Code of Conduct

Hybrid View

Default A very special gift for a very special woman. How do I do this?

Hello everybody.
    Most people have their mind on vacations right now but I have an extremely important task in front of me. I would like to prepare a very special gift for a very very very sweet girl It is going to be a collection of women's niche perfume samples and I have about 1 month to do it.
    Some first words about the project. I'd like to use only official ( manufacturer ) samples. I don't have anything against decants, I use them myself, but there is a greater possibility that their quality isn't so good and I just think the whole pack will have a better appearance if I use only official stuff. So, the choices are ready sample sets and sets that I will have to compose myself by combining a number of samples from the same manufacturer. Until now I have ordered the following.

The first 4 are already here:

1. Andy Tauer discovery sample set - 6 samples, got lucky here, ordered 6 samples and Andy read the order note and arranged to send me the set for the same price, he practically spent the money from the order on the shipping
    2. Ormonde Jayne sample programme - 10 samples, excellent customer service from Samantha who was very quick to answer emails and included an extra sample of Ormonde Man
    3. Le Labo Discovery Set - 3 5ml rods, jasmin, iris, tubereuse thanks to a proud member of the Badger & Blade forum who ordered this and shipped it to me, and thanks to Le Labo who included their NY exclusive in the set, already posted elsewhere about this
    4. Amouage boxed sample set ladies - 6 samples, thanks to proud member Zestycool for buying this from Harrods and shipping it to me, special credit to Dimitri who found the man for the mission

The fifth is in process

5. Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle ( in the process of ordering 9 samples, 1 by each perfumer )
    Carnal Flower, Une Rose, Le Parfum De Therese already here ( by the way Le Parfum De Therese has a concentration of 12% and not the 9.95% pictured )
    Noir Epices, En Passant, Lipstick Rose waiting for shipment
    still to order Musc Ravageur, Iris Poudre ( the obvious choice from Pierre Bourdon, right? ) and one by Jean-Claude Helena, what to choose here? was thinking Bigarade Concentree because of the higher concentration and to have some citrus in there or is Angeliques Sous La Pluie a better choice for a woman?

We have 5 until now.
    I need 3 more out of the next 7, for a total of 8 sets.
    The choices are:

- Montale a pouch filled with 10-15 samples more appropriate for women - Any ideas on scents and how/where to purchase this?
    - A set of Bond no9 small bonbon 12-15 samples - just because they are candywrapped and have a nice appearance. I have signed up on makeupalley and hopefully I'll find some of them.
    - Lorenzo Villoresi set of 16 manufacturer samples - saw this only on the perfumed court out of stock, sent email to LV, they didn't answer, will probably have to call them - or some individual LV samples
    - Etat Libre D'Orange discovery kit - 17 samples, thought this would be funny and sexy but I am not sure, haven't seen much enthusiasm about this brand on the forum
    - Ayala Moriel set of 8 samples - have no idea about these, if I order I'll probably tell Ayala to choose the scents . Do you like this line?
    - Parfumerie Generale private collection set of samples - don't have access to these, where is 007 when you need him?
    - The Different Company sampling program - there is not an exact description of this on their website, probably last choice

I have chosen not to include brands like Creed, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan Parfumeur etc. because they are available in Greece. I have also read that the Serge Lutens non export line doesn't have liquid samples produced so we forget these too.
    Ok, comments until now. Are the first 5 good choices? What would you choose for the last 3? Do you want to offer other options?
    And about the packaging, I was thinking about a big gift box and inside it a 3x3 matrix with the 8 sets arranged around the middle position. What about this? You can always suggest a totally different way of doing this, I am open to any ideas.
    Thanks for reading all this. Looking forward to your replies.

Have a nice day

Panagiotis

Default Re: A very special gift for a very special woman. How do I do this?

Wow, so far so good in my opinion.

For Montales I hear a lot of people get samples from a MUAer/BNer called Maisonstinky. I've still yet to order samples from him so I'm not sure what they are like yet.

The Bond No 9 samples are so cute! Might be a little juvenile to some, depends on her personality I guess.

I'm finding with the Etat Libre d'Orange line that the names are often far more provocative than the scent. Then again, I have not tried Secretions Magnifiques. Some really nice fragrances in there though.

With the Ayala Moriel scents there is a personality quiz which Ayala reads and sends you recommendations of her line from your responses. That might help with choosing. She is also very nice and helpful.

Haven't had anything to do with LV, PG or TDC yet and don't know about their sampling programs or their scents.

Good luck! I envy this girl

You Tarzan? Me Jane!!! Send them samples right here to me!!

Seriously - a beautifully thought out and precious gift. Applaud all your choices so far.

For the remaining three - from personal preference only - I would add Montale - ELdO - and Parumerie Generale. All for the same reasons - unusual frags with sillage and longevity.

(ELdO's gotten some good reviews here and by Turin - if you care. Personal faves - Putain de Palaces, Jasmin et Cigarettes, Vrai Blonde and Divine Closet Queen.)

PLEEZE let us know how this works out!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Sur la Plage

Not sure if they are sold in Greece, but Penhaligons has a Scent Library - 5 mens and 5 womens samples. They also have a ladies set of miniatures (four 5ml bottles).
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd July 2008 at 01:39 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Sur la Plage

I think the Bonds have a nice appearance, and would be perfect for gift giving.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd July 2008 at 01:40 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't know if vanilla scents can also be considered but if you write to La Maison de la Vanille, they send 5 x 10 ml bottles of their scents to you in a very cute box - GRATIS! Honestly, I was very surprised but I received them after a simple email request. Look on Internet for their website address.

Thanks for the recommendations!
    I'll probably go with Montale, Etat Libre D'Orange and Bond no9.
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis

I would strongly recommend emailing Montale Tarzan, and explaining youd like to purchase some samples from their range.
    More often than not, Montale Paris will ship you up to 5 complementary samples of your choice. You can offer to pay the cost of shipping (very little), and find a small pouch to put them in for your special friend. Montale are extremely accommodating and friendly.
    When choosing their scents, I wouldnt necessarily avoid some of the loud aouds, as they can certainly make for a unique experience. Perhaps include White Aoud and some of the perfumes (not Aouds) in the mix. Id avoid Black Aoud & Attar, as to the untrained nose, they can be very confronting)... unless thats what youre looking for

Have a lot of fun... it sounds like a wonderful gesture.
    Dimi.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Fess up, Tarzan. You know you posted your elaborate, well-conceived, and ingenious scheme, in part, just to see us drop our jaws, clap our hands and sing your praises. And, well, frankly, sir, I'm doing all three, cuz you deserve that. You are a mastermind gift-giver.

I think you'll be happy with what the Ayala Moriel samples "bring to the party." Lovely, to be sure, and quietly distinctive from the rest of your quality lot.
    Last edited by Quarry; 24th July 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Tarzan, I have no advice to give (sorry) but I just wanted to second Quarry and Tao's comments on how inordinately lovely you are to do this for your beloved. This is gigantic good perfume karma. You are sure to delight her with this gift.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729