Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fluffydonger

Default Creed Green Irish Tweed

Hi all, I just brought Creed green irish tweed just on the reviews about simply because i wanted a new fragrance that was a bit more special, i really like the smell but when it is applied it only lasts a matter of minutes then its gone, or is that what's supposed to happen with it? either way what a rip off, has anyone else had the same probelm? i also feel a bit let down because i brought a 8.4oz flacon of it
    Last edited by Fluffydonger; 28th July 2008 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: Creed Green Irish Tweed

didnt you receive a Hand Shower kit along with flacon? you are supposed to bath in it.. sorry, bad joke...

Fluffydonger

I think your right, do you think the same of it aswell?

Btw, welcome to Basenotes!

well, this is a very common problem and if you use the search function you might see almost 100 posts devoted to this topic...there are many a factors...the flacon being old, not stored properly, not brought from a reputed store or the most famous one...the money spent is not equivalent to the strength of the scent maybe you want to spend some more days before you make tht call...

if it still doesnt work for you, please consider returning it...

well, i do have the GIT and it gives me 7+ hours easy with moderate sillage there after
    Last edited by jenson; 28th July 2008 at 06:46 PM.

please try this link...you will see lot of threads..should give you enuff idea on how to aprpoach this brand altogther..

http://community.basenotes.net/searc...earchid=535385

Fluffydonger, if you have a retailer in your area that carries GIT, perhaps you could comparing the two. This way it will become apparent whether the GIT in your flacon is a the real thing or not. I personally find that GIT is very lasting on my skin, however I've once sampled a fake GIT that was somewhat similar smelling but had zero longevity.

If your GIT is not counterfeit and not improperly stored, but just doesn't last on you anyway, you may want to consider getting a small pocket atomizer so you can reapply the fragrance during the day. When I wear GIT to the office, I usually apply a little in the morning and then refresh it around lunch time. But I am a very light sprayer, more than one spray for me would produce monsterous results.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Green Irish Tweed is a very long lasting scent in my experience. It contains violet/iris notes which are known to cause olfactory fatigue to the wearer's nose. It's a great fragrance that is easily overapplied.

It is to my understanding that due to the natural ingredients used in Creed's fragrances, not all bottles (or flacons) are born equal.

In my experience it has bad longevity... sample before you buy.

I get about 5-6 hours out of it.

Make sure that you're not just perceiving the top notes fading, but not noticing the brilliant drydown that lasts for hours!

Also, everyone's body and skin chemistry is different, so what lasts for hours on one person may be gone quickly on others.

Don't blame any brand for longevity issues. I only get 1 hour from L'Artisan Passage D'enfer but others get much longer.
    Last edited by Simon Moon; 28th July 2008 at 09:35 PM.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

If you're not happy, you could always buy Davidoff Cool Water.

It's consitent, lasts ages and smells just as good in many people's opinion.

(HDS stands back and waits for the explosion as the Creed officiandos go ballistic...)
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have a 1 oz. bottle that I bought a few years ago and it still smells great. I recently bought a 2.5 oz. tester from Perfume Emporium that while it smells okay, it doesn't have the sharp topnotes or the longevity that the 1 oz. still has to this day. I don't know if it is just the difference from one batch to the other with Creed's. I guess I'll keep it, but just have to spray a bit more of it. Or, maybe I can't smell it but others can. I should start asking. Anyway, I still like GIT as well as other Creeds.

It last almost all day on me. I sprayed it before work the other morning early and we met our parents for dinner later that evening and my father said that he smelled it. I was actually surprised. It may have to do with it being old or not...I don't know but I usually do purchase mine at retail just in case. On the other hand I have bought it from online retailers such as theperfumespot.com and never had a problem with it being old. Everyone's skin is different so perhaps it's just that.. just spray a couple of extra squirts.

If you are completely new to the scent, I wonder if you will find in a few days that it does last, but that the parts of the scent you were expecting to keep going drop off, or your nose gets used to them and tunes them out. It may be that the parts that last are not the ones you are focusing on.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffydonger View Post
    Hi all, I just brought Creed green irish tweed just on the reviews about simply because i wanted a new fragrance that was a bit more special, i really like the smell but when it is applied it only lasts a matter of minutes then its gone, or is that what's supposed to happen with it? either way what a rip off, has anyone else had the same probelm? i also feel a bit let down because i brought a 8.4oz flacon of it
    Mate....don't worry....you've just been hit with 'Creed reality'...........its hard to accept but its true

Most Creeds' that I have tried and/or owned have dismal longevity.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I think someone is attempting a bit of British humor here..
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

It is a classic scent...suits to everything...great longtivity "whole day on me"!!!
    I would never buy Creed fragrances from the internet....never!!!

