Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The TC Sample of the Day Thread--I Went Haywire(9/5)

OK, I'm always looking to buy and have gotten to know some really nice people while emailing about buying or swapping but I have a hard time pulling the trigger sometimes. The one family thread about "gay" things got me thinking about image. So I am asking for your help since I'm newer here. I'm going to describe my background and you guys help by throwing out a scent that would fit. Right now I own and use Burberry London, Bvlgari Aqva, Gucci II, AdG and Corduroy. I haven't put together a wardrobe on here yey

I'm a 38 year old male who is married with an 11 month old. I am a professional, an attorney, but am in an office where it is business casual. Its a corporation. I have always worn Polo shirts or like clothes since I was younger. If not I used specialty shops like Harolds(Harold Powell in some places) in the south. Im in Houston so it is a long hot and muggy trend for a majority of months. I do not like perfumey or flowery type colognes. Basically I'm a preppy dad or a Polo guy. However I am never sold on the Polo colognes. Ideas or thoughts for a scent for me that goes with all of this?

If this is a dumb idea, ignore and it will slide away.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th September 2008 at 07:32 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants

I'm not that great with pairing fragrances with people, but I do feel I should add that this is definitely something useful. I find that someones image of oneself is the single most important factor in determining a fragrance.

Are you edgy, daring? You can probably pull off something that most others can't.
    Are you a jock? Sporty? etc.. etc..

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    I'm not that great with pairing fragrances with people, but I do feel I should add that this is definitely something useful. I find that someones image of oneself is the single most important factor in determining a fragrance.

Are you edgy, daring? You can probably pull off something that most others can't.
    Are you a jock? Sporty? etc.. etc..
    I am more sporty. I wouldn't call myself edgy at all. The golfing professional. I tried Colonia Intensa once and loved it...just on the card and thought it was masculine and great so I'm thinking that might fit me. I just wanted to know what other colognes come to mind for people with my description. I've also worn Armani scents like Mania with success.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

YSL l'Homme
    Chrome - Azzaro
    Issey Miyaki

comes to mind
    Last edited by Suppressor; 28th July 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    YSL l'Homme
    Chrome - Azzaro

comes to mind
    Thanks. I also want to add that lately I have enjoyed a sample of Egoiste platinum so I'm not sure hwo that figure is. Seemed classy to me.
    --Ben Hogan

I'm usually the one needing advice... however here's my 2cents worth

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta has a rose note in it - although I don't find it floral - just fresh and bright.

Davidoff Cool Water is a tried-and-tested fragrance but it smells wonderful on the right people.

Chanel Egoiste - wonderful, classy and rich.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistan(ce)

I was thrown by the homonym typo in the title.. I pictured someone hired to ensure you smell your best

I can only comment on ones I've tried or owned that I think you may like that would work for Houston heat, which I'd imagine is similar to here (and I'll try to avoid overly common ones)...

Designer
    Hermès - Terre D'Hermès
    Chanel - Platinum Egoïste
    Hermès - Eau d'Orange Verte
    Lacoste - Elegance
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote
    Prada - Amber
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne
    Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Rochas - Rochas Man

Niche/Non-Designer
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Bond No. 9 - Central Park
    Bond No. 9 - Nouveau Bowery
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Fou d'Absinthe
    Lubin - Le Vetiver
    By Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    Il Profumo Café Vert
    Geir Ness - Geir
    Frederic Malle - Vétiver Extraordinaire
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Green Valley
    Cereus pour Homme No. 7
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I was thrown by the homonym typo in the title.. I pictured someone hired to ensure you smell your best

I can only comment on ones I've tried or owned that I think you may like that would work for Houston heat, which I'd imagine is similar to here (and I'll try to avoid overly common ones)...

Designer
    Hermès - Terre D'Hermès
    Lacoste - Elegance
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote
    Prada - Amber
    Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Rochas - Rochas Man

Niche/Non-Designer
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Lubin - Le Vetiver
    Il Profumo Café Vert
    Geir Ness - Geir
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Green Valley
    Cereus pour Homme No. 7
    Thanks. I meant to write the title that way. Like I was to employ all of you as my assistants.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    I'm usually the one needing advice... however here's my 2cents worth

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta has a rose note in it - although I don't find it floral - just fresh and bright.

Davidoff Cool Water is a tried-and-tested fragrance but it smells wonderful on the right people.

