Code of Conduct

Default Classic Masculines with Honey Notes?

I've just discovered the amazing dry-down of Paco Rabbane, how did I miss this one all these years? Anyways, I'm curious, are there other mainstream men's fragrances which feature a honey note? I want to try Ralph Lauren's Chaps again. Others?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 22nd July 2008 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: Masculine, Honey Notes?

Giorgio for Men (did you expect another answer from me? )
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Giorgio for Men (did you expect another answer from me? )
    Thanks. I also missed Giorgio the first time around. Is the new re-issue the same as the original? G

Sur la Plage

Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Thanks, it didn't come up on my thread search before I posted this. It mentions a lot of niche scents, what I'm really looking for is mainstream fragrances w/honey.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Thanks, it didn't come up on my thread search before I posted this. It mentions a lot of niche scents, what I'm really looking for is mainstream fragrances w/honey.
    Yeah, sorry I missed that part in your original post. I noticed that and was coming in to edit it, but you had already replied....

I personally think the re-issue of Giorgio is very close, if not the same, as the original.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd July 2008 at 12:03 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Default Re: Classic Masculines with Honey Notes?

Tenere's a must-try.

Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Tenere's a must-try.
    I must agree. That's the mainstream classic genre's honey baby par excellence. Too bad it's discontinued.

Is Tenere the Paco Rabanne you were referring to in the original post, Ruggles?
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

What with honey in Kouros and beeswax in Antaeus, I'm getting the impression that bees are seriously macho bugs!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 23rd July 2008 at 01:14 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

You're perhaps already familiar with it, but I've read quite a few posts about the honey note in Egoiste. I finally sampled it last year and I definitely agree: it smells like a spicy honey liqueur, pretty boozy. It lasts about 2 hours on me. Not at all my style (and Escada Pour Homme is my booze of choice) but definitely a unique concoction.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    I must agree. That's the mainstream classic genre's honey baby par excellence. Too bad it's discontinued. Is Tenere the Paco Rabanne you were referring to in the original post, Ruggles?
    No, actually it is Paco Rabanne Pour Homme. I was amazed that after a long dry down, there it was, HONEY.
    Now I have to track down Tenere. Thanks.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd July 2008 at 03:09 AM.

Hi, ya Ruggles!

Lapidus pour homme
    Burberry Weekend
    Spark/Claiborne

all contain honey...

I, too, love Paco Rabanne's honey drydown.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I personally think the re-issue of Giorgio is very close, if not the same, as the original.
    Ruggles, petruccijc's nose is superb as usual.

The new Giorgio is virtually identical to the vintage - the more I wear both versions the minor differences are no longer even worthy of mentioning.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

In addition to Giorgio for Men, other fragrances in my wardrobe that have a honey note are:
    Givenchy Gentleman
    Acqua di Cuba
    Boss Number One
    Kolnisch Juchten
    Burberry Weekend for Men
    Paco Rabanne pour Homme
    Tea for Two
    Mechant Loup
    Chaps
    Chergui
    Romeo Gigli per Uomo
    Bijan for Men
    Iquitos
    Kouros

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Hi, ya Ruggles!
    Lapidus pour homme
    Burberry Weekend
    Spark/Claiborne
    all contain honey...
    I, too, love Paco Rabanne's honey drydown.
    Hi ya, Bossanova_boy!
    I tried Lapidus PH during a lunchtime visit to my favorite "classics" store, 42 Street Perfumes.
    Wow, that one is strange. Is it wearable? Thanks for the tips.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd July 2008 at 03:27 AM.

As TwoRoads has already mentioned, Boss Number One indeed!

You guys have a far superior ability to detect honey notes to mine. There are a couple of scents listed above I haven't tried, but I can't detect honey in any of the others.

The only honey note I've ever detected was in L.T. Piver's Cuir de Russie - but unfortunately it's not that mainstream.
    Renato

I tried Lapidus PH...Is it wearable?
    Yes, I think so. But I use it only in cooler weather because it is a sillage MONSTER. Overapplication will result in the singeing of your eyelashes. Also, it has more than 10 hours of longevity on my skin.

Use just a little, or it can become an evil patchouli festival. What makes it worth the trouble? Well, applied sparingly you will experience beautiful rose and honey notes...
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Serge Luten's MIEL DU BOIS-- amazing honey scent.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene View Post
    Loved this one on me aubrgene, a lot of people think this was one vile scent that SL made. I have heard people say what was SL thinking when he made this. It is one beautiful scent.
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Definitely. It's only from 2005, but the discussion it got since then could well have manifested its classical status. Read the reviews. "Feral honey..."!

indeed it is!!!
    Another of my latest discoveries is Fougre Bengale too that imo shares with Miel de Bois the same feral honey vibe even if in a different bouquet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snafoo View Post
    What with honey in Kouros and beeswax in Antaeus, I'm getting the impression that bees are seriously macho bugs!
    LOL! Posts like this is why I check Baenotes first thing in the morning.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Ruggles, please read the Misc. section
    in the Basenote Community section and see how you feel about putting up the effective search help thread as a sticky..

With all due respect, I disagree with this one. Miel de Bois is most vile scent I've ever smelled in my life. It's one of the few Serge Lutens that completely disappointed me and I'm a big fan of the house. I don't get much honey from it as I do cough syrup, but that's just me. While some of the other SL fragrances also have medicinal qualities, I find Miel de Bois to be way over the top. Different strokes for different folks.

As for a good honey scent, I would recommend Dior's Bois d'Argent. It smells like honey sitting on soft woods. For me it's the benchmark of honey scents.

Not a classic, but I always get honey in M7. It has a sort of sticky, syrupy quality that lends to the association as well.

Basenotes Institution

I must resmell Paco Rabanne because I don't remember smelling honey in the dry down at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I must resmell Paco Rabanne because I don't remember smelling honey in the dry down at all.
    It's there Mike, give it a sniff and you shall see.

Basenotes Institution

It's there Mike, give it a sniff and you shall see.
    Is it anything like the honey in Moss Breches by Tom Ford?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st August 2008 at 12:38 AM.

Is it anything like the honey in Moss Breches by Tom Ford?
    I never bought Moss Breches, so I can't say for sure. But it's a sweet honey note that's there from the "get go".

Basenotes Institution

Honey fans, take note:

I wore Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford last night to dinner on Lincoln Road, and Ray said I smelled like honey. Something clicked when he said that - I totally got the honey note in TV instantly!

I glanced at Turin's review of it to confirm, and yes he calls it: honey tobacco

'...It is an essay on dried fruits and honey, and amounts to a more bearable version of Luten's foghorn-like Miel de Bois...'
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st February 2009 at 02:17 PM.

Dior Bois d'Argent and Dior Hypnotic Poison.

Honey fans, take note:

I wore Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford last night to dinner on Lincoln Road, and Ray said I smelled like honey. Something clicked when he said that - I totally got the honey note in TV instantly!

I glanced at Turin's review of it to confirm, and yes he calls it: honey tobacco

'...It is an essay on dried fruits and honey, and amounts to a more bearable version of Luten's foghorn-like Miel de Bois...'
    Is it just me or do you also smell a large dosage of cinnamon in the top/heart? I wore it yesterday and I went to the gym (luckily it was on my wrists) and I kept smelling boatloads of spicy notes. I love the drydown on this one though, honeyed tobacco it is.

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Is it just me or do you also smell a large dosage of cinnamon in the top/heart? I wore it yesterday and I went to the gym (luckily it was on my wrists) and I kept smelling boatloads of spicy notes. I love the drydown on this one though, honeyed tobacco it is.
    I do get cinnamon. Almost stings the nose for a bit.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by runstile View Post
    Not necessarily. My threshold for cinnamon is very high though - I'm a cinnamon junkie. To me, the top notes of TV are very vanilla prominent. Sweet vanilla.

Ava Luxe has a very fresh, very wearable honey scent: Miel Riche.

AromiErotici

Ruggles, if you REALLY REALLY REALLY want honey, give Success by MCM a whirl. There's a chance you may never want to wear honey again. I wouldn't wear it in any location where bees congregate.

Balenciaga Pour Homme

Even rugged masterpieces like Tabac Original and Knize Ten have very slight honey undertones, or some notes that vaguely smell (among other things) also of honey. Both have a powdery note, yet not in the sweet sense of the word and both have something smoky, boozy and aromatic, that might remind, although overpowered by leathery notes, of rather bitter, very dark and thick, surprisingly, very little floral honey (sine almost all sorts of honey smell, more or less of flowers, this kind of honey would rather smell of resins, wax, wood, even a little moss and fresh, moist, almost black earth- hard to describe the sensation, but one can, at least guess or assume the honey note I'm trying to refer to).

mechant loup has a lovely accord dominated by sweet notes of honey towards its basenotes...his scent is growing on me with every wear...mainsstream..hmm.. i dont recall any at this moment....

btw, i think i must go for Paco Ph afterall. sounds lovely.
    Last edited by jenson; 22nd February 2009 at 02:36 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EarNoseThroat View Post
    Balenciaga Pour Homme
    Yep!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Maxims pour homme. Think Havana with honey, very addictive stuff.

From all those mentioned and not mentioned,
    this one even s m e l l s of honey:

Ted Lapidus Pur Hmme
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd February 2009 at 06:41 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

My favorite masculine honey is Dior's Bois D'Argent... delicious, but not too sweet.

Boss Number 1 its a classic honey scent. I can see a bee at my dad, lol!

fountain

Le Dandy by Parfums d`Orsay has a nice honey with the clove and rum accord.

Rouge Royal for Men by Marina de Bourbon has a sweet honey note that remindes me of Karo, but less sweet. If you like honey, it`s cheap and you can find it at fragrancenet.