Code of Conduct

Default his and hers (or his and his) fragrances--nice or naff?

Would you wear the same scent as your partner? I recently sampled both the male and female versions of a fragrance and liked both and suspect my husband might like the pour homme version too...but I can't get over the niggling feeling that it's a bit cheesy for a couple to use the same fragrance, even if there is the pour homme/femme distinction in the formulas. Thoughts?

Default Re: his and hers (or his and his) fragrances--nice or naff?

For some reason, I think it's fine if you both wear the same scent, just not at the same time. That's a little too matchy-matchy.

I've seen other BNers post about stealing/using their SO's frags pretty often.

I am probably the last person anyone should take advice from when it comes to style, but I don't see an issue with partners wearing the same fragrance at the same time. Don't fragrances smell different on different people anyway? Kouros smells like urine on me. It is very clearly urine. But on others it doesn't.

Even if it did smell the same on both people, whats the big deal?

I have been wearing fragrances for the past 4 months after not wearing them for 42 years. Not one person (outside my wife and kids) has noticed. If my wife and I went out with the same fragrance, I bet no one (in the "social" circles I am in) would even notice or care.

Perhaps it is the knowing that they are the which bothers the people wearing them. Sort of like when I went to Disney World and my wife had us all wearing the same shirt. Of course I did it for her.

well I want to be able to smell my Girlfriend so a little contrast is good.

I share some fragrances with my DW. She has practically hijacked my AdP Colonia Assoluta, even though she finds my hobby mildly amusing.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I think it can work for couples to wear the exact same fragrance or even those touted as his & hers. It might make them feel more unified. You know the connection you feel when you look across the room at your loved one and know you share a secret & give each other a wry grin? One of those things...maybe...
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 23rd July 2008 at 04:08 AM.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

all the time

D&G light blue...smells totally different on me
    Eclat L'anvin d'arpege
    chanel....like 5 diff ones.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Narcisso For Him and For Her (EDT) are both brilliant fragrances...
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Basenotes Institution

My scents are always worn by my husband, whenever he fancies something new. I don't particularly mind.

However we never coordinate wearing the same fragrance. I agree with lynnaea - it feels a little too forced.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th July 2008 at 04:00 AM.

Sur la Plage

A lot of his are hand-me-downs of mine

We would never wear the same fragrance at the same time.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

My situation is a bit different. I'm married to a fashion dominatrix. I'm one of her accessories. She's also a budding perfumista, thanks to me. "We" coordinate our clothes and scents - almost subconsciously. She picks out my clothes, or approves whatever I pick, I'll choose a scent to match, then she may or may not pick a scent to match mine. Often we'll wear the same house, or the same perfumer. Rarely the same scent, but occasionally we'll share a unisex scent. Especially if I have a new unisex that she likes, she'll be pretty blatant - "I want it." It's kind of funny. On most things I'm free as a bird, but on fashion and interior decoration issues, I pretty much ceded control a long time ago. Thankfully, she has good taste, and lets me handle my own scent choices. Except for Kouros, a.k.a. "tanuki one". I must receive a special dispensation for that one.

Forced? Oh, Good Lord, people, you have no idea!

I never smelled a his and hers that I actually liked. I think my bf would run for miles if I came up to him with a his and hers perfume. He does like the perfumes I bought for him but I have been prudent in choosing perfume for him. Also I like them all and wouldn't feel bad about wearing them, except for the fact it would dissapear twice as fast

All the his n hers I've smelt have been pretty rubbish. Gaultier^2 I brielfy shared with my girlfriend, however it smelled absolutely divine on her so I left it at her house!
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

I would never. Just as I would never do his&hers towels and shit like that.

Sure, I would wear the mens' version with no problem while she wears the ladies' version. I feel that is why both versions exist.

I guess it's close enough - I enjoy wearing Habit Rouge when with my favorite lady wears Shalimar.

My S.O. and I used to wear different fragrances. He liked Cartier's Santos and Declaration and I wore Guerlain's Vetiver exclusively. Then came Basenotes and JHL and Yatagan. We may often wear the same frag at the same time but it absolutely makes no difference in my ( or his) choice. I really like the fact he likes these fragrances. He also started the L' Artisan collection. He often wears Voleur de Roses, almost exclusively used up Passage de Enfer but does not crave to wear Patchouli Patch (which I love)! Feel pretty lucky to have a supportive partner in my fragrance quest.