Code of Conduct

Default Enjoyment of certain scents permanently GONE because of.. *illness*?

A bit long here, so please bare with me.

Intro: A few weeks ago, I was hospitalized for acute gastrointestinal infection. (translation: digestive system stopped working because of bacterial infection and then you feel nauseated.. throw up.. and have to go the restroom 3 times an hour... yes.. I had to go for almost 40 times a day!) I felt no stomach pain... just felt like I could vomit any second. Actually, every second as I was awake.

The night before I got hospitalized -- I was sampling about 5 or 6 scents on my arm. Hypnose was one of them, and so were the Nasomatto's. At first, I was okay. Most of these scents -- I have tried before a few times and I liked them a lot. However, that night, I fell ill and was plagued with extreme nausea. It was painful. The smell of the clashing scents weren't helping anything either. They felt amplified and ballooned up to the point of making my head feel like it would implode. (not exactly, but that's what I felt at that time)

A few days later, after leaving the hospital, I revisited these scents and find it very strange that there are many scents that I can no longer stand -- such as L'Instant EDP as well as the Hypnose Homme. Nasomatto Absinthe is also too much for me now.

Thing is -- before I got sick, I still liked them (I remembered I LOVED Absinthe and was even considering a full bottle purchase) -- but I tried using them a few times and almost immediately had to wash them all off every time because it got a very negative response from my body -- it just makes me feel... sick and repulsed. That's when I thought to myself... "Oh s**t! What happened to my sense of smell and my brain's olfactory receptors?!" (Okay, the thought was in Thai -- so I had to get a bit creative with the translation)

At first I thought it was temporary -- but it has been a while and nothing has changed at all. Lately, I tend to aim for the incense, tea, and gourmand type-scents or ones that are quite sharp. (like Sequoia) I find that I can no longer use many "rounded" smooth orientals and scents with certain types of leathers. (My body isn't scared of Dzing, and I think it's great)

Here's a brief list of scents that I get an extremely negative response from:
    Lancome Hypnose
    Canali Black Diamond (the "leather" !)
    Nicole Miller Men (the "leather" !)
    Must de Cartier

From what I learnt in the times that I was awake in psychology class, maybe my body has associated the scent with illness? So how do I uncondition myself? My other guess is that they all a certain aromachemical that my body (but not me) is now phobic of.

Before this misfortune, I was able to give a fair judgement of almost every scent without feeling sick -- even the viler ones. (ELdO I'm looking at you!) Even if I didn't like it, I was able to fully wear it and see how it goes. Now, I have to be careful about I try.

I'm curious... has anyone ever had a permanent impact of enjoyment of certain scents because of illness? Is there a cure or a fix? Some advice would really be appreciated.

Really, it's a shame... Orientophobia is something that I don't want. I like(d) orientals!

IN BRIEF: I just get very sick when I smell many scents now, but I haven't lost my sense of smell.
    Last edited by moltening; 8th August 2008 at 04:03 AM.

Default Re: Enjoyment of Scents I Once Loved is GONE because of.. *illness*? -Your Advice Nee

Hey, get well soon buddy! and dont worry, im sure its just a passing phase, you will get over it and Duro shall rock your boat again

Blog Entries

Default Re: Enjoyment of Scents I Once Loved is GONE because of.. *illness*? -Your Advice Nee

i'm not a psyciatrist, but i am a doctor.....and what i can tell you is that we see alot of olfactory 'memory' usage in patients. for example, if someone was eating a pizza before something terrible happens to them; they WILL associate the smell of pizza to something terrible for an amount of time following the incident.

basically what you're experiencing is a negative connection of smell to experience.

what i would recommend to you, is not to fight the connection by forcing yourself to try scents....don't worry about them for a while. maybe even let go completely for a month or two.....and then slowly get back into the fold when you feel comfortable.

as much as we love fragrances round here, they are not essential to your survival....so some time away from your hobby is definitely a sound investment.

when your memory linkage becomes a bit softer, and you are a bit distanced from your illness, you will likely not have this strong of a reaction to fragrances.

either way, hopefully you're better now, and stay well!

His Duro is with me now, including many others!

Note, I wore nothing when I got sick, therefore, I haven't hated any scent because of illness. I guess it's just a matter of time. Bear with this feeling a while longer and you shall be okay once again. Try them again when you don't feel scared of opening the sample vials of orientals.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Avery Gilbert addresses this in his new book, "What the Nose Knows." I agree with everso... lay off it for a while, and then you can gradually reintroduce yourself until you're not so sensitive anymore.

I have a permanent smell/taste connection with celery and being ill from a stomach flu. It has been about 18 years since the incident, and I still have problems with celery, albeit not the extreme reaction I used to have. So, I agree with the others--best to not force it. However, I think everybody is different, so there is no saying how much time it will take.

I also have some scent associations from growing up--mainly a bad memory of church which makes incense scents tough for me. That is a totally different sensation than the physical reaction I have with celery, though.

Default Re: Scent enjoyment permanently GONE because of.. *illness*? -Your Help Needed-

Moltening, really sorry about what happened and I hope you are doing much better. I really, think Everso's advice was the best here. Don't force the issue. Lay off it for a while.

Wish you the best of health from now on my friend .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent enjoyment permanently GONE because of.. *illness*? -Your Help Needed-

I can tell you that it is also possible to change associations in a positive way by introducing scents during positive experiences. For instance, I was not a fan of Obsession for Men (classic oriental) during its early years on the market. My brother gave me a bottle, not knowing this, and it's all I had with me during a recovery from depression. After my recovery, I had very positive feelings toward this scent.

I wonder if this is a natural adaptation to avoid things (foods, plants, natural substances, etc.) that cause sickness, and to like things that make us feel better or healthier. Might be a fairly primitive thing. Animals seem to learn very quickly to avoid nasty things.

I would take it easy, like everyone is saying. Maybe you can slowly sneak back to your old orientals by using new, very different orientals and positive experiences. But if they trigger the same thing, it would be wise to back off.

Glad you're healthy again. And glad that you didn't get anosmia (total loss of sense of smell). That would have been even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I wonder if this is a natural adaptation to avoid things (foods, plants, natural substances, etc.) that cause sickness, and to like things that make us feel better or healthier. Might be a fairly primitive thing. Animals seem to learn very quickly to avoid nasty things.
    Yes, that's exactly what it is, a safeguard that has held over from our hunter/gatherer days. Your sense of smell, which mainly we use for pleasure these days, was once the front line of your survival tools. If you ate something that made you violently sick, your body would file that smell under, "RUN!! DO NOT EAT!!"

This is why the sense of smell is the most powerful one for evoking memories. Way, way back when we were little better than ambitious monkeys, your sense of smell kept you alive.

For years, I couldn't stand the smell of bourbon because a friend of mine mixed me up some kind of home remedy for my flu symptoms that I drank and then promptly threw back up, and kept throwing up and throwing up and throwing up.

Okay, actually, I guess I still hate the smell of bourbon, because thinking about that night just made me feel kind of hot and cold all over and a little nauseous.

If I were you, Moltening, I would follow these good people's advice and take some time away from those scents when your memories of being ill aren't so close and powerful.

Sorry you had to go through that, it sounds absolutely awful, by the way. Glad you're feeling better.

From my experience after an extremely severe reaction, I have to tell you that it's not something that will go away anytime soon. I've had a similar occasion related with severe food poisoning which caused me to have explosive ::ahem:: and had me running to the bathroom every five feet or so. What you can do to try and recondition yourself is to try and have your body re-associate the scents with a different condition. Try applying the scents after a hard exercise when you have endorphins ::happy juice:: running through you, or apply them when something good happens.

I once returned from a trip to Japan with a multi-symptom flu - the respiratory, the stomach, everything. Did not use anything while actively ill, but while on the mend the only fragrances I wore were Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermes and Imperiale by Guerlain. They were more "tonic" than fragrance statements. My taste for heavier, lasting scents came back in due course, about 3 weeks in my case. Don't stress about this - let your body heal and just go with the flow. You'll wake up one morning in the near future just itching to wear your best oriental or leather fragrance and it'll be beautiful.

Hmmmm
    Your brain needs to associate these scents you once loved with good things.

Maybe spray them on while having sex? Or just before you have an orgasm?
    Or apply them when you are drunk?

(yes i am crazy)

Serious now.
    I think this is the ultimate nightmare for a Basenoter.
    I hope you can fix this problem.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 31st July 2008 at 12:08 AM.

Good advice has been given and I hope that everything works out in Your favor.....Above all....get well and be healthy.....we will be waiting for a Great report.
    Gary

Thanks for all your kind advice for this little nightmare of mine. I really appreciate it.

I snuck out my bottle of Hypnose and sprayed it (outside of course) again today. (I shouldn't have done that!) And yes, you're right -- I won't be visiting it again for a very long time.

However, luckily, I still enjoy many other scents -- and I guess, in a way, it has made my tastes change. Perhaps this is for the better. After all, there's so many good ones still out there to be discovered.

JBL -- As for "spraying" during orgasm -- I think it will freak her out... haha.. Okay, that was pretty inappropriate I wouldn't think spraying when I'm drunk would help -- but when I'm high... just maybe!

The "using scents during good experiences", or when my endorphin is high, seems like a good idea. Perhaps when I take a vacation, am at the local spa, or when I do some exercise.

I'll get back in a month or so with a report! Trying to stay on the bright side here.

moltening ..
    I agree with everso and I would also like to add that there is a whole world of natural cosmetics out their that fall under the Aromatherapy umbrella . You really should look into them as they can be 100% natural if you make them yourself or buy them from a reputable company . I have many perfumed oils & they are exquisite .
    You don't have to wear them either ! as most can be diffused or used via a burner .
    Perhaps a visit to the home fragrance forum would be valuable to you .
    get well soon .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    A bit long here, so please bare with me.

Intro: A few weeks ago, I was hospitalized for acute gastrointestinal infection. (translation: digestive system stopped working because of bacterial infection and then you feel nauseated.. throw up.. and have to go the restroom 3 times an hour... yes.. I had to go for almost 40 times a day!) I felt no stomach pain... just felt like I could vomit any second. Actually, every second as I was awake.

The night before I got hospitalized -- I was sampling about 5 or 6 scents on my arm. Hypnose was one of them, and so were the Nasomatto's. At first, I was okay. Most of these scents -- I have tried before a few times and I liked them a lot. However, that night, I fell ill and was plagued with extreme nausea. It was painful. The smell of the clashing scents weren't helping anything either. They felt amplified and ballooned up to the point of making my head feel like it would implode. (not exactly, but that's what I felt at that time)

A few days later, after leaving the hospital, I revisited these scents and find it very strange that there are many scents that I can no longer stand -- such as L'Instant EDP as well as the Hypnose Homme. Nasomatto Absinthe is also too much for me now.

Thing is -- before I got sick, I still liked them (I remembered I LOVED Absinthe and was even considering a full bottle purchase) -- but I tried using them a few times and almost immediately had to wash them all off every time because it got a very negative response from my body -- it just makes me feel... sick and repulsed. That's when I thought to myself... "Oh s**t! What happened to my sense of smell and my brain's olfactory receptors?!" (Okay, the thought was in Thai -- so I had to get a bit creative with the translation)

At first I thought it was temporary -- but it has been a while and nothing has changed at all. Lately, I tend to aim for the incense, tea, and gourmand type-scents or ones that are quite sharp. (like Sequoia) I find that I can no longer use many "rounded" smooth orientals and scents with certain types of leathers. (My body isn't scared of Dzing, and I think it's great)

Here's a brief list of scents that I get an extremely negative response from:
    Lancome Hypnose
    Canali Black Diamond (the "leather" !)
    Nicole Miller Men (the "leather" !)
    Must de Cartier

From what I learnt in the times that I was awake in psychology class, maybe my body has associated the scent with illness? So how do I uncondition myself? My other guess is that they all a certain aromachemical that my body (but not me) is now phobic of.

Before this misfortune, I was able to give a fair judgement of almost every scent without feeling sick -- even the viler ones. (ELdO I'm looking at you!) Even if I didn't like it, I was able to fully wear it and see how it goes. Now, I have to be careful about I try.

I'm curious... has anyone ever had a permanent impact of enjoyment of scent because of illness? Is there a cure or a fix? Some advice would really be appreciated.

Really, it's a shame... Orientophobia is something that I don't want. I like(d) orientals!
    Hi Moltening ... Has a miracle occured ? or have you caught the polling bug ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

No miracle yet... I have to clarify though.. that I didn't permanently lose my enjoyment of all scents... it's just that I can no longer enjoy many scents that I used to enjoy before the incident... Sorry for not being so clear ... I have to be careful about what I try because I get negative responses from more than half the scents I try nowadays... My nose and body isn't as "accepting" as before...

As for the the poll... it includes the ones that I am comfortable with... Tea is personally a very big comfort scent for me as it has very nice associations... Tea for Two makes me happy every time I wear it. (over the course of using a small decant) After I finished my exams, I tried wearing some scents that I got negative responses from with T42 on the other hand and I'm not sure why -- but I was much more comfortable with them when I sniffed them back and forth. (But I still had to wash it off after a while anyway ) The rest are also mostly sweet and inoffensive... and are ones that make me comfortable...

I still love scents... but this kind of bodily reaction is very new to me... I think it's a very specific thing because I get no reaction on some scents -- while I get very negatives ones from the likes of Hypnose, Carlos Santana Man, Baldessarini Ambre, Nicole Miller, and such... Which are all ones I could appreciate in the past. I am still thankful that my body hasn't associated ALL scents to illness.
    Last edited by moltening; 4th August 2008 at 07:57 AM.

Aww hope you get better soon Moltening! However, I think it would take awhile to get over. I associate Narciso Rodriguez with a long trip in the car and nausea - from late last year! We still do not get along well, which is unfortunate because I used to love it!

I'm a bit worried now - I just bought Dior Homme and the first time I wore it was to a very drunk 21st, and I could still smell it the (painful) morning after!
    Hopefully next time I spray it on I won't feel hungover :O
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Default Re: Enjoyment of certain scents permanently GONE because of.. *illness*?

Just a quick follow-up. Nothing much has changed though.

I find that I can't do "tobacco" like in D&G PH and Baldessarini. (TF, T42, etc with smoky tobacco seems to be a totally different note) And Hypnose and friends still aren't accepted.

Anthony -- hopefully you'd associate it with the 'fun' part before the hangover.

jillsy - try going for the musc version, it is much more subtle and might make you appreciate the EDT/EDP again. got my mom a bottle and she loves it.
    Last edited by moltening; 8th August 2008 at 04:10 AM.

Default Re: Enjoyment of certain scents permanently GONE because of.. *illness*?

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    Just a quick follow-up. Nothing much has changed though.

I find that I can't do "tobacco" like in D&G PH and Baldessarini. (TF, T42, etc with smoky tobacco seems to be a totally different note) And Hypnose and friends still aren't accepted.

Anthony -- hopefully you'd associate it with the 'fun' part before the hangover.

jillsy - try going for the musc version, it is much more subtle and might make you appreciate the EDT/EDP again. got my mom a bottle and she loves it.
    Moltening, amigo, just PUT THEM AWAY for a few weeks. If you keep pulling them out and smelling them every day and going, "Urrrrrrrrp! Still not okay!" you're never going to get the chance to break the nausea association. Put them in their boxes and put them under the bed for a couple months. I feel fairly confident that you have some other frags to play with.

I recommend you keep them with me!!! 555
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Moltening, amigo, just PUT THEM AWAY for a few weeks. If you keep pulling them out and smelling them every day and going, "Urrrrrrrrp! Still not okay!" you're never going to get the chance to break the nausea association. Put them in their boxes and put them under the bed for a couple months. I feel fairly confident that you have some other frags to play with.
    Yes, be careful here. This is exactly what people were warning about with the bad ones - leave 'em alone for a while.

Jillsy - so sorry to hear about Narciso Rodriguez. It's one of my top five feminines - I think it's just awesome.

KiatBkk - LOL!!! Hey - what are friends for?