From my experience I would conclude that in the case of Green Irish Tweed "older" might be "better". In 2005 I bought a bottle made in 2002 (if one can believe what's written on the box). It is still a hell of a scent: Has abundance of presence (sillage) and lasting power (longevity), has a great depth.

Lately I bought a significantly "younger" bottle - and "young" does it feel: Without the presence and lasting power of the older one. Seems that I lost depth for gaining freshness and sparkling - "Bright Green Irish Tweed". Now, to silence my doubts, I presume that in a while my "new" Green Irish Tweed will develop into something I knew from the past...

But, of course, this is unsatisfying. It is "Creed reality", like gupts pointed out.

I think you have some testing to do.
    Firstly apply your one to some paper, and some to your hand. See if it lasts as long on each.

Secondly, go to a proper store that sells it, and apply some to their paper and some to your hand. See how that lasts.

With this info, you will be able to figure out if you have good or bad GIT, or if there something about your skin that kills it dead.

GIT gives me sub average longevity of about 6 hours (it's still there afterwards, but I'm the only one who can possibly notice it).
    Renato

Most Creeds' that I have tried and/or owned have excellent longevity.

GIT, MI , Himalaya, OV I own all of them and I can see why they are expensive. Pure Quality.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, cause those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    If you're not happy, you could always buy Davidoff Cool Water.
    Or to go even cheaper, Coty's Aspen.

I tested from a vial (got from fragrance.net) and found the longevity to be horrible... within twenty minutes I had to press my nose against my skin to be able to smell a trace of anything. considering the opening notes are a little too fruity and there's no longevity, that's not much value for 150 bucks. Cool Water has practically the same opening but better longevity and a nice drydown, in my experience.

who knows, maybe it's my skin?

I've just received a 4oz bottle of GIT from FragranceNet and I am extremely disappointed to say that while it smells a little like the GIT from my carded sample vial, it's too different, not nearly as amazingly smooth and elegant and has almost no longevity. The bottle is the black one with a serial number at the bottom back part, there is also a paper incert with some arabic writing on the box.

I will go to Holt Renfrew today to compare the bottles and the scent itself, but even before I do - I strongly suspect that this is fake as it smells nothing like the juice from the two carded samples I have (one bought from a basenotes member, another picked up at Holt Renfrew which is an authorized Creed distributor in Canada). I should also add that the GIT from both the samples smells absolutely the same (awesome, might I add) and has decent longevity.

Update: Millesime Imperial that I got in the same order seems legit. The "Green Irish Tweed" however is definetely going back!
    Update Deux: Looks like the GIT from FragranceNet may be legit after all, please see my post below...
    Last edited by Igor01; 29th July 2008 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Most Creeds' that I have tried and/or owned have excellent longevity.

GIT, MI , Himalaya, OV I own all of them and I can see why they are expensive. Pure Quality.
    Ditto [except for the OV]. I get a minimum of 8 hours out of all of my Creeds, and upwards of 12 out of some.

For the future, I would recommend always testing a scent before buying it, especially an 8.4 oz flacon.

By the way - I would definitely recommend buying Creed GIT from Costco, if possible. I have a feeling they would be less tolerant of the grey market shenanigans, and more forgiving if you feel you got a bad bottle.

I am even more confused now, having just received a 4 oz bottle of GIT from FragranceNet and being disappointed with how it smelled kinda off compared to my two sample vials and seemed to lack longevity I went to Holt Renfrew which is an autorized Creed distributor in Canada, like Nieman Marcus in the US. I should also mention that I had previously received a sample vial of GIT which to my nose smells divine. I had also previously bought another sample vial of GIT from a BaseNotes member. The two samples smell absolutely the same and are absolutely amazing with nice longevity.

Well today I've sprayed some GIT from the black 4 oz bottle at Holt Renfrew and realized that it smells the same as the stuff I just got from FragranceNet, and completely different from a sample that I had picked up at the same store just a week ago. I've talked to the Creed counter manager and he pulled another sample from his drawer and the juice from the sampler seems to smell just like the GIT from their black bottle - that is completely different from the sample the same manager gave me last week (which in turn smells exactly the same as the sample I got off a fellow basenoter). When I asked him, he said that you can expect some differences dpending on the batch, your skin condition at the time, the weather etc. which I can appreciate but damn, these smell completely different! The two samples I had been trying for a couple weeks are absolutely the same and are to die for, while the new sample and the full-size bottle (as well as the bottle from FragranceNet) are identical to each other and completely different from the first two samples.

