Code of Conduct

Default Vintage? Aged?? Reformulated???

I just bought a new bottle of Antaeus, and if memory serves, my old bottle used to have the same shape with a square cap, but it definitely smelled different from this newer one. My old bottle smelled mostly of powdery patchouli and I could never understand the beeswax note that everyone was talking about until smelling the juice from my new bottle. I can't believe I smell the labdanum now too. The juice is not as longlasting or as powerful as the older. Powerful in the beginning like I'm used to, but becomes quiet after the first hour.

Just wondering what you might suspect it might be. Was my older bottle a vintage formulation, or just an old bottle and the patchouli has developed and ripened in smell, and/or is my new bottle a refomulated incarnation? HELP!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Vintage? Aged?? Reformulated???

Some recent discussion on Antaeus reformulation:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=antaeus
    Last edited by petruccijc; 23rd July 2008 at 10:47 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Perhaps this thread from two weeks ago can help:
    Antaeus old and new.

Same thread that petruccijc recommended.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 23rd July 2008 at 10:55 PM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

IMav,
    Do you remember member "Ric"? I haven't seen him here for a long while. (He is missed!)
    If I recall correctly, Antaeus was his favorite and he is pretty schooled in all the nuances of the juice, old and new. He once told me (and I agree) that after a while Antaeus looses some of it's oomph, especially the beeswax and the initial woody blast. Surprisingly, it still remains pleasant and wearable but sort of becomes one dimensional, lacking aspects of fresh Antaeus. I would agree with this 100%. It happened to me and after my purchase of a new bottle, it was easy to identify.

Along with this, I think the juice has been reformulated. When I used it long ago, I remember it being much more potent than what I have today. The threads mentioned above may clarify that better than I can. I am only going from memory but if I were a betting man...... :-)

Eric

Is it even possible to get "vintage" Antaeus? How long has it been since the reformulation(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I just bought a new bottle of Antaeus, and if memory serves, my old bottle used to have the same shape with a square cap, but it definitely smelled different from this newer one. My old bottle smelled mostly of powdery patchouli and I could never understand the beeswax note that everyone was talking about until smelling the juice from my new bottle. I can't believe I smell the labdanum now too. The juice is not as longlasting or as powerful as the older. Powerful in the beginning like I'm used to, but becomes quiet after the first hour.

Just wondering what you might suspect it might be. Was my older bottle a vintage formulation, or just an old bottle and the patchouli has developed and ripened in smell, and/or is my new bottle a refomulated incarnation? HELP!
    I'm just curious: Do you like what you smell? Or do you mourn about your old Antaeus?

Quote Originally Posted by evogel View Post
    IMav,
    Do you remember member "Ric"? I haven't seen him here for a long while. (He is missed!)
    If I recall correctly, Antaeus was his favorite and he is pretty schooled in all the nuances of the juice, old and new. He once told me (and I agree) that after a while Antaeus looses some of it's oomph, especially the beeswax and the initial woody blast. Surprisingly, it still remains pleasant and wearable but sort of becomes one dimensional, lacking aspects of fresh Antaeus. I would agree with this 100%. It happened to me and after my purchase of a new bottle, it was easy to identify.

Along with this, I think the juice has been reformulated. When I used it long ago, I remember it being much more potent than what I have today. The threads mentioned above may clarify that better than I can. I am only going from memory but if I were a betting man...... :-)

Eric
    OK, this makes sense, and I'll have to agree that the scent will go one dimensional after a while, because I had a hard time wearing my 'old, non-vintage' bottle. Seems to me it's a typical trait for a Chanel to 'evolve' after being in posession of the bottle for some time in my experience. I never can own a bottle of Chanel and have it truly stay the same way, which makes me think they still use a good amount of natural raw materials in their scents. I owned a bottle of Allure Homme Sport for 2 years and the top notes and vetiver all went to sh*ts!

As for the 'new' Antaeus, the reformulation to me is still a good welcome because you can actually smell the nuances, because to me the patchouli seems to get in the way with the many wonderful facets in the scent. Only downfall is the longevity, much like the tragic fate of Egoiste!

I guess my question now is why my older non-vintage bottle had much much better longevity compared to this new one.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!