Code of Conduct

Default I Bought My First Jo Malone

Recently I deposited my paycheck and decided to run some errands near the mall (Southcoast Plaza to be exact). I went to Nordstrom, gawking at all the choices to see what to add to my collection.

I did not want citrus and I did not want something heavy and I did not want something in between. Since this mall is not always on my way I decided to try the Aqua Di Parma series; they were nice but I did not want to force myself to buy something. After this, I went to visit an old friend of mine who works at Saks (I was really gawking when I saw the cologne and perfume section). LOL. I passed by Jo Malone but decided I would come back and discover the line for the very first time.

After walking a couple of minutes, I spotted a Jo Malone boutique and went in, again no intention to buy. I feel in love with all the fragrances, especially Amber and Lavender which will not wreak havoc on my mom's allergies (I know lavender is ok for me to wear around her). At first I wanted to buy that for everyday use but then she showed me Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. Let’s just say I bought it and I am addicted to the scent. There is something that feels different about it. The bad news is the boutique only had the small size, but Saks still has the large size and pay day will be soon.

The lady also gave me samples of Amber and Lavender, Pomegranate Noir, and Lime Basil Mandarin.
    Last edited by saam16; 29th July 2008 at 11:18 PM.

Default Re: I Bought My First Jo Malone

Cool. Sounds like a great buy for you. Jo Malone is a nice line and you should seriously consider Amber and Lavender too. Let us know if you get another Jo Malone and thanks for sharing.

I think they are all great fragrances. Funny, when I tried Dark Amber and Ginger Lily, something about it reminded me of Bond No. 9 Silver Factory. Am I nuts? Wait......don't answer that!

I only tried one Bond and it was not Bond No. 9.

I want to buy another Malone but I need to finish what I have. Right now Gucci Pour Homme II is almost done (that being my everday cologne) and I won't be buying another one (if I do the small size). So Malone is my next choice! I would prefer Amber and Lavender along with the shower gel and candle.

There was one that had, I think, vanilla and incense. That was my favorite too.

Also, I saw the new Gucci Pour Homme! Lets just say the bottle blows Gucci for women out of the water.
    Last edited by saam16; 29th July 2008 at 11:46 PM.

When I was at Saks, the Bond fragrances did not impress me. Personally I feel you are paying more for the packaging, but I could be wrong.

I just sprayed a small sprit of Pomegranate Noir and I love how the pomegranate does not feel synthetic. Is it true that the Malone line trys to avoid using a lot of chemicals? Also, has anybody used the shower gels? If so, how is the lasting power?
    Last edited by saam16; 30th July 2008 at 12:20 AM.

Is Dark Amber and Ginger Lily good for clubbing??????

Basenotes Institution

I loved DAAGL also when I smelled it - it really didn't smell like most of the Jo Malone line...it had a little more character to it than some of her transparent, simple scents. Kind of like Pomegranate Noir, but no so 'dark' and mentholated.

Would I wear it clubbing? Probably not. But if it makes you feel good, wear it clubbing saam16!

The lady said that this is a limited edition and because I bought the small size I have to use it sparingly. Although, payday is not that far away so I will buy the full size too!

As for the club, I feel it is too refined to wear to a club. LOL.

But what if I find a full size of Chanel Antaeus? Then what?

So many choices. Hmmmm.

I like dark amber and ginger lily and have bought the small bottle, 30 ml. as a gift for a couple of friends. Nice work Jo Malone.

Is this really a limited edition?

I can't stop smelling this; I have been carrying the bottle everywhere inside the house.

Also, is this cologne more suitable for summer or winter?
    Last edited by Saami; 30th July 2008 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saami View Post
    Is this really a limited edition? I can't stop smelling this; I have been carrying the bottle everywhere inside the house. Also, is this cologne more suitable for summer or winter?
    It is a limited edition and I think its spring release was intentional for warm weather wearing.

I am happy for your find! It is always exciting to find a fragrance that you love.

Also, glad to see a fellow Orange County Basenoter! I am in Bryant Ranch (Yorba Linda).

I like to go to Southcoast Plaza when I can because of fragrances. Do you ever go to Southcoast Plaza?

I like to go to Southcoast Plaza when I can because of fragrances. Do you ever go to Southcoast Plaza?
    Quite a bit! South Coast has most everything. I really enjoy that I can buy fragrances directly from the boutiques.

One they are lacking in though (Comme Des Garcons), I have to drive to Baney's in Beverly Hills to get.

I agree that the boutiques make it fun!