Are there "good" and "bad" years for GIT? Where do I get the good stuff from? All this is increadibly frustrating!

To sum it up, here is my experience:

Heavenly smelling GIT (all samples are identical to each other):
    Sample 1 (from a basenotes member)
    Sample 2 (from Holt Renfrew, a distributor beyond suspicion)

Weird-smelling GIT (all samples are identical to each other):
    Sample 3 (from Holt Renfrew, the above mentioned distributor beyond suspicion)
    Full 4oz bottle from FragranceNet
    Full 4oz bottle from Holt Renfrew
    A 2.5oz tester bottle from another basenoter
    Last edited by Igor01; 29th July 2008 at 05:31 PM.

As far as I know, GIT is pretty consistent as far as production. You may have gotten an older bottle, but it should smell the same if it was stored properly.

The grey market stuff may have been exposed to high heat and sunlight and turned, but your bottle from the retailer (authorized?) should be good.

Then again, it could just be your nose, skin, weather, etc.

Igor: Some may find that the difference in the intensity or longevity of the Juice is somehow quaint, or signs of artistinal craftsmanship. But it is your experience that makes me mad about paying the money we do for Creed and then it not meeting our expectations. I had bottles of MI, GIT and my wife had Spring Flowers. Each and every one of the subsequent purchases in the last year all seemed weaker and less longlasting. Yet every bottle of Coco Mademoiselle and Lutens and Piper Nigrum is the same. I dont even want to know if I am tempted to get a tester of GIT for $75.00. Weak GIT, even legit, only makes me wish I had spent the $$$ to get a full bottle, but hey, you tell me yours is weak, I dont want to chance it.

maybe your bottle is a fake I have gotten fake bottles of creed green irish tweed before.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post

IMO, you contradict when you said that Holt Renfrew is beyond suspicion.

However, I doubt you got "fakes." Perhaps the samples that you LIKE are the ones that are turned. What colour is the juice? Is it clear, or perhaps slightly brown?

Try smelling Davidoff Coolwater. If it smells like any of your samples above, then those samples must be turned.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    IMO, you contradict when you said that Holt Renfrew is beyond suspicion.

However, I doubt you got "fakes." Perhaps the samples that you LIKE are the ones that are turned. What colour is the juice? Is it clear, or perhaps slightly brown?

Try smelling Davidoff Coolwater. If it smells like any of your samples above, then those samples must be turned.
    As far as I know, Holts is the only authorized distributor of Creed products in Canada, unlike many small stores that sell grey market Creeds, Holts has the complete product lineup and as one would expect, their prices are absolutely outrageous (most 4 oz bottles are $275-299). Besides, I doubt that they would have fake samples randomly mixed in the same drawer with the real samples, what would be the point?

The other thing that blows my mind - the four GITs in what I've described as "weird-smelling" above do smell exactly the same and they came from such a wide variety of sources that I'd have to assume that most of GIT bottles and samples out there are counterfeit and contain exactly the same juice in every fake bottle - this sounds just too far-fetched to be true..

And it sure ain't Cool Water, which used to be my signature frag for years so I'd recognize it in a heartbeat...

I really can't think of any rational explanation. Either GIT does vary so drastically from batch to batch to the point of almost being a different scent, in which case Creed don't know what the heck they are doing (but then again, how come their other Millisimes are not subject to the same crazy variances). Or maybe my first two sample were completely off (but then why in the world would they smell identicall to each other and so much better than "the other GIT")?

Unhappy Re: Creed Green Irish Tweed

I am even more confused now, having just received a 4 oz bottle of GIT from FragranceNet and being disappointed with how it smelled kinda off compared to my two sample vials and seemed to lack longevity I went to Holt Renfrew which is an autorized Creed distributor in Canada, like Nieman Marcus in the US. I should also mention that I had previously received a sample vial of GIT which to my nose smells divine. I had also previously bought another sample vial of GIT from a BaseNotes member. The two samples smell absolutely the same and are absolutely amazing with nice longevity.

