Code of Conduct

Default All hail Pamplemousse...erm, Grapefruit!

Grapefruit kind of crept up on me. When I was growing up, my mother always ate a grapefruit for breakfast, and its tart aroma and taste always used to turn me off. I haven't pondered the mysteries, if there are any, of grapefruit until I started to become interested in frags. Even then, I never really noticed it much until I started to dissect some of my favorite frags. Citrus top notes generally make me run for the exit, especially lemon & orange, because they can be too bright for my liking. But there's something slightly melancholy in grapefruit along with a muted lightness. Ethereal may be the word I'm looking for. So, with that in mind, I decided last week to wear only scents with grapefruit in them.

Started the week off with Live Jazz. Recently bought this, and I got a compliment for the first time in ages. Note to self, wear this more often! On Tuesday, I put on L'Essence Must PH and it still continues to thrill me to no ends. That combination of Grapefruit and Anise is stunningly beautiful. Which led me to my Wednesday frag, Badian. It's a lot like LEMPH in the top notes but mossier on the base rather than the woody/vanilla drydown. Not quite as remarkable as LEMPH but a real pleasure to wear. Thursday, I donned Opium PH Eau D'Orient '06 version. Again, the grapefruit/anise accord is present but it's star anise which gives it a darker and sexier, "let's go out tonight" vibe which is not found in LEMPH and Badian. Rounding out my week, I went with Oscar for Men. Here grapefruit mixes with pepper and nutmeg to give it a real edge. Puts a spring in your step but without the citric cliches.

Anybody else out there with a grapefruit frag they'd recommend?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: All hail Pamplemousse...erm, Grapefruit!

Though not nearly of the same quality as the ones you mention, the new Boss Pure is nearly all grapefruit.

Balle de Match---although it is definitely on the citrussy, bright side. Great in hot weather.

Did you try Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse from Creed? It smells really good but it's too close to the skin and doesn't last long enough in my opinion, especially at that price. It's really good though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post
    Did you try Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse from Creed? It smells really good but it's too close to the skin and doesn't last long enough in my opinion, especially at that price. It's really good though.
    First thing that came to mind here as well. I didn't have projection issues with the test I gave it but it did not last very long here either.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Hugo Boss Selection
    Bond No. 9 Little Italy
    Creed Himalaya
    Diptyque Oyedo
    Floris Cefiro
    L'Artisan L'eau de Jatamansi
    M.Micallef Pomelos

All of the above contain Grapefruit accords in varying concentrations, with some with pretty prominent Grapefruit (like the Micallef Pomelos, Floris Cefiro, Boss Selection).

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

All time grapefruit fave: Citrus Paradisi - Czech & SpeakeREAD HERE.
    and O'Pomelo / Pamplemousse by Comptoir Sud Pacifique is also true to its name!
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 29th July 2008 at 07:08 AM.

Bond #9 Riverside Drive

Thumbs up Re: All hail Pamplemousse...erm, Grapefruit!

Citrus Paradisi is extra dirty citrus fragrance. I'm not sure if it will ever garner any compliments. Unlike any fragrance I know, it actually smells like body odour, not just figuratively speaking. I love it!

About Balle de Match; I have been thinking about buying this one blind, would that be a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Unlike any fragrance I know, it actually smells like body odour, not just figuratively speaking.
    I can't imagine what's in the Finnish diet if Citrus Paradisi reminds you of the smell of body odour!
    Perhaps you should bottle it...
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 29th July 2008 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    On Tuesday, I put on L'Essence Must PH and it still continues to thrill me to no ends. That combination of Grapefruit and Anise is stunningly beautiful.
    Thursday, I donned Opium PH Eau D'Orient '06 version. Again, the grapefruit/anise accord is present but it's star anise which gives it a darker and sexier, "let's go out tonight" vibe
    Rounding out my week, I went with Oscar for Men. Here grapefruit mixes with pepper and nutmeg to give it a real edge. Puts a spring in your step but without the citric cliches.

Anybody else out there with a grapefruit frag they'd recommend?
    A very kind Basenoter (thanks, BlackCat!) sent me Jo Malone's Grapefruit, which I tried yesterday.

It's pretty much straight grapefruit, maybe a little vetiver and some aromatic herbs like sage/rosemary -- a pleasant smell which has lasted about 10 hours or more on me. Others have commented it doesn't last long, and truly the grapefruit doesn't last long, but the aromatic stuff does.

I think anise and grapefruit would be yummy. And maybe nutmeg/pepper too!

Sur la Plage

Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    YSL M7 Fresh
    Last edited by petruccijc; 29th July 2008 at 10:37 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I don't much like grapefruit notes but Citrus Paradisi is the clearest, longest lasting one I have come across.

Citrus Paradisi is the botanical name for grapefruit by the way.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by fool View Post
    Balle de Match---although it is definitely on the citrussy, bright side. Great in hot weather.
    Just picked up a sample of this. Will try soon!
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by beltz View Post
    Didn't like it for the reasons you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    A very kind Basenoter (thanks, BlackCat!) sent me Jo Malone's Grapefruit, which I tried yesterday.

It's pretty much straight grapefruit, maybe a little vetiver and some aromatic herbs like sage/rosemary -- a pleasant smell which has lasted about 10 hours or more on me. Others have commented it doesn't last long, and truly the grapefruit doesn't last long, but the aromatic stuff does.
    Did not care for Jo's version at all. Too boring and safe for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    All time grapefruit fave: Citrus Paradisi - Czech & SpeakeREAD HERE.
    and O'Pomelo / Pamplemousse by Comptoir Sud Pacifique is also true to its name!
    Never heard of Citrus Paradisi prolly because #88 gets so much press, but it does sound wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    I can't imagine what's in the Finnish diet if Citrus Paradisi reminds you of the smell of body odour!
    Perhaps you should bottle it...
    I actually understand what he is talking about. May family has commented on it as well. I think it has that accord because it's so true to real grapefruit. Doesn't grapefruit contain a high amount of indoles? That would explain the initial, off putting blast from Citrus Paradisi.
    Thankfully, it burns off fairly quickly for me and what's left is the most amazing, "warm" citrus scent around. It lasts longer than any citrus scent has a right to. Aside from being the best grapefruit scent around, I think it's the best citrus fragrance out there.

Pamplemousse has to be my favorite French word.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Though not nearly of the same quality as the ones you mention, the new Boss Pure is nearly all grapefruit.
    I agree. And it's really fizzy.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune
    Please try this one, I love it. However, you must like that 'Guerlain-ade' base, because it is definitely present in this scent. It's also one of the most long lasting of the AA scents. I have been wanting a full bottle for a while now.

Terre d'Hermes has a pronounced flinty grapefruit top note.

Teddius