Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Serge Lutens Poll, only vote for scents TRIED and LIKED.

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ambre Sultan

31 40.79%
  • Arabie

13 17.11%
  • Bornéo 1834

13 17.11%
  • Cèdre

6 7.89%
  • Chêne

10 13.16%
  • Chergui

31 40.79%
  • Chypre Rouge

5 6.58%
  • Clair de Musc

4 5.26%
  • Daim Blond

18 23.68%
  • Datura Noir

5 6.58%
  • Douce Amère

13 17.11%
  • Fleurs de Citronnier

2 2.63%
  • Fleurs d'Oranger

5 6.58%
  • Fumerie Turque

24 31.58%
  • Gris Clair

18 23.68%
  • Miel de Bois

3 3.95%
  • Muscs Koublaï Khän

29 38.16%
  • Santal Blanc

7 9.21%
  • Un Bois Vanille

7 9.21%
  • Vétiver Oriental

10 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Poll: Best of: Serge Lutens -Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Limited to 20 , mostly Export Line, please ONLY vote for scents you have tried and liked.

Default Re: Poll: Best of: Serge Lutens -Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I voted for Fumerie Turque

Smile Re: Poll: Best of: Serge Lutens -Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Mkk

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

MKK, without a doubt.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Taken from the thread below:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=177003

It's been 2 weeks since my samples arrived, and I've spent a lot of time wearing them around. Since many of the guys here at Basenotes have limited experience with this line of fragrances, I've tried to compare them to some more readily available fragrances that many more people may have experienced. Anyway, here's what I've found:

Chene: Woody, and very dry. There is a definite celery-seed odor in the opening, which eventually turned into a combination of pine-needles and mothballs (?). This smoothed out into a very grassy, vetiver-like drydown, but by the end of the day it was pretty weak.

Cuir Mauresque: VERY syruppy opening. It was more than heady...more like humid smelling. There is a lot of orange-spice coming through for the first half of the day before evening out into a comfortable, warm leather. Very nice, but the drydown wasn't very original. Very much like Creed's Royal English Leather at the finish.

Fumerie Turque: Perhaps my favorite of the lot. This one had the best opening, complete with a spicy smokiness which lasted throughout the day. The point at which this seemed most manly-smelling was actually near the beginning. As the day wore on, this one started to resemble Amouage Gold: the same dry rose fragrance reared up out of nowhere, and was a refreshing surprise, especially since it didn't detract from the masculinity that this fragrance seemed to exude. By the evening, there was a very definite resemblance to Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin.

Arabie: At first this seemed like a cross between Mechant Loup and LV Spezie. Almost a gourmand fragrance, it has a very rich, spicy, plum-pudding opening. It moved into potpourri for most of the day, but lightened and smoothed out to a Jaipur EDP finish. Seems like a great Holiday fragrance, but not well-suited for the office.

Ambre Sultan: Perhaps the most Amber-centered fragrance I've ever worn. Luckily, it was only 16 degrees fahrenheit when I wore this because it is VERY warm. So much so that I didn't even feel cold when I was outside! I imagine it would be chokingly so on a warm day. Pleasant, but not the most original scent.

Vetiver Oriental: Vetiver Extraordinaire has been my favorite vetiver-based fragrance for years...until now. SL's version is much woodier and spicier in my opinion, and it takes that bitter edge off in such a way that even my wife (who dislikes almost every vetiver I own) actually complimented me on this one. Perhaps this is because, despite this being touted as a vetiver-based fragrance, is really an oriental in green clothing! Really a very pleasantly surprising fragrance, and might just be on my list of must buy fragrances.
    Douce Amere ö Since you like the oriental in Vetiver Oriental, I suggest this oriental fragrance that is one of the best. Very aromatic opening with anise and cinnamon, with clean and light flowers, and a vanilla/musk/cedar drydown. This is the oriental fragrance that many aspire to, but only few attain. Sweeter and more unisex than VO.

Bois Sepia ö my favorite ãBoisä. Opens with tobacco and cypress to create a calming and uplifting feeling. Very masculine. Gourmand base of patchouli and sandalwood.

Daim Blond ö Starts off a bit sweet, and progresses to a supple, creamy, white suede. Beautiful!

Muscs Koublai Khan: How can something so strong look so much like plain tap water? Upon application this one had a note that I couldn't quite identify. Luckily, my wife (who used to work with fragrances for a living) hit it right on the nose: Man-ass. That said, it dropped off it's sharp edges and (if I may again refer to the Frederic Malle line) became very reminiscent of Musc Ravageur! I assume that the very similar note here is what true musk smells like. However, whereas Malle's Musc Ravageur seems smeared with vanilla by the end of the day, Koublai Khan replaces the vanilla with a warm sandalwood which holds up well into the next day. Really a brilliant fragrance.

La Myrrhe: The only one that I didn't like at all. I can't really picture a man wearing this, and although I like myrrh's bitter-sweet smokiness, this one just seemed too floral, and not in a heliotrope way. This was more of a frangipani and patchouli 'till you puke floral. Definitely not my thing.