Well today I've sprayed some GIT from the black 4 oz bottle at Holt Renfrew and realized that it smells the same as the stuff I just got from FragranceNet, and completely different from a sample that I had picked up at the same store just a week ago. I've talked to the Creed counter manager and he pulled another sample from his drawer and the juice from the sampler seems to smell just like the GIT from their black bottle - that is completely different from the sample the same manager gave me last week (which in turn smells exactly the same as the sample I got off a fellow basenoter). When I asked him, he said that you can expect some differences dpending on the batch, your skin condition at the time, the weather etc. which I can appreciate but damn, these smell completely different! The two samples I had been trying for a couple weeks are absolutely the same and are to die for, while the new sample and the full-size bottle (as well as the bottle from FragranceNet) are identical to each other and completely different from the first two samples.

Are there "good" and "bad" years for GIT? Where do I get the good stuff from? All this is increadibly frustrating!

Darn Igor, How many Bottles Of GIT did you get?? and how much did you spend on this perfume so far....?? Well from the Sample I got From Aedes its smelled salty and awesome.... but it seems to still be out in Aedes and now Neiman Marcus seems to be out of the 4.0 oz too... leading me to believe Aedes's story about it being out of stock at ICPerfumes....:-(
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

Quote Originally Posted by deadhacker View Post
    Darn Igor, How many Bottles Of GIT did you get?? and how much did you spend on this perfume so far....?? Well from the Sample I got From Aedes its smelled salty and awesome.... but it seems to still be out in Aedes and now Neiman Marcus seems to be out of the 4.0 oz too... leading me to believe Aedes's story about it being out of stock at ICPerfumes....:-(
    That is the curse that is basenotes Actualy, so far I've actually paid only for one sample vial of GIT (the "heavenly" one...) and two full size 4 oz bottles, one GIT (the "weird" one but smells identical to the legit GIT at Holts) and Millisime Imperial (no doubts as to its genuinness). All the other ones I've smelled were either freebies (samples from Holts) or bottles at different stores and one bottle from another basenoter.

NM is out of 4oz bottles? Holts has plenty here, at a cool everyday low price of only $275 plus 13% tax

Cool Re: Creed Green Irish Tweed

That is the curse that is basenotes Actualy, so far I've actually paid only for one sample vial of GIT (the "heavenly" one...) and two full size 4 oz bottles, one GIT (the "weird" one but smells identical to the legit GIT at Holts) and Millisime Imperial (no doubts as to its genuinness). All the other ones I've smelled were either freebies (samples from Holts) or bottles at different stores and one bottle from another basenoter.

NM is out of 4oz bottles? Holts has plenty here, at a cool everyday low price of only $275 plus 13% tax
    lolz.... I use to live in Canada too Moved Back to the U.S almost two years ago. But I feel the price difference bro, Everything is so expensive there..... yea Correct me if I'm wrong isn't the tax 14 percent... But I guess the bottles from NM and Aedes where I ordered mines should be a fresh batch... Cause according to Aedes they were out at ICPerfumes(Creed Warehouse for North America) so they Now ordered some directly from France which takes time to come...
    Last edited by deadhacker; 29th July 2008 at 07:09 PM.

You beat me to it..lol. That's GIT to last a lifetime.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 29th July 2008 at 08:34 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Red face Re: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    You beat me to it..lol. That's GIT to last a lieftime.
    and the funny thing is he still did not get the real scent that he sampled.......darn Creed jacks us poor basenoters..... lolz

If you would like to add another sample to the mix I would be more then happy to send you a sample of my '07 GIT (as per the bottle) purchased from Fragrancenet a few months ago for comparison.

It is definitely weaksauce but authentic by all accounts.

I would like your opinion on the sample and it may help your analysis.

PM me your info if interested

honestly.....GIT remains very noticeable for at least 4 hours...and my skin swallows everything(even Musc Ravageur is an extremely airy/light scent for me).
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

What were the serials on your bottles of Creed's?

Either way interesting story you have there. All I can say when it comes to GIT is that I bought my first one a couple of months ago from a small store that sells all types of perfumes in the mall. I know I shouldn't be buying any Creed's from a small unknown store in a mall....lol....however I got real lucky with the GIT and MI. The one I bought smelled like heaven. The thing is I was able to test it (from one of their tester bottles - which was really a regular Creed bottle that they used for testing) and that tester bottle smelled divine too (must be the same batch). That's what made me buy it on the spot.

