Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants-WITH TESTING UPDATE

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    You've got good taste, don't worry, just take your time ...
    Thanks!!

I'm going to throw out a quick update to the update too.

I blasted Dior Homme because of the smell I couldn't get out of my head. I just checked the reviews and Sir Slarty nailed it. LIPSTICK. I kept thinking rubber or glue or something but it is the waxy, lipstick smell and I kept telling the girl over and over that I knew it was something. Not good. YSL L'Homme blew this away.

Also, I tried a blow torch to get the Vetiver off and it is still there but a washed down version is much better 3 hours later. Still not a fan but it is muted and alot better/

I didn't want to upset the holy trinity of some cologne worlds with my Terre and Vetiver negatives but I did take a quick journey with Eau Savage too and didn't even want to try and give a review off one blast. I got the citrus bomb but must try it on myself.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 08:20 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    Thanks!!

I'm going to throw out a quick update to the update too.

I blasted Dior Homme because of the smell I couldn't get out of my head. I just checked the reviews and Sir Slarty nailed it. LIPSTICK. I kept thinking rubber or glue or something but it is the waxy, lipstick smell and I kept telling the girl over and over that I knew it was something. Not good. YSL L'Homme blew this away.
    im soooo tempted to defend Dior Homme but, let time be the best judge and heres me hoping you would come back one day shouting on top of ur guts tht its one of the best ..oops..did i end up defending?

confession: i used to say the same thing about Dior Homme when i was first introduced to it in a mall...i thought it smelled like the inside of a ladies purse...but..tht ver same evening..6 hours after..i changed my mind...wht changed it? well you oughta find it out.. ohhh..jeez cant i just keep my mouth shut...
    Last edited by jenson; 29th July 2008 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    im soooo tempted to defend Dior Homme but, let time be the best judge and heres me hoping you would come back one day shouting on top of ur guts tht its one of the best ..oops..did i end up defending?

confession: i used to say the same thing about Dior Homme when i was first introduced to it in a mall...i thought it smelled like the inside of a ladies purse...but..tht ver same evening..6 hours after..i changed my mind...wht changed it? well you oughta find it out.. ohhh..jeez cant i just keep my mouth shut...
    I will give it a full on try with some good sprays and drydown but it seems the reviews split along the same lines so at least I know it isn't me.. the inside of a purse is perfect.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Sur la Plage

Do you think you don't like vetiver fragrances in general? Have you tried any others then the Guerlains?

If you want to try some others, I would suggest Givenchy Vetyver, Comme des Garcons Vettiveru and L'Occitane Vetyver.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Do you think you don't like vetiver fragrances in general? Have you tried any others then the Guerlains?

If you want to try some others, I would suggest Givenchy Vetyver, Comme des Garcons Vettiveru and L'Occitane Vetyver.
    I haven't tried any others and there is something about them that is PUSHING me to keep trying...maybe it is the citrus or the pepper or the zest or whatever I get in parts of it that seems like it should work. I have the two samples and I'm determined to see. I keep seeing a big green bottle and thinking "wow, that should be refreshing" but all 3 times I have gotten harsh to start...with the exception of a more citrus note in Sport...and then middle area where I can't take it. Like right now the drydown isn't horrible but I can't imagine having it all over my body. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 09:00 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Vetiver is like Patchouli or Aldehydes, it takes some time to appreciate them.
    I still have tremendous difficulties with some of these materials.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Sur la Plage

I haven't tried any others and there is something about them that is PUSHING me to keep trying...maybe it is the citrus or the pepper or the zest or whatever I get in parts of it that seems like it should work. I have the two samples and I'm determined to see. I keep seeing a big green bottle and thinking "wow, that should be refreshing" but all 3 times I have gotten harsh to start...with the exception of a more citrus note in Sport...and then middle area where I can't take it. Like right now the drydown isn't horrible but I can't imagine having it all over my body. Does that ake sense?
    You may like the Comme des Garcons Vettiveru then. I think it is very refreshing - and not very expensive. The 125ml bottle is $52 on Luckyscent.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You may like the Comme des Garcons Vettiveru then. I think it is very refreshing - and not very expensive. The 125ml bottle is $52 on Luckyscent.
    I may have to check that out. Again, thanks for the good advice.
    --Ben Hogan

