Code of Conduct
    Sur la Plage

Default Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Perfumes

Has anyone tried these? Neiman Marcus had testers. There was a little bit left in the Floriental tester, and from what little I was able to put on me I liked. Will definitely test it again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld signs his first collaboration with Coty by launching a trio of perfumes titled Kapsule inspired by the fashion concept of the "capsule wardrobe" whereby all items have been carefully selected and the wardrobe downsized to allow for maximum mix-and-match play between the different pieces of clothing. Likewise, Light, Floriental and Woody are the 3 volumes in this mini library of scents that were created to be mixed and matched or worn alone.

The scents are reported be neither too masculine nor feminine. They were purposefully developed also to be qualitative yet affordable: the first size at 30 ml is priced at 37 Euros or $59 (European price), a double-requirement that leader Coty can deliver in principle.

Light was composed by Marc Buxton of Symrise and has notes of bitter orange, jasmine, nutmeg, clove and musk.

Floriental was created by Emilie Coppermann also of Symrise, with notes of ivy leaf, violet and black tea leaf notes.

Woody is the child of Olivier Cresp and includes notes of cedar, moss, and plum.

The Kapsule trio will debut in October in France at Colette and Marionnaud, then in Germany, travel retail, the US in November, exclusively at Neiman Marcus for the latter. Australia will discover it in the spring and China no later than September 2009.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 3rd August 2008 at 04:45 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Karl Lagerfeld Kapsule Perfumes

The bottles are cute.

I'm looking forward to smelling the Light. Joe - you might want to correct your post above, the perfumer for Light is Marc Buxton.

The whole thing seems a bit gimmicky. Exclusive to Colette and Neiman Marcus????? Make up your mind, is this meant to be trendy or ostentatious?

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Joe - you might want to correct your post above, the perfumer for Light is Marc Buxton.
    Thanks - Corrected.

I copied it from the Scented Salamander, and they have it as Max - and I didn't even pay attention to their typo.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Yup, there's a Jo Malone mix-n-match thing going on, I was impressed and yet, not so impressed. I'll explain...

I was impressed in the way the three scents meld together very seamlessly, rich, complex, yet modern (translated not overpowering). All three together reminds me of an pared down version of Narciso Rodriguez for Her without all that vanilla and musk. Singularly and in pairs works fine though understated.

LIGHT - Very light indeed--gone in 1-2 hours. Citrus top over cedar with slightly spicy undertones on a base of white musk. The jasmine in it lacks the indolic quality, therefore making it just a filler to add brightness. Unfussy office or casual day out scent. Reminds me of the citrus woody nature of Versace Eau Fraiche.

FLORIENTAL - I consider this the heart of the trio. Violets with a green personality aided by ivy leaves. The black tea gives it an earthy (or even tobacco-ey), spicy, woody tone. Lasts 3-4 hours on my skin.

WOODY - This kapsule is the most notable. Bright fresh berry (oh well, I guess a bright plum) and citrus notes that segues into cedar sweetened by the berry/plum giving it an amber like impression. Doesn't stay this way for too long when the dark moss appears giving it a textured earthiness. Lasts closer to 4 hours on my skin.

I wasn't so impressed in the sense that they all somehow smelled familiar, so there's nothing goundbreaking in any aspect.

All in all they're not interesting enough to buy as a single despite the fact that they are done well, at least not for the price for a single ($110US). Get the boxed trio in the 1oz. bottle sizes for $150--makes much more sense.

Marketed as unisex for all three, I think that it teeters more towards the masculine side. I consider it a balanced masculine although excellent for women who like to keep the florals in a scent in check.

I purchased the trio set BTW.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 7th December 2008 at 07:04 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I tested these on paper yesterday.

Woody and Floriental gave me positive initial impressions. I didn't like Light at all.

I've tried two out of three so far (Light and Floriental) and so far am pretty disappointed. First of all, these seem more like unfinished bases that need something added to them. Or you could say they're like well-known blockbuster scents with all the identifying, unique, characteristics removed.

Secondly, however, I don't know why the marketers give incomplete, inaccurate descriptions of scents. Recently I've encountered several scents, including Light, that have dominant notes that aren't mentioned in the official scent description. In the case of Light, Clary Sage practically screams at you, and yet its not mentioned in the description at all. And Floriental certainly has woods and florals (jasmine) that aren't listed in the description, although its so pale and faded you would hardly notice.

When you combine all that with the bottles that were borrow from YBRY, there's nothing interesting or original about them at all.

Saw these at Bloomingdale's. Thought they were way over-priced.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The bottles are cute.

True, the bottles are kind of cute, however, Karl L is one butt ugly human being. Who was the bright spark that determined slipping that ghoulish mug into the ad copy would do anything to help sales?

Mix and match, eh? Since Perfume_Addict finds these scents incomplete I wonder what would happen if you mixed and matched, layered, them?

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    True, the bottles are kind of cute, however, Karl L is one butt ugly human being.
    Most designers are not attractive. Then again, did you mean KL is unattractive as a person???

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Sur la Plage

I finally was able to fully try these - I did not think much of them.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 5th June 2009 at 08:35 AM.

I think the Floriental one is really good, and has heaps of longevity.

The Woody one I liked, but it had more standard staying power, not the above average one like Floriental.

The light one went subtle too quickly for my taste - I won't say it completely disappeared after several hours, as it was still there - but I'd want something more potent than that.

Renato

I bought samples of the three Kapsules, then I graduated to minis and now I own full bottles of Light and Woody (bought at extremely good price on e-Bay) and looking forward to buying a full bottle of Floriental. I have not layered them yet.
    I love Woody. Light is a nice everyday fragrance, but it is light.
    Dimitri wrote a nice review of Woody.
    Evenstar

Kapsule Woody is a gorgeous perfume !!

I love it and i am happy that i got a nearly full bottle through a swap

Its an incredible fragrance which owns more popularity and i would say the plum is the note that i am interested in mmmm

another good plum perfume is activist by body shop and also cheap 100ml 24 bucks !!!
    My astonishing Top 10 fragrances :

1. Hombre by Victorio & Lucchino
    2. Antidote Viktor&Rolf
    3. Pure Havane Thierry Mugler
    4. Ambre Baldessarini
    5. Pure Malt Thierry Mugler
    6. Ultrared Men Paco Rabanne
    7. Jacques Fath pour L`Homme
    8. Silver Scent Jacques Bogart
    9. Chastity Men Rasasi
    10. Blue Sugar Aquolina

Didn't care much for this series when I tried them.

I have all three now, and gave a set to each of my two nephews.

I told them that each of the three could be used alone, but that they were also made to be mixed with each other.

The younger one loves mixing Light and Floriental together. The older one prefers the Woody one alone.
    Regards,
    Renato