Their MI's smelled really good too. They also had OV, TM, BDP and RW but I didn't check those out. I would bet my last dime that these other Creed's would have been "perfect" too. Perhaps, I got real lucky with a good batch. I'm pretty sure they both are from 2007 or 2008. The MI was the new clear bottle. So that's definitely 2008. The serials were grounded off but that didn't bother me at the time since the juice itself was well kept/fresh stock and I could actually picked out the Creed box from their shelf. Unlike any Creed's you recieve through the mail - you have to always keep your fingers crossed and hope they send you a "good" one. The thing is with internet discounters like Fragrancenet is that they may purchase their GIT's from different sources/batches and just send you any random one that's sitting on their shelves. So you may have gotten one from the bad batch.

FYI, I paid $167 (which includes taxes) for each 4 oz bottle of Creed I bought (GIT and MI). They both came with creed cards and papers - the whole nine yards. Looking back at it, I truly believe it was well worth it knowing that I got a really good batch of both GIT and MI. It's worth the extra money to me. Also that store in the mall has a really good return policy if I didn't like it. However, they didn't have SMW or Himalaya which I also wanted to check out at the time.

In the end, I feel your pain and frustration. I don't have any explanation for your experience with GIT. I guess it's either a hit or miss with Creed. A chance with even retail Creed's at times you are gonna have to take. I believe it's well worth it once you do find a good bottle of GIT....it's so incredible and it will last a really long time!!

**Try your best to return the ones that you are not happy with to the original place you purchased it. It’s better to do that than to keep it and then later sell it on Ebay - you are gonna end up losing a lot more money that way. Especially with GIT. Been there, done that with other things
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 29th July 2008 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added last part

Is that Canadian dollars?

Oh wait, we Americans can't even make fun of it anymore, that probably like $300 US.

Firstly, my apologies to the original poster for planting myself in his thread, although the info may be helpful to him in resolving his GIT flacon mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    What were the serials on your bottles of Creed's?

Either way interesting story you have there. All I can say when it comes to GIT is that I bought my first one a couple of months ago from a small store that sells all types of perfumes in the mall. I know I shouldn't be buying any Creed's from a small unknown store in a mall....lol....however I got real lucky with the GIT and MI. The one I bought smelled like heaven. The thing is I was able to test it (from one of their tester bottles - which was really a regular Creed bottle that they used for testing) and that tester bottle smelled divine too (must be the same batch). That's what made me buy it on the spot.

Their MI's smelled really good too. They also had OV, TM, BDP and RW but I didn't check those out. I would bet my last dime that these other Creed's would have been "perfect" too. Perhaps, I got real lucky with a good batch. I'm pretty sure they both are from 2007 or 2008. The MI was the new clear bottle. So that's definitely 2008. The serials were grounded off but that didn't bother me at the time since the juice itself was well kept/fresh stock and I could actually picked out the Creed box from their shelf. Unlike any Creed's you recieve through the mail - you have to always keep your fingers crossed and hope they send you a "good" one. The thing is with internet discounters like Fragrancenet is that they may purchase their GIT's from different sources/batches and just send you any random one that's sitting on their shelves. So you may have gotten one from the bad batch.

FYI, I paid $167 (which includes taxes) for each 4 oz bottle of Creed I bought (GIT and MI). They both came with creed cards and papers - the whole nine yards. Looking back at it, I truly believe it was well worth it knowing that I got a really good batch of both GIT and MI. It's worth the extra money to me. Also that store in the mall has a really good return policy if I didn't like it. However, they didn't have SMW or Himalaya which I also wanted to check out at the time.

In the end, I feel your pain and frustration. I don't have any explanation for your experience with GIT. I guess it's either a hit or miss with Creed. A chance with even retail Creed's at times you are gonna have to take. I believe it's well worth it once you do find a good bottle of GIT....it's so incredible and it will last a really long time!!
    Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! I just wish I was just as lucky with the batch My GIT has a serial number ending in 07 and the bottle bears no visible signs of having been exposed to light or elements. The box seems genuine too (compared to various pictures on the internet) and the little Creed card is included. The MI bottle is new clear bottle too, with a 07 serial number (but I have no complaints about the MI I have received from FragranceNet). The price at FragranceNet was about the same what you've paid.

I wish I had a wider statistical base to determine what the hell is up with these different GIT's out there, but alas, that's not even remotely a possiblity and just comparing different reviews and opinions from different members has very limited use as opinions are understandably subjective...

Firstly, my apologies to the original poster for planting myself in his thread, although the info may be helpful to him in resolving his GIT flacon mystery.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! I just wish I was just as lucky with the batch My GIT has a serial number ending in 07 and the bottle bears no visible signs of having been exposed to light or elements. The box seems genuine too (compared to various pictures on the internet) and the little Creed card is included. The MI bottle is new clear bottle too, with a 07 serial number (but I have no complaints about the MI I have received from FragranceNet). The price at FragranceNet was about the same what you've paid.

I wish I had a wider statistical base to determine what the hell is up with these different GIT's out there, but alas, that's not even remotely a possiblity and just comparing different reviews and opinions from different members has very limited use as opinions are understandably subjective...
    You are welcome To add to my experience:

The thing is I would have never given Creed another chance if it wasn’t for that store in the mall. I was so disappointed with an older Creed (not the age of the bottle but the actual scent itself that came out before 1985 – an EDT not a Millesime) that I tried a year ago that gave me the impression that Creed’s are nothing but a brand name. That people pay extra just for the name (history and royalties behind it) and could care less about the actual quality.

But then one day I spotted some Creed's in that mall and thought to myself "what the heck?". Give it a shot, I got nothing to lose. Besides I'll probably end up not liking it and reaffirming my whole notion of "Creed's are nothing but a name". So with all my negative bias that I had towards the house of Creed, I tried GIT first because of the buzz it receives here at Basenotes and the fact that I liked Cool Water's scent. I was clearly blown away from the first instant I smelled it and the rest is history…

So if the owners of that small store in my mall is reading this – thanks for the opportunity to reevaluate Creed's!! lol

Funny thing is because of Creed, I can't enjoy other scents that I used to enjoy or grew up with because Creed makes them smell like air fresheners (so synthetic and not fulfilling). That's just a side effect I'm going to have to live with! For instance, Cool water I can't even stand anymore because of the existence of GIT. CW and GIT don't even belong on the same planet with each other (no offense to CW lovers). The thing about GIT is that it grows on me with each wearing. Other than being smooth and natural smelling - it is so complex - sometimes I'm smelling large, beautiful green fields of flowers (CW clearly lacks this aspect) and other times I'm smelling a breeze of fresh bodies of water like a sea.

And yes just like your other senses, the sense of smell is very subjective....you can't even agree with yourself, what makes you think you will agree with someone's else perception or experience with a scent? There's so many factors to determining (the psychology) behind which scents pleases a certain person and can end up being repulsive to the next person. I'm not going to go into the reasons that may cause this such as prior childhood experiences or where/what we grew up with....I could probably write a ten page essay on it!

I bet even if two people here at basenotes had "similiar" taste in scents....that their taste in movies, music and food would probably be very different if they were to compare with each other what they really liked in those categories.....even if they are the same age and same ethnic background...

"You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself" - Nelson Rick "Garden Party"

Is that Canadian dollars?

Oh wait, we Americans can't even make fun of it anymore, that probably like $300 US.
    lolz... true.. cause the CAD is almost par to the USD....if not crossed the par....

I'm having sort of the same experience as Igor. I got 2 sample vials(my first time trying GIT btw) off a basenotes member which smell simply wonderful on me so I decided to get a decant from another generous basenotes member. The decant smells decent enough and while I like it, it just doesn't seem as rich smelling as my samples. The samples also have a spicier edge to them and the drydown is stronger. However, the decants' top and middle notes last much much longer on my skin while the ambergris drydown is less pronounced than the samples. I did spray some of the decant on a test strip and it's still going strong 24 hours later! I do wonder if my samples ARE off and I just like them better! At any rate, it's very confusing to say the least!
    Last edited by Scott1971; 29th July 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Honestly, from a silent observer this whole discussion, which I've seen multiple times, makes me wary to buy Creed for the high price if I don't get what I fell for the first time. JMO.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Fluffydonger - where art thou!! look at the monster you created

I was browsing the forums and came across an excellent post from '06 "The mystery of Creed's serial numbers resolved!" that discussed Creed serial numbers and had a brief excerpt from an interview with Oliver Creed himself.

Of special note is the post by Scentemental that was well written and insightful.

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...serial+numbers

Enjoy.

Yea....but no offense....scentemental is Basenote's well known Creed basher.....he'll take info about Creed and try to twist it to the point that makes Creed look worse than any other fragrance in the world ....I don't pay too much attention to propaganda (it's a one sided argument)....

