Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Pour Monsieur: edt vs concentree - what are the main differences?

I've got the normal edt of this one (the "classic"?) but I haven't been able to even find a tester of the concentree version. Absolutely loooove the edt, and the trick I've found with it is to spray it on your clothes, and it lasts for ages on me.

Is the concentree really different in its notes?

I'm thinking of blind-buying it if there's a substantial difference in the overall "tone" of the concentree. I've read somewhere that Tiffany for Men is very similar to it. Is that true?

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur: edt vs concentree - what are the main differences?

PM edt and PM edt Concentrée share a common ground indeed (both chypre, oakmoss, coriander, citrussy opening) but aside that they are quite different beasts.
    The classic PM is quite dry and very subtle and lasts not so long (on me probably a couple of hours). The Concentrée is sweeter having hints of vanilla in the base (but far from being a vanillic cloying monster) and has a stronger (and very good) cedarwood note make more sparkling by a generous dose of coriander spicing it up.the opening is still lemony and fresher but this juice has a full bodied 80's precence, so you don't need to bathe in it to make it work properly.
    Moreover while the classic PM is more suited for summer, this one probably gives its best with the cold season. It's anyway a well done full bodied male chypre and if you like PM you might like this version "on steroids". I do like it.

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur: edt vs concentree - what are the main differences?

Regarding the Chanel pmc/Tiffany comparison: yes, I find them somewhat similar. The same "nose' created them, and they have notes in common, too. They share cardamon, nutmeg, citrus fruit, & oakmoss. The Chanel fragrance has good longevity, while Tiffany's longevity is excellent (patchouli in the base?)

I wore Tiffany to work yesterday. I sprayed it on at 7 am, and it was still tossing sillage around by 6 pm. Chanel pmc will get me through an eight hour workday, but not beyond.

I like both, but actually prefer the Chanel scent because it is more refined, imo, by being less "loud."
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Where are you going to buy the concentree version? in australia ?
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Tiffany is MUCH stronger and '80s' than PM Concentree. PM Concentree is quite dry and versatile, while I would hesitate to wear Tiffanys outside of evening/romantic situations. I don't sense any citrus in Tiffany's, and it has a much stronger spice note. I guess the more I think about it, the more I don't think these two are alike at all.

I love the edt ... a clean refined, though somewhat fleeting scent. The concentree on the other hand is incredibly sweet ... almost in the feminine realm ... a completely different fragrance.
    Oh please, if everyone around here is going to start telling the truth, I'm going to bed. - The House of Yes

DJs stocks the Concentree. I prefer it to the original EDT, though I am in the minority. Lasts forever, and the sweet spice and vanilla is beautifully balanced by the citrus and drier aspects.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    DJs stocks the Concentree. I prefer it to the original EDT, though I am in the minority. Lasts forever, and the sweet spice and vanilla is beautifully balanced by the citrus and drier aspects.

Ged
    I join you in holding this minority view.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Chanel PM is a fresh chypre, while Concentre is a sweet chypre.
    I love the original, I find it lasts fine on me; the initial blast is a bit like having bleach spilled on you, but then it all comes together and turns into perfection.

Ged,

Does DJ's still stock the concentree? I have never seen it in their tester sections or in the Chanel stand. This is the Melbourne Bourke St Mall stores, however.

Whereabouts did you see it?

I was thinking of doing a blindbuy off the net for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    Ged,

Does DJ's still stock the concentree? I have never seen it in their tester sections or in the Chanel stand. This is the Melbourne Bourke St Mall stores, however.

Whereabouts did you see it?

I was thinking of doing a blindbuy off the net for this one.

I wouldn't blind buy the Concentree if I were you. I have a bottle of it and I am not convinced by it at all. Test it first. It's been on my "shall I Ebay it or not?" list for a few weeks now. It doesn't last that well, stays fairly close to the skin and frankly when I am looking at my fragrance collection I see Egoiste or Egoiste Platinum there and I will go for one of those in preference.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I wouldn't blind buy the Concentree if I were you. I have a bottle of it and I am not convinced by it at all. Test it first. It's been on my "shall I Ebay it or not?" list for a few weeks now. It doesn't last that well, stays fairly close to the skin and frankly when I am looking at my fragrance collection I see Egoiste or Egoiste Platinum there and I will go for one of those in preference.
    Oh dear!

Any samples I can buy/sell/swap off anyone, then? lol!

I have the oposite problem. I see the Concentree version everywhere, but can't find the original EDT anywhere (except as a sample at TPC). Even the Chanel website only shows Cencentree. Does anyone know a company still selling Chanel Pour Monsieur (NOT Concentree)?

I prefer the concentrated version.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I prefer the concentrated version.
    me too..

The trick to make PM last is to spray it evenly on Fabric..

Both the versions are incredible and carry the same heart (like Bossa Nova Mentioned). Only Difference, PMC is a lil bit Coriander heavy and is a sportier version of the original.
    Last edited by jenson; 11th August 2010 at 10:22 PM.

I should be getting a vintage aftershave of the original within the next few days (it says For Men rather than Pour Monsieur, if that matters). Any thoughts on how it compares to the EdT?

I wore Concentree yesterday to work. Went to the gym at lunchtime, and blammo - big sillage when I started working out. Too much, actually. I've been wearing it a lot this summer, but in warm weather you have to go very light on it.

I do love it, though. So much so that I've been tempted to buy the original version. It's not in any stores I've been in - and I'm a serial fragrance shopper, in many U.S. cities, since I travel for business pretty often. Only place I've seen the original is online, on international websites.

I absolutely love the Concentree version, but unfortunately it`s no longer aviable in my country. Only the edt.. I have to order on-line. Some advice where to buy?

The Concentree reminds me of Obsession for men, which I don't like much. I prefer something like KL Homme or Tiffany for Men instead. I got my aftershave of the original PM and it's great for what it is, which is a mild chypre. It's very natural, well blended, rich, and dynamic. I'm considering swapping or selling my vintage Antaeus but I'm leaning towards keeping my PM (which has great longevity and sillage for an A/S).

Jacques Polge, in all his wisdom when he created this fragrance used a bit too much nutmeg in trying to stretch the longevity of this fragrance. If that indeed was his intention, and in doing so took away the lighter, and brighter aspect of this fragrance. The original creation by Henri Robert was more of I would say an Oriental Fougere, and the Concentree version I view as a spicy Oriental. The Concetree version has a bit too much nutmeg for me, thus I find I can't wear it. The original is a superb creation that I never tire of.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....