Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default The TC Sample of the Day Thread--I Went Haywire(9/5)

OK, I'm always looking to buy and have gotten to know some really nice people while emailing about buying or swapping but I have a hard time pulling the trigger sometimes. The one family thread about "gay" things got me thinking about image. So I am asking for your help since I'm newer here. I'm going to describe my background and you guys help by throwing out a scent that would fit. Right now I own and use Burberry London, Bvlgari Aqva, Gucci II, AdG and Corduroy. I haven't put together a wardrobe on here yey

I'm a 38 year old male who is married with an 11 month old. I am a professional, an attorney, but am in an office where it is business casual. Its a corporation. I have always worn Polo shirts or like clothes since I was younger. If not I used specialty shops like Harolds(Harold Powell in some places) in the south. Im in Houston so it is a long hot and muggy trend for a majority of months. I do not like perfumey or flowery type colognes. Basically I'm a preppy dad or a Polo guy. However I am never sold on the Polo colognes. Ideas or thoughts for a scent for me that goes with all of this?

If this is a dumb idea, ignore and it will slide away.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th September 2008 at 07:32 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants

I'm not that great with pairing fragrances with people, but I do feel I should add that this is definitely something useful. I find that someones image of oneself is the single most important factor in determining a fragrance.

Are you edgy, daring? You can probably pull off something that most others can't.
    Are you a jock? Sporty? etc.. etc..

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    I'm not that great with pairing fragrances with people, but I do feel I should add that this is definitely something useful. I find that someones image of oneself is the single most important factor in determining a fragrance.

Are you edgy, daring? You can probably pull off something that most others can't.
    Are you a jock? Sporty? etc.. etc..
    I am more sporty. I wouldn't call myself edgy at all. The golfing professional. I tried Colonia Intensa once and loved it...just on the card and thought it was masculine and great so I'm thinking that might fit me. I just wanted to know what other colognes come to mind for people with my description. I've also worn Armani scents like Mania with success.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

YSL l'Homme
    Chrome - Azzaro
    Issey Miyaki

comes to mind
    Last edited by Suppressor; 28th July 2008 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBL View Post
    YSL l'Homme
    Chrome - Azzaro

comes to mind
    Thanks. I also want to add that lately I have enjoyed a sample of Egoiste platinum so I'm not sure hwo that figure is. Seemed classy to me.
    --Ben Hogan

I'm usually the one needing advice... however here's my 2cents worth

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta has a rose note in it - although I don't find it floral - just fresh and bright.

Davidoff Cool Water is a tried-and-tested fragrance but it smells wonderful on the right people.

Chanel Egoiste - wonderful, classy and rich.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistan(ce)

I was thrown by the homonym typo in the title.. I pictured someone hired to ensure you smell your best

I can only comment on ones I've tried or owned that I think you may like that would work for Houston heat, which I'd imagine is similar to here (and I'll try to avoid overly common ones)...

Designer
    Hermès - Terre D'Hermès
    Chanel - Platinum Egoïste
    Hermès - Eau d'Orange Verte
    Lacoste - Elegance
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote
    Prada - Amber
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne
    Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Rochas - Rochas Man

Niche/Non-Designer
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Bond No. 9 - Central Park
    Bond No. 9 - Nouveau Bowery
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Fou d'Absinthe
    Lubin - Le Vetiver
    By Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    Il Profumo Café Vert
    Geir Ness - Geir
    Frederic Malle - Vétiver Extraordinaire
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Green Valley
    Cereus pour Homme No. 7
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistan(ce)

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I was thrown by the homonym typo in the title.. I pictured someone hired to ensure you smell your best

I can only comment on ones I've tried or owned that I think you may like that would work for Houston heat, which I'd imagine is similar to here (and I'll try to avoid overly common ones)...