I judge for myself when it comes to any fragrance putting aside anything that's been said about it or associated with it (bias). It's all about the quality of the fragrance that I look for, not the image or good customer service when getting a fragrance. A lot of what's floating around has been misinterpreted. For instance, When a Creed ages (assuming it's been well kept from light and heat) - maybe it does get better with age such as the drydown lasting longer and being more pronounced/stronger (some basenotes members mentioned this). I don't have a Creed long enough or old enough to verify this. However, I do know that when a Creed ages the topnotes are more than likely to fade (especially citrus). I personally prefer every stage of a fragrance to be intact. I used to be part of the Creed haters crowd too like I said earlier in this thread so I do understand their point of view.

It's all boils down to whether a Creed clicks with you or not. And of course if you have enough money to spend for it! lol
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 30th July 2008 at 03:16 AM.

Angry Re: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Yea....but no offense....scentemental is Basenote's well known Creed basher.....he'll take info about Creed and try to twist it to the point that makes Creed look worse than any other fragrance in the world ....I don't pay too much attention to propaganda (it's a one sided argument)....

I judge for myself when it comes to any fragrance putting aside anything that's been said about it or associated with it (bias). It's all about the quality of the fragrance that I look for, not the image or good customer service when getting a fragrance. A lot of what's floating around has been misinterpreted. For instance, When a Creed ages (assuming it's been well kept from light and heat) - maybe it does get better with age such as the drydown lasting longer and being more pronounced/stronger (some basenotes members mentioned this). I don't have a Creed long enough or old enough to verify this. However, I do know that when a Creed ages the topnotes are more than likely to fade (especially citrus). I personally prefer every stage of a fragrance to be intact. I used to be part of the Creed haters crowd too like I said earlier in this thread so I do understand their point of view.

It's all boils down to whether a Creed clicks with you or not. And of course if you have enough money to spend for it! lol

harsh but true Mindbrain ... there are alot of haters, for no good reasons then its(Colonge being talked about) being advertised like this or that... I think I'm sick and tired of ppl hating a house and then going to a thread and just bashing it for no good reason but the one above.....If you don't like something just keep quiet...... but that's my two scents....

P>S- I know that some criticism is good but its the same old bashers.....so yea its not criticism its just ppl hating something cause its too common for them to wear...

before you bash me.. I'm not a supporter for any particular house I just like scents that smell good and awesome on me.... doesn't matter to me whom makes them....

I will just add this to the discussion:

I bought a bottle of (fresh) Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse in 2003 from Neiman Marcus. Just a few weeks ago I bought another fresh bottle of the same juice; it smells more citrusy and the white flower base is a tad muted. My now nearly empty 2003 bottle has a richer and more pronounced white flower base. But I recall that when I bought it in 2003, the juice was more citrusy and less floral...like my new bottle. So maybe the ingredients do age with time...
    -

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I will just add this to the discussion:

I bought a bottle of (fresh) Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse in 2003 from Neiman Marcus. Just a few weeks ago I bought another fresh bottle of the same juice; it smells more citrusy and the white flower base is a tad muted. My now nearly empty 2003 bottle has a richer and more pronounced white flower base. But I recall that when I bought it in 2003, the juice was more citrusy and less floral...like my new bottle. So maybe the ingredients do age with time...
    Hey ZZ, funny you should say that. I have had this on my mind for a while. I bought some Vintage tabarome about a year ago or a little more. At first I was disappointed because it smelled different to my older VT to the extent that I wrote to Creed accusing them of changing the formula. Now it smells the same, darker, more coherent (I kept some of the older one). So I do think there is some truth in the claim that Creeds can macerate in the bottle.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

harsh but true Mindbrain ... there are alot of haters, for no good reasons then its(Colonge being talked about) being advertised like this or that... I think I'm sick and tired of ppl hating a house and then going to a thread and just bashing it for no good reason but the one above.....If you don't like something just keep quiet...... but that's my two scents....
    I don't understand the mentality of a hater, though I suspect that it's similar to the mind of a fanboy / fangirl. The compulsion to post for no other reason confuses me.

I don't understand the mentality of a hater, though I suspect that it's similar to the mind of a fanboy / fangirl. The compulsion to post for no other reason confuses me.
    totally with you on that...somehow they feel, since they have spent the most number of $$$$$ it makes them different and a cut above the rest. the fact of the matter is, even they themself are speculating this and no one could possibly know what going on behind the scenes at a laboratory.

If one notices, they themself are confused whether to call a scent niche, coz they then remember, they have had posts earlier ridiculing people who call scents niche. it's just show off, nothing more. i rather hang on to the words of people like ZZtop, Vibert and countless other people in here, who talk about - surprise!! - Scents!! and not people who talk about aromachemical and blah blah...crap, good for GK but not for spreading wrong messages which they themself are speculating.

there, i just exhaled..

same story with my bottles (GIT; SMW; M.I). They smell better after one or two years ...the longtivity is also better and longer...if you can...buy always a 4 year older bottle. This is what Creed said on a interview.

