying at my old one (fabulous co-workers, but no upward mobility options) for another month, then a couple of weeks off, and then new (promotion and with different non-profit health care company) position starts in early September. Essentially going from working with one hospital to working with 90 hospitals! Very excited, also very nervous. I've been at my current place of employment (in several related positions) for 13 years. This is a big change for me, but it's time and I'm ready. I think. I wonder if there's a perfume out there infused with valium...
    YAYYY!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!! (darn I wish I knew where to get thsoe cool animated cheering smilies)
    (Thanks to Taolady I do now)
    Way to go ScentMother.
    It takes a lot of courage to realize you need to make a change and then actually act upon it.
    Then again I knew you were very smart and courageous before this (I know how to do the simple ones)
    Now you get to introduce a whole new group of people to your fine smelling self.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 23rd July 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Sounds like a Guerlain love-fest this morning... I had spent the previous two days in Guerlain already and this morning I had aleady put on Lanvin Scandal... it works wonderfully well with the light suede jacket that I'm wearing in the office (brrrr! AC here is cranked up high and it's chilly... Tavorna, can I borrow your new booties?).

Great to hear that you are enjoying your vacation Ine!

Will follow up with the MDCI Enlevement au Serail as my SOTE, per Riannon's SOTD.

Congratulations ComDiva! I've sent you off some samples.... alas, none with Valium.
    Last edited by dimples; 23rd July 2008 at 02:11 PM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

WOW, CD !
    Awesome...and a wee bit terrifying, no ?
    But you are Mrs. Competent-
    So, I've no worries about your capability.
    KUDOS to you !

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Love love that black nose picture!

You guys please tell us more about the new Serge, please!
    Agarwood is the most potent note in Serge Noire (at least on my skin), so if you love agarwood, you'll love it!

Congratulations and good luck COM DIVA! Good for you!

It's finally cooled off today, so am in the lovely SAMSARA. I've been craving this all week, but it was sooooo HOT!
    Last edited by spicegirl; 23rd July 2008 at 02:47 PM.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Congratulations Comdiva!!!
    My new laptop finally arrived!
    It is extremely hot and I was wearing PARFUMS Series 1 Leaves: Lily by Comme des Garçons. Switched to White Jasmine & Mint by Jo Malone in the evening.
    Looking forward to the new Lutens too!

Today I share the house with shadesofbleu & Tigs
    and following in Riannon's footsteps by
    wearing a scent I've not worn for far too long.

Serge Lutens • Douce Amère

Congratulations ComDiva!
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Hanae Mori Butterfly for the 4th(?) day in a row... couldn't tell you why this one has come to the foreground this week.
    Sniff and let sniff.

That is wonderful news, Cath!! ::hugging BearSis:: Congratulations.
    It is in fact so wonderful that you don't need Valium but maybe a bespoke perfume from Neil

Celebrating with you in a beautiful SotE: Invasion Barbare

Parfums MDCI

Vanille Noire Du Mexique for me today simply because I have neglected it. Earlier this afternoon tested Sira Des Indes which seems quite contemplative and gorgeous.

Congratulations on the great news, ComDiva! :toppie:

I´m sure you will do just fine - being a bit nervous only sharpens the mind!

Jetlagged and pissed off because my luggages is gone (containing 5 perfume bottles, 3 new and 2 i brought with me)

I don't dare to test anything in this state of mind even though more testers came in, I really want to..they all look promising, the names and the rumours they cause here..but I'm worried that in this nerve wrecking ( need to prepare for a presentation, bu too tired) state I might not be able to really focos and well be somehwat myself and thu the test woukd be off.

I miss wearing real perfume

ComDiva, congrats on the great new job!

Lian, what a bummer about the lost luggage, especially the frags. I'd go with your instinct here--wear something that you're already familiar with. Something that is calming but spirit-lifting, perhaps?

SoTD is Un Jardin en Mediterranée (again). It seems to cleanse my palate after trying frags that don't work on me.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Montana Parfum D'Homme (original) as SotD.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

:bounce: YAY ComDiva :bounce: Congrats on the new job and new challenges.

Especially since you are going from 1 hospital to 90! Does that mean your paycheck is going up 90x? I think you deserve every penny!

Hmm..fentanyl is occasionally administered as a patch. It's an opiate/sedative. Maybe we can create a perfume out of that!

(Sakecat watches the health care professionals cringe at the recommendation).