Designer
    Hermès - Terre D'Hermès
    Chanel - Platinum Egoïste
    Hermès - Eau d'Orange Verte
    Lacoste - Elegance
    Viktor & Rolf - Antidote
    Prada - Amber
    Thierry Mugler - Mugler Cologne
    Cartier - Eau de Cartier
    Rochas - Rochas Man

Niche/Non-Designer
    Aqua di Parma Colonia
    Bond No. 9 - Central Park
    Bond No. 9 - Nouveau Bowery
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Fou d'Absinthe
    Lubin - Le Vetiver
    By Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    Il Profumo Café Vert
    Geir Ness - Geir
    Frederic Malle - Vétiver Extraordinaire
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Green Valley
    Cereus pour Homme No. 7
    Thanks. I meant to write the title that way. Like I was to employ all of you as my assistants.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post
    I'm usually the one needing advice... however here's my 2cents worth

Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta has a rose note in it - although I don't find it floral - just fresh and bright.

Davidoff Cool Water is a tried-and-tested fragrance but it smells wonderful on the right people.

Chanel Egoiste - wonderful, classy and rich.
    Thanks also. I wore Cool Water in my 20s and got nothing but rave responses. Just not sure how it would translate now. I have tried Platinum Egoiste and Intensa, not Assoluta so I'll have to look there too.
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Some suggestions:

Mugler Cologne
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Tiffany for Men
    Tom Ford for Men
    Versace l'Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    YSL Pour Homme
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th July 2008 at 06:40 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Some suggestions:

Mugler Cologne
    Eau de Cartier Concentrée
    Rive Gauche pour Homme
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    Nina Ricci Signoricci
    Tiffany for Men
    Tom Ford for Men
    Versace l'Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetyver
    YSL Pour Homme
    Prada Infusion d'Homme
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Thanks for your input also. Out of those which would you say has the best sillage? I'm not going to lie, I like to have a little of it trailing me without being overpowering.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 06:43 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Habit Rouge, Guerlain
    Jicky, Guerlain
    Pour un Homme, Caron
    English Fern, Penhaligon's
    Racquets, Penhaligon's
    Equipage, Hermes
    Pour un Homme, YSL

And if you like sandalwood, Musk from Villoresi is a must.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Thanks for your input also. Out of those which would you say has the best sillage? I'm not going to lie, I like to have a little of it trailing me without being overpowering.
    By far, Rive Gauche pour Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Habit Rouge, Guerlain *
    Jicky, Guerlain *
    Pour un Homme, Caron
    English Fern, Penhaligon's
    Racquets, Penhaligon's *
    Equipage, Hermes *
    Pour un Homme, YSL

And if you like sandalwood, Musk * from Villoresi is a must.
    * these are the ones with the nicest sillage.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

* these are the ones with the nicest sillage.
    Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    By far, Rive Gauche pour Homme.
    I've read alot about this. Seems inexpensive and I do love the barbershop smell that so many mention. I'm wondering if this would be worth a blind buy.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    ... I do love the barbershop smell ...
    Me too ... A lot !

Me too ... A lot !
    I haven't tried the aftershave but I love the shaving cream and the Clubman talc type smells walking out of there.
    --Ben Hogan

Do you like powdery fragrances ?

no no,i,m in error you`re for Tilleul D'Orsay
    Last edited by Dry_Martini; 28th July 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Do you like powdery fragrances ?
    Not always. Sometimes they are a little cloying to me if there is too much. But I like a little bit of it in the drydown. Sone i like more than others. If it is pure talc type barbershop I might like it more than some "sweeter" powder smells.

If I looked up all the stuff I have liked in the past you will see it is either a heavy type fragrance like London with tobacco, leather or other similar scents or lighter stuff like Cool Water. But I have noticed alot of Cedar in the drydowns of some I am enjoying lately.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:42 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

You should try Chevalier d'Orsay definitely. Go read the reviews on this one and you will get the idea. Just a beautiful, masculine frag that doesn't shout, but is always there. Classy, refined, but still for a sporting fella.
    Also Vintage Tabarome - Creed, Creed - Original Vetiver, and Fou d'Absinthe come to mind.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 28th July 2008 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You should try Chevalier d'Orsay definitely. Go read the reviews on this one and you will get the idea. Just a beautiful, masculine frag that doesn't shout, but is always there. Classy, refined, but still for a sporting fellow.

Also Vintage Tabarome - Creed, Creed - Original Vetiver, and Fou d'Absinthe come to mind.
    That sounds up my alley and I like what I read. I also have read about Vintage Tabarome and am interested since I have been in favor of some heavy scents before that are a little more Winter/Fall. Again, it may seem to some reading this that I'm all over the place but I'm developibng as I go and never expanded much beyond my Versaces and Armanis over the years. So I am thinking of things..such as the barbershop...that might translate since I have never thought about it before.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:47 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

And do you have names in mind ?
    Also, which are the fragrances you like on women ?

And do you have names in mind ?
    Also, which are the fragrances you like on women ?
    I'll put it this way. I'm not a Kouros type guy. I liked Lagerfeld as a teen. I just know it when I smell it.

Another thing. I'm not going to be the guy with 20 colognes. With a wife who thinks this is funny and a child I'm trying to round my collection to 5 or so that I can be versatile with. I know Burberry London will be one because she loves it and it has special meaning to us. But the selling and collecting now is a journey for me to find more.

I used to have a girlfriend that wore Mackie for women and I though the sillage from that was heavenly. I can still catch it now if someone walks by.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 07:55 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

We haven't got the same culture and the same perfume references which makes the thing quite difficult for me. For example, I have never heard of Mackie before.

Do you have the possibility to test the ones we mentioned ? If you choose 5 frags, take you time to try them on your skin and to live with them during a few days. Wearing a scent is more than a nice smell, you need to feel well with it, confident and happy.

I don't know what you look like (hair color, size, eyes colour, carnation), but I would go for 6 very different fragrances like for example Musk fom Villoresi (sandalwood, geranium bourbon, musk), Habit Rouge (citruses, aromatics, powdery), Ambre Sultan (amber, woods, dried fruits and spices), Equipage (oakmoss), a leathery one (Cuir de Russie, Cuir Mauresque, Imperial Leather, etc.) and maybe one with lavender but I don't know which one is the best. Caron Maybe.

Ca you receive samples from abroad in the US or your customs are still fussy with liquids ?

Others will come with more ideas, I'm sure.

We haven't got the same culture and the same perfume references which makes the thing quite difficult for me. For example, I have never heard of Mackie before.

Do you have the possibility to test the ones we mentioned ? If you choose 5 frags, take you time to try them on your skin and to live with them during a few days. Wearing a scent is more than a nice smell, you need to feel well with it, confident and happy.

I don't know what you look like (hair color, size, eyes colour, carnation), but I would go for 6 very different fragrances like for example Musk fom Villoresi (sandalwood, geranium bourbon, musk), Habit Rouge (citruses, aromatics, powdery), Ambre Sultan (amber, woods, dried fruits and spices), Equipage (oakmoss), a leathery one (Cuir de Russie, Cuir Mauresque, Imperial Leather, etc.) and maybe one with lavender but I don't know which one is the best. Caron Maybe.

Ca you receive samples from abroad in the US or your customs are still fussy with liquids ?

Others will come with more ideas, I'm sure.
    I can try out alot of the ones we have talked about. I like your thinking though of picking 5 distinct fragrances. I'll try and research some more. It seems the further in I get, the more confused I get because I think I have a direction and then I'll back off. But thanks for the ideas
    Last edited by ToughCool; 28th July 2008 at 08:27 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

The problem is that you might end up loving all theses scents and the emotions generated by some of them ... Let me know if there are things you cannot find at all. I have 140 bottles at home from which I can make samples.

The problem is that you might end up loving all theses scents and the emotions generated by some of them ... Let me know if there are things you cannot find at all. I have 140 bottles at home from which I can make samples.
    Thank you again. You have bene very generous and nice. I probably will love them all. My real problem is that I have hit a point where no matter what I like I'm always looking or smelling for the next best thing so I'm eating up all the info on this site. I just need to go a little at a time.
    --Ben Hogan

Hate to add to the suggestion overload but, maybe Gendarme, Geir, or Hugh Parsons Traditional(blue bottle) would be good office, preppy, clean, non-edgy scents. I have Gendarme and Hugh Parsons and think they are both good for the office or casual settings. Very clean but not aquatice scents. Also just to add, Rive Gauche is (some say barbershop smelling) clean with good longevity.

Sean John Unforgivable. its crisp, sparkling just like champange, fresh thruout with a really sexy drydown. 6-7 sprays should do it with 2 of it on shirt..

Rive Gauche and Chanel Allure homme sport would tie in second based on your description. my two cents...