Code of Conduct

Question Aoud for dummies

I'm just starting to get interested in Aoud of the Montale sort. I've read reviews here at BN and I'm still not sure. I don't think I'm ready for Black Aoud right now. I am interested in Damascus, Silver and Crystal. Anyone out there have any input on these three? Crystal and Silver are fairly new, so maybe there's not much to say on these at the moment. Any info would be helpful. Thanks one and all.

Default Re: Aoud for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by FRAGFAN View Post
    I'm just starting to get interested in Aoud of the Montale sort. I've read reviews here at BN and I'm still not sure. I don't think I'm ready for Black Aoud right now. I am interested in Damascus, Silver and Crystal. Anyone out there have any input on these three? Crystal and Silver are fairly new, so maybe there's not much to say on these at the moment. Any info would be helpful. Thanks one and all.
    Actually Sliver Aoud has just a pinch of Aoud which is almost not any Aoud at all. I just bought a bottle of Sliver Aoud which is a very non typical Montale. Crystal Aoud is for females IMO. One that I like whcih is more introductory to Aoud is Aoud Flowers.

White Aoud is a little less harsh on the Aoud. It has a nice vanilla-oud drydown.

Thumbs up Re: Aoud for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    White Aoud is a little less harsh on the Aoud. It has a nice vanilla-oud drydown.
    I was considering this one Dimitri, but from some comments that I read I thought that it would be a little more to the feminine side. Others say it's a less intense version of the Black. White was the first one that I was thinking of purchasing. (An aside...been liking your blog)

I would think Golden Aoud is a nice place to start.
    It seems to have most of what the other Aouds have but is a bit more gentle. Not necessarily toned down, just not as "in your face".
    It can lead you up and into Black Aoud, Lime Aoud and Red Aoud without the immediate potency that they have. It's everything they are but softened a bit.
    That's not to say it's inferior in any way, just that it would make a nice introduction to the Aoud line IMO.

White Aoud is certainly fine too but the vanilla aspect is not really indicative of the other Aouds in the line up.

I was considering this one Dimitri, but from some comments that I read I thought that it would be a little more to the feminine side. Others say it's a less intense version of the Black. White was the first one that I was thinking of purchasing. (An aside...been liking your blog)
    Thanks for the comments re: the blog Fragfan

When I first tried the Montales, I found Lime Aoud, Aoud Flowers and White Aoud a nice middleground when stacked against Black Aoud, Attar & Blue Amber etc. I dont think that White Aoud is particularly feminine at all... just perhaps a little more rounded and softer than Black Aoud.
    My best advice would be to email Montale and request 2 or 3 samples. It may cost you a couple of dollars in shipping, but it will definitely give you a yardstick against which you can measure all your future aoud purchases!

In terms of Oud, I began with the Montales and the Ford Private Blend, and have finally worked my way up to the real deal (non-synthetic oud oils from Malaysia, Cambodia, India and Papua New Guinea). I think if it werent for my introduction via White Aoud, Aoud Lime and Aoud Flowers, the transition to the real stuff would have been a lot scarier.

Whatever the case, have fun, experiment a lot and enjoy the experience

Check out Purplebird's thread on Montale's reviews on the Women's forum also . This will give you a better idea too.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky View Post
    Check out Purplebird's thread on Montale's reviews on the Women's forum also . This will give you a better idea too.
    Thanks for the heads up. I did read this earlier. Don't think that she reviewed White and Lime Aoud's. I did wind up ordering this two to try. Perfumed Court had a discount on Montale and I thought it would be a good time to dive in to this line up. Thanks again.

I would start out with Steam Aoud. Unlike many of the other Montale Aouds, this one isn't heavy or too harsh. And unlike the Red or White, SA is all about the oud. Its the "star" of the scent.

I think i need to go to bed. I just noticed you ordered two already.
    Anyway, i still recommend getting a sample of SA in your next order.
    Last edited by ajmc; 23rd July 2008 at 04:59 AM.

Thanks for the heads up. I did read this earlier. Don't think that she reviewed White and Lime Aoud's. I did wind up ordering this two to try. Perfumed Court had a discount on Montale and I thought it would be a good time to dive in to this line up. Thanks again.
    Enjoy them , and let us know what you think about them.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

And for future reference, check out this link if you want Montale

http://www.basenotes.net/specials/montale.html

Didn't like Black Aoud at all, but one spray of M7 was very nice. That's seems to be enough to get my aoud fix once in a while