Code of Conduct

Default Nicole Miller for Men review

Yesterday, along with my Kouros Eau D'Ete and Kouros Fraicheur, I also got a bottle of Nicole Miller for Men. I bought it blind based on its reputation on Basenotes.

Wow. It sure is boozy for starters. I think I might start wearing it to work so my idiot boss will try to bust me out for drinking on the job-- then I can make him look dumb. Seriously, it does smell like bourbon, but with all of the orange in this scent, it's more like Grand Marnier or Cointreau. I do get some kind of melon notes as well. A very unusual scent for certain. It's headturning. Something in the weird combo of notes punches me in the nose in the same way Serge Lutens' Chypre Rouge does.

On the downside, I don't think Nicole Miller for Men smells "cheap" per se, but it seems slightly constructed in some areas. The opening is like a giant magnificent brass facade that leads into a building that is significantly more modest on the inside. The basenotes are kind of a letdown. The three dimensional opening soon becomes two dimensional and then quickly one dimensional. So it doesn't exactly evolve much, but I do pick up a little leather as it goes on, so maybe I'm being a little premature.

Overall, I think it's a good scent and it's really unique. The bottle is hideous. What is it supposed to be? A paper bag over a wino's bottle of hooch? A broom? I Don't know. Whatever it is, it's goofy, but I'll overlook it. It's kind of fun though.

I do have to praise the manufacturers for resurrecting this formerly discontinued scent. My box says 2008 on it. Based on what I've read, they've reintroduced this to the market, as there was probably a lot of demand for it. That's almost heartbreakingly noble. I wish more designers would follow this lead and rerelease some of their discontinued gems. I hope a lot of people buy Nicole Miller for Men and it sets an example for other companies-- maybe opening a door for others to do the same thing.

Don't ever "86" the hooch!

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Nicole Miller for Men review

Great review Indie!

I always loved Nicole Miller for Men and was very disappointed when it was discontinued. I am very happy now to have it back in my wardrobe - and the scent is as boozy and wonderful as I remember.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Indie,
    Excellent review. What did you think of the sillage and longevity of the NM?

I have no experience with the older formula, just a new bottle and while it lasts a long while on my skin, from the start, the projection is next to nil. I used 20 or so sprays and still get the same result.
    Very strange to me. Like I mentioned, I can smell it well into the night if applied in the early AM but I really need to make a concentrated effort and bring my arm up to my nose to do so even right after I apply it!
    Last edited by evogel; 24th July 2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I do have to praise the manufacturers for resurrecting this formerly discontinued scent. My box says 2008 on it. Based on what I've read, they've reintroduced this to the market, as there was probably a lot of demand for it. That's almost heartbreakingly noble. I wish more designers would follow this lead and rerelease some of their discontinued gems. I hope a lot of people buy Nicole Miller for Men and it sets an example for other companies-- maybe opening a door for others to do the same thing.

Don't ever "86" the hooch!
    I'm not sure it was re-released due to demand. I'm more inclined to think it was intended to garner additional publicity for Nicole Miller's new contract and plans with Parlux Fragrances. I contacted Parlux to ask about accessory products like aftershave balm, etc. I got referred to someone else and they never got back to me, even after several follow-ups. However, there was one interesting phrase in the response I got (from the senior sales manager at Parlux) that I'll share with you here and you can make of it what you will: "we did recently have a limited distribution of the Nicole Miller men's original fragrance."

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    I'm not sure it was re-released due to demand. I'm more inclined to think it was intended to garner additional publicity for Nicole Miller's new contract and plans with Parlux Fragrances. I contacted Parlux to ask about accessory products like aftershave balm, etc. I got referred to someone else and they never got back to me, even after several follow-ups. However, there was one interesting phrase in the response I got (from the senior sales manager at Parlux) that I'll share with you here and you can make of it what you will: "we did recently have a limited distribution of the Nicole Miller men's original fragrance."
    Hmmm. Interesting. Well, for whatever reason I suppose it's nice that they did go back and rerelease it. So much has been said about it over the years on Basenotes, and I always wanted to see what people were talking about.

It's pretty unique stuff. The concept might outstretch the quality a little, but overall I find it worth having in my collection and wearing. I'm glad I didn't have to fork out a ton of money for a bottle--I got it for about $30. In a time of 80's nostalgia, there are a few fragrances that reflect the 90's, and this one does give me happy memories of that decade (a decade which overall, I didn't like that much).

To answer your question evogel, I have no longevity problems from this one-- though I find most scents to have suitable sillage and longevity on me. I previously mentioned that I thought the drydown was lacking, but the more I sample it, the more I get a nice leather finish. This is a tart, boozy scent with candy overtones-- like Comme des Garçons Sequoia or Baldessarini Ambre. I think this scent would be excellent in the Fall when the leaves start to change.

Blog Entries

i've tried this on several occasions, and i always find it to smell like one of those 80s 'powerhouse' scents....with a boozy, spicy, powdery central note.

i don't particularly like it though....it annoys me....not sure why, but something about this scent is very unappealing to my nose

Well I tracked this down when it was very expensive and was hard to find. Unfortunately this stuff didn't work very well for me and it had this annoying 'petrol' note in it that was obviously not too pleasing for my nose.
    I find Minotaure in the same league and find it much more pleasing.

gupts

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    i don't particularly like it though....it annoys me....not sure why, but something about this scent is very unappealing to my nose
    It might be the petrol note, as gupts mentions - maybe even subconciously. I actually like that particular note, oddly.

Glad you like it Indie. I enjoyed your review and agree with much of it. I can't get enough of this juice. It's rich, dark (but not too dark), warm, and the sweetness adds a playfulness to it IMO.

I think I once read online what the bottle & packaging design is all about but I can't remember now what or where.