Code of Conduct

Default Karma and a sneaky side of Sensuous

As much as I love fragrance, I've been known to kvetch when in the presence of people who love their fragrances so much they unselfishly share them with every living thing within 50 feet. When I'm near these aromatic folks, I've been known to claim to my embarrassed, nose-blind husband, that I can taste their scents. On a couple of occasions in restaurants I've had to be relocated to new tables because I was overwhelmed by the sillage of someone's scent. So I should know better.

It was in the mid-90s today, and I had to finish up some gardening, schlep my kids around town, and do a few nasty housework things. I wanted to wear a fragrance that would smell pretty as I sweated through the day. I've worn Sensuous a couple of times since I bought it, but I was waiting for cool weather to enjoy it completely. When I've worn it, it's been a powdered-sugary, woodsy skin-scent, with occasional hints of lily. I figured because of its tenacity and facets, it would be a good choice for today. After I showered, I grabbed my little bottle of Sensuous. On most days, I spray twice, but some overindulgent urge forced me to spray...a lot. (In fact, I sprayed 8 times. Full sprays, not little spritzes.) Sensuous is no shrinking violet, so I could have cleared an entire restaurant with my sillage. Shame on me. Fortunately for anyone who may have come within 50 feet of me today, Sensuous taught me a lesson.

Within 30 minutes after my spray-fest, I felt as though I smelled HEAT. The smell made me imagine my skin was prickling and tingling (maybe it was?). I smelled smoke, and SPICE; not apple-pie cozy spice, but flaming black pepper, scorching cinnamon, and singed woods. Sensuous, when sprayed with abandon, had become one of the spiciest, zestiest fragrances I've ever worn! And forget "skin scent"...the sillage was reproducing itself at a terrifyingly rapid rate. Although fragrances tend to be spicy on me, this was the first time my chemistry had ever magnified spice notes to the point that I couldn't stand them. It may have been psychophysiological, but the smell seemed to burn my nose hairs. (Okay, so it was probably psychophysiological, but this was an intense smell.)

Back into the shower I went, and I washed with soap and a sugar scrub. I managed to "dim" the Sensuous to its pleasant pitch, and once again I found myself enjoying whiffs of lily, sugar, and mild woods. Eight hours later, I'm still enjoying the dimensions of Sensuous.

I'll be spraying this one lightly from now on, unless I find myself armed with Sensuous for sustenance, because I'm freezing to death in a blizzard in Nepal.:bounce:
    Last edited by Tovah; 24th July 2008 at 12:43 AM.

Default Re: Karma and a sneaky side of Sensuous

I OD'd on Angel when it first came out - just like you, too many sprays one morning and I couldn't stand to smell it - for a decade.

I tried Sensuous the other day at the dept store. Right off the bat, I received a compliment on it. Nevertheless, I got that smothering sandalwood effect as it dried down, so no Sensuous for me!

LOL! Poor Tovah
    Once I was so annoyed at Mr.tinker that I wanted to annoy him with sillage (yes, I am that childish) so I put on about 7 big sprays of Montaigne EdT in the August heat...Yowza! I ended up giving myself a migrane & throwing up.
    Take that, Mr.tinker!!
    Last edited by tinker424; 24th July 2008 at 07:53 PM.

Great stories!

I've inadvertently reeked up a couple of confined locations, one being government property. The culprit was Montale White Oud, which had a charming burnt peanut note on me and which I applied unknowingly since the decant was labeled Bois des Iles.

Tinker, I made myself sick one day by collecting a variety of scent strips while shopping in Orlando in 100-degree heat. As it was, I was a bit overcome by the heat, and I tossed the strips onto the passenger seat and then rode home nauseated but defiant, unable to chuck the strips into a bin at the rest area. Eight scents battled for attention: All were Bond No. 9.

This killed any desire to purchase a bottle of Fire Island ever again (I swapped one last year), but I will be buying a replacement West Side. It withstood the heat and fumigation of the others.

Funny this thread should pop up today, as I'm giving Sensuous a full wearing. Thus far, I feel it is a scent that is weak on my skin. Either that or I have difficulty smelling the musk ~ which is sometimes the case with me & musk. I'm a person who enjoys wearing a frag with excellent sillage. Some of my faves are Amarige, Poison, Coco, and Angel...all known sillage beasts! Before I drift off topic, let me state for the record: Sensuous is low on sillage for me. It stays close to the skin, reminding me of the way scented shave gel leaves your skin smelling. Funny too, that on the white paper ribbon Sensuous lasts & projects well...so I presume it's my skin that's responsible for eating up the fragrance molecules in this gorgeous new Lauder gem! BTW, I used about 8 sprays from my test vial. (practically the entire vial!)

I'm testing EL Sensuous too today, post afternoon shower. I'm not sure about it yet. I really want to like it - I think I do - but the "smothering sandalwood", as Seattlelight puts it, is not always my friend. I want to try it a time or two before I jump to any conclusions. I love the sugary-sweet part, and I think I smell a little anise -maybe that's the lily though? It's pretty nice, if the woods will behave on my skin.

Tovah! EIGHT sprays! Girl, you are brave! I admire that!

I just love this fragrance. It totally agrees with me in every way, and one of the most complimented fragrances, too, I might add.

I had a momentary lapse of reason one day when I was dressing to go out to dinner. I thought I was putting on Caron Bellodgia but I had accidently picked up Givenchy Amarige and god help me put on 3 full sprays of it before it registered that the bottle was not right. 3 sprays of Bellodgia is pretty hefty but 3 of Amarige.....deadly I did not have time to shower again so i scrubbed and used alcohol swaps until I had beaten it down to a steady 3 foot sillage rather that next county over.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    and I think I smell a little anise -maybe that's the lily though?

I smell anise, too.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    Funny this thread should pop up today, as I'm giving Sensuous a full wearing. Thus far, I feel it is a scent that is weak on my skin. Either that or I have difficulty smelling the musk ~ which is sometimes the case with me & musk. I'm a person who enjoys wearing a frag with excellent sillage. Some of my faves are Amarige, Poison, Coco, and Angel...all known sillage beasts! Before I drift off topic, let me state for the record: Sensuous is low on sillage for me. It stays close to the skin, reminding me of the way scented shave gel leaves your skin smelling. Funny too, that on the white paper ribbon Sensuous lasts & projects well...so I presume it's my skin that's responsible for eating up the fragrance molecules in this gorgeous new Lauder gem! BTW, I used about 8 sprays from my test vial. (practically the entire vial!)
    This is exactly what it's doing on me, too. I'm also with you on the 'sillage beasts', I love 'em, too. I actually hope it improves on me come Summertime ( its Winter for me at the moment ), but it may just be my skin. Mind you, I'm still enjoying Sensuous

I'm really looking forward to trying Sensuous - does anyone know when it's going to be released in Europe and/or the UK?
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

I over did Samsara once.....only once.

Emma

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Versace Dreamer for me. I foolishly uber-spritzed before bed one night and after a few hours of outlandish dreams that involved smelling things not all that pleasant, I awoke with a start, ran to the bathroom, showered thoroughly and managed to get back to sleep shortly after since I was by then only sillaging a greatly diminished aura that didn't peel the paint off the wall but merely wrinkled it.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell