Code of Conduct

Default SotW July 19th-25th, 2008

It's Week 21 and it was another interesting one here at Chez Basenotes the best smelling cafeteria in the world. To set the table here are the raw numbers.
    955 total posts down from 1,072 last week.
    600 different scents mentioned down from 659 a week ago.
    427 scents mentioned once for an individuality index of 44.7% compared to 451 and 42.1% in Week 20.
    For our appetizer this evening we give you a full offering of House numbers. The speciality of Chez Basenotes is the house which is always the most popular both in termes of depth and strength. That house is Guerlain, this week 32 different Guerlain scents were worn accounting for 5% of the total scents worn. 65 total wears accounting for 6.8% of the total wears. Two scents in the top 10 including the #1 scent. If you are going to start off your scented menu you can't go wrong starting with Guerlain. Of course, there are other houses that we should mention on tonight's menu. Unfortunately there are a few houses for which their offerings this week were slimmer than usual. Bond #9 has its lowest week in 7 weeks. Comme des Garcons has its lowest week in 9 weeks, as Vettiveru has only one wear this week its lowest total in 10 weeks. Christian Dior suffers the same fate as its standard bearer Dior Homme has its lowest week in 8 weeks. Some other favorites of our customers, Creed and Frederic Malle, have shown extensive depth but each had a clear favorite this week. For Creed it was the always reliable Green Irish Tweed and for Frederic Malle, Vetiver Extraordinaire continues a five week winning streak. One small house has seen its numbers triple as a result of a special offer to Chez Basenotes customers. That house is Neil Morris, the flag bearer the last two weeks has been Gotham but members are sampling and it will be interesting to see if the numbers stay up for a few weeks. Parfums Raffy got two weeks of wears before dropping off the map completely after they offered samples of Mogul and Dragon. L'Artisan continues down for a second week. One interesting house to watch is Lorenzo Villoresi which has shown a funny pattern, the wears on even weeks are 40 % higher than on odd weeks. This is week 21 so the wears are down. Lastly Rebel Leader Riannon wanted to flex her muscles again and so in the latter half of the week she rallied the ladies and BrothaG around Parfums MDCI. Placing one scent in the top 10 and one just missing but the toal wears for Week 21 equal the total wears for the house in the previous 20 weeks.
    Now on to our main course, those individual scents that have become our a la carte masterpieces, at least for a week. This week the most popular dish is the very tasty Guerlain Vetiver. Just behind were the ever popular Terre D'Hermes and the dish most loved by rebels, this week, Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail.The next grouping on our menu includes two that had their highest week ever in Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque and Tom Ford Black Orchid. Both houses have started to place scents in the top 10 more regularly but different scents. Tom Ford is more interesting because it seems when a scent does start getting wears it builds up really quickly to a significant spike. Montale Black Aoud, Thierry Mugler Cologne and Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme round out this group. In the next group there are again two newcomers that require comment. Dunhill Edition for some inexplicable reason had its highest wear week ever, it had never had more than two wears and this week it tripled that. Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki continues its run as the most popular new men's scent. Joining Hinoki is the women's contender for best new scent, Estee Lauder Sensuous as this one has seen a steady build over the last four weeks all on the ladies' side of things. I will be watching to see which direction the numbers head. The remainder of the top 10 are the usual suspects although Narciso Rodriguez for Him makes a return after having lower wear totals since the weather got warmer.
    Here now your menu for July 19th-25th, 2008
    1.) Guerlain Vetiver 9 wears (0.9%)
    2.) Hermes Terre D'Hermes 8 wears (0.8%)
    2.) Parfums MDCI Enlevement au Serail 8 wears (0.8%)
    4.) Montale Black Aoud 7 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque 7 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Thierry Mugler Cologne 7 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Tom Ford Black Orchid 7 wears (0.7%)
    4.) Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 7 wears (0.7%)
    9.) Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Czech & Speake #88 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Dunhill Edition 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Estee Lauder Sensuous 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Narciso Rodriguez for Him 6 wears (0.6%)
    9.) Tauer L'air du Desert Marocain 6 wears (0.6%)

For dessert there are a number of offerings that were just not strong enough to be entrees and they are represented by some previous members of the top 10 like YSL Kouros, Creed Original Vetiver and Silver Mountain Water, L'Artisan Tea for Two and Gucci pour Homme. Serge Lutens Chergui and Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee just missed with pretty unisex wear this week. Two from the ladies Hanae Mori Butterfly and Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbere and one from the guys Rochas Eau de Rochas pour Homme round out our dessert offerings.
    One last little digestif before we send you on your way. After Chandler Burr's one-star bashing of Heremes Un Jardin Apres La Mousson. Three members wore it the next day to, I think, see if they agreed.
    I hope tonight's meal was to your satisfaction and that you will return next week.
    Until then you keep wearing 'em and I'll keep counting 'em.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: SotW July 19th-25th, 2008

Wonderful and interesting breakdown as usual SMM! Thanks for your Herculean efforts.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Always a pleasure to read your SotW reviews..........

Always insightful and entertaining, keep up the great work !!!

Blog Entries

Well, I know I'm a SotW addict now. I actually dug through several pages of threads yesterday to make sure that some evil web server entity hadn't stuffed it down in the cellar somewhere. Seeing SotW today was like.... well, let's not go there. Anyway, thanks again, Metro Man. Your critical analysis is always a huge pleasure. Not only did you out me on Neil Morris wear - your spotting of community Mousson-wear due to Chandler Burr's review had predictive value. I'm wearing it right now in scientific response to the subsequent thread that T.rex put up about the review yesterday. These numbers are hot. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Well, I know I'm a SotW addict now.
    Me too!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost