Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Personal Cologne- Scent Today- POLO DOUBLE BLACK(8/9)

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    After a motning of yard work I took a shower and decided to use my Double Black sample. Its been about 2 hours. I can honestly say..ho-hum. I get no coffee at all. In fact I got one scent throughout and it was this constantly sweet and soft note. Overall this isn't bad. It smells ok or good I guess but it has already started to fade and really wasn't anything to write home about. Maybe that will change but right now that is all I have.
    You'll never find much support for RL fragrances on BN, but I tend to like them. I'm surprised you're not enjoying, I always found it unique. The coffee isn't prominent, but it's definitely blended into the mix. Polo Black, its predecessor, is definitely more sharp but less rich. Black has a distinct top ("ice mango" they call it) that quickly evaporates into a fairly spicy patchouli accord. As with everything, it's worth putting down for a few days and then re-exploring with a new nose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    You'll never find much support for RL fragrances on BN, but I tend to like them. I'm surprised you're not enjoying, I always found it unique. The coffee isn't prominent, but it's definitely blended into the mix. Polo Black, its predecessor, is definitely more sharp but less rich. Black has a distinct top ("ice mango" they call it) that quickly evaporates into a fairly spicy patchouli accord. As with everything, it's worth putting down for a few days and then re-exploring with a new nose.
    I think my problem is that I'm missing the coffee in it. But I also have had scent overload so I'm going to take a break and just wear my normal stuff for a week and rest the sniffer...though I'm itching to buy some GIT or something after selling all the rest. I already got the Colonia Intensa.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 11th August 2008 at 01:23 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    thousands to choose from !
    btw .. the title makes no sense really ..
    Perhaps you have considered changing it to something appropriate ... if so
    > hit edit on your initial starting post then advanced & go from their ..
    Good luck choosing a frag , if it doesn't sink you may have a few hundred more potential candidates to bamboozle you .
    I have changed it daily for the scent I'm wearing...it has just adjusted since it was origianlly a help me thread...lol
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The TC Sample of the Day Thread--L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme INTENSE (8/13)

I took a few days off to let the nose rest. Didn't test anything. I am having some headaches and reactions to some of the more potent niche ones. So today I went into Ulta and withotu smelling much took a bunch of cards, wrote down some and sprayed. After letting them sit I picked one to wear back to work...I wasn't wearing anything yet. Here are some reactions

L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme INTENSE--This is what I'm wearing. I'm surprised. This is the last one I expected to like but the card smelled so good. Started light and fresh to me with a nice little kick in it. Then it dried down a little smoky and woodsy. My one complaint, if you call it one, is that this might be a sillage let down. Once I got outside it was non-exixtent..so I thought, on my skin. It then got better but I believe it stays close to you. I enjoyed it.

Prada Amber Pour Homme--Weird. I liked the intial burst and freshness but once it dried down there was a nice amber that turned sweet like......sugar. Candy like. Not bad but I am not sure if I could keep wearing it. I can see how others might like it though. the leather is way in the background

OLD School

Tuscany--Wow, I forgot how much I like this. Starts off with that spicy citrus and then dries down to an awesome masculine scent. I mean this is old school and there is really nothing more to it. Pretty linear. The great part is that I didn't expect the drydown to mellow so much to what it is...just didn't remember

Armani Eau Pour Homme --See above. Same year. Same type scent. This is a little more citrus to me though.
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The TC Sample of the Day Thread--L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme INTENSE (8/13)

Glad you enjoyed L'eau D'issey Intense, It was my first purchase when I started to really get into fragrances (and in turn, found Basenotes). I liked it because it wasn't just an intense version of L'eau D'issey, it was completely different and more classy than the original. Sillage is definitely there - it's nothing boastful that makes people smell it across the room and start coughing, but I would say sillage was average for me.

Post Thanks / Like

L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme INTENSE could be a lil cloying. try going with the smallest size available to keep continued interest in this frag. i think the Issey Bleue is an underrrated one. quite unlike any other scent out there. very powdery and has an Aura surrouding the wearer...too good stuff...have u ever tried it....?
    Last edited by jenson; 13th August 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by s0me0nesmind1 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed L'eau D'issey Intense, It was my first purchase when I started to really get into fragrances (and in turn, found Basenotes). I liked it because it wasn't just an intense version of L'eau D'issey, it was completely different and more classy than the original. Sillage is definitely there - it's nothing boastful that makes people smell it across the room and start coughing, but I would say sillage was average for me.
    Yeah it is getting stronger actually as the hours go on...at least as it continues to settle it gets smokier to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme INTENSE could be a lil cloying. try going with the smallest size available to keep continued interest in this frag. i think the Issey Bleue is an underrrated one. quite unlike any other scent out there. very powdery and has an Aura surrouding the wearer...too good stuff...have u ever tried it....?
    No I haven't tried that one. I did put the Eu Fraiche on a card and it was almost like water with no scent. I'm not sure if I'll buy it but it is good to try. I'm trying to find just one normal non-niche that I really can add to Bulgari Aqua and a couple of others for daily wear. I'd love to go GIT or something niche one day but it doesn't feel right to put that much money on it.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 13th August 2008 at 08:44 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Did you try the Prada Amber on skin? Your description of it is a bit weird as I've found, and it seems from the reviews many others have too, that it starts out sweet, on the verge of cloying, and gradually becomes deeper and richer as the drydown continues, with the myrrh taking center stage along with a hint of vetiver, suede and saffron in the later stages of the drydown. For me it goes from 'almost too sweet' to amazing.