Therese - I wasn't expecting to like Songes as much as I do. From the descriptions, this looked like a scent that could have gotten ugly on me fast. Thankfully - that is sooooo not the case. I think I'm wearing the EdP. When I get home, I'll double-check the vial Perfumequeen sent me.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Wearing Caron Aimez-Moi. I haven't worn this in ages and I could not keep my wrist away from my nose while I was driving to pick up daughter No.2 from soccer camp. Now I'm home for a couple of hours to do her laundry . Then we are heading to North Carolina for Daughters No.1 and No.2 to spend a few days with my brother. I will definately reapply Aimez-Moi and let hubby drive so I can do some double wrist sniffing.

Congratulations Comdiva! A new job is exciting, I haven't had one of those in ages!
    Last edited by tdi; 23rd July 2008 at 06:38 PM.

From the Armani Prive line.....Eau de Jade
    Gary

Can't wait to try Serge Noir. Today I'm wearing Angeliques sous la pluie, delightful and cool.

Serge Noir was the darkest incense on me;
    without any sweetness this one is. Hubby likes it,
    but too dark for me personally.

Off to yoga with the tiniest spray of
    Prada • Infusion d'Iris
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

No.88

... I GOT A NEW JOB!!!! ..... This is a big change for me, but it's time and I'm ready. I think. I wonder if there's a perfume out there infused with valium...
    CONGRATS! CONGRATS! CONGRATS!
    Couldn't happen to a more deserving person. And you know you've got all these waves of positive energy surging up to support you!! And you don't have a thing to be nervous about because right now you're where you are and doing just fine!!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Indult Tihota. I go back and forth on whether or not I like this. It is, to me, a very simple, sweet, light vanilla.The Indult write-ups on Luckyscent made me expect more complexity from this line, but I can't say as I *dislike* it.

Congrats to Comdiva! And hoping Nukapai feels better today as well.
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Oh, Lian-
    I sent you a pm...
    Please tell me what else I can send w/ your package.
    Whatever will cheer you up, gelieverd !

LIB- I love your furry nose !
    Sooo pretty.
    My favorite !

Huge congratulations ComDiva! You'll be brilliant in your new role and you richly deserve the promotion.
    Biased in our opinions of you abilities? Us? Oh yes (you have to say that in the voice of the dog from the Churchill insurance ad).(And apologies to everyone who has no idea what that's about. It would take too long to explain and not really be worth it.)
    Want a groan-inducing suggestion for your perfume? Opium! (wah wah waaaaaaah....)

Seriously? OK, is hypericum used in perfumery? That's St John's Wort. And Valerian is another herbal soother. Doesn't smell too good though, if I remember rightly. I'm sure the natural perfumers and aromatherapists here will give you advice. Lavender. Lavender's a relaxing, soothing oil, I remember that one. So douse yourself in Jicky. ;-)
    (Any excuse to wear Jicky!)
    Well, washday's over for another fortnight so I can relax. And bless him, my hubby put the little un's toys away and vacuumed the living room while I made dinner, so all is tranquil now. Actually, a fortnightly washday isn't so bad. On the bright side, its all done in one day.

Lian: total bummer. You have my sympathy. Is your case 'lost lost' or mislaid? And can you at least claim on your insurance for the bottles you bought while away?
    Bum bum bum.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 23rd July 2008 at 09:41 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Wow, what a great smelling bunch we have today. Congratulations Comdiva, I know this must be very exciting for you.

Today I am trying my last AvaLuxe sample: Firewood. I can't stop smelling my wrist. I'll tell you what it reminds me of, my house at Christmas time with the smell of my Christmas tree, the wood smell of the fireplace, and the candles lit throughout the house. I LOVE IT!! Probably much better in the winter than in this hot, hot summer but I went to the beach today with my hubby so I put Firewood on after coming back and showering and am not leaving my air conditioned home for the rest of the day, so it's OK.

Congratulations ComDiva! How thrilling!

Wordbird, you crack me up every time. You're very funny! (wah wah wahhhhh...) ha!

I'm a scent twin of Agent Provocateur today in Infusion d'Iris.

Have great afternoon, everyone.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Habit Rouge EdC as SotE.

ComDiva! Great news. You will be a star in your new job, I just know it.

Ack Lian...Gone forever or maybe showing up later? I hope so..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Basenotes Plus

Big big congrats, Catherine! I'm so happy for you!

Lian, so sorry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your case shows up.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Du Soleil by Florascent (a gift from Andrew_B who isn't feeling so well, so if you have time, please send him some virtual hugs)

summer means fireflys

Congratulations ComDiva! I've been wanting/needing a change of jobs for a while now ...

and Sympathies to Lian I'm saying a prayer to the patron saint of lost fragrances that yours will come home soon ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu