Code of Conduct

Default What goes with khakis?

I bought a pair so I could wear it with black dress shoes and a dress shirt as another part of my "professional" attire. I would also like to wear it casually...What kind of shirts and shoes go well with these kinds of pants if you want to wear it casually? I am 22, by the way.

Default Re: What goes with khakis?

I wouldn't wear a pair of khakis as professional attire. Even if you don't wear a suit and tie, I always find a pair of wool slacks more professional and a pair of chinos (or khakis) more casual.

The easiest thing to match a pair of chinos is a polo shirt. You can also wear a button down untucked and with the top and bottom most buttons unbuttoned.
    Last edited by HarryC; 28th July 2008 at 03:56 AM. Reason: typo

Well I somewhat disagree...I think khaki's can easily be professional. Obviously not when suit and tie are required, but they look more than acceptable with a nice dress shirt and shoes for everyday type work.
    Last edited by leor_77; 28th July 2008 at 04:22 AM.

Chinos are like tofu -- they mix well with just about anything. (The material is chino, by the way. Khaki is a color that chinos come in.) Sport coat or no sport coat, tie or no tie, button down or tennis shirt. I like khaki-colored chinos the best. Since it is neutral, it will go with just about any color. Navy and black chinos seem to pick up too much lint for me.

I agree that they are not the pinnacle of formality. Some situations require a suit, some situations require wool slacks and a sport coat, et cetera et cetera. I put chinos as dressier than jeans but not as dressy as slacks. I would check out the web sites for Banana Republic, J. Crew, and the Gap for ideas.

However, I do not think that black accessories traditionally go with khaki. I would go with dark brown or cordovan instead.
    Last edited by Advocate; 28th July 2008 at 06:30 PM.

I like khakis with a light/baby blue button down shirt and some brown leather shoes. If you're going with a white button down shirt, I think it's best to layer it with something else like a light gray sweater or something.

Khakis are very versatile, it goes well with almost any summer color. Just stand in front of your mirror and try to mix and match with what you have in your closet first.

Blog Entries

Yes, pretty much anything goes with khakis. I would stick with brown shoes/belt unless you're wearing a black or white shirt, in which case you could go with black shoes/belt as well.

Khaki (the colour) mostly goes with black or white tops - anything else is usually a bit of a minefield. As for shoes, it really depends on the style of the trousers but more on personal tastes. Anyway, that's my two scents...
    Last edited by Trebor; 31st July 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Khaki (the colour) mostly goes with black or white tops - anything else is usually a bit of a minefield.
    I disagree. Khaki is a neutral color, so pairing it with any other color should be acceptable.

See this excellent primer on color theory:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...lorReality.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    I disagree. Khaki is a neutral color, so pairing it with any other color should be acceptable.

See this excellent primer on color theory:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...lorReality.htm
    "These are Colors that traditionally go well together, but remember this is only a guide." (askandyaboutclothes.com)

It's okay to disagree but this shouldn't be based solely on a guide. At the end of the day, it's all about personal preference. I don't recall stating black and white as the only colours that can go with khaki but they are most certainly the easiest combinations (i.e. in terms of flexibility). Certain shades of grey, brown, yellow and blue (especially) can also go with khaki but not all of them - hence my reference to 'minefield'.

Guides are okay but I much prefer relying on my own personal instincts, even if this involves trial and error.
    Last edited by Trebor; 31st July 2008 at 07:25 PM.

Guides are helpful because they allow us to benefit from someone else's trial and error. They also show us where our personal preference and instinct might have otherwise led us astray.

Of course, we should test these theories for ourselves to see if they hold water. For what it's worth, I have experimented with color combinations based upon this theory, and have found it to hold true.
    Certain shades of grey, brown, yellow and blue (especially) can also go with khaki but not all of them - hence my reference to 'minefield'.
    On the contrary, all colors go with khaki: "Neutrals work well with all colors or may be worn together." http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/C...lorReality.htm That is why neutrals are called "neutrals."

The designer Alan Flusser's large-format Dressing the Man is also an excellent guide, because it contains illustrations following these rules and breaking these rules, and explanations why they work or don't work, respectively. It is a pricey book, but worth a look at least. If one thought that color theory was complicated, check out his examples of matching four stripes and patterns harmoniously.

Advocate, as I mentioned before, it's all about personal tastes - no guide should be treated as a bible (hence the usage of the word 'guide'). Besides, life's too short to be so anal.

Laters...
    Last edited by Trebor; 1st August 2008 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Advocate, as I mentioned before, it's all about personal tastes - no guide should be treated as a bible (hence the usage of the word 'guide'). Besides, life's too short to be so anal.
    Personal taste does not exist in a vacuum. A careful observer will base his or her personal taste upon observation, memory, and the advice of others. In this case, color theory is several hundred years old, and grew out of the science of optics (or "Opticks," as Sir Isaac Newton's book was titled). These rules apply beyond clothing, to painting and other visual media, which is why Leonardo da Vinci was interested in them. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_theory for more general information on color theory.

Obviously, a person has to reflect upon the advice in a guide, and then make an informed decision whether to agree with it. This is especially true when multiple guides give conflicting advice. In this case, I have experimented in real life with color combinations based upon this rule, and I can attest that it they work.

At any rate, I fail to see how there could be any more "anal" advice than "mostly" wear white and black with khaki. The rule that I have cited is that any color goes with khaki. How a rule of complete freedom is "anal" in any way is honestly beyond me.

Sur la Plage

I think black accessories go perfectly fine with khakis. However, it is not the only color that you can wear with them.

I personally would not wear "dress" shoes with khakis - but I guess it depends on what your definition of that is.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Black dress shoes and khakis = fashion hell , dont even go there .....

I wear khakis both smart and casual , maybe a smart plain white fitted shirt , a sweater or cardigan and a pair of brown lace up chukkas . Or sometimes I will just throw on a tee or hoodie and some converse ....

khakis are a very good formal wear.... you can wear it with blazers or any formal jacket....

but to be creative you can almost throw any combination on it....
    Merkkleding Nederland

A crisp ironed white cotton button down shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and sneakers or black boots. (Docs maybe, or boondockers)

My husband pretty much lives in khakis for work - it's a business casual environment. He wears them with brown lace up shoes, belt, and various button-up oxford type shirts. I think he always looks neat and well dressed, but maybe more conservative than most 22 year olds. For casual, I really like the khaki chinos Gap ad look, with a black or white tee and mussy bed-head hair, sneakers or boots. Or rolled cuffs on the beach with bare feet. (Dreaming of beaches now....)