Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default New Frédéric Malle Dans Tes Bras Notes & Info

Got the skinny on Dans Tes Bras today. Maurice Roucel (also behind Musc Ravageur) has built it on the following notes: Bergamot, clove, violet, jasmine; Sandalwood, patchouli, incense, cashmeran; Heliotrope, white musk.

This one, in contrast to Musc Ravageur ("an extroverted sensuousness"), tries to "illustrate the scent of intimacy, ...something that we'd want to keep forever, an understated perfume, a quiet addiction."

The keystone of the new fragrance will be the cashmeran (a musky, woody, resiny accord), which is usually considered a supporting note to be used sparingly. There is talk of "overdosing" as a strategy for this perfume. Sandalwood, musk, and patchouli also figure prominently in this. The aim is to "capture the deep and lasting odor of warm skin." To capture the "salty hints and rich, intimate complex overtones" of skin, there is a blend of salicylates and incense. The whole is "softened and loosened" with a bit of heliotrope. On adjusting the balance of the rough formula, Roucel decided to add a violet accord for color and "a more harmonious diffusion."

The feeling was that all the final touches continued to convey "the quiet yet addictive sensuality of bare skin at its most sublime." Thence the name Dans Tes Bras, "In your Arms."

Oh, and it's expected to be retailing in October.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 25th July 2008 at 12:32 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: New Frédéric Malle Dans Tes Bras Notes & Info

I love Maurice. I love Musc Ravageur. I love patchouli (and pretty much the rest of those notes). I love getting excited about a release.
    I'll take one, please.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

AH! the smell of skin... of warm skin with a hint of sweat and blushing cheeks... I better stop. I should keep this forum PG13.
    Sounds very interesting... thanks JaimeB.
    Dans Tes Bras. I wonder

Amazing, I don't think I object to any one of those notes... This one sounds fantastic on paper, but we'll have to wait for a verdict in October. I might have to schedule a visit to the city then...

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post

The feeling was that all the final touches continued to convey "the quiet yet addictive sensuality of bare skin at its most sublime."
    Wow! Even if I didn't like the proposed notes (I do, though) I would be intrigued by the "bare skin" description.

Hmmm...if there's no bare skin handy, now I can buy it in a bottle.

JaimeB, I'm digg'n the new avatar pic, you party animal! Is that flower behind your ear, or growing from the bush behind your head? Party on!
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Wow! Even if I didn't like the proposed notes (I do, though) I would be intrigued by the "bare skin" description.

Hmmm...if there's no bare skin handy, now I can buy it in a bottle.

JaimeB, I'm digg'n the new avatar pic, you party animal! Is that flower behind your ear, or growing from the bush behind your head? Party on!
    That pic was taken in Rarotonga in the Cook Islands in 2006 while we were cruising there and in the Society Islands around Tahiti. The culture in the Cooks is Island Maori, similar to New Zealand Maori culture. What you don't see in the pic is a stone carving I was standing next to, of a face with the Maori wero gesture — the tongue extended in greeting — kind of fierce, but you're welcomed if you pick up the challenge. I was so stoked by the carving I couldn't help but get into the spirit of the thing. That's me all over, throwing myself into the thick of the party. You got that right. And yes, that is a tiare maori flower behind my right ear (meaning I'm spoken for in the flower-wearing conventions of the Cook Islands).

Last edited by JaimeB; 25th July 2008 at 06:44 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Thank you for the info, Jaime.

I must say, though, that I am not particularly excited about a fragrance which is basically meant to smell like, well, any of us really ! ;-)

Yet over time good surprises have tended to come by the ton from Frédéric Malle for me, so who knows?...

Oooh ! I am now a super member ! How cool is that ! ^^

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manderley View Post
    Oooh ! I am now a super member ! How cool is that ! ^^
    Trčs cool!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Just musing...but, if a couple from the Maori culture should split up--are they considered de-flowered?

Back to topic: Upon reviewing the notes a 2nd time, I hope the heliotrope is tamer than that of Jaipur EdP. The flower overload in Jaipur can be a bit much for me. (I still wear it though!)
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossanova_boy View Post
    Just musing...but, if a couple from the Maori culture should split up--are they considered de-flowered?

Back to topic: Upon reviewing the notes a 2nd time, I hope the heliotrope is tamer than that of Jaipur EdP. The flower overload in Jaipur can be a bit much for me. (I still wear it though!)
    The literature I saw referred to "a few drops of heliotrope" as part of the refining and adjustment of the final product; with luck it'll just be a hint of almonds and cherry pie...

Mmmm... About the flower behind the ear: if you're no longer partnered, you just move the flower to the left ear; so no, not so much de-flowered as re-flowered, except maybe with respect to your ex... What's confusing is that in Tahiti, it's the opposite ear for your status — it makes traveling between Tahiti and the Cook Islands interesting, and perhaps challenging, too.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Banned

This will be available at the 3 Paris shops in the first part of September. Around $250 for the 100ml ~ $170 for 75ml.

Superbe Jaime!
    thanks for the precious info. Dans tes bras sounds something I might love as I love musk ravageur. I look forward to testing it this fall then

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

According to what I saw, the 50 ml. will be $150, the 100 ml., $250 in the U. S., but these things can change between now and October.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Thanks, Jaime. I can't wait to try this. I'm hoping it's not too over the top musky, though. I love all the other notes.
    I bought 3 Frederic Malles from Alfonso at Barneys when I was in San Francisco last month. I though I'd see you! Anyway, I'm hoping I can control myself and not buy another until I try this one!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisewater View Post
    Thanks, Jaime. I can't wait to try this. I'm hoping it's not too over the top musky, though. I love all the other notes.
    I bought 3 Frederic Malles from Alfonso at Barneys when I was in San Francisco last month. I though I'd see you! Anyway, I'm hoping I can control myself and not buy another until I try this one!
    Sorry I missed you there. Alfonso is a peach, isn't he? Are you up SF way often? Feel free to PM me next time you're planning a trip up. Ah, yes, self-control with respect to scent shopping! Don't even talk to me about it... It's just too depressing!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Yes indeed, Alfonso is a peach! I was thoroughly impressed and wanted to talk with him all day.
    Thanks again, Jaime; I will be in touch before my next trip to San Francisco. I'd love to have a fragrance buddy to play with in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    AH! the smell of skin... of warm skin with a hint of sweat and blushing cheeks... I better stop. I should keep this forum PG13.
    Sounds very interesting... thanks JaimeB.
    Dans Tes Bras. I wonder
    What do I wonder about?

Honestly I would like this one to be a feminine scent. Maurice Roucel already created a scent which smells like a groin. I would like to see a scent that smells like a cleavage.
    Last edited by irish; 28th July 2008 at 09:53 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    What do I wonder about?

Honestly I would like this one to be a feminine scent. Maurice Roucel already created a scent which smells like a groin. I would like to see a scent that smells like a cleavage.
    It's your call. Somehow I doubt it will be that specific; maybe more like generic skin — maybe even unisex skin, if marketing has anything to do with it!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

smelled Dans Tes Bras today

It's contemporary aesthetics and I don't understand it.
    Conclusion - synthetic skin scent.
    Last edited by DreamerII; 25th September 2008 at 09:25 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

And the Maori men are just plain delicious!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

I smelled this the other day as well. It's very nice, more restrained as opposed to MR. Dans Tes Bras definately smells unisex to me and I wasn't able to distinguish any single notes. Although not challanging I don't think it's as accessable (to the mainstream) as MR.

JaimeB have you smelled this yet?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

lled this the other day as well. It's very nice, more restrained as opposed to MR. Dans Tes Bras definately smells unisex to me and I wasn't able to distinguish any single notes. Although not challanging I don't think it's as accessable (to the mainstream) as MR.

JaimeB have you smelled this yet?[/quote]
    Not yet. I have to go into Barneys and see if they have it in. I hope to get a sniff tomorrow if it's there. I'll report when I have something to tell.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 19th December 2008 at 09:35 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

I wrote this review in my blog recently...

"One of my perfumery classmates gave me a sample of this fragrance in class, and I sprayed it on several tester strips to let the two other classmates smell it. I smelled my strip and gagged (wait, wait, read on!). I smelled the fragrance but there was something really nasty that totally did not work. Everyone else said it was an okay scent. I took the tester strip of my classmate and smelled it, and it was totally a different fragrance! So after dissecting the situation, it turned out that I had a used, polluted tester strip. Someone had dipped this one in I don’t know where (castoreum????) and I guess somehow put it back into the strip container.

