Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thumbs up Re: Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle - a review

I love DANS TES BRAS, on me it is amazing, absolutely amazing !
    I have recieved a bottle as gift from the House of Frederic Malle...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Default Re: Dans Tes Bras by Frederic Malle - a review

I wanted to like Dans Tes Bras because I respect Maurice Roucel's work. I just found it so repulsive I had to wash it off. It just plain stinks to my nose.

To me it's mostly black pepper. The sales assistant was trying to convince me it was one I must have because it's part of a set with musc ravageur, but I was quite happy to extricate myself from les bras never to return... the opposite of seductive seemed this scent.

Default From hate - to love: Dans Tes Bras

First impressions were negative. I thought that it is very synthetic, sparkling and weird.
    But later on when I tried it on the skin I started to like Dans Tes Bras.
    I have never smelled such a naturally smelling saltines which is not sour. In minerally saltines of Eau de Marveilles or vetiverish saltines of Sel de Vetiver I feel some gap between a scent and skin.
    In Dans Tes Bras the gap fades: it's a scent of skin, of salty skin.

p.s. by the way am I hallucinating or what, but I feel Roucel's signature here. Some echoes from Guerlain's L'Instant
    Last edited by DreamerII; 4th March 2009 at 05:46 PM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    One can not prove the beauty, but show it. You see it or you don't.

Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) Guerlain Habit Rouge 5) TF Noir de Noir \\ Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: From hate - to love: Dans Tes Bras

I have worn it a few times today for the first time in a large application (thanks mp!) and it just reconfirmed my impressions from those tiny 1ml samples. To me all these references to super mario-mushroom patches and the supposed intellectual superiority of its composition are way overblown. Dan Tes Bras smells like salty ozonic violets (hairspray opening) with generic white musk and little evolution. Thankfully, the clove does its part in making sure the heart accord doesnt get too salty. I detect a high dose of synthetic materials operating within - the juice literally oozes robot innard liquids. This is not going to impress anyone looking for high-definition natural smelling ingredients. I will give it some more time but so far its the least impressive of the modern violet/violet+iris scents (stephen jones, love in black, ava luxe midnight violet).
    Last edited by zztopp; 6th March 2009 at 12:23 AM.
    -

The drydown is quite magnificent, it smells like female skin affter a hot bath, a little sweat, clean skin, and feminine essence, quite simply, lovely. The opening...sweet sweaty mushrooms aren't really sexy.

I really love Dans tes bras, even it's so expensive. Dtb is not some kinds of scents that "hit" you right in the face. It just stays very close on your skin, in a very long time, just like your second skin, clean, pure, dry, fresh, and quite "human".

I've been sampling Dans Tes Bras (thanks Mike P!) and I'm really baffled by it. One thing that I've noticed is sometimes vanilla notes (heliotrope in this case) aren't integrated into a composition tightly, and you don't notice them "on the inhale". You notice the heliotrope only when you exhale. Very strange. I breathe in and get a strange violet, musty delicate scent. Then as I exhale, I practically taste Oreo cookies. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I breathe in and get a strange violet, musty delicate scent. Then as I exhale, I practically taste Oreo cookies. Weird.
    What you are probably getting is a huge dollop of woody cashmeran, slightly sweet heliotrope and white musk = oreo cookies (albeit slightly salted).
    -

Default Re: New Frédéric Malle Dans Tes Bras Notes & Info

Like it but not sure if I love it. Any one here can encourage me to buy this and that I will wear this frequently enough (you guys have a change of heart)?

I have this and like it quite a bit as I do all of his offerings.

How do you rate projection, longevity between other FM?
    Projection like vetiver extraordinaire / Hiver?

Seasons and application?

More a mood scent?

Really exited for this one, I really like the notes. Thanks for sharing

Just thought I'd throw my opinion in here, even though the thread is pretty old now.

To the OP, Mike! I'm so glad you wrote such a long and detailed account of your experience and interest in Dans tes Bras. To me, this is one of the best fragrances on the planet. At times, it's challenging, but otherwise it's so unique and magnetic that it could never be boring.

I won't go into the notes, because others have described them in previous posts, but the overall vibe is the best part. At times it smells like a hippy, other times like a female pirate at sea, and then sometimes even like nag champa incense or your mother's hands after doing the dishes with palmolive dish soap. Although it's a weird fragrance, it's also comforting and there are no "bad notes" to turn you off like Secretions Magnifiques by ELDO. Dans tes Bras has all these wonderful associations for me, and it lasts super long with moderate sillage.

I suggest this scent for anyone looking for something unique that pushes the envelope. Maurice Roucel truly is one of the most innovative perfumers on the scene right now, and Dans tes Bras is a perfect example of where perfumery should go - in a new direction. I suppose it's only natural that it's sometimes regarded as a love or hate kind of fragrance. If you wore Dans tes Bras with confidence though, no one would turn their nose.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks L'Aventurier.

Wow, it looks like my seperate thread got merged with Jaime's thread. I forgot about this one...I still do not own a bottle but when I was at Barney's (at the BN Vegas meetup) I doused myself with DTB, it's so wonderfully strange.
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I sampled Dans Tes Bras yesterday on my skin, and can still smell it today on my shirt. Just few notes:

- it really is very unique, smells very niche and level above most designer scents as far as quality of ingredients go
    - top notes are not very pleasant and I agree that it smells kinda like mushrooms
    - middle notes and basenotes to me smells like some kind of expensive soap or clothes after washing
    - I strongly prefer basenotes to middlenotes which I prefer to top notes
    - longevity is 12 hours, sillage just average
    - most similiar but still far from it designer scent would be Prada Infusion D Homme (Prada smelling more soapy and sweet)
    - my girlfriends reaction was: "Not bad but you have much better and interesting fragrances"
    - its intriguing smell and I am still smelling my wrist but I dont see myself paying its price tag (right now I would pay maybe 40 euros per 50ml)

After first wearing I'd give it 3.5/5 overall, and 4.5/5 for originality. I will keep trying later, so maybe I will change my mind.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Millesime Imperial

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. Dior Homme
    2. Eau Des Baux
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme

Basenotes Institution

Wearing this today, and I just had to shout out and say how much I'm enjoying it. This scent needs more hype.

Today it smells less like aldehydes and mushrooms and more floral, specifically the heliotrope and the violet along with that velvety Cashmeran bubble of scent. Such a fun scent & yet very simple and not as headache-inducing as some of those odd, synthetic CdG's.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Overlooked gem indeed!

Love the floor of the moist forest & mushrooms with something rotting faraway.
    for swap/sale:

I love this one too - just stocked up in advance of the Estee Lauder buyout, just in case. I love the floral, woody, earthy notes in this.

Basenotes Institution

Today, I smelled the similarity to Stephen Jones, because of the violet and the aldehydes. I am not that familiar with Insolence.

-- Eckhart Tolle

The past two years have featured a deepening love for the Malle line, yet, I've just not been able to warm to this one. It's the fungus note. It oppresses me, even though, all in all, it's quite a delicate scent.

Great fragrance . I just got a sample from Barneys in Las Vegas after a recent visit. I am buying a full bottle for sure . I agree that the top notes are weird though , but the dry down is amazing . My wife commented that I smell good the three times I wore it so far. That is good enough for me to buy it
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- 34 st Germaine Boulevard by Diptyque
    3- Bleecker Street by Bond 9
    4- Acqua Di Parma Oud
    5- Clive Christian #1
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Acqua Di Parmal Colonia Intensa
    8- Guerlain Derby
    9- MFK lumiere Noir
    10- Dans Tes Bras

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The past two years have featured a deepening love for the Malle line, yet, I've just not been able to warm to this one. It's the fungus note. It oppresses me, even though, all in all, it's quite a delicate scent.
    Try spritzing it on and then getting really busy.
    The diluted experience may let you warm up to it.

Kinda like dipping bread in olive oil as opposed to having a shot of OO (yeah people do that - its healthy).
    for swap/sale:

I owned DTB a while back and eventualy sold it. I found it too dry and heartless.
    Currently wearing: Gentlemen Only by Givenchy