Chanel Egoiste - wonderful, classy and rich.
    Thanks also. I wore Cool Water in my 20s and got nothing but rave responses. Just not sure how it would translate now. I have tried Platinum Egoiste and Intensa, not Assoluta so I'll have to look there too.
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Some suggestions:

Mugler Cologne
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Tiffany for Men
    Tom Ford for Men
    Versace l'Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    YSL Pour Homme
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th July 2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Some suggestions:

Mugler Cologne
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Tiffany for Men
    Tom Ford for Men
    Versace l'Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    YSL Pour Homme
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Thanks for your input also. Out of those which would you say has the best sillage? I'm not going to lie, I like to have a little of it trailing me without being overpowering.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 06:43 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Habit Rouge, Guerlain
    Jicky, Guerlain
    Pour un Homme, Caron
    English Fern, Penhaligon's
    Racquets, Penhaligon's
    Equipage, Hermes
    Pour un Homme, YSL

And if you like sandalwood, Musk from Villoresi is a must.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Thanks for your input also. Out of those which would you say has the best sillage? I'm not going to lie, I like to have a little of it trailing me without being overpowering.
    By far, Rive Gauche pour Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Habit Rouge, Guerlain *
    Jicky, Guerlain *
    Pour un Homme, Caron
    Racquets, Penhaligon's *
    Equipage, Hermes *
    Pour un Homme, YSL

And if you like sandalwood, Musk * from Villoresi is a must.
    * these are the ones with the nicest sillage.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

* these are the ones with the nicest sillage.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it.

By far, Rive Gauche pour Homme.
    I've read alot about this. Seems inexpensive and I do love the barbershop smell that so many mention. I'm wondering if this would be worth a blind buy.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

... I do love the barbershop smell ...
    Me too ... A lot !

Me too ... A lot !
    I haven't tried the aftershave but I love the shaving cream and the Clubman talc type smells walking out of there.
    --Ben Hogan

Do you like powdery fragrances ?

no no,i,m in error you`re for Tilleul D'Orsay
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 28th July 2008 at 08:41 PM.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Do you like powdery fragrances ?
    Not always. Sometimes they are a little cloying to me if there is too much. But I like a little bit of it in the drydown. Sone i like more than others. If it is pure talc type barbershop I might like it more than some "sweeter" powder smells.

If I looked up all the stuff I have liked in the past you will see it is either a heavy type fragrance like London with tobacco, leather or other similar scents or lighter stuff like Cool Water. But I have noticed alot of Cedar in the drydowns of some I am enjoying lately.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:42 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

You should try Chevalier d'Orsay definitely. Go read the reviews on this one and you will get the idea. Just a beautiful, masculine frag that doesn't shout, but is always there. Classy, refined, but still for a sporting fella.
    Also Vintage Tabarome - Creed, Creed - Original Vetiver, and Fou d'Absinthe come to mind.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th July 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You should try Chevalier d'Orsay definitely. Go read the reviews on this one and you will get the idea. Just a beautiful, masculine frag that doesn't shout, but is always there. Classy, refined, but still for a sporting fellow.

Also Vintage Tabarome - Creed, Creed - Original Vetiver, and Fou d'Absinthe come to mind.
    That sounds up my alley and I like what I read. I also have read about Vintage Tabarome and am interested since I have been in favor of some heavy scents before that are a little more Winter/Fall. Again, it may seem to some reading this that I'm all over the place but I'm developibng as I go and never expanded much beyond my Versaces and Armanis over the years. So I am thinking of things..such as the barbershop...that might translate since I have never thought about it before.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:47 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

And do you have names in mind ?
    Also, which are the fragrances you like on women ?

And do you have names in mind ?
    Also, which are the fragrances you like on women ?
    I'll put it this way. I'm not a Kouros type guy. I liked Lagerfeld as a teen. I just know it when I smell it.

Another thing. I'm not going to be the guy with 20 colognes. With a wife who thinks this is funny and a child I'm trying to round my collection to 5 or so that I can be versatile with. I know Burberry London will be one because she loves it and it has special meaning to us. But the selling and collecting now is a journey for me to find more.

I used to have a girlfriend that wore Mackie for women and I though the sillage from that was heavenly. I can still catch it now if someone walks by.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

We haven't got the same culture and the same perfume references which makes the thing quite difficult for me. For example, I have never heard of Mackie before.

Do you have the possibility to test the ones we mentioned ? If you choose 5 frags, take you time to try them on your skin and to live with them during a few days. Wearing a scent is more than a nice smell, you need to feel well with it, confident and happy.