So I resprayed the fragrance onto a new strip and I thought “Ahh, much better!” Tick, tick tick, my nose and brain began instantly dissecting the fragrance… violet leaf absolute (or/plus some nonadieno(a)l a family of cucumbery raw materials), pink pepper (I’m 80% sure!), cloves, an accord of violets (ionones), including a IFRA regulated violet raw material (MOC or MHC) used to create Fahrenheit, frankincense, cashmeran (an ambery, “cashmere woods” raw material) and so on. Still, there was another natural on the top that disturbs me a little but creates this wierd, dirty effect to the fragrance. Olfaction-wise, I have no idea what it is.

As for the scent, it is not too bad. Nontheless, I applaud Roucel’s use of raw materials that changes the textures and diffusion of the scent. For this, it was easier for me to dissect. I mentioned before that I smell “visually”… when I smelled it, I smelled the quick explosion of spiciness that pricks the nose from the pink berries, which creates a bridge to the spicy frankincense. I smelled the green, oily facets that indicate violet leaves, cucumber notes, and that sticky aspect from cloves. The MOC/MHC note is metallic and seeps out from the backdrop of the violets. Spicy, ambery, violets. 8/10."

Source: http://jaimeleparfum.wordpress.com/2...bras-creation/
    Last edited by scentophile; 26th September 2008 at 07:43 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I finally got to Barneys today and got a chance to take a whiff of Maurice Roucel's new baby Dans Tes Bras. Unfortunately, they had no tester, so all I could smell was a card that had been sprayed a couple of days ago by the FM rep.

What I got from the card was very pleasant, mostly a faint suede-like scent with lots of cashmeran. Of course, there's no telling what it's like on skin. The SA told me that all the sales staff had been sprayed with it, and that it was definitely a warm scent that evoked skin. He said it had good projection and longevity. Of course, even though he's a real nice guy, it's his job to sell this, so I have to take what he says with the proverbial grain of salt.

They will have it in on November 1 for the public, but he hinted that October 30 might be a time to drop by for a preview.

I promised to post, so there it is. More later.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 28th September 2008 at 12:36 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Wow. The Barneys in NY doesn't even have used tester strips! TPC does have decants, though, and this impatient musk lover just ordered.

Basenotes Institution

I wore it Friday, from a carded manufacturer sample (that a little BN angel sent me).

I will try to wear it again next week, so I can post a mini review of it.

Quick summary: Salt, violets, dirt and something human (almost fatty smelling). A complex, fascinating puzzle of a fragrance. Roucel intrigues me again.

I know I'm not going to like it but I am definitely curious about it...

The best parfum name.

My Wife and I were in Barney's Las Vegas last week and each of us gave ourselves 3 sprays. We both thought this was one of the most disgusting fragances we've ever experienced. It just smelled awful. Too bad I'm such a Maurice Roucel fan.

Do not go close to your wrist for sniffing. From a distance it smells not too bad for me.

Basenotes Institution

Default Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle - a review

One of the reasons why I sample so many fragrances, is that ever so often I come upon a fragrance that smells like nothing I’ve ever smelled before. Even more rare are those moments where not only is the smell new, but the overall effect (diffusion, wearability, experience) of the fragrance is brand new also. This happened with Dans Tes Bras – the new scent from Frederic Malle.

DTB is extremely hard to describe. It’s floral, salty, slightly synthetic (aldehydic) and fleshy.

Here’s where I think Maurice Roucel (the nose who created DTB) and Frederic Malle were going with this scent: We are tired of all of the new musk prominent scents in the niche market now. We’ve done musk with Musc Ravageur. We want to do something different – we want to capture the smell of a person, not their animalic properties (or indolic emanations) but their personal smell. But we also don’t want it to smell like a CB I Hate Perfume or Demeter scent – a novelty scent. It should be sophisticated, and let’s throw in a safe floral to make it easier for people to ‘get’. Violets!

I like violet notes, but this violet note is almost chemically treated in a way that it radiates a fuzziness to it. Nothing close to the musky, civet-heavy barbershop vibe of Midnight Violet by Ava Luxe – or the sharp, pungent violet leaf notes in Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene and Narciso Rodriguez for Him. Rather the violet emanates like a gas behind a wall of synthetic diffused notes. Have you ever walked into a bathroom where someone has sprayed hairspray just a second before you walked into the room – and the air seems charged with ions and almost has a taste that hits the back of your throat? Well, DTB smells like that. Not the smell of hairspray (for that note, see Cuir de Russie by Chanel). But instead the smell of air, that has had hairspray diffused in it. With violets.

As it warms on my skin, DTB gets slightly more tangy. I think an online review I read mentioned ‘a field of mushrooms’. This description is close but I think it reminds me of the smell of an algae encrusted fountain, in a garden. Perhaps chlorophyll or something akin to mildew, yet dry (not watery or aquatic). Then, the strange accord recedes a bit on my skin and combines with my own skin smell and gives off a blindingly accurate recreation of salty, human skin. Fascinating!

I used to work cutting grass, as a summer job, during my high school years (I hated it!). In Miami, all landscaping jobs can be grueling due to the sunny, rainy and humid weather. I remember the smell of my clothes throughout the day while working in the hot sun, saturated with sweat and then drying in the work van on the way to the next job. Only to become saturated with sweat all over again, when we started the next job. Not the smell of sour body odor - but very much a sweaty body, dried by the sun.

The entire duration of the scent is close to the skin, with extremely below average sillage - yet average longevity. When the scent disappears from the surface of my skin, all I could smell was whiffs of the Cashmeran or white musk (I can’t figure out which one it is, since some musks I can’t smell…), with all of the other notes completely gone.

It’s impossible to compare this scent to any other scent on the market. However, lovers of the perfumer Geza Schon and his stripped down fragrances (Escentric 01 and Molecule 01 by Escentric Molecules; gs02 by Biehl) or Christopher Brosius’ strange accords (Chanterelle Mushroom accord by CB I Hate Perfume or Cumming by Alan Cumming) should definitely try DTB because I think it was created with the same sense of fragrant 'vagueness'.

Perhaps the only drawback for many will be finding a time/place to wear Dans Tes Bras. To a Halloween party? A Flaming Lips concert? To the Burning Man Festival?

Me? It smells so wonderfully innovative, I plan on getting a full bottle (or atleast one of those travel size bottles) and wearing it whenever I damn well please.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd October 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Default Re: Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle - a review

Can't wait to try this...as far as I'm concerned, the weirder the better. Sad that it's the only way to pique my interest these days, but true nevertheless.

Excellent review, Mike!

very thoughtful & imaginitive review Mike, Thnx!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Can't wait to try this...as far as I'm concerned, the weirder the better. Sad that it's the only way to pique my interest these days, but true nevertheless.
    LOL

I was thinking something similar to this, when writing my review.

Poor Serge Lutens gets scolded so much here on BN (and elsewhere on the net) by coming up with new scents that recycle his familiar accords. When a fragrance house does the complete opposite it's exhilarating isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    hahaha see the quote next to my picture... I totally agree. I simply can't wait to try this.

Thank you mikeperez23 for such a wonderful review: you must post to the review section! I think you've described it perfectly. I was so pleased to see you post to the SOTD thread wearing this a few days ago, quietly curious about your thoughts, and am glad to see your review here! Yes, the hairspray fuzzy vibe is definitely there, kind of hovering over your skin, stinging the nostrils. I've found the longevity to be somewhat average, and I agree with you about the below-average sillage. I feel it ought to be applied only to skin for it to evolve: It took a good hour to evolve nicely on my skin. On clothing there was something strange and urine-like (!! not describing that well--help me here...) You've voiced what I could not; such an awesome job. I'm sure I've never experienced anything quite like it. I haven't decided whether I actually like it or not.

One funny thing, though; why did Maurice Roucel/Frederic Malle delineate this as a feminine fragrance? The SA at the Barney's I went to said he could only see it as a feminine scent as well, and I SO TOTALLY disagree. It just feels like a skin scent, and not particularly feminine. I was very curious to see what guys here had to say on that subject.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Futami View Post
    Excellent review, Mike!
    Well I have you to thank Futami - since you're the one who gifted me the sample that I used to write this review. Much appreciated!

Brilliant review as always, Mike

This one's going straight to my "to sample" list.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    very thoughtful & imaginitive review Mike, Thnx!
    Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Brilliant review as always, Mike
    Much appreciated!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd October 2008 at 03:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Perhaps the only drawback for many will be finding a time/place to wear Dans Tes Bras. To a Halloween party? A Flaming Lips concert? To the Burning Man Festival?
    The point that you raise here, is the most important, make it or break it, factor for me. If a fragrance isn't ready to go, then I'm not sure if it really fits into a modern wardrobe.

Thanks for the top notch review Mike. I enjoyed reading it very much.

DTB is at the top of my next decant to buy list. Unfortunately, i don't have the money at the moment.
    Last edited by ajmc; 23rd October 2008 at 05:11 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    Thank you mikeperez23 for such a wonderful review: you must post to the review section! I think you've described it perfectly. I was so pleased to see you post to the SOTD thread wearing this a few days ago, quietly curious about your thoughts, and am glad to see your review here! Yes, the hairspray fuzzy vibe is definitely there, kind of hovering over your skin, stinging the nostrils. I've found the longevity to be somewhat average, and I agree with you about the below-average sillage. I feel it ought to be applied only to skin for it to evolve: It took a good hour to evolve nicely on my skin. On clothing there was something strange and urine-like (!! not describing that well--help me here...) You've voiced what I could not; such an awesome job. I'm sure I've never experienced anything quite like it. I haven't decided whether I actually like it or not.

One funny thing, though; why did Maurice Roucel/Frederic Malle delineate this as a feminine fragrance? The SA at the Barney's I went to said he could only see it as a feminine scent as well, and I SO TOTALLY disagree. It just feels like a skin scent, and not particularly feminine. I was very curious to see what guys here had to say on that subject.
    Thanks lushsoup. I hadn't sprayed DTB on clothes, thanks for the tip. The warmth of skin probably keeps the 'urine' note more musk-ish and skin scented, whereas on cloth/fabric all you smell is the dry down. I'm guessing...

No, there is nothing that smells like this juice. I could easily see the same ghostly vague effect used with other florals to a dramatic effect. Like iris. Or rose. I'd love to smell these florals 'treated' in the same way that violets are in DTB.

When you say Frederic Malle delineated this as a feminine fragrance, what does this mean? I thought all Frederic Malle scents were marketed (by Malle) as unisex scents. Did this change with DTB?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd October 2008 at 05:23 AM.

Its decent but I was mildly disappointed. The violet note isn't the greatest (hairspray? Try Roucels' Guerlain Insolence for a similar poorly executed violet note), but I do like the floral mushroomy accord (powdery demure iris + a salty herbal note due to the salicylates); also the cashmeran loaded base is disappointing. I can see why Malle was gushing more about Creeds' Love in Black than his latest .. Love in Blacks radiant violet, lush buttery iris and high quality cedar perform a more competent violet-iris act.
    -

Thanks lushsoup. I hadn't sprayed DTB on clothes, thanks for the tip. The warmth of skin probably keeps the 'urine' note more musk-ish and skin scented, whereas on cloth/fabric all you smell is the dry down. I'm guessing...

No, there is nothing that smells like this juice. I could easily see the same ghostly vague effect used with other florals to a dramatic effect. Like iris. Or rose. I'd love to smell these florals 'treated' in the same way that violets are in DTB.

When you say Frederic Malle delineated this as a feminine fragrance, what does this mean? I thought all Frederic Malle scents were marketed (by Malle) as unisex scents. Did this change with DTB?
    You know what, I may be wrong. I realize I was basing my comment on Basenote's delineation with the female symbol in the directory, and the remark made by the SA at Barney's, and I think I read it elsewhere but I cannot be sure where. I don't have it from the horse's mouth in reality, and I also thought FM's were not marketed to either sex. So a big NEVERMIND, and we probably should make a symbol change in the directory section to unisex.

First, great review..

Second, this is marketed at Barneys as a feminine scent, and I assume they didn't make this decision all by themselves. I'm glad to hear it's not very feminine, and I'm definitely curious to try.

Finally - and this is odd - DTB was for sale on Barney's website as of about two weeks ago, but it is no longer there. I wonder if they've decided to make this an in-store item only (or if they're out of the stock put aside for online orders).

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The point that you raise here, is the most important, make it or break it, factor for me. If a fragrance isn't ready to go, then I'm not sure if it really fits into a modern wardrobe.
    I absolutely agree; couldn't have said it better.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Yes, this one is right smack in the middle of unisex IMO.

Great review! I can't honestly say it's something that's up my alley - I'm not in the market for low-sillage skin scent - but it's good to here FM is keeping things interesting.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thenmarcher View Post
    I absolutely agree; couldn't have said it better.

TNMA
    Atleast a fourth of my wardrobe is filled with fragrances that are not 'easy' to wear in public.

