Code of Conduct

Default The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

I decided to trawl through my reviews, today, because some time ago I came across one that should have been a thumbs-up but is a neutral. It now appears a significant number of my reviews (i.e. at least 10%) that should be either a thumbs-up or thumbs-down are neutrals instead.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

Default Re: The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I decided to trawl through my reviews, today, because some time ago I came across one that should have been a thumbs-up but is a neutral. It now appears a significant number of my reviews (i.e. at least 10%) that should be either a thumbs-up or thumbs-down are neutrals instead.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
    it seems the whole review system is indeed buggered up. I'm going to have a look tonight to see if it is salvageable..

are the ones that have turned neutral ones that have been edited at all? I'm wondering if the edits aren't recording the correct rating

Grant, after having a quick look through my reviews, it seems that most (if not all) of them are reviews dated from May 2008 onwards. Chances are that all of the ones incorrectly rated were edited after being submitted. The funny thing is, I rarely change the rating - I just correct typos or re-write a review. For example, my review for Eau du Soir is a neutral - quite strange as I love the stuff and currently own a bottle! My review for EdS was always positive...
    Last edited by Trebor; 23rd July 2008 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Grant, after having a quick look through my reviews, it seems that most (if not all) of them are reviews dated from May 2008 onwards. Chances are that all of the ones incorrectly rated were edited after being submitted. The funny thing is, I rarely change the rating - I just correct typos or re-write a review. For example, my review for Eau du Soir is a neutral - quite strange as I love the stuff and currently own a bottle! My review for EdS was always positive...
    I'm thinking that what happens is when you edit a fragrance, it doesnt take any notice of the previous rating and just defaults to neutral. I'll have a look -- an edited review doesnt delete the old one, so the previous ratings are still in the system somewhere

Cool! Many thanks, Grant.

Review edits are now turned off to prevent further probs. cheers trebor

I am brand new to the site but have resubmitted one product review four times since last week, without success, and am still waiting to see if the other product review I wrote four days ago will be accepted. This sort of takes the fun out of trying to participate in the community.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I am brand new to the site but have resubmitted one product review four times since last week, without success, and am still waiting to see if the other product review I wrote four days ago will be accepted. This sort of takes the fun out of trying to participate in the community.
    Per the terms of service, new members have to wait until their reviews are approved.

You can have your reviews posted immediately if you are a paying supporter or if you have reached a certain number of posts (maybe 500, I can't find the complete info on this).
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Thanks for replying. I have no problem with a waiting period; mostly I just wondered why one of the scents I reviewed has not even shown up as "pending approval." So when I saw this thread I thought it might be a good idea to post my experiences with the review rating system. But it is a big site to manage, so things are bound to happen or not happen, from time to time.

Angry Re: The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

The rating system doesn't work properly!!! All my ratings got mixed up. I'm totally shocked and now I cannot even revise my ratings.

The same problem with me. How long is this mess going to last?

I have been trying to add more details to a review I submitted recently without success. Please fix the problem with editing reviews soon.

Thumbs down Re: The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

Wow, this feature has been disabled for months now. Not good.

To the new members... in all fairness, the review editing ability was only recently added, so a few months with it off isn't going to hurt anything. Give it time... there is a bunch of work and limited resources to address it.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Exclamation Re: The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    To the new members... in all fairness, the review editing ability was only recently added, so a few months with it off isn't going to hurt anything. Give it time... there is a bunch of work and limited resources to address it.
    While I am sympathetic to the lack of resources available to address the problem, knowing this does not make it any less frustrating to not be able to access the editing feature on our reviews. Personally, I would prefer having access to the edit feature regardless of whether the "thumbs up/down/neutral" rating system is fully operable; people can gauge whether a review is favorable by reading it.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    While I am sympathetic to the lack of resources available to address the problem, knowing this does not make it any less frustrating to not be able to access the editing feature on our reviews. Personally, I would prefer having access to the edit feature regardless of whether the "thumbs up/down/neutral" rating system is fully operable; people can gauge whether a review is favorable by reading it.

I agree. The editing feature should be turned back on. And I, for one, haven't experienced any difficulties with my thumb ratings. Could it be a browser issue for some folks?
    "Certainly, virtue is like precious odours, most fragrant when they are incensed, or crushed: for prosperity doth best discover vice; but adversity doth best discover virtue."

- Francis Bacon

Editing should be back on.
    Last edited by pasha; 14th October 2008 at 09:20 PM.

Any news on the editing function? I just discovered - the hard way - the review system doesn't allow html and I'm trying to take out some pointless tags.

When might we expect to see a return to the process of being able to edit our reviews?

I'm curious about this myself.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Really like to see the EDIT feature turned back on. It's kinda dangerous without being able to change since, like food, fragrances take time to appreciate fully.

Blog Entries

Bump! I'm getting impatient. I know you work hard, Grant, and I appreciate it (nice to see the chat room up and running), but I'd really like to make some edits.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I'll add here that I wouldn't mind if there were some ads on this site that provided the money to get these kinds of things done a lot quicker. Has that been considered?

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Hmm. So review editing has been off since October? Any thots on when it will be back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Review edits are now turned off to prevent further probs. cheers trebor
    I correct myself. It's been off since July 2008.
    Last edited by Aiona; 18th March 2009 at 05:45 AM.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Its my current project. So when the day to day running of the site is done for the day, it's what I'm working on.

Its my current project. So when the day to day running of the site is done for the day, it's what I'm working on.
    Thank you, Grant.

Question Re: The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

Any update?

are the ones that have turned neutral ones that have been edited at all? I'm wondering if the edits aren't recording the correct rating
    It's, in fact, totally messed up. All my reviews were given a neutral status, quite against my intentions.
    Can't you do something about this?

Deleted.
    Last edited by Ronin; 17th April 2009 at 05:21 AM.

Question Re: The review rating system is a bit buggered up...

Update? I have many reviews that need to be changed/altered. PLEEEEEASE!

Is the review editing always down?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Is the review editing always down?
    Maybe,

Trebor has 4000+ reviews and they're all negative, and they're all ************************

I'll take it that the review editing is down

Still not working... I am not complaining, since I greatly enjoy using Basenotes, and what's more, for free, but still it is quite inconvenient. Is there any way we can help?

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm wondering about review editing too as I found a typo (gahh!) that I'd like to (must!) fix, but I can't figure out how. I remember there being some kerfuffle about it a few months ago but I don't remember the resolution. Can we edit our reviews now...or is that perhaps only allowed for bnplus members?
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I have a review editing problem,too. First, there is no editing option at the moment, correct? [It's not just me, or my status? Hard to tell b/c this editing feature thread goes so many years back]

When I view my review of Mecca (lby searching the Mecca reviews page) my review shows a neutral instead of a positive. But I noticed that when I click on all of my reviews, my review of Mecca shows up as positive (which was my intention).

I'm wondering-- it seems editing rarely works--is the site is going in the direction of phasing out editing or is it just a glitchy feature, still a work in progress?

I wonder, too, if editing ends up not being an option (or only an option for BN +--as someone suggested ) if we could have a chance to at least have one last pass at editing, or at least deleting our reviews.

It's so embarrassing to find typos, or to find a thumbs down mistakenly posted with a glowing review (something I see quite frequently). Not to mention that it would be nice to go back and add info (EDT vs EDP; change of heart; info on year of formulation, since scents change and review soften no longer match what is out there; sillage experiments; season experiments;and so on).

I confess I feel a bit nervous about the "carved in stone" status, as it were.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 24th October 2010 at 02:20 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I'm bumping this thread again hoping that someone can shed some light on it. Are we able to edit our own reviews?

Fwiw, I agree with Nostalgie; I doubt I'll be submitting anymore reviews if I can't edit them once they show up.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Another week, another bump.

I don't know whether to be shocked that nobody can answer this simple question, or hurt that nobody will. Have I unwittingly stumbled upon a forbidden topic? Please, someone here must know whether or not we can edit our reviews. If so, how? And if not, will that ever be changing?

Thanks - any help would be most appreciated!