No recommendations from me as it seems you've still got quite a list to go through (ok, I lied, just one - Caron's L'Anarchiste.. this is a spicy clove, cinnamon, cedar, vetiver musky scent, but despite being quite spicy is ultra-classy and even works in the summer heat when applied lightly). Here's a hint, too, don't spray to your neck when testing scents. When you spray to the neck your nose is constantly getting stimulated by the scent, and tunes it out much more quickly. It's better to go with one spray to the upper chest and, depending on the strength of the scent, another 1-3 sprays on the mid to lower abdomen. This way as you heat up and move around you'll get whiffs of it and notice it, whereas when it's a constant stimulus you'll think it has vanished long before it has. Another thing - I and a few others have noticed that the first few times of wearing a scent we block it out for some reason or another and it appears to have terrible longevity. Usually by the third wearing of scent I've overcome this - sometimes a scent I thought was gone in an hour or two the first few wearings is easily noticeable 8 or more hours later (this happened most noticeably to me with Viktor and Rolf's Antidote. Oh.. so much for no suggestions, I second the recommendation to check that one out!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Did you try the Prada Amber on skin? Your description of it is a bit weird as I've found, and it seems from the reviews many others have too, that it starts out sweet, on the verge of cloying, and gradually becomes deeper and richer as the drydown continues, with the myrrh taking center stage along with a hint of vetiver, suede and saffron in the later stages of the drydown. For me it goes from 'almost too sweet' to amazing.

No recommendations from me as it seems you've still got quite a list to go through (ok, I lied, just one - Caron's L'Anarchiste.. this is a spicy clove, cinnamon, cedar, vetiver musky scent, but despite being quite spicy is ultra-classy and even works in the summer heat when applied lightly). Here's a hint, too, don't spray to your neck when testing scents. When you spray to the neck your nose is constantly getting stimulated by the scent, and tunes it out much more quickly. It's better to go with one spray to the upper chest and, depending on the strength of the scent, another 1-3 sprays on the mid to lower abdomen. This way as you heat up and move around you'll get whiffs of it and notice it, whereas when it's a constant stimulus you'll think it has vanished long before it has. Another thing - I and a few others have noticed that the first few times of wearing a scent we block it out for some reason or another and it appears to have terrible longevity. Usually by the third wearing of scent I've overcome this - sometimes a scent I thought was gone in an hour or two the first few wearings is easily noticeable 8 or more hours later (this happened most noticeably to me with Viktor and Rolf's Antidote. Oh.. so much for no suggestions, I second the recommendation to check that one out!)
    I didn't try it on my skin. It is on the card. It is still pretty "sweet" a couple of hours later byt smoother than before. The sweetness didn't come rigth out for me though.

Thanks for the advice. I usually just go wrists or upper arm on skin trials. Thanks for all your help It's appreciated.
    --Ben Hogan

Toughcool, have you tried the Amouage Silver yet. Give that a try, and let me know what you think. I also saw you wrote something about Eau Fraiche, but don't think you meant the Versace Eau Fraiche. Definately try this one also if you haven't already.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

This has to be one of the most epic (and well executed) "help me choose" threads ever.

ToughCool, I'd recommend checking out the L'artisan line. They send 5 samples anywhere for a $7 price from their website. Well-worth it IMO, comes with a booklet, hand-written note, etc. Very well done.

If I had to choose just 5 for sampling... it would be:
    * Tea for Two - tea, honey, and smoke
    * Dzing! - Turin: "vanilla cardboard" -- Moltening: "tame animalic leather and vanilla"
    * Mechant Loup -- roasted and honeyed masculine nuts and spices
    * Ananas Fizz -- viva la pineapple!
    * Passage d'Enfer -- aka Path to Hell -- an incense scent

Fou d'Absinthe, Navegar, Voleur de Roses, and Timbuktu are also favorites around here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    This has to be one of the most epic (and well executed) "help me choose" threads ever.