I don't know what you look like (hair color, size, eyes colour, carnation), but I would go for 6 very different fragrances like for example Musk fom Villoresi (sandalwood, geranium bourbon, musk), Habit Rouge (citruses, aromatics, powdery), Ambre Sultan (amber, woods, dried fruits and spices), Equipage (oakmoss), a leathery one (Cuir de Russie, Cuir Mauresque, Imperial Leather, etc.) and maybe one with lavender but I don't know which one is the best. Caron Maybe.

Ca you receive samples from abroad in the US or your customs are still fussy with liquids ?

Others will come with more ideas, I'm sure.

We haven't got the same culture and the same perfume references which makes the thing quite difficult for me. For example, I have never heard of Mackie before.

Do you have the possibility to test the ones we mentioned ? If you choose 5 frags, take you time to try them on your skin and to live with them during a few days. Wearing a scent is more than a nice smell, you need to feel well with it, confident and happy.

I don't know what you look like (hair color, size, eyes colour, carnation), but I would go for 6 very different fragrances like for example Musk fom Villoresi (sandalwood, geranium bourbon, musk), Habit Rouge (citruses, aromatics, powdery), Ambre Sultan (amber, woods, dried fruits and spices), Equipage (oakmoss), a leathery one (Cuir de Russie, Cuir Mauresque, Imperial Leather, etc.) and maybe one with lavender but I don't know which one is the best. Caron Maybe.

Ca you receive samples from abroad in the US or your customs are still fussy with liquids ?

Others will come with more ideas, I'm sure.
    I can try out alot of the ones we have talked about. I like your thinking though of picking 5 distinct fragrances. I'll try and research some more. It seems the further in I get, the more confused I get because I think I have a direction and then I'll back off. But thanks for the ideas
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 08:27 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

The problem is that you might end up loving all theses scents and the emotions generated by some of them ... Let me know if there are things you cannot find at all. I have 140 bottles at home from which I can make samples.

The problem is that you might end up loving all theses scents and the emotions generated by some of them ... Let me know if there are things you cannot find at all. I have 140 bottles at home from which I can make samples.
    Thank you again. You have bene very generous and nice. I probably will love them all. My real problem is that I have hit a point where no matter what I like I'm always looking or smelling for the next best thing so I'm eating up all the info on this site. I just need to go a little at a time.
    --Ben Hogan

Hate to add to the suggestion overload but, maybe Gendarme, Geir, or Hugh Parsons Traditional(blue bottle) would be good office, preppy, clean, non-edgy scents. I have Gendarme and Hugh Parsons and think they are both good for the office or casual settings. Very clean but not aquatice scents. Also just to add, Rive Gauche is (some say barbershop smelling) clean with good longevity.

Sean John Unforgivable. its crisp, sparkling just like champange, fresh thruout with a really sexy drydown. 6-7 sprays should do it with 2 of it on shirt..

Rive Gauche and Chanel Allure homme sport would tie in second based on your description. my two cents...

Morning Star

Right now I own and use Burberry London, Bvlgari Aqva, Gucci II, AdG and Corduroy. I haven't put together a wardrobe on here yet. I'm a 38 year old male who is married with an 11 month old. I am a professional, an attorney, but am in an office where it is business casual. Its a corporation. I am never sold on the Polo colognes. Ideas or thoughts for a scent for me that goes with all of this?
    Too bad you're not a fan of Ralph Lauren Polo colognes. Personally, I really like them, especially Polo Blue and Polo Black. The previous recommendation of Hugh Parsons is a good one, and you should be able to test it at any Nordstrom fragrance counter.

Since someone mentioned Creed "Vintage" Tabaróme, allow me to also suggest Creed Bois du Portugal, Frédéric Malle Noir Épices, and Gucci Pour Homme. All are incredible, woody, masculine fragrances which have decent sillage. Bois du Portugal is somewhat less aggressive than either Noir Épices or Gucci Pour Homme, and has a great drydown. Someone also recommended Geir Ness Geir, which I will second as a great, fresh fragrance. Absolutely nothing powdery or cloying about any of these choices.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 28th July 2008 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Too bad you're not a fan of Ralph Lauren Polo colognes. Personally, I really like them, especially Polo Blue and Polo Black. The previous recommendation of Hugh Parsons is a good one, and you should be able to test it at any Nordstrom fragrance counter.

