Code of Conduct

Question Anyone help w/info on Shalimar parfum I have?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me with any information on the bottle of Shalimar I have. It was a gift a few years back (maybe 6 years ago?). I popped the top open once, dabbed, I scent didn't agree with me. The gift'er thought I may like it since I was a devout Opium user. Anyhow, I tucked it in a closet and just came across it again. I thought it a shame it wasn't being used, thinking if I didn't keep it for it's beautiful bottle, that I might list it on Ebay. When I searched for Shalimar, I didn't see the type of bottle I have.
    It's shape is the same classic deco but the stopper is clear, not blue and in gold says 'Guerlain Paris'. There is no gold rope tassel around it's neck (It didn't come with one), and the words 'SHALIMAR EAU DE PARFUM' are in gold in the indented design on middle of bottle, but it isn't a gold foil sticker like I've seen, instead the gold lettering seems applied directly on the bottle. The bottom of the bottle has a clear sticker which reads ' 30 ml 1 FL OZ 68, CHAMPS-ELYSEES 75008 PARIS MADE IN FRANCE DT232'.
    I can see under the sticker without removing it, in opaque it says 'GUERLAIN BOTTLE MADE IN FRANCE'.
    It's box is dark blue velveteen, SHALIMAR EAU DE PARFUM, GUERLAIN PARIS 30 ml e 1 FL OZ.
    The box's bottom flap reads in small gold caps: Ingredients: alcohol parfum aqua/Contains: alcohol fragrance water
    Ce produit ne peut etre vendu que par le depositaries agrees par la societe guerlain conformement a ses conditions generales de ventes. Copyright Guerlain 1998 68, Champs-Elysees 75008 Paris Made In France.
    Underneath that is a gold rectangle with lightly embossed 'DT232'. Lastly a gold arrow in a circle at bottom right.
    The box isn't a box, within a box. Inside is a dark blue cardboard insert that holds the bottle.
    I would appreciate any info. I remember coming here years ago in search of help regarding a scent and everyone was extremely knowledegable and friendly. Thank you, in advance. I just saw I can attach a photo, and have attached two. Thank you again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anyone help w/info on Shalimar parfum I have?

I would ask our fellow Basenotes member "Mr. Guerlain".
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Smile Re: Anyone help w/info on Shalimar parfum I have?

Thank you for the response! How would I find this person? Sorry, but I already became 'lost' in here *lol*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I'll drop him a note. Hopefully he won't mind the intrusion.

Thank you again for the advice. I dropped Mr. Guerlain a note yesterday. In the meantime, would anyone else have a clue about my Shalimar? Maybe a Guerlain club of sorts, within the site?
    I'll browse around. Have a great day.
    Also, I have no clue..why my join date says 1969 *lol*.
    Last edited by PetraB; 22nd July 2008 at 05:40 PM.

He - how flattered I am that you've been looking for me! I'm quite sure you've got a special edition of the Eau de Parfum concentration that was available for a short period. It's the normal Eau de Parfum composition, but the bottle is special because it's totally transparent, even with no paper label - opposite the newer Shalimar Black where everything is entirely dark blue and black. The sealing cord is only used for extraits, that's why your bottle doesn't have any cord. It's worth to treasure your transparent bottle as it's a limited edition. I found a pic from eBay:

I was told you were the 'go to' person for Guerlain, they were correct! Thank you! I had thought..maybe..I was given a 'fake', since my Google results didn't come up with anything like my bottle. But, you, found it After visiting your site, I decided to keep my pretty bottle of Shalimar, even if I don't wear it. You have a wonderful site, so much information..and inspiration. I would love to own another Guerlain creation and actually wear it. What would you suggest, Mr. Guerlain? The Shalimar, is sadly out. Opium, I feel, was made for me. I've been wearing it for years. I wouldn't mind using and enjoying other scents, as long as they work on me. I have bottles of Cartier Must and Panthere, sadly only as vanity decorations. Didn't work on me. The Guerlain's you have on your site look divine, any suggestions? Thank you again!

