Code of Conduct

Default ''Lifetime'' of a cologne

I was wondering how long a bottle of cologne can be used. I personally like to switch my scents every once in a while, so i end up forgetting about some bottles. So if i put them on after, say 2 years, will they still be as good?
    Also, does travelling have any effects on the scent, as the bottles are shaken continuously?
    And, lastly, i heard it was not wise to store cologne bottles in the bathroom, because the heat caused by showering causes some of the good ingredients to evaporate...
    What do you think/ know about all that?
    thanks a lot

Default Re: ''Lifetime'' of a cologne

Keep scents out of direct sunlight, and they will last a long, long time.
    Perfume The Guide says they will last indefinitely if kept out of sunlight.
    And one member posted here of finding his father's old colognes after 30 years of being under the kitchen sink, and that they all smelled okay to him.

Often their top notes change a bit with age, so that they may not smell as good for the first twenty minutes. But after that they become the same as the scent in a new bottle, since the mid and basenotes haven't changed.

I've never had any problem with bottles in my steamy bathroom - since they are sealed.

Which remindes me, there has been discussion here over the years about storing bottles upside down or on their sides - to keep their spray mechanisms from drying out, and then not maintaining a good seal. The jury is still out on that one.
    Renato

I have a vintage bottle of Braggi from the late 60's , its still brilliant .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

i have had colonges tht are more than 5 year old and IMHO, they are still the same... another thing is, i never throw away the boxes and always store the scents inside box + keep it in a dark place which is cooler than room temperature...

another aspect of collecting more and more scent, my wife always nags me telling, what are you going to do with so many scents?? an my patent answer is, well, think of it like im buying a shirt, a shirt wont stay for long and you would get bored by it and throw it off, scents last considerably long time and makes an equally good impression as would any other accessory. she would fold her hands, glare at me and nod her head to confirm, i have lost it up there....ah well, such is life..

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    another aspect of collecting more and more scent, my wife always nags me telling, what are you going to do with so many scents?? an my patent answer is, well, think of it like im buying a shirt, a shirt wont stay for long and you would get bored by it and throw it off, scents last considerably long time and makes an equally good impression as would any other accessory. she would fold her hands, glare at me and nod her head to confirm, i have lost it up there....ah well, such is life..
    But what do you say when your wife notices that you have a lifetime or two worth of scents?
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I have a vintage bottle of Braggi from the late 60's , its still brilliant .
    I wasn't born yet.

Well, it depends on the frag itself. My Cool Water went bad after 6 years. However, only the top note was gone, while the base note was still okay.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I am still using a small bottle of Uomo? by Moschino that I bought almost 10 years ago. To me, it smells the same as it did then and I get compliments on it even now. I am careful to keep it in its box in a drawer at room temperature and out of the light. I have had the same experience with Chanel's Egoiste Cologne Concentree.

Also, agitation of the fragrance due to traveling will not affect the composition at all. The molecules in perfumes are relatively small and cannot be broken down by stirring or sloshing.

Not to hijack, but I have a related question. I have a spare refrigerator with room I can dedicate to extra bottles/backups, etc. If I store frags in there, I know they'll last longer. However, in searching the forum I haven't found an answer to this: if a cologne/perfume is stored in a refrigerator for a few months (winter), then pulled out for use for a few months (summer), and then refrigerated again, will the back and forth twice a year affect the scent long-term? I have too much Richard James edt to use up anytime soon. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TBoner View Post
    Not to hijack, but I have a related question. I have a spare refrigerator with room I can dedicate to extra bottles/backups, etc. If I store frags in there, I know they'll last longer. However, in searching the forum I haven't found an answer to this: if a cologne/perfume is stored in a refrigerator for a few months (winter), then pulled out for use for a few months (summer), and then refrigerated again, will the back and forth twice a year affect the scent long-term? I have too much Richard James edt to use up anytime soon. Thanks.
    The transfers back and forth will not have a detrimental effect on the fragrances at all.