Since someone mentioned Creed "Vintage" Tabaróme, allow me to also suggest Creed Bois du Portugal, Frédéric Malle Noir Épices, and Gucci Pour Homme. All are incredible, woody, masculine fragrances which have decent sillage. Bois du Portugal is somewhat less aggressive than either Noir Épices or Gucci Pour Homme, and has a great drydown. Someone also recommended Geir Ness Geir, which I will second as a great, fresh fragrance. Absolutely nothing powdery or cloying about any of these choices.
    Its not that I don't like Polo. I really want to. I wore the original Polo as a kid and think they smell pretty good but EVERY time I try one I get something different. For some reason Blue will smell good one day and really antiseptic and harsh the next time. Black will smell sophisticated and sharp and then the next time I'll catch something that really throws it off. Considering I wear a boatload of Polo button downs and pullovers I wish I could get a good one to fit my style. Explorer wasn't bad either.

Thanks for the other suggestions./

Thanks to everyone. I'm trying to get a list and I'll go through a little at a time. Gier, Rive Gauche, Parsons and some of the Creeds are at the top.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 12:50 AM.
    --Ben Hogan

I agree with petruccijc that you would like Rive Gauche. The descriptions of it smelling like an awesome version of Barbasol are completely acurate.

I would also try YSL L'Homme, Terre de Hermes, Guerlain Vetiver, Dior Homme, and Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme.

If I think of any more I'll try and add them.

Have you tried Kiton Men? Would fit your profile imo
    ~~Penniless but smell Fantastic~~

I'd say bring on the dignified freak out and wear some Knize Ten or Royal English Leather. You'll cut your path with dignity and glory. Other than that get some heavy neroli bomb like MPG's Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme or Roger & Gallet's Extra Veille.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned:

Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee -- clean, fresh, vegetal
    Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage (French Lover) -- the smell of a sexy man, bar none.

Thumbs up from a fellow Houston attorney. You're gonna smell goooooodd....

TX lawyers in the house!!! Austin, here!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post

Designer
    Hermès - Terre D'Hermès
    Lacoste - Elegance
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote
    Prada - Amber
    Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Rochas - Rochas Man

Niche/Non-Designer
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Lubin - Le Vetiver
    Il Profumo Café Vert
    Geir Ness - Geir
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Green Valley
    Cereus pour Homme No. 7
    This is a great list with many wonderful scents. I just tried Prada Amber today and I love it. Platinum Egoiste I think works well with older men instead of teens (though I wear it quite well), Antidote was a recent buy of mine and is rather sweet instead of citrusy, Rochas Man is really sweet, another one I tried today and put it right up there with A*Men for seriously sweet fragrances. Terre d'Hermes might fit the bill if you liked Colonia Assoluta, though accept no substitutes if you liked the Acqua di Parma offering. Or try the original Colonia, widely hailed here as one of the greatest fragrances of all time.

As for Polos, if you haven't done so give Double Black a try, I find it to be rather uniquely good in the lineup. Cheers.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Hey T.C.!

Seems like everyone's throwing in their two-bits so I'm having a go of my own!

First thing (and sometimes even LAST thing) I'll say is....Try them ALL out! A littlre spritz won't hurt and can be washed off. I have not had a lot of regrettable blind buys, but keeping them to a minimum is nice!

So, judging from your "sketch/watercolor" of your own self, I will offer up some scents for you to try.

Lanvin L'Homme: Clean. Crisp. Confident. And a funky cap retainer to boot! This one is worth a shot...try it out!!

Gendarme: Found this gem sitting on a display all its own in the Marshall Field's State Street store in May 1989. And back then, there was NOTHING else like it!! It smelled like a bottled rendition of "squeaky-clean"!

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme: A bit bolder....a scent firmly rooted in tobacco and woods yet held playfully aloft by the bright citrus in the topnotes. And the dark blue box is all velvety/fuzzy, too!

Polo Double Black by Ralph Lauren: I know....I read it: you are NOT a fan of Polo scents. But just try this one and tell me it doesn't have the near-identical cardamom note as in Corduroy. I'm just sayin'.

Well, ToughCool....that's all I could think of for now.

Just remember: Have fun!!

Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien would work well in Houston's heat, as would various vetivers. My suggestion is head over to the Galleria and raid the perfume counters of Saks, Neiman Marcus and Dillards for samples.