ToughCool, I'd recommend checking out the L'artisan line. They send 5 samples anywhere for a $7 price from their website. Well-worth it IMO, comes with a booklet, hand-written note, etc. Very well done.
    Thank you so much - I was unaware of their sample program - now I only need to have my friends register so I can get more free samples

I also didn't know L'Artisan has a retail store in Houston... yet another place to stop the next time I go into town. ToughCool you should go and let me know what you think!

Btw, I ordered:

Navegar
    Dzongkha
    L'Eau d'Ambre
    La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme
    The Pour Un Ete
    Last edited by bbBD; 14th August 2008 at 03:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post

If I had to choose just 5 for sampling... it would be:
    * Tea for Two - tea, honey, and smoke
    * Dzing! - Turin: "vanilla cardboard" -- Moltening: "tame animalic leather and vanilla"
    * Mechant Loup -- roasted and honeyed masculine nuts and spices
    * Ananas Fizz -- viva la pineapple!
    * Passage d'Enfer -- aka Path to Hell -- an incense scent

Fou d'Absinthe, Navegar, Voleur de Roses, and Timbuktu are also favorites around here.
    Thank you so much - I was unaware of their sample program - now I only need to have my friends register so I can get more free samples

I also didn't know L'Artisan has a retail store in Houston... yet another place to stop the next time I go into town. ToughCool you should go and let me know what you think!

Btw, I ordered:

Navegar
    Dzongkha
    L'Eau d'Ambre
    La Chasse aux Papillons Extreme
    The Pour Un Ete
    Moltening, I really appreciate it. all of this is great. I'll have to order my samples. I'll let you know which ones!!

bbBd, I'm learning all type of things about places here in town or in particular, niches that I never knew existed in places like Nieman's etc. I have to go by that Kuhl-Linscomb, this is the third time I've been told they are loaded with L'Artisan. Is that the place you are speaking of bbBD or do they have a separate place?
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

yeah - it is the Kuhl store - I hadn't noticed that on the L'Artisan website - I was supposed to go last weekend for a big shopping spree in Houston but didn't make it. My wallet is happy for it...

Post Thanks / Like

yeah - it is the Kuhl store - I hadn't noticed that on the L'Artisan website - I was supposed to go last weekend for a big shopping spree in Houston but didn't make it. My wallet is happy for it...
    I think I'm going to go by the store before ordering the samples. After review and not looking and the two lists of 5 I picked

Mechant Loup
    L'Eau de L'Artisan
    Navegar
    The Pour Un Ete
    Dzing

While at Niemans the SA showed me Fou d'Absinthe. She loves it. It pretty much is a Christmas Tree smell. Wonderful but you have to want to smell like that. Not bad though...just the card.

Anyways, I'll try most of these at the Houston store or the Galleria, see what I can score and then order these if impressed.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 14th August 2008 at 06:13 PM.
    --Ben Hogan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The TC Sample of the Day Thread--I Went Haywire(9/5)

So what do I do after a doctors appt..roll over to Niemans and Saks. This is after my thread on niche. I just had to try more to see what else i might be missing. Some non-niche too.

Niemans

Creed Original Santal--Never tried this. They said spicy. I say sweetish. Really a mix but more sweet to me. Either way I somehow like it but wouldn't buy it. Different then the typical Creed smell.
    Creed MI--Smelled before. Beautiful
    Creed SMW--Smelled before, becoming a favorite of this house
    Creed Tabarome Millesime--Didn't like it the first time. This time...nicer. I still get an astringent smell but I'm getting more from it this time. Not bad. The guy made it sound like this would get the most comments. Don't think so.
    Creed Acier Aluminum--Initial burst was a little foul to me. Alright after that....not nice overall though.
    Creed Neroli Sauvage--Citrus and Eau Sauvage like...I mean reallly, what else can I say.
    Pasha Cartier--Much better than the first time I tried it. Very fresh on the tester. Very nice and not as sweet as I remember.
    Pasha Mint--Didn't see any difference with Pasha
    Cartier Declaration Essence--3rd time trying..Love it. Woody drydown is great!
    DV--Not sure what to think. OK

Saks

Tom Ford--Nice on my skin. Better than the first time
    Tom Ford Extreme--Loved this. Would have purchased it if it were the same price as Tom Ford. But $125 for the 1.7 wasn't for me today. I'm wearing it though!!I feel important...lol. Tom Ford was just as good and not the price though.
    Guerlain L'Instant--2nd wearing and I find this really nice and fresh. Classy.
    Guerlain Homme--Blech
    Some $800 one I didn't like
    Fresh Cannabis Santal--Very, very, very sweet and the canabis never really appeared.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 5th September 2008 at 08:08 PM.
    --Ben Hogan