I have to track down a full size of Dark Ginger and Amber Lily. Before I went to bed, I had to take a quick sniff. LOL.

We may run into each other. If you are heading down South Coast let me know. I have not smelled the Chanel private collection, but it is so intimidating to go in there.
    Last edited by Saami; 30th July 2008 at 05:41 PM.

We may run into each other. If you are heading down South Coast let me know. I have not smelled the Chanel private collection, but it is so intimidating to go in there.
    Just remember that they are trying to sell you something. It is thier job to impress you, not you them.

Very true!

If I get a paycheck next week should I get full size of Dark Ginger and Amber Lily or a full 3.4 Chanel Antaeus?
    Last edited by Saami; 30th July 2008 at 05:54 PM.

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I need some help deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by saam16 View Post
    I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I need some help deciding.
    I have not smelled either, but if you are so taken with the Jo Malone, i would say get that one.

Jo Malone scents are know for their ability to be layered with one another, so you could mix the two or wear them by themselves. Essentially you will have purchased 3 fragrances.

Thumbs up Re: I Bought My First Jo Malone

Quote Originally Posted by saam16 View Post
    When I was at Saks, the Bond fragrances did not impress me. Personally I feel you are paying more for the packaging, but I could be wrong.

I just sprayed a small sprit of Pomegranate Noir and I love how the pomegranate does not feel synthetic. Is it true that the Malone line trys to avoid using a lot of chemicals? Also, has anybody used the shower gels? If so, how is the lasting power?
    The shower gels are fantastic and leave a great skin scent with the most sillage I have ever experienced from a bath product alone. A great base for layering!

Before I begin to reply, let me first take out my Jo Malone and take a sniff. Mmmmmmmm.

Ok now to begin. I guess I have to get a shower gel now but that is ok. My eyes are set on the Amber and Lavender, LBM, and Pomegrante Noir.

Also, I think getting a 3.4 ounce of Dark Amber and Ginger Lily would be a better investment. I just have to hurry before it is gone.
    Last edited by saam16; 31st July 2008 at 02:31 AM.

i have tried A&L and PN. both are great. Though I likw PN more, I think I would find more occasions to wear A&L. PN smells similiar to the Comme des Gracons Sequoia which is a tremendous frag.

By the By, Although PN is marketed as uni, I have shown it to Ladies, and they have all agreed that it is too masculine for them to wear. Cold weather makes this one shine.

Good Luck, and let us know how it turns out.

I will definently keep you posted.

My nose and taste has changed so much.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde65 View Post
    I think they are all great fragrances. Funny, when I tried Dark Amber and Ginger Lily, something about it reminded me of Bond No. 9 Silver Factory. Am I nuts? Wait......don't answer that!
    No, you are NOT the only one. These two scents are very alike.

Dark Amber & Ginger Lily is slightly less smoky and brighter (it doesn't smell dark at all, as the title implies). But that metallic incense vibe...it's here too.

I'm not sure I like DAGL. I was thinking it was more amber prominent. But it really isn't. It also smells uncompromisingly, like something I should be wearing in Spring. Plus, it seems like it's out-of-stock wherever you look (except for Ebay).

I've always thought Dark Amber and Ginger Lily were two seperate fragrances and I never really bothered to reasearch about it. The only Jo Malone I'm curious about is the Pomogranate Noir.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Congrats to the OP for discovering this very special line! The Jo Malone experience is a very luxurious one from their frags, to their packaging, to their service...but of course you pay for all of that.
    Amber & Lavendar was my first JM purchase and is probably still my favorite. A small bottle of Sweet Lime & Cedar shall be mine later this week!
    Their bath oils are really excellent and can also be used as fragrance oils, the shower gels smell great and fragrance you for hours, and with the creams/lotions you may not even have to spritz any additional fragrance on. Last Saturday I layered Wild Fig & Cassis lotion with Verbenas de Provence lotion and smelled great all day into Sunday.
    I am just starting to try their home products.
    Neiman Marcus sells JM fragrance collections at this time of year. Saks may too. They are a great way to get aquainted with the line and start layering the frags.
    ENJOY!

I wish I could find a job fast right now but things over here are not getting any better.

I have my eyes set on a full size bottle of Jo Malone and Chanel Anteus (execuse the mis-spelling).
    Last edited by saam16; 5th October 2008 at 12:17 AM.

I think Jo Malone's Orange Blossom smells like heaven on earth. I've just purchased my second bottle. Hope they never stop making it