Quote Originally Posted by mmaximus View Post
    TX lawyers in the house!!! Austin, here!
    Alright Lynn and Maximus

This thread is exactly why I love being here. Great people with great suggestions. So what we have is this......this is my buying list...errrrrrrrrrr....trying list over time. I'll make some comments on what I've tried before

Rive Gauche
    Hermès - Terre D'Hermès--Two tries. First was horrible. Second wes really good. i SHOULD like this so I'll go for 3rd.
    Chanel - Platinum Egoïste-Used a whole sample spray. Could not get enough. Love it
    Lacoste - Elegance
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote
    Prada - Amber
    Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Rochas - Rochas Man
    Aqua di Parma Colonia--One card try. Loved it but it was gone in 5 minutes. Normal?
    Lubin - Le Vetiver
    Il Profumo Café Vert
    Geir Ness - Geir
    Creed Himalaya--Only have tried 3 Creeds and this was a favorite
    Creed Green Valley
    Cereus pour Homme No. 7
    Lanvin L'Homme
    Polo Double Black--Will have to try again. Seemed to like it but not sure
    Hermes Un Jardin en Mediterranee
    Frederic Malle Bois d'Orage
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme--I do like but have others around me that wear it
    Gendarme
    Kiton Men
    YSL L'Homme--Need try. I did like YSL Pour Homme.
    Bulgari Pour Homme Extreme
    Knize Ten
    Royal English Leather
    Guerlain Vetiver-Really need to try again. Tried once and skin and was overwhelmed.
    Dior Homme
    MPG's Eau Pour Le Jeune Homme
    Roger & Gallet's Extra Veille.
    Hugh Parsons
    Chrome - Azzaro--Liked it alot. Crisp. But wife was taken aback.
    Issey Miyaki
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Egoiste
    Cool Water--Wore exclusively 1993-1998 and loved but not sure I could go back
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Tiffany for Men
    Tom Ford for Men--Like alot
    Versace l'Homme
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Habit Rouge, Guerlain
    Jicky, Guerlain
    Pour un Homme, Caron
    Racquets, Penhaligon's
    Equipage, Hermes
    Musk from Villoresi
    Creed "Vintage" Tabaróme
    Creed Bois du Portugal
    Frédéric Malle Noir Épices
    Sean John Unforgivable--Have tried. Good but not over the top for me. Worth a second try
    Chanel Allure Homme Sport
    Cuir de Russie
    Cuir Mauresque
    Imperial Leather
    Chevalier d'Orsay
    Tilleul D'Orsay

Some others I tried in the past and liked

Cartier L'Essence de Déclaration--Loved it after pencil shavings smell died
    Acqua di Parma Colonia--Loved it

Quite some work I have here
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 12:37 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

One more to add that can be easily tested at malls...

Chanel Allure Homme Blanche.
    The friendliest (and my favorite) Allure to date.

From the list above, my favorite would be By Kilian's Straight to Heaven.

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants-WITH TESTING UPDATE

So in order to get this party started I went to the mall down the street that has a Foleys and a Sephora. With alot of sweetness the girl at Sephora made me 6 samples. Still have that charm with the ring on. She said they are only allowed to make 3 but oh well.

I also want to say don't be offended if your idea gets shot down big time. I just couldn't see some of these at all.

The Bad

Rochas Man--Smelled like I had a rough and tumble night with Strawberry Shortcake. WAY too sweet. no

Mugler Cologne--Not sure what to say. Really DISAPPOINTED. I put this on my skin right off the bat and it is still there. It was horrible to me. Really odd. I'm not sure what soap he had as a kid but it stunk. It got worse as I wore it. I can't even describe it. Its like nothing with a smell

Vetiver and Vetiver Sport--I'm putting these together because I tried both. I even got a smaple of both. I truly want to love them. they look refreshing. I didn't see much difference except that Sport went on with a little more citrus, which I liked. But the drydown was...nauseating. It is like old, spicy cucumber/cactus juice. In fact they both have this "cactus" affect to me and it gives me a headache. I have the samples and want to be a guy who sees what others see but this stuff..both, would clear a room. Honestly. It lightens and gets better but never for me. I'll try the samples for each again but I don't see it.

Hermès - Eau d'Orange Verte--Dear Lord NO. I must have had a Ménage à trois with Rochas and her Orange smelling cousin Eau d'Orange Verte.

Dior Homme--I can't even explain it. Glue, rubber or something in school supplies. I can't place the smell. It just isn't good

Soso But Not For Me

Terre D'Hermès--I have to finally admit defeat. This isn't for me. This is the third time and the woodiness was just too overwhelming and strong. I can't get with it. I just can't. So that is Strike Two on the "Best of the Basenote World" group...Vetiver and this.

Polo Blue--I can't find the freshness. Just a strong, Lysol type mess when sprayed to me. I catch hints of what I want but no.

Polo Black--Yes I like a Polo. This really was good this time. But there is something about it I don't like either. I just can't figure it out. They had Double Black at Macys but I didn't get enough on the paper.

Chanel Allure Homme Sport--Not offensive. Pleasant enough but I went right to looking elsewhere.

Likes and Surprises

First a surprise because not listed

L'Instant Pour Homme by Guerlain--Love it. It is on my left wrist. Too bad I discovered it after she made my samples. I guess people call this gourmand but to me there is a mix of sweetness that doesn't bring out anything in particular, just nice and classy. With a little vanilla. I shouldn't like this and it is a little feminine but my nose keeps going there.

YSL L'Homme--Great stuff. Like labove, a little sweet but great smelling. It is on my upper right arm. The drydown just keeps getting better.

Egoiste Platinum--I have a thread to it. Class in a bottle.

Tom Ford for Men--Great stuff. I think there is a sexiness to it. All I can say. Not sure I'd buy it but I got a sample.

Cartier - Eau de Cartier--Fresh, light, simple, smells great. For some reason the YSL, the Platinum and this all have something that seems fresh and at the same time classy to me.

Unforgiveable--Fine, shoot me. I don't like Vetiver and Terre d' Hermes but this came across nicely. I did get a sample because I don't trust paper. I wonder if people slam this because people compare it to their Creed favs or they don't like celebrity offerings because it really is pretty pleasant.

Here are some ones I tried again but in passing

Davidoff Adventure--Could be really good but I couldn't maintain that scent that long on the card.

Cool Water--I always resmell it for old times sake. Still good but had a different vibe to it I couldn't get my finger on.

Versace Pour Homme--New One. I really like it as a pleasant scent but nothing great or different. You couldn't pick it out of a lineup.

So my samples are Tom Ford, YSL L'Homme, Egoiste Platinum..again, Unforgiveable, Vetiver and Vetiver Sport.

Alot of smelling but some of it was just to redo some earlier ones.

Maybe I just don't have this over the top, great nose for the special stuff but part of me thinks the special stuff gets by on rep alone and people are afraid to rock the boat.

Of course there is much more to go but that really helped me alot because some were begging for second chances and this doesn't cover some of the higher end stuff.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Monsieur ToughCool, I don't like the way you go through your list ...
    Testing 18 scents on the same day can only be a pure mess. You are destroying your nose, mixing all these fragrances and probably passing by the nicest things ...

For a correct test, you have to shop with a magazine. You test 2 to 4 fragrances maximum a day onto your skin (2 onto the wrists and 2 on the inside of the elbows). You kindly ask the charming lady to spray them onto paper strips and put them into your magazine, making sure they do not get in contact (if you are not offered paper strips, you can spray onto Kleenex).

Then get out and start living with them. See, at work, at home, at the gym, etc. if anything appeals to you. To be sure you catch the different evolutions of your perfumes, your test has to last at least 4 to 5 hours.

Sorry to be a pain, but I just couldn't shut up.
    Last edited by Night; 29th July 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Monsieur ToughCool, I don't like the way you go through your list ...
    Testing 18 scents on the same day can only be a pure mess. You are destroying your nose, mixing all these fragrances and probably passing by the nicest things ...

For a correct test, you have to shop with a magazine. You test 2 to 4 fragrances maximum a day onto your skin (2 onto the wrists and 2 on the inside of the elbows). You kindly ask the charming lady to spray them onto paper strips and put them into your magazine, making sure they do not get in contact (if you are not offered paper strips, you can spray onto Kleenex).

Then get out and start living with them. See, at work, at home, at the gym, etc. if anything appeals to you. To be sure you catch the different evolutions of your perfumes, your test has to last at least 4 to 5 hours.

Sorry to be a pain, but I just couldn't shut up.
    I know. I realize it too. I respect that. I understand that there is fatigue and things of that nature. I understand that the cards aren't always best. I just had a few that i didn't like once and wanted to try again. I'll tell you how I went through it. I wanted to do 4 on my skin

I walked into Macys and avoided too many. I didn't want to go wild. The woman was spraying strips left and right and I tried to just put them away and use the coffee beans. I started with my upper left arm and elbow area with Mugler right off the bat. The upper right arm was YSL L'Homme. that is all I really did there but take a quick sniff of the cards. Again, some I tried before.