Morning Star

I'm soooo tempted to defend Dior Homme
    Dior Homme doesn't need defending. It just smells damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Dior Homme doesn't need defending. It just smells damned good.
    ...........for a Revlon Lipstick
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

...........for a Revlon Lipstick
    Lipstick sounds like a fair comparison to me, I never made the connection before but I did find an alien, waxy sort of note in it that just left me feeling truly uncomfortable and awkward wearing it.

This has been a great read, we have a ton in common as tastes go. F the haters that don't like Unforgivable because Sean John is the face for it; it's a wonderfully balanced fragrance and I think you'll be rather pleased with a bottle of your own. I'm glad you like Platinum Egoiste! It is the most elegant fragrance in my wardrobe, it screams wealth and sophistication and money, but politely.

Get you a sample of Terre d'Hermes and set it aside for a month or two. Don't think or worry about it, I struck it off my list no less than three times and I'm still happy with my purchase of a bottle. What finally did it for me was smelling it on another person and admitting that it was a really cool fragrance. I did the same thing with M7 by YSL, the only difference is I still don't quite get it. I have another half a milliliter to decide with.

I'm not much for vetiver frags, I own Mugler Cologne only because of a strong scent memory tied with it; I find Green Irish Tweed disgusting (how's that for an instant Basenotes outcast comment? ) That said, I want to say there's a Hermes boutique near you, or if not you can call the closest one and ask for a sample of Hermessence Vetiver Tonka, it wont cost you anything to sample and has been the only palatable vetiver for me, probably because it uses it in a rather unique way. Some people just aren't gonna dig vetiver, at the moment I'd consider myself among them.

I don't see a big selection of spicier fragrances so here's a couple along those lines to try at your convenience, Ralph Lauren Romance Silver, Gucci Pour Homme, L'Occitane Eau de L'Occitane, Hermessence Poivre Samarcande, the Comme des Garcons Series 2 Red line has several spicy ones, Dior Fahrenheit, and on a separate note, L'Occitane Notre Flore Cedre (my love affair at the moment, a camphorous cedar that projects well and dries down to a tobacco base).

Keep us updated! Good thread.

-Daniel
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Daniel, thanks for the info. I also will update my Unforgivable review. Platinum Egoiste will be a future buy but right now I'm getting ahead of myself. Here is an update over the last 24hours

After work I was meeting my wife's sister and brother and their spouses and kids for dinner. So I showered and decided to go full out Unforgivable. The citrus beginning was very nice and right away it started turning into the cashmere I believe with a little bit of sweetness that I assume was the fruit. I really enjoyed it. The problem started an hour later. The drydown was nice and warm. But in less than 2 hours I could barely tell it was on me. It also changed to a lighter scent compared to the smooth and sweet middle notes. I enjoyed the experience and give it a thumbs up but I don't see a purchase in the future due to the lasting power. I haven't tried the Creeds or whatever it is compared to so I'm on my own here. I still think some of the hate is due to the celeb and the comparisons to Creed.

Today for work I put on YSL L'Homme. This is a love/hate now. With it on one arm yesterday I loved it. Smooth, sweet, fresh. Today with a full wardrobe of it on, I was a little taken aback by the "perfume" or feminine nature of it. The scent was still nice and the drydown...2 hours in is pleasant. But getting here was almost a headache......I only spray wrists, chest, neck lightly. I am still a fan of this but it will be passed over because I think it is too much on the fem side for me. I think the difference btwn this and say Platinum Egoiste is they both have a classiness but Platinum Egoiste stops short of going too far and stays very masculine but sensual.

I also have my first blind buy. I got a 2.5 of Rive Gauche on ebay from a good buyer for $14.75. I've used them before and trust it.

I also have a suprise buy for later that will expand my foray into this obsession.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th July 2008 at 04:44 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

damn that....i dont like unforgivable for one reason only.....i think the citrus note is as synthetic as it gets....it in no way feels like MI to me...and i had unforgivable before i bought MI.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    damn that....i dont like unforgivable for one reason only.....i think the citrus note is as synthetic as it gets....it in no way feels like MI to me...and i had unforgivable before i bought MI.
    That is why I put "some" and empasized it. I don't own and never have tested the others to make a comparison. It just seems that it is a pretty innocent scent to get so much hate that I've read elsewhere.
    --Ben Hogan

TC, appreciate your selection process and patience! btw thts some nice deal on Rive Gauche you have there! do keep us posted on your findings on other scents!

TC, appreciate your selection process and patience! btw thts some nice deal on Rive Gauche you have there! do keep us posted on your findings on other scents!
    I know I am excited about the Rive Gauche. The seller had about 1100 points. I've used them before and I only use ebay when I study it. I'll check it daily and see what deals are about to end. Some just want to make sales so their bids will be low. I did the same with a 5.1 of Hugo. I didn't use it but once but resold it for more and at least got to try it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th July 2008 at 06:03 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

I don't normally have longevity issues with Unforgivable though the heat right now is gonna take it's toll on anything you wear. The Creed you see it frequently compared to is Millesime Imperial, anyone here will admit that Unforgivable is a pretty blatant copy, but I also think that 95% of the Basenoters (that haven't lived with both) aren't going to be able to tell the difference. I don't think I ever conciously compared the citrus notes so acceptfacts may have a point. Nonetheless with my bottle of Unforgivable I have no desire to also own MI.

If you're love/hate with a fragrance I strongly recommend starting with a decant of it instead of buying a full bottle, with a decant you'll have enough to wear several times and if you end up not liking it you're not out anything, where if you do like it you can always buy the bottle later.

And yeah you got a good deal on Rive Gauche. Congrats on that.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

I know I am excited about the Rive Gauche
    I did the blind buy with Rive Gauche as well, and it is my absolute favorite. At first, I though I'd bought a repulsive stinker, but I adore it now. I also bought it on Ebay, and as long as you know who you are dealing with, in terms of reliability , it should go well.

Thanks bluesoul. I'll take your advice to heart.

WELL!!The last 24 hours has been a basenotes whirlwind but I made another dent. I just purchased Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa from another basenoter. 1.7 ounces. I'm beyond excited as this was a goal scent. Not only did I get that but they threw in samples for:

Amouage Silver
    Floris JF
    Montale Royal Aoud
    MPG Santal Noble
    MPG Parfums D'Habit
    MPG Garrigue
    Carthusia Uomo
    AdP Colonia
    AdP Assoluta
    Chanel Allure Cologne Blanche
    Tom Ford Black Orchid (for my wife)

We have been working this out for a few weeks now. I don't want to embarass them but I really want to thank EBEAR. One of the nicest people you could meet in life. Patient and really a genuine person wanting to work with me and help me get farther in the niche world. Cheers to you buddy

If you add in the Rive Gauche, the samples from yesterday(Vetiver, Vetiver Sport, Unforgiveable, John Varvatos, TSL L'Homme and Platinum Egoiste) and above, I'll be busy for a long, long time and finally able to take my time with this.

I also want to thank Joe(petruccijc) and others who have written from Houston like bbBD and all of the people in this thread ..ALL of you..for being so nice and into my joy about this. Great place.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th July 2008 at 08:03 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Also, this afternoon was a slow experiment with John Varvatos on one upper arm and Tom Ford on the other. Both are similar in ways with the leather and all. the more they drydown though the more I like Varvatos. Tom Ford has turned almost unisex over the day and is almost, dare I say, powdery on my skin right now. The sweetness that was powerful and out there with Varvatos is now the herb and leather that smells nice and rich. I liked Ford better at the beginning.
    --Ben Hogan

Oh, such nice words! I am indeed embarrassed... and flattered. Many thanks - it has been a pleasure PMing with you!

Very nice thread, some excellent advice here. My nose has certainly changed over the past couple of years. Some scents I was not wild about at first, like Dior Homme and M7, have become staples. Other Basenotes favorites, such as Terre de Hermes and Guerlain's Vetiver, still do nothing for me. And others again, like the Montale Aouds, are still works in progress, so to speak.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the samples. I'm especially curious as to how you'll like Santal Noble. It is unquestionably one of my never-ever-want-to-be-without scents. Phenomenal stuff once you get past the ever so slight gym sock opening.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Duc de Vervins, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme, Bentley Intense; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), LIDGE, Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Also, this afternoon was a slow experiment with John Varvatos on one upper arm and Tom Ford on the other. Both are similar in ways with the leather and all. the more they drydown though the more I like Varvatos. Tom Ford has turned almost unisex over the day and is almost, dare I say, powdery on my skin right now. The sweetness that was powerful and out there with Varvatos is now the herb and leather that smells nice and rich. I liked Ford better at the beginning.
    interesting, have you given Burberry London a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by ebear View Post

Oh, such nice words! I am indeed embarrassed... and flattered. Many thanks - it has been a pleasure PMing with you!

Very nice thread, some excellent advice here. My nose has certainly changed over the past couple of years. Some scents I was not wild about at first, like Dior Homme and M7, have become staples. Other Basenotes favorites, such as Terre de Hermes and Guerlain's Vetiver, still do nothing for me. And others again, like the Montale Aouds, are still works in progress, so to speak.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the samples. I'm especially curious as to how you'll like Santal Noble. It is unquestionably one of my never-ever-want-to-be-without scents. Phenomenal stuff once you get past the ever so slight gym sock opening.
    I'm sure, from what I just read on the reviews it is something I'll enjoy trying...hopefully. I'll definitely keep this thread moving as all of these are tested weeks at a time. Thanks again for your kindness. It was a good time PM'ing.
    --Ben Hogan

interesting, have you given Burberry London a shot?
    It is in my rotation and will never leave. It is a mainstay in my Fall/Winter wear and was specifically picked in 2006 to wear on my wedding day and on the honeymoon in Italy. It is one that drives the wife nuts. It represents what I love in scents.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th July 2008 at 08:44 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

It is in my rotation and will never leave. It is a mainstay in my Fall/Winter wear and was specifically picked in 2006 to wear on my wedding day and on the honeymoon in Italy. It is one that drives the wife nuts. It represents what I love in scents.
    awesome!! tht one is just fantastic!! im sure Varvatos will grab your attention although, try not compare it with London.

well seems ur gettign there! will be interesting to see what u choose in the end!

awesome!! tht one is just fantastic!! im sure Varvatos will grab your attention although, try not compare it with London.

well seems ur gettign there! will be interesting to see what u choose in the end!
    I have alot of time it seems with the stuff ebear added to sample with the Colonia Intensa,,,which I had sampled and loved.

It is fantastic. We went to the Amalfi Coast, Tuscany and Venice. It was October so the days and nights in Tuscany were so awesome. Our place overlooked this vineyard and you could smell the vines burning in the distance at night. After driving all day to small towns you'd return to the patio to watch sunset with wine. It would go from warm almost to really cold and 40s and 50s. Everytime I wear it it reminds me of there.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 30th July 2008 at 08:52 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants-VETIVER UPDATE(7/31)

So after all my moaning about Vetiver I decided to be bold today and just wear it. Not the Sport but the Guerlain Vetiver. And this short story should be called "Baby Steps". Apparently I've done a 90...not to 180 yet. Here is what I did....right out of the shower I took the sample spray and did a tiny spray to the chest and one to the wrist...that's it. Surprisingly, the bug spray nausea that got me before was not there and it was a quick, citrus and pepper smell that was nice. As I got ready to leave the house my arm kept raising to my nose and I really enjoyed the Pepper, which is what surprised me before, because I should have liked it. In the car I made one more quick squirt to the neck. So far it has been an hour and a half and the the whole progression is much more linear that it was before. The only thing that was nice was there was almost a powedert/pepper middle for me and now it is the spikey/pepper that kind of made me get a headache the first time. So this is big time progress. Sport is definitely a nono because it had some kind of accord that was sickening to me.

If you want an explantation for today's smell it is "Dad's 70s Vibe with a Pepper Kicker." Not too bad even thought it is still a little much for my liking. I think in moderation it would work on me. I doubt I'd buy this anytime soon but I am happy that I got to try it on its own without other scents interferring and taking away from the progresion.
    --Ben Hogan

How the hell do you do to change your title everyday ?

I like reading you.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

How the hell do you do to change your title everyday ?

I like reading you.
    You go to the main one and press "edit" and then it gives you three options of "Save" Go Advanced" and "Cancel." Go Advanced lets you completely change the title and add smileys and all.

Thank you. Glad you like the thoughts.
    --Ben Hogan

You've got a hundred or so recommendations - a little daunting! Sounds like you have liked Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa when you tried it. This is a perfect fragrance for you. It is ultra fresh and a very contemporary take on the AdP traditional eau de cologne. The light and fresh aspect of this one will work great in Houston where you really something to cut the heat - Intensa is great for that. I really like it here in Oklahoma where the summer heat is a similar problem.

Some others like Intensa that might be worth trying are Le Labo Rose 31 or Le Labo Vetiver 46. Both have that fresh cutting fresh bite that Intensa has but add some incense notes + vetiver/woods or rose/frankincense/oud notes. I don't know if Le Labo has a shop in Houston or not but many of their fragrances migjht work for you.

OK, so I just tried Hugh Parsons in Ulta. I'm completely confused. Went on fresh and nice. Real light. Middle was horribly sickening like the fleur d lis just grew on my arm..like a woman...now it is a cross between the middle and a leathery/woodsy note. Too much for me.
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants- Platinum Egoiste(8/1)

Today is one I've worn as a smaple before and dedicated a thread too

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...light=platinum

All I can say is Platinum Egoiste.....heavenly, class, rich. Stuff if incredible to me

I know, go ahead TC and buy a bottle already. Not yet
    --Ben Hogan

Yeah you should love those samples that he sent you. Fragrance is a wonderful thing, but it takes time because there are so many brands out there (especially when you go into niche). Try from the houses of Amouage, Creed, Montale, L'Artisan, and Frederick Malle - They all put their stamp on their fragrances. From Amouage, I'm sure you will love the silver that you're getting. Also, Dia and Jubilation are great. Try as much as you can from Montale - The quality of the house is just amazing. Some great ones are Black Aoud, Lime Aoud, Golden Aoud, Attar, Patchouli Leaves, Red Aoud, and Damascus.

Nothing to read today ...
    Are you on strike ?

Blog Entries

LOL, give the man a break and let him explore all the crap people have been sending him.

And yes, go ahead and buy PE. You're gonna keep on liking it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Nothing to read today ...
    Are you on strike ?

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    LOL, give the man a break and let him explore all the crap people have been sending him.

And yes, go ahead and buy PE. You're gonna keep on liking it.

Sorry, today has consisted of mowing the lawn in the heat and humidity and I just took a nap with my wife and little girl. Wearing Bvlgari Aqva today. Fits the day

I saw my Rive Gauche arived at my work address so that will be reviewed for the first time, blind, Monday!!
    --Ben Hogan

Platinum Egoiste is a good choice.

Prada Amber pour homme is superb if you like classy and barbershop.

Castile by Penhaligons is great too.

For the fall/winter go fo Elixir the new Penhaligon's frag. It's quite simply divine.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

You should really try rive gauche now.
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Apparently, he ordered it.

Apparently, he ordered it.
    So today I got the package at work. Rive Gauche. I'm excited so I haven't give a complete blow by blow but it has been on about 10 minutes. It is definitely barbershop to me. Its a mix of a nice powder and shaving cream to start. At this moment it is starting to sweeten a little. It seems like it would be a great weekend or laid back fragrance. My only problem is that it is early and I am getting a bit of cloying to it. As I just took another sniff it almost seems to be getting stronger. I get a hint of lime..maybe it is because it reminds me of the lime time shaving creams but with some spice. Its funny because I read the reviews and the start that many people got, I didn't..again, powder and spice and shaving cream. I do get the Vetiver because of trying Guerlains Vetiver. Luckily not as strong here. I hope this doesn't come off wrong but it reminds me of the cheaper 70s type fragrances but I mean that in a good way. Like a Dad smell. Right now the sweet note is luckily toning the spicey one down where it isn't as cloying. I'll update but right now I like it but am a little afraid of what it will do to my head.

Also, I was afraid when I received this that I had been ripped off and that there wasn't much in the can but it hadn't been sprayed as I had to prime it to get it out later. Light can and all.

EDIT: At an hour this stuff is exactly what I expected but I don't think I could pull it off. I asked a woman in my office to smell and she said it smelled like Brut and older man. It is nice but this may be my only attempt.

Anyone in the market for some Rive Gauche?
    Last edited by ToughCool; 4th August 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants- RIVE GAUCHE (8/4)

Oops, I nearly missed your thread, it was all the way down onto my screen ...
    It's funny, I didn't catch the notes you are evocatingn maybe because I tested it only once (in a hurry) and got rid of if immediately.

Are there different sorts, different concentrations ? I don't know much about men cologne unfortunately.

Do you already know what which one you will go for tomorrow ? Do you think you could find 10 mn in your timetable for Equipage, Hermès ? The older version, the beigy/creamy box, not the new one ? Please ...

Default Re: Personal Cologne Assistants- JOHN VARVATOS(8/5)

Today is John Varvatos. More of a Fall/Winter scent, so I thought but it is working on me really nicely right now. I am really enjoying it. I read the reviews and my progession has been a little more linear than some. Yes I got a sweet initial burst but nothing that alarmed me. From there it has dreid down into a creamy leather and wood. Not powdery at all but just sweet enough to be sexy with little hints of leather sneaking through. I rreally enjoy it on my skin and this is one I could easily own. It seems effortless as to how it works and I could see this being a hit without trying very hard.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th August 2008 at 03:13 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Today is John Varvatos. More of a Fall/Winter sscent, so I thought but it is working on me really nicely right now. I am really enjoying it. I read the reviews and my progession has been a little more linear than some. Yes I got a sweet initial burst but nothing that alarmed me. From there it has dreid down into a creamy leather and wood. Not powdery at all but just sweet enough to be sexy with little hints of leather sneaking through. I rreally enjoy it on my skin and this is one I could easily own. It seems effortless as to how it works and I could see this being a hit without trying very hard.
    the regular Varvatos is OK....but you gotta try Varvatos Vintage...it is FANTASTIC.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    the regular Varvatos is OK....but you gotta try Varvatos Vintage...it is FANTASTIC.
    That is what I have heard..a little more manly, etc from the readings. I'll check it out.
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    I second that. The first couple of times I tried Vintage, I just didn't get it. It doesn't smell smoky in the sense that Platinum Egoiste does, yet it has a certain smoked tobacco/incense ash quality along with dried fruit and some florals. Goes on unusual, but dries down to something really good. When I smell it, I visualize an old general store in the 1800's where there are herbs hanging on strings, jars of tobacco, horehound and cinnamon rock candy and leather goods. Vintage indeed.

So today I got the package at work. Rive Gauche.

EDIT: At an hour this stuff is exactly what I expected but I don't think I could pull it off. I asked a woman in my office to smell and she said it smelled like Brut and older man. It is nice but this may be my only attempt.

Anyone in the market for some Rive Gauche?

Make sure you give this multiple attempts over a few weeks - it took me a few wears to 'get it', and now that I do I'm hooked. I also thought it was waaay too strong the first couple times I wore it, but now that I know it - especially in the context of being a YSL creation - that impression has softened and I see it as a bold, masculine creation.

Random side note - yesterday my fiancee pulled an unused 15ml Rive Gauche mini-can out of her cosmetic collection. She's had since long before we met, receiving it as part of YSL sample pack years ago. She had no idea what it was until I was talking about it and she then made the connection.

That is what I have heard..a little more manly, etc from the readings. I'll check it out.

Don't let the opening notes throw you off. Otherwise, it is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Make sure you give this multiple attempts over a few weeks - it took me a few wears to 'get it', and now that I do I'm hooked. I also thought it was waaay too strong the first couple times I wore it, but now that I know it - especially in the context of being a YSL creation - that impression has softened and I see it as a bold, masculine creation.

Random side note - yesterday my fiancee pulled an unused 15ml Rive Gauche mini-can out of her cosmetic collection. She's had since long before we met, receiving it as part of YSL sample pack years ago. She had no idea what it was until I was talking about it and she then made the connection.
    Well looks like I'm going to have to try it long from now because it is sold and gone. Maybe I'll figure it out sometime. Probably too impatient.
    --Ben Hogan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    ... yet it has a certain smoked tobacco/incense ash quality along with dried fruit and some florals. Goes on unusual, but dries down to something really good. When I smell it, I visualize an old general store in the 1800's where there are herbs hanging on strings, jars of tobacco, horehound and cinnamon rock candy and leather goods. Vintage indeed.
    haha. that is a great description, maaaan.

Thanks bluesoul. I'll take your advice to heart.

WELL!!The last 24 hours has been a basenotes whirlwind but I made another dent. I just purchased Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa from another basenoter. 1.7 ounces. I'm beyond excited as this was a goal scent. Not only did I get that but they threw in samples for:

Amouage Silver
    Floris JF
    Montale Royal Aoud
    MPG Santal Noble
    MPG Parfums D'Habit
    MPG Garrigue
    Carthusia Uomo
    AdP Colonia
    AdP Assoluta

We have been working this out for a few weeks now. I don't want to embarass them but I really want to thank EBEAR. One of the nicest people you could meet in life. Patient and really a genuine person wanting to work with me and help me get farther in the niche world. Cheers to you buddy

Well I'm beyond fired up right now. I got ebears package. What a basenoter!!I got my Colonia Intensa and right now it has been on 10 minutes. Citrus and nice to start. then you open up and there is

Amouage Silver
    Floris JF
    Montale Royal Aoud
    MPG Santal Noble
    MPG Parfums D'Habit
    MPG Garrigue
    Carthusia Uomo
    AdP Colonia
    AdP Assoluta

AND he threw in

MPG Grain de Plaisir
    Parfums de Nicolaï Balle de Match
    Baldessarini Ambré
    Creed Spring Flower

AWESOME!!Time for a scent for the day
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne- Scent Today- AdP COLONIA INTENSA(8/7)

So the Colonia Intensa has basically exceeded expectations on my skin and is great. It dried down into this classy scent. You feel like you are the most sophisticated man out there when wearing this. It started off with definite citrus for me. Lemony in a way. It then settled down into a woodsy, leathery, yet subtle scent that screams class. I love it. Everyone should try this.

Samples I tried from ebear. I am putting on a couple a day or maybe wearing a full one to take it slow and see what I think. Today we have

Montale Royal Oud--Oh DEAR LORD!!Strong. I thought I was getting drunk the first alcohol induced minute and then it turned into an incecticide type smell. I'm not sure what to think of that.

Floris JF--Zesty and Citrus. Lemon peels. Pleasant but really lemony. Dried down to a more subtle scent. Not sure if I would buy this but it was a good try and a different scent.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 7th August 2008 at 06:31 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne- Scent Today- AdP COLONIA INTENSA(8/7)

Today I'm upper arm sampling two more. Carthusia Uomo and Allure Homme Edition Blanche,

Carthusia Uomo--Loving this one!!Starts out as a quick aquatic Drakkar. That leaves in 30 seconds into somethign drier and frutier and then the drydown..not sure how to explain it but I love it and it is good!! The drydown is a light, woody scent. The fruitiness, what small amount I detected real quick isn't the big bnote for me. Its the drydown of rosewood, I'm assuming. Masculine to me. I giev it an A

Allure Homme Edition Blanche- Not liking this one. Too lemony. Too over-citrusy. I hate to use a basenotes nono in reviews but it just is plainly not anything special There is nothing here to write about. Not good.

I'll update as the develop more but that is it for now.
    --Ben Hogan

Default Re: Personal Cologne- Scent Today- Carthusia Uomo and Allure Homme Edition Blanche(8/

ToughCool, you're having quite an adventure, I'm just getting caught up reading it!

I notice you don't have or haven't tried many really spicy fragrances, maybe due to the heat? If you're looking for a good versatile spicy frag as one of your 5, one I would suggest that I think does well in the heat is Montana Parfum D'Homme (comes in a red box).
    This one is dry, spicy/peppery and complex, lasts a good long time on me, nice sillage too. Easy to find online and very reasonably priced. It doesn't dry down to a sweet or heavy base either, it stays vigorous. Intuitively, I also think it would fit your lifestyle pretty well.

Default Re: Personal Cologne- Scent Today- Carthusia Uomo and Allure Homme Edition Blanche(8/

Quote Originally Posted by arlecchino View Post
    ToughCool, you're having quite an adventure, I'm just getting caught up reading it!

I notice you don't have or haven't tried many really spicy fragrances, maybe due to the heat? If you're looking for a good versatile spicy frag as one of your 5, one I would suggest that I think does well in the heat is Montana Parfum D'Homme (comes in a red box).
    This one is dry, spicy/peppery and complex, lasts a good long time on me, nice sillage too. Easy to find online and very reasonably priced. It doesn't dry down to a sweet or heavy base either, it stays vigorous. Intuitively, I also think it would fit your lifestyle pretty well.
    Actually I love spicy but you are right, the Houston weather makes it not too wearable right now. I like stuff like Burberry London but only Fall and Winter. Thanks for the suggestion

I quick follow up. the 6 hours of drydown now has made me really like Carthusia Uomo. I'm not sure what it does on others but it is familiar and is a sweet woodiness to me that is awesome.
    --Ben Hogan

I'm still liking Carthusia Uomo as well. For a first day, it's been a good experience. Hopefully the missus will enjoy it this evening! I had to pour it on though; I used about a dozen sprays. It's barely noticeable 8 hours later. It is very much like an eighties power scent but in a muted form. Maybe like a Francesco Smalto "Light" version.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm still liking Carthusia Uomo as well. For a first day, it's been a good experience. Hopefully the missus will enjoy it this evening! I had to pour it on though; I used about a dozen sprays. It's barely noticeable 8 hours later. It is very much like an eighties power scent but in a muted form. Maybe like a Francesco Smalto "Light" version.
    Yeah there is something about the drydown that I can't out my finger on but that is EXACTLY like something from a ways back. I am not sure if I will buy it but I love the sample right now.

I also want to say that when I went to Sephora earlier I had them make a sample of Dior Homme so I could see for myself what I'm missing and what I might have gotten wrong before. Still lipstick and smells like a female perfume, not a cologne. Not a fan.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 8th August 2008 at 07:38 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Dior Homme was a big hit for me in cold weather. My wife adores it and one of my church buddies really dug it on me. I haven't reached for it since April, probably.

The way Burberry London works for you is the way Dior Homme works for me.

Default Re: Personal Cologne- Scent Today- POLO DOUBLE BLACK(8/9)

After a motning of yard work I took a shower and decided to use my Double Black sample. Its been about 2 hours. I can honestly say..ho-hum. I get no coffee at all. In fact I got one scent throughout and it was this constantly sweet and soft note. Overall this isn't bad. It smells ok or good I guess but it has already started to fade and really wasn't anything to write home about. Maybe that will change but right now that is all I have.
    --Ben Hogan

ToughCool, our "Chevalier à la quête du Graal"
    Haven't tested Equipage from Hermès yet ?

thousands to choose from !
    btw .. the title makes no sense really ..
    Perhaps you have considered changing it to something appropriate ... if so
    > hit edit on your initial starting post then advanced & go from their ..
    Good luck choosing a frag , if it doesn't sink you may have a few hundred more potential candidates to bamboozle you .
    Last edited by Dimitrios; 10th August 2008 at 02:10 AM. Reason: typo

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43