Code of Conduct

Default How to do an EFFECTIVE search in the forums before posting a topic

With special thanks to TwoRoads, Ruggles and....Dimitrios.

Go to top right hand corner search box, enter your key word, say Civet, when results are shown scroll down the page and click on the link: advanced Community search here, (http://community.basenotes.net/search.php)
    Now restrict the search in this case Civet to being named in THREAD TITLES only (excluding references in the BODY OF POSTS) and further restricting the search to just four discussion forums (JUST STARTING, INDUSTRY, FEMALE and MALE). Also select posts with minimum replies of say 10. other boxes you can forget FOR NOW. Results will not even fill up one page, and you get really surprisingly useful results not 750 useless links!

P.S; curtsey of MadScientist

Don't forget "boolean' searches. For instance searching in titles for the word "effective" brought up 3 threads whereas searching for "effective and posting" brought up only this thread. Boolean searches consist of multiple terms separated by the words and or or and in some search engines, near, not, and possibly other terms. Some search engines also have the capability to use operator precedence (like in math equations) or allow parenthesis in order to group your boolean terms, like: "(creed and serial and number) or (lot and number)". I haven't experimented enough with the BN search function to know how sophisticated it is but it at least accepts simple boolean (and/or) searches.
    Just the AND/OR capability can be VERY helpful.

You can also of course use phrases like "lot date" (without the quotes).
    And if you're searching on a word that is commonly misspelled, try searching for only part of the word (the part that you think people would usually get correct) or using common misspellings in your search. However, keep in mind that even if one person misspells it, it will most-likely be spelled correctly somewhere else in the thread.

P.S 2 Curtsey Hoos:
    You can further limit results by posting time (last month or earlier; last year or earlier) and, one that I find especially helpful: set the post limit to something like 5 responses or more. That sorts out all the posts that received no responses; the posts that only received a couple of responses, and, most likely, you'll end up with threads that have a decent discussion of your topic.

Search using multiple spellings: the internet is international. Some people spell it "amber"; some spell it "ambre"; "flowers" may be "fleurs"; etc.

If you get the error that the search topic is "too common" (or some such wording), add something else that may be of particular interest to you. Such as: amber AND vanilla, or amber AND golden.

Searching really is a skill that needs to be developed. I'm a firm believer in it, but also remember that it took me a while to get it. But once you have it, it's good in almost every forum (or the web in general). Terminology can vary from forum to forum and can be difficult for newer folks. Such as knowing that the word "bespoke" refers to fragrances blended especially for a person (or clothing made especially for a person).
    Last edited by afraafra; 23rd July 2008 at 06:10 AM.

Default Re: How to do an EFFECTIVE search in the forums before posting a topic

BTW please correct me or add anything I may have left out
    Thanks

Thanks for posting this.
    I had been getting a lot of irrelevant posts when doing a search.
    But now I am wiser
    Have a nice day

Panagiotis

Smile Re: How to do an EFFECTIVE search in the forums before posting a topic

I did an effective search in the forums and it lead me to this thread..

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

I have tried to do this most of the time. I find it funny though because when I bump one on topic I get "why is this thread back here?"
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

It would be great if some Basenotes Vets would comment and add to the explanations
    AFR

Don't forget boolean searches. For instance searching in titles for the word "effective" brought up 3 threads whereas searching for "effective and posting" brought up only this thread. Boolean searches consist of multiple terms separated by the words and or or and in some search engines, near, not, and possibly other terms. Some search engines also have the capability to use operator precedence (like in math equations) or allow parenthesis in order to group your boolean terms, like: "(creed and serial and number) or (lot and number)". I haven't experimented enough with the BN search function to know how sophisticated it is but it at least accepts simple boolean (and/or) searches.

Just the and/or capability can be VERY helpful.

You can also of course use phrases like "lot date" (without the quotes).

And if you're searching on a word that is commonly misspelled, try searching for only part of the word (the part that you think people would usually get correct) or using common misspellings in your search. However, keep in mind that even if one person misspells it, it will most-likely be spelled correctly somewhere else in the thread.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 22nd July 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Thank you, MadScientist! Boolean search abilities seem to often be overlooked and they can be so helpful.