Then at Sephora I did Terre d Hermes on one wrist and the Vetiver on the other. I just couldn't take them after about 30 minutes so I got the antiseptic on the cotton they had and wiped it off. I made sure there was no residue because I had sprayed lightly. On more of the hand area then went L'Instant and Vetiver Sport. Ones like Rochas Man and the orange one weren't getting near my skin. Not me. Others I waited and took the strips and asked her to let me see samples. That is why I will try each separately.

Not proper but it gave me a feel for ones I had ideas on and on others I didn't.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 06:55 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

I also want to say don't be offended if your idea gets shot down big time. I just couldn't see some of these at all.
    If you are anything like most of us, you nose will change dramatically in the first six months or so. Don't be surprised if, in the end, several of the ones you have rejected turn out to be some of your favorite fragrances.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    If you are anything like most of us, you nose will change dramatically in the first six months or so. Don't be surprised if, in the end, several of the ones you have rejected turn out to be some of your favorite fragrances.
    I've already noticed that somewhat because some of the ones I like are surprising me compared to what I'm used to.
    --Ben Hogan

im glad you gave Unforgivable a chance. i love it, it moves from sparkling to fresh to a very baby powdery musky sexy base. very soothing and somethin that will go with your description.

Mugler Cologne is something which wont stand out amongst the other scents that you tried out but, saying that, its pure class in a bottle. it's a very balanced scent..sometimes its all about the blend isnt it..? a lil too much can kill it or a a notch below could make it boring, but this one is just there, its prefect and it possesses some Aroma Therapeutic qualities, please give this one a fair assesment by giving a sample full wear.
    Last edited by jenson; 29th July 2008 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Exactly ! I didn't know how to say that without being rude, but I am nearly reading his list the other way round ...

I'd better stay away from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    im glad you gave Unforgivable a chance. i love it, it moves from sparkling to fresh to a very baby powdery musky sexy base. very soothing and somethin that will go with your description.

Mugler Cologne is something which wont stand out amongst the other scents that you tried out but, saying that, its pure class in a bottle. it's a very balanced scent..sometimes its all about the blend isnt it..? a lil too much can kill it or a a notch below could make it boring, but this one is just there, its prefect and it possesses some Aroma Therapeutic qualities, coz vetiver is a very widely used herb ins herbal medicines for its certain qualities. please give this one a fair assesment by giving a sample full wear.
    Good to hear. I'm interested to see how a full day of it goes through the sample but it was far from the reviews I read.

I will give it another shot but I'll tell you the truth..it was the first I put on right off the bat it hit me as not pleasant. It has been on my arm about 3 hours now and it is almost gone and what is left is not good. I tried it on a strip a few weeks back and wasn't impressed either. It must be something I'm missing. But I'll try again.

Thanks for the input.
    --Ben Hogan

Exactly ! I didn't know how to say that without being rude, but I am nearly reading his list the other way round ...

I'd better stay away from this thread.
    Listen, I know there are going to be noses on here that think the world of some of these while poopooing the others but many of these like Guerlain Vetiver, Terre d' Hermes and others are ones that I have tried multiple times with the same results. Rochas Man was another Joop to me and WAY too fruity. Eau d'Orange Verte..what can I say..my wife would laugh at me. They just aren't pleasant. I figured I would get blasted like I'm not refined enough but I consider myself to have good taste and I think many of these are reputation alone colognes. That or people are trying so hard to smell different that they miss the simplicity of "it doesn't smell that good." Just my opinion and I really appreciate yours, even if it is negative.So go for it while I'm learning.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 07:45 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

YSL L'Homme & Cartier - Eau de Cartier - a big thumbs up!! arent these two just amazing?!! (btw you may wanna try the concentree version of Eau de Cartier, i like tht over the original)

if you like TFFM, then you may be interested in ST Dupont Noir as well..classy frag...
    Last edited by jenson; 29th July 2008 at 07:33 PM.

ToughCool -- ditto on comments re: your nose changing. Save the samples you don't like or use up and go back to them after some time -- you may be surprised!

This also means you may not want to purchase all five of your quotient right away, because if your tastes do change, you'll have all these bottles that will never get used up ... maybe just get your two favorites now, and then add one every few months or so. Better yet, hold off on full bottles and just order small decants. It's hard to do, but I bet your selections will reflect your tastes more in the long run. Also this stretches out the shopping pleasure longer.

