Code of Conduct

Default How silly do you get with perfumes?

In my case, I order lots of samples.

Upon waking up, first thing I do is apply 4 to 6 of them. 2 on my biceps, 2 on my forearms and sometimes also 2 on my wrists in medium quantities.

Then I eat breakfast, do my morning routine while continually smelling them to decide which are wearable outside, etc.

In my morning shower, I make sure to clean it all well. After that, I apply one full sample (1ml) and this is what I wear throughout the day.

Before my evening shower, or post-workout shower, I usually apply another 4 that I haven't tried before.

After my evening shower, I apply another full sample and a few hours later I sleep in it.

Basically, I apply those sets of 4-6 to try out samplers so that I will never pour a whole sample over myself if I dislike it a lot. For scents I do not like, I still apply 1/4th of the bottle (among those 4-6 samples) every morning until they are done, just in case I will learn to like them, as was the case for Orange Spice which took me a while to like.

I just woke up and I'm wearing:
    -Left bicep: Caron - Coup de Fouet - Coup de Fouet
    -Left forearm - Lorenzo Villoresi- Incensi
    -Right bicep - L'Artisan Parfumeur - Mûre et Musc Extrême
    -Left forearm - L'Artisan Parfumeur - Dzing!

I will probably wear the rest of the Mûre et Musc Extrême during the day since I like it the most. In the case of Coup de Fouet, I realized it was a feminine perfume after getting the sample, and I always find it revulsing at first. But I think I'm getting more used to it now and might like it someday.

Default Re: How silly do you get with perfumes?

You might want to check into fragrance rehab, belz!

About the silliest thing I do is to apply A LOT of stuff just before I walk the dogs in the morning. This is silly because 1) I live in the country and walk my dogs in my own woods, so there is zero chance of anyone else smelling me except coyotes and squirrels, and 2) it's usually 4:30 in the morning.

There's logic to my madness though; I can test my stuff out in a worst (or best) case scenario, applying until I literally reek to see how far I can go before it becomes objectionable. This is particularly useful for 80s powerhouses like Kouros, Antaeus, etc.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I buy a lot of samples, too.

I'm now on a mini kick because they're fun and I like to collect things

If I'm testing fragrances, I will usually apply four different scents before bed: each wrist and each bend in the arm gets daubed with a separate fragrance.

I'm always impressed with the ones with longevity enough to make it through the night (considering that blankets, sheets, tossing, body contact , all potentially cause some of the scent to be rubbed off.)
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 23rd July 2008 at 01:27 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

I walked near Ogilbi today and pillaged their Artisan Parfumeur and Serge Lutens kiosks. I'm wearing another 4 now!

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    You might want to check into fragrance rehab, belz!

About the silliest thing I do is to apply A LOT of stuff just before I walk the dogs in the morning. This is silly because 1) I live in the country and walk my dogs in my own woods, so there is zero chance of anyone else smelling me except coyotes and squirrels, and 2) it's usually 4:30 in the morning.

There's logic to my madness though; I can test my stuff out in a worst (or best) case scenario, applying until I literally reek to see how far I can go before it becomes objectionable. This is particularly useful for 80s powerhouses like Kouros, Antaeus, etc.
    But who's going to tell you it's become objectionable? The cayotes?

I adore sampling - I've been doing a lot of it lately, but I usually prefer to focus on one sample at a time. But if I'm in a department store or fragrance shop I spritz away until I run out of available skin that I can reach with my nose. I just can't help that. Junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    But who's going to tell you it's become objectionable? The coyotes? .
    Ooh, you caught me in my own lie - I've never reached a point where it's objectionable to me!
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Blog Entries

My silliness involves sniffing my wife's perfumes. I get to smell something from my collection all day, and any time I'm choosing a scent, I sniff several possibilities to help me decide. So I can keep a really good scent dictionary of my scents "in memory". But I don't have much excuse to smell hers, unless she's wearing it. So before I go to bed, I'll go into the bathroom, pretending to be doing something useful, when in reality I'm sniffing her collection.

"Hurry up! What are you doing in there?"

"Nothing! Be there in a sec!" ...as I take one more whiff of her latest bottle.

Well, I've been mocked here on BN for letting my dog smell the frags, but he's got a much better sense of smell than I do !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well, I've been mocked here on BN for letting my dog smell the frags, but he's got a much better sense of smell than I do !
    OMGLMAO!!!!!

I mocketh not. We were debating whether we were tracking dogs in former lives. But if I come back as a dog, let it be one that belongs to you!

many oddities....my latest kick....always trying to layer fragances just to come up with a perfect combo or 16....

taking at least 5-6 bottles with me...just "in case" i dont make it back home and end up staying at a girl's house so i would have a choice the next day,....

standing at least half an hour infront of the counter and deciding what fragrances t wear even though i know im alread running late.

"refreshing" religiously every 2 hours and many times with a new combo....

using fragrances for other duties.....

Gendarme 20 = after dryer cleaning effect...sprayed on shirts and pants only
    Mugler cologne = air freshener
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

I buy a lot of samples but test one only per day. Applying 4 at once seems like overkill, plus it seems as if it would be hard to really evaluate a scent when three others are interfering.