I'd also add:

You can further limit results by posting time (last month or earlier; last year or earlier) and, one that I find especially helpful: set the post limit to something like 5 responses or more. That sorts out all the posts that received no responses; the posts that only received a couple of responses, and, most likely, you'll end up with threads that have a decent discussion of your topic.

Search using multiple spellings: the internet is international. Some people spell it "amber"; some spell it "ambre"; "flowers" may be "fleurs"; etc.

If you get the error that the search topic is "too common" (or some such wording), add something else that may be of particular interest to you. Such as: amber AND vanilla, or amber AND golden.

Searching really is a skill that needs to be developed. I'm a firm believer in it, but also remember that it took me a while to get it. But once you have it, it's good in almost every forum (or the web in general). Terminology can vary from forum to forum and can be difficult for newer folks. Such as knowing that the word "bespoke" refers to fragrances blended especially for a person (or clothing made especially for a person).

Good topic to post. I'd like to see this stickied. Maybe in the Just Starting Out section?
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Thank you, MadScientist! Boolean search abilities seem to often be overlooked a
    Good topic to post. I'd like to see this stickied. Maybe in the Just Starting Out section?

Useful stuff, I have added this info to the post WYP.

A simplified version of above:

Go to top right hand corner search box, enter your key word, say Civet, when results are shown scroll down the page and click on the link: "advanced Community search here" , (http://community.basenotes.net/search.php)
    Now restrict the search in this case Civet to being named in THREAD TITLES only (excluding references in the BODY OF POSTS) and further restricting the search to just four discussion forums (JUST STARTING, INDUSTRY, FEMALE and MALE). Also select posts with minimum replies of say 10. Other boxes you can forget FOR NOW. Results will be only the useful stuff, and you get really good results not 750 useless links!

Don't forget to use AND, OR to get better results. For instance searching in titles for the word "effective" brought up 3 threads whereas searching for "effective AND posting" brought up only this thread.
    Just the AND/OR capability can be VERY helpful.
    You can further limit results by posting time (last month or earlier; last year or earlier) .

Searching really is a skill that needs to be developed. But once you have it, it's good for almost every forum (or the web in general). Terminology can vary from forum to forum and can be difficult for newer folks. Such as knowing that the word "bespoke" refers to fragrances blended especially for a person (or clothing made especially for a person).
    Last edited by afraafra; 23rd July 2008 at 06:29 PM.

Google.com has advanced search capabilities including the ability to search a specific site. You can use the Google.com Advanced search page or if you have a google toolbar, it may have a search-site option, or you can just type your query into the standard Google search box and include "site:basenotes.net" at the end for instance, "effective search -sticky site:basenotes.net". You'll notice I used a negative sign (dash) in front of the word "sticky". This particular search brings up this thread (the one you're reading right now) but not the one about this thread in the Community Center forum. The symbol tells the search engine to exclude any results with the word "sticky" in them. There are other advanced techniques and shorthand symbols you can use that are documented on the Google site.

Unfortunately, you can't limit a Google search to specific forums or thread titles but it can still be very useful for its advanced capabilities.

Other popular search engines may have similar capabilities.

Hi there,
    I'm new to this forum, and would like some help in seaching for a fragrance........would appreciate assistance.......thanks:

Possibly it has to do with the recent update/upgrade of the site,or probably I do not follow the right way,but I am unable to search for full phrases:I looked, let's say,for Baldessarini Stricly Private and then the results contained either the word baldessarini,either the word strictly,or the word private,not any combitation of them,neither the full phrase.A vast array of results then,but no real results.Using quotes or the word AND did not help.
    Fellow Basenoters,please enlighten the computer illiterate...
    Thank's!
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

I'm also having difficulty searching for threads since the new version of the board came about... Is it one of the bugs that were discussed, or am I just a dunce??

Blog Entries

I haven't been able to succeed with searches either since the upgrade. Even searches for things I know I posted.