Sur la Plage

You may want to compare Eau de Cartier with Eau de Cartier Concentree. I personally like the concentree version more. They are both at Sephora.

btw TC, great thread! i guess this is one of the few threads where we actually saw the result and final verdict!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnaea View Post
    ToughCool -- ditto on comments re: your nose changing. Save the samples you don't like or use up and go back to them after some time -- you may be surprised!

This also means you may not want to purchase all five of your quotient right away, because if your tastes do change, you'll have all these bottles that will never get used up ... maybe just get your two favorites now, and then add one every few months or so. Better yet, hold off on full bottles and just order small decants. It's hard to do, but I bet your selections will reflect your tastes more in the long run. Also this stretches out the shopping pleasure longer.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I feel like people look at it like I'm some heathen for not liking some. The reality is I could never see myself adjusting to a Guerlain Vetiver or wearing it a day. I have the samples though. Right now you are right. I want to try Rive Gauche and some others. I have a brand new Bvlgari Aqva and I always have Burberry London for Fall and Winter. I keep talking Egoiste Platinum and enjoy it and may splurge on Colonia Intensa as a higher end fragrance. that might be my stopping point while I grow at this.
    --Ben Hogan

Listen, I know there are going to be noses on here that think the world of some of these while poopooing the others but many of these like Guerlain Vetiver, Terre d' Hermes and others are ones that I have tried multiple times with the same results. Rochas Man was another Joop to me and WAY too fruity. Eau d'Orange Verte..what can I say..my wife would laugh at me. They just aren't pleasant. I figured I would get blasted like I'm not refined enough but I consider myself to have good taste and I think many of these are reputation alone colognes. That or people are trying so hard to smell different that they miss the simplicity of "it doesn't smell that good." Just my opinion and I really appreciate yours, even if it is negative.
    ToughCool,

No worries man. Follow YOUR Nose. Everyone has an opinion on what you may like, including me. We are all going to naturally suggest things that appeal to us individually for you to try. I have tried many Serge Lutens frags (have owned 3, none now), Frederic Malle frags (have owned 3, none now), and many other niche fragrances. Don't click with them at all. I don't own a single Chanel for example too. Your nose will evolve and change for sure, but always be true to yourself here. Buy and wear only those frags that suit you and your lifestyle. Listen to what others suggest and say, but in the end...follow YOUR nose. Keep sniffing and your positive outlook and energy are refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    YSL L'Homme & Cartier - Eau de Cartier - a big thumbs up!! arent these two just amazing?!! (btw you may wanna try the concentree version of Eau de Cartier, i like tht over the original)

if you like TFFM, then you may be interested in ST Dupont Noir as well..classy frag...
    You may want to compare Eau de Cartier with Eau de Cartier Concentree. I personally like the concentree version more. They are both at Sephora.
    Great minds, you two......

YSL L'Homme was amazing and I really liked YSL Pour Homme in the past so the line has always pleased me.. Eau de Cartier...ditto. They are on the list.

Thanks for the comments on the thread Jenson. It has helped me focus my search and research and has helped me continue to force the issue with some of these. I was actually sad about Terre d Hermes. It is set up to be my kind of heavy scent and the second smelling went well. It just hit me as some deep woods this time...really heavy.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    ToughCool,

No worries man. Follow YOUR Nose. Everyone has an opinion on what you may like, including me. We are all going to naturally suggest things that appeal to us individually for you to try. I have tried many Serge Lutens frags (have owned 3, none now), Frederic Malle frags (have owned 3, none now), and many other niche fragrances. Don't click with them at all. I don't own a single Chanel for example too. Your nose will evolve and change for sure, but always be true to yourself here. Buy and wear only those frags that suit you and your lifestyle. Listen to what others suggest and say, but in the end...follow YOUR nose. Keep sniffing and your positive outlook and energy are refreshing.
    Thanks. This place is great and has been welcoming and helpful since I arrived. It is now a passion of mine and I really am just scratching the surface but it will take time to evolve with a wife and child and hopefully more children. It is going to be a patient rotation of scents. Thanks again.
    --Ben Hogan

Great minds, you two...... I really liked YSL Pour Homme in the past
    You've got good taste, don't worry, just take your time ...
    Last edited by Night; 29th July 2008 at 08:11 PM.