The bottom line is this: Serge Lutens obviously skews towards more oriental fragrances, and this is where he really shines. His liberal use of spices, woods, and musk are sure to make a statement wherever you wear them. Being a huge Creed fan myself, I find the Serge Lutens offerings to be running an altogether different race. With Creed you get classy and refined. With Serge Lutens you get audacious and opulent. These perfumers take similar pathes to vastly different destinations. They both use VERY high-grade ingredients, and in the hands of true masters they really seem to communicate with the wearer.

Some of the Serge Lutens offerings definitely have a place in my arsenal, namely Fumerie Turque, Vetiver Oriental and Muscs Koublai Khan. Unfortunately, Serge Lutens doesn't distribute two of these (FT and MKK) to America, and so I'm probably going to limit myself to decants of these. The good news here is that I can't really see myself needing more than that as they aren't likely additions to my daily rotation anyway.
    Last edited by afraafra; 4th September 2008 at 03:37 PM.

Those are some great reviews Afra. good read.

I don't want to be unoriginal but MKK really is the cat's meow!

(btw, a civet actually isn't a cat )

EDIT: adding that Iris Silver Mist is also great though not listed in your poll.
    Last edited by Merlino; 24th July 2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Those are some great reviews Afra. good read.
    You can find the original thread linked at the bottom of that post
    Last edited by jrd4t; 24th July 2008 at 08:50 PM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

MKK is a really good musk - but of the ones I tried and liked, it was at the lower end of my "like" list of SL. As a musk its great, but personal tastes lead me to other musks.

But my heart goes to Chergui which is unique, complex AND wonderful. Santal Blanc and Borneo 1834 are both teriffic, too.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

I now own MKK and Chergui, they have yet to outstay their welcome like a few others I've owned. Arabie was my first Lutens and along with Daim Blond and Gris Clair, I would probably never re-buy it, as it is entwined too specifically with a specific time in my life.
    I'll always have a bottle of MKK, it's my sweaty trip down the primrose path.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th July 2008 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    You can find the original thread linked at the bottom of that post
    oops....got it..

I LOVE my new bottle of Chergui. Outside of wax samples, I haven't been able to sample others fully yet. I have 8 carded samples at home and 6 more coming from Luckyscent from a recent order so I'll come back and vote once I have a chance to really experience more!

I LOVE my new bottle of Chergui. Outside of wax samples, I haven't been able to sample others fully yet. I have 8 carded samples at home and 6 more coming from Luckyscent from a recent order so I'll come back and vote once I have a chance to really experience more!
    Finally!! you got what you wanted!

Sur la Plage

I have tried many of them, and the ones that I like are:

Arabie (own)
    Ambre Sultan (own)
    Chene (next on the list to get)
    Gris Clair (will hopefully be arriving from a swap sometime soon........)
    Muscs Kublai Khan (own)
    Last edited by petruccijc; 24th July 2008 at 09:51 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by P-Natra View Post
    I voted for Fumerie Turque
    Woohoo! Me too... I love it.

Yes, FT is up there but Cuir Mauresque is defininitely one for my favorites. I guess it's not export line yet. Is Borneo in the export line now?
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I voted for the Sultan, but Fumerie Turque was second runner up.

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene View Post
    Yes, FT is up there but Cuir Mauresque is defininitely one for my favorites. I guess it's not export line yet. Is Borneo in the export line now?
    I think Bornéo is going to be in the export line, but I don't believe it's actually been exported yet (I called every Barney's and Ashley at Luckyscent asked the owner and he said he couldn't get it either)

Fumerie is what I voted for, but Chergui would have been my next vote.

Fumerie Turque is on the top of the list of those I have tested.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

Honestly, of the ones I've tried, all export range, none of them have done anything for me. Nice enough but nothing special on my skin. I get nothing from L'Artisan or MPG lines either, so...

I think Bornéo is going to be in the export line, but I don't believe it's actually been exported yet (I called every Barney's and Ashley at Luckyscent asked the owner and he said he couldn't get it either)
    Thanks for the update!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

You must try Chergui, Fumerie Turque, and Bornéo 1834.. They're completely different than the others and I think someone who didn't like the rest would enjoy those.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona View Post
    Honestly, of the ones I've tried, all export range, none of them have done anything for me. Nice enough but nothing special on my skin. I get nothing from L'Artisan or MPG lines either, so...

I voted for MKK, but the poll list did not have the other two that I own:
    Cuir Mauresque and La Myrrhe.

I have all three because I like all three very much,
    although I do think that MKK is the masterpiece of the lot.

BTW afraafra, I don't find La Myrrhe either floral or a particularly 'feminine' scent.
    Maybe it is; but I'd still wear it because I like it.

[ 1 ] MKK (own)
    [ 2 ] Fumerie Turque (own)

I own a Vetiver Oriental too but it doesn't work for me - no sillage, no logitivity - I might as well sell it
    Last edited by achanna; 25th July 2008 at 03:50 AM.
    My Top Six - Guerlain Vetiver, Santal Noble, Bois Du Portugal, Antaeus, GIT, Vetiver Extraordinaire

Wardrobe

I voted for MKK, VO, and Ambre Sultan; all three of which I own and proudly wear often (in fact I'm wearing VO right now). Of those three MKK is my favorite, no other musk comes close. Another that I like that wasn't on the list is A la Nuit, my wife wears this and it really is one of the best jasmine scents that I have experienced.
    Last edited by surreality; 25th July 2008 at 04:17 AM.