Petra

Petra - I'm really glad I made you keep your transparent Shalimar-treasure! Well, it's actually quite hard for me to imagine exactly what scents you like. I know Opium, and I guess Guerlain's closest one to Opium is Samsara - although I personally don't like Samsara that much. As a true Shalimar-aficionado I'm not sure what to suggest. But it seems that you prefer more modern scents. So... Samsara could be it.

Quote Originally Posted by PetraB View Post
    I would love to own another Guerlain creation and actually wear it. What would you suggest, Mr. Guerlain? The Shalimar, is sadly out. Opium, I feel, was made for me. I've been wearing it for years. I wouldn't mind using and enjoying other scents, as long as they work on me. I have bottles of Cartier Must and Panthere, sadly only as vanity decorations. Didn't work on me. The Guerlain's you have on your site look divine, any suggestions? Thank you again!

Petra

Thank you for the response, again, Mr. Guerlain. I believe I have tried, or remember at least sniffing Samsara back in the day (late 70's early 80's). I am sure if it suited me I would have kept purchasing it.
    I am going thru a scent dilemma! *lol*
    I will tell you one thing..when I removed the Shalimar bottle to photograph it, instinctively I popped the top open and dabbed a bit on my wrist, waited, sniffed. The thing that doesn't agree with my chemistry is at..the end..of the scent. (Now, you will have to pardon my scent-knowledge/vocabulary illiteracy here.)
    I do know that while sitting here researching..I couldn't tell you how many times I lifted that gorgeous bottle and sniffed it's neck..because I Loved the scent, that scent right there..the scent around the rim of the stopper. Then when I went to my wrist, I remembered why I hadn't worn it. The end..of the scent.
    I suppose you would say..when it has dried down(?).
    Others have suggested, because they know I like Opium..Jaipur Saphir, Obsession etc. Nope, not for me..too much vanilla I think, or maybe not enough..of something else.
    It seems I've been more so attracted to men's scents. Scent's men in my life have worn that I like..Chanel pour monsieur, Egoist, Givenchy Pi, Boucheron Saphir pour homme, something from Armani I forget the name, even the new Dirty English by Juicy Couture. Sometime's I wished if some men's fragrances I've liked just had a tiny drop of sweetness..I'd wear them myself.
    I've loved many Women's perfumes..on other Women. When I've gone to try it myself..dead flowers *lol*. All I know is whatever they put more of in men's fragrances..I wished they put more of, if they put any, in Women's fragrances. We're not all delicate little flowers who want to smell like the inside of a candy store. I like musk..wood..and other scents that I'm not sure the names of, heck, musk and wood may even be wrong. I am an artist..I can better express myself visually.
    Maybe, I will just stick with the Opium and just collect other's for their beautiful packaging
    But I am open to scent suggestions. Btw..my favorite scent of Opium..even tho I own all formulas..is their scented bath gel...go figure.

Petra, I had trouble with some Guerlain perfumes, beginning with Mitsouko...
    but have been sampling, sampling, sampling, with the help of fellow basenoters.

Sampling has led me to my recent Guerlain love, Attrape Couer. Not overly sweet, it makes one feel like a toasted confection, it is warm and embracing, close to the skin. There is a powdery drydown to it which I find gives an intimate feel. A year ago, I would have never thought that I would wear a Guerlain at my wedding, but Attrape Couer was the one that "caught my heart."

Mr. Guerlain, I beseech you...won't you put Attrape Couer onto your beautiful Guerlain site?

p.s. Petra: LOVELY bottle!
    Last edited by rtamara41; 27th July 2008 at 11:39 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Petra, I was late coming to the Shalimar party (hated it until recently), but there is one other Guerlain I think you should try: Vol de Nuit. I won't say its anything like Opium, but looking at what you like and don't, I'm thinking you might like it.