Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Varvatos Vintage

after a slight internal debate, i bought a bottle of Varvatos Vintage last week to replace the Hermes Eau D'Orange after i oversprayed its longevity-less glory into oblivion.

I continue to not be very impressed with the regular Varvatos scent, HOWEVER the Vintage stuff is really damn impressive.

It's a very bright, floral, sweet and not-so-sweet fragrance. The opening notes are definitely rhubarb-influenced, but that wears off in 10 minutes. What's left is some sort of a boozy, fruity-leathery combination which is out of this world in this humid, hot NYC summer.....it really does smell amazing. It doesn't have the vanilla overtones that the original Varvatos has....but it's got a kick of leather juiced up in it. Every time i wear it, i love it more and more......it's so easy to use, cheap to buy, and has alot of class......and i get plenty of longetivity and sillage from it.

i'm officially impressed.
    Last edited by everso; 30th July 2008 at 04:16 AM.

Dependent

Default Re: Varvatos Vintage

that was an excellent review everso and it caused Varvatos Vintage to move up several notches on my to buy list.

Agreed. I've tried both and Vintage is the better of the two and that leather base makes this scent have a very nice dry down. The only downside is that it barely lasts 4 hours on me and the initial blast has a strong synthetic smell. But eh, what do you expect from a 40 dollar scent?

Well, I think that teh orginal V. and the Vintage are quite different. liking one does not guarantee liking the other. I also find it quite sweet wich is not bad. It does have a Vintage feel (the rhubarb-leather combo is respinsible for that) but it is quite dinamic and the sweet fruits vindicates it as