Everybody...get off of your soapbox! lol...just kidding...I totally agree with what you guys are saying...

It's funny that these Creed haters and Creed lovers for that matter thinks that just by posting several posts regarding their narrow-minded views of a particular scent that people here will actually dislike or like a scent based on their perception. LOL...it works quite the opposite on me...it makes me not want to dislike or like the scents they are trying to advocate. I still would judge for myself first, but come on!

Like I said earlier I use to be part of the Creed haters' group because I actually tried one of the Creeds a while back and I didn't like the scent much. However, I still didn't come to the forums just to bash it and convert people into thinking the way I was thinking. I kept the "hate" to myself and I'm glad I did that since I really dig certain Creed's now. Quite the turnaround happened when I got to test other Creed's at the mall just a couple of months ago.

Igor01, perhaps the age of the GIT might be the answer to your question. Perhaps those samples were "aged" for a year or two unlike the ones you got from Fragrancenet or wherever. It's a possibility that you dig the GIT's that have aged a little. And with MI you may want it to be fresh rather than aged...your preference will probably vary from Creed to Creed when it comes to the "age" of them.
    Last edited by Mindbrain; 30th July 2008 at 04:58 PM.

It's funny that these Creed haters and Creed lovers for that matter thinks that just by posting several posts regarding their narrow-minded views of a particular scent that people here will actually dislike or like a scent based on their perception.
    Agreed. I've noticed from spending time on discussion boards dedicated to my various other hobbies that we humans seem to share an innate, genetically programmed imperative to attempt convincing as many other individuals as possible that we profess the truth and possess above average cognitive powers and analytical abilities, thus earning us a higher social status, or perhaps bettering the chances of the individual's survival (safety in numbers)... All this is largely subconcious and we can't help it just because it's hardwired in our brain circuits. This doesn't bother me in the least, as long as I get useful information and insights from different points of view, in such a highly subjective area as fragrance preferences anything helps...

Igor01, perhaps the age of the GIT might be the answer to your question. Perhaps those samples were "aged" for a year or two unlike the ones you got from Fragrancenet or wherever. It's a possibility that you dig the GIT's that have aged a little. And with MI you may want it to be fresh rather than aged...your preference will probably vary from Creed to Creed when it comes to the "age" of them.
    The thought had crossed my mind, but I am still debating whether it's worth for me to spend a couple years and $170 to see if the juice in my GIT bottle will tranform itself into the ambrosia I've smelled from just a couple of sample vials... I just might!

I'm a Creed fan, but far from a fan boy as I like other houses just as much as Creed.

But the haters are far more annoying than the fan boys.

If someone starts a Creed thread, you'd expect a Creed fan to chime in to give their opinion. But why the haters chime in is beyond me.

There are several houses from which I've yet to find a fragrance I like, but I never post the same kind of stuff the Creed haters do on a thread on one of them.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Hey ZZ, funny you should say that. I have had this on my mind for a while. I bought some Vintage tabarome about a year ago or a little more. At first I was disappointed because it smelled different to my older VT to the extent that I wrote to Creed accusing them of changing the formula. Now it smells the same, darker, more coherent (I kept some of the older one). So I do think there is some truth in the claim that Creeds can macerate in the bottle.
    Or it could be that the top notes dissipate faster over time while the basenotes become richer and more prominent. As others have said, this phenomena can also be experienced in other fragrances, but is more noticeable in fragrances which contain a higher percentage of natural oils.
    -

Wink Re: Creed Green Irish Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    I'm a Creed fan, but far from a fan boy as I like other houses just as much as Creed.

But the haters are far more annoying than the fan boys.

If someone starts a Creed thread, you'd expect a Creed fan to chime in to give their opinion. But why the haters chime in is beyond me.

There are several houses from which I've yet to find a fragrance I like, but I never post the same kind of stuff the Creed haters do on a thread on one of them.
    Totally Agreed..... dude freaking haters take everything out of context......

I got a question.
    I'm wondering if this is a 40+ fragrance is.
    Because it never says if its for the younger or older generation.
    I already bought 2 fragrances, which where very well reviewed by the community members which smell very well but the smell tell they clearly are for older ones.

I wanna buy this GIT but dont know if its for me. im 25 and dont want to attract gradn moms, if you understand what i mean.