I happen to spend a lot of time alone (or at home) and when I am, this is when I'm wearing these types of scents. Just for my enjoyment.

Thanks for the thoughtful review, Mike. I have sampled from decant, sampled from Barney's counter, and most definitely will buy. I find it a comfortable skin scent, with a fluttering loveliness to it. Definitely unisex.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Thanks for the top notch review Mike. I enjoyed reading it very much.

DTB is at the top of my next decant to buy list. Unfortunately, i don't have the money at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    First, great review..

Second, this is marketed at Barneys as a feminine scent, and I assume they didn't make this decision all by themselves. I'm glad to hear it's not very feminine, and I'm definitely curious to try.

Finally - and this is odd - DTB was for sale on Barney's website as of about two weeks ago, but it is no longer there. I wonder if they've decided to make this an in-store item only (or if they're out of the stock put aside for online orders).
    You're welcome guys.

bbBD - Not sure why Barneys is marketing it that way, it's just silly. I bet that Frederic Malle has no idea of this, since from what I know about the company it's never specified the genders of their scents, even the impossibly girly Lipstick Rose and Iris Poudre. And yes, I also noticed it's not on their site either. Maybe Malle gave the online exclusive to someone else??

Atleast a fourth of my wardrobe is filled with fragrances that are not 'easy' to wear in public.
    I happen to spend a lot of time alone (or at home) and when I am, this is when I'm wearing these types of scents. Just for my enjoyment.
    Mike, you're turning into Proust!

I'm not a person who would try this but I have to say Mike that I love reading your reviews. It literally takes you into actually wearing it and is so descriptive. Thanks
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Its decent but I was mildly disappointed. The violet note isn't the greatest (hairspray? Try Roucels' Guerlain Insolence for a similar poorly executed violet note), but I do like the floral mushroomy accord (powdery demure iris + a salty herbal note due to the salicylates); also the cashmeran loaded base is disappointing. I can see why Malle was gushing more about Creeds' Love in Black than his latest .. Love in Blacks radiant violet, lush buttery iris and high quality cedar perform a more competent violet-iris act.
    I was wondering what you thought of DTB zztopp, since you mentioned you were looking forward to the mushroom accord. However I get no iris from DTB and think it has much less to do with Love in Black than perhaps...Stephen Jones by Comme des Garcons. I havent smelled the CdG, but the marketing of it, '...a violet hit by a meteorite...' and some Basenoters impressions of it (Ruggles said it's chock full of aldehydes) sound a little like DTB. Or maybe Insolence that you mentioned (another, that I have not smelled)?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 23rd October 2008 at 08:19 PM.

Just tried this at Barneys yesterday. I think I have to give it another try. The "mushroomy" note smelled like steamed milk to me. I had a similar reaction ... I wasn't sure where/when you could where this.
    On the other hand, I sampled Bois d'Orage, which was great and I'm looking forward to getting.

Stephen Jones[/B] by Comme des Garcons. I havent smelled the CdG, but the marketing of it, '...a violet hit by a meteorite...' and some Basenoters impressions of it (Ruggles said it's chock full of aldehydes) sound a little like DTB. Or maybe Insolence that you mentioned (another, that I have not smelled)?
    Insolence opens amazingly loud and cacophonous and then turns into a riff on L'Heure Bleue, as Turin points out in The Guide. Stephen Jones is big, but not shrill. There seems to be a real concerted effort by designer fragrance houses to get away from unisex. If Dan's Bra is unisex, I'd have to say it doesn't relate to these two.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 24th October 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Great review! I can't honestly say it's something that's up my alley - I'm not in the market for low-sillage skin scent - but it's good to here FM is keeping things interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Thanks for the thoughtful review, Mike. I have sampled from decant, sampled from Barney's counter, and most definitely will buy. I find it a comfortable skin scent, with a fluttering loveliness to it. Definitely unisex.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I'm not a person who would try this but I have to say Mike that I love reading your reviews. It literally takes you into actually wearing it and is so descriptive. Thanks
    Glad you all enjoyed it. It's easy to get inspired by flat out unique and interesting scents.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Excellent description of course! Thank you :-)

I think Roucel took that hairspray accord from Insolence (which I like personally) along with the leafy, earthy aspects of the violets and run with it and what intresting results he came up with!
    I don't think this will be as popular as Musc Ravageur (which is not really musky, but ambery to me) in the line, but honestly? It's much more intriguing.