Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: How Much Have You Spent ON YOUR Collection (Not Retail Value Of The Smellies)???

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10-$100

2 2.13%
  • $100-$200

5 5.32%
  • $200-$300

5 5.32%
  • $300-$400

6 6.38%
  • $400-$500

5 5.32%
  • $500-$750

6 6.38%
  • $750-$1000

6 6.38%
  • $1000-$1500

5 5.32%
  • $1500-$2000

9 9.57%
  • $2000-$2500

5 5.32%
  • $2500-$3000

7 7.45%
  • $3000-$4000

10 10.64%
  • More Then $4000........

23 24.47%

Talking How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smellies..

Hey Guys I Was Wondering We Have Had Alot Of Polls On How Many Colonges We Have, But I Don't Remember A Poll ON How Much YOUR Collection Cost..... Not The Retail Price, But The Amount Of Have Actually Indulged On Your Beloved Smellies......So I Created This Poll So Everyone Try To Participate....

All my friends think I waste to much money on my smellies so I wanted to know I'm not alone.......In my Beautiful Hobby....

P.S-If You Got A Smelly As A Gift That Counts As Zero Spent On That Scent......
    Last edited by deadhacker; 25th July 2008 at 06:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smelli

I am glad you stopped the brackets where you did, many of us have spent quite a bit more than $ 4,000.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Default Re: How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smelli

I am in the more than $4000 bracket as well.

lolz, Yea I've not actually told anyone how much I spent, But cause I started this I'll tell you this much, In Canada almost all the perfumes I bought were at retail price (The Bay, Sears, Etc) and the Normal Price Was around 90 Plus.... for the Designer perfumes... and I have close to 70 plus... and I spent a bit on some that are more then 90 average that I paid for....so all in all alot... and its not gonna stop.....;-)
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Hey Why Isn't Anyone Voting.....

I'm just starting out, at this point I'm probably still under the $500 range. Hopefully I can keep it under $2000 or so. I've been spending most of my funds on samples, and I keep finding scents I can't live without. hehe

I had to go with more than $4000.00 ......Gary

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

More Than $4000........

(eeek! )
    Last edited by teger; 24th July 2008 at 11:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    Hey Why Isn't Anyone Voting.....
    Because we do not want to know

We do not need to know.

Id sell mine for 3000 dollars. If you want to include samples... 400 more

Post Thanks / Like

Jeez, yeah.. definitely more than $4000. It's a nice smelling household though, I must admit.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

lolz, guys i'm pretty much know embarrassed on how much I have indulged on my hobbie... totally enough to pay a good down payment on a brand new car, or even buy one....

Smile Re: How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smelli

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Because we do not want to know

We do not need to know.

Id sell mine for 3000 dollars. If you want to include samples... 400 more

did I offend you irish??? if so sorry.... but this post was just ment for fun and my personal crisis(my friends and family saying I spend to much on colonge).......... so don't take it to heart if it did..... be your jolly old self and have fun and keep on posting........;-)

Post Thanks / Like

There are some pretty big spenders on the forum!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

$4000 is not that much of an amount, especially if one has bought niche or vintage. A dozen bottles, and you are easily well over half way there. I believe mine would be closer to $9k
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    did I offend you irish??? if so sorry.... but this post was just ment for fun and my personal crisis(my friends and family saying I spend to much on colonge).......... so don't take it to heart if it did..... be your jolly old self and have fun and keep on posting........;-)
    of course not. I did not meant to give that impression... but seriously, I do not want to know. Knowing would not reduce my current consumption of EDTs, and if anything, I would only feel more guilty when buying the next scent.
    Any "normal" person would consider spending $400 in colognes as "too much". Besides, when asked like that, it does seem like a lot... but keep in mind that there are a lot of members that have been doing this for years.
    Now, if you are serious about your crisis I recomend you to buy decants... it is incredible how long 10 ml. can last when you collection has 10+ bottles.

PS: I might be willing to let go of my collection for 2500 usd...
    Last edited by irish; 25th July 2008 at 12:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    of course not. I did not meant to give that impression... but seriously, I do not want to know. Knowing would not reduce my current consumption of EDTs, and if anything, I would only feel more guilty when buying the next scent.
    Any "normal" person would consider spending $400 in colognes as "too much". Besides, when asked like that, it does seem like a lot... but keep in mind that there are a lot of members that have been doing this for years.
    Now, if you are serious about your crisis I recomend you to buy decants... it is incredible how long 10 ml. can last when you collection has 10+ bottles.

PS: I might be willing to let go of my collection for 2500 usd...
    well it was nice to hear your not angry at me lolz...., hmm decants I'm snobish when it comes to smellies. I want the biggest bottle when I get a colonge so decants might be a good idea for some colonges that I want to buy but don't want to indulge in at that time period.... do you know of a online store were they sell decants, and how much the average price is?? I really want to give some Fredic Mallies a try......and some Lutens..... I wonder if Aedes has some Lutens.....

well any insight would be good..... and your right about the niche colonges costing over 4gs....yet the crisis continues...with delight.....

P.S- Any Basenoter is anything but normall... we are fragrance geeks....lolz...;-)

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, yes, way more than $4000, but I've been collecting for years... although the collecting has really stepped up since I found Basenotes in 2005!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Ah, yes, way more than $4000, but I've been collecting for years... although the collecting has really stepped up since I found Basenotes in 2005!
    I feel normalll... plus now I can back my hobby by this thread......lolz......;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Between my finances, and those of my "Enabler," upward of $3,000.00

Damn! I could'a had my nose fixed instead!
    Snarky is as snarky does.

if we think about it thats alot of money.... that we all spend on our smellies there like our children... or like liquid crack.. dran it were like smellie addicts..... next thing you know theres a madd...lolz.. or masa... mothers against smellie addicts.....lolz

Not that much, surprisingly. 300-400, although it might be closer to $500, I'm not sure. I tend to be content with a small rotation of a few scents. I've tried a lot and there's a lot out there that I enjoy while sampling, but feel no need whatsoever to own. I'll probably end up buying 10ml decants of whatever I really like, from now on, unless it's going to become a daily scent.

I'd really like to have a rotation of about 10-15 scents that I absolutely love, with a heaping helping of samples to mix things up now and again.

Wink Re: How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smelli

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Not that much, surprisingly. 300-400, although it might be closer to $500, I'm not sure. I tend to be content with a small rotation of a few scents. I've tried a lot and there's a lot out there that I enjoy while sampling, but feel no need whatsoever to own. I'll probably end up buying 10ml decants of whatever I really like, from now on, unless it's going to become a daily scent.

I'd really like to have a rotation of about 10-15 scents that I absolutely love, with a heaping helping of samples to mix things up now and again.
    tell me something.. where can I buy these 10 ml decants that everyone is talking about.....???

Post Thanks / Like

I love these threads, they make me feel relatively normal I estimate I spent between 500 and 750 on fragrances since I started this hobby about a year ago. Considering what I actually spent on them versus what their retail value would have been (bought a few online and received a few as gifts) I feel lucky!

@deadhacker: most people buy them from www.theperfumedcourt.com
    Last edited by Merlino; 25th July 2008 at 07:27 AM.

Smile Re: How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smelli

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I love these threads, they make me feel relatively normal I estimate I spent between 500 and 750 on fragrances since I started this hobby about a year ago. Considering what I actually spent on them versus what their retail value would have been (bought a few online and received a few as gifts) I feel lucky!

@deadhacker: most people buy them from www.theperfumedcourt.com
    thank you for that info merlino I'll be checking them out now.....
    Last edited by deadhacker; 25th July 2008 at 08:21 AM.

I daren't think how much I've spent, which is why I've not voted. Too much probably!

But the way I figure it, some people do drugs, some people play golf, I just smell great. Where's the harm in that!!!
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

If this is regarding what I currently own and love, I'd say just over $2,000. If I was to include everything I've ever purchased... well, I'd have no idea. But, then again, I've more or less broken even selling off unwanted frags.

Post Thanks / Like

More than $4.000… or to be more precise – much more than $4.000.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Cool Re: How Much Does Your Collection Cost?? Actual Price You Paid So Far For Your Smelli

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I daren't think how much I've spent, which is why I've not voted. Too much probably!

But the way I figure it, some people do drugs, some people play golf, I just smell great. Where's the harm in that!!!

I agree whole heartily...... theirs no harm beside getting awesome girls to sit with you , or people complimenting you... is there??? no there isn't.... no harm detected here......;-)

Post Thanks / Like

i'd say somewhere around 7500-8000
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 26th July 2008 at 12:22 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    i'd say somewhere around 7500-8000
    lolz, I'm in the same category.....

Anyone want to add to this thread... I thought I might bring it back from the grave....

I bought almost everything I have at Basenotes or other discounted places online. Besides a few special orders from Bergdorf Goodman or Montale Paris, I've hardly ever paid full price on anything or bought from a department store, yet the collection still amounts to $3000+... Yeah, some of that needs to go, but they are so hard to let go lol.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    I bought almost everything I have at Basenotes or other discounted places online. Besides a few special orders from Bergdorf Goodman or Montale Paris, I've hardly ever paid full price on anything or bought from a department store, yet the collection still amounts to $3000+... Yeah, some of that needs to go, but they are so hard to let go lol.

totally agree with you.. its very hard to let go of a smelly.. its like a child that you start to love and start to care for and don't want to leave it....lolz my weird analogies..

Post Thanks / Like

2k just starting

Quote Originally Posted by ede_desire View Post
    2k just starting
    lets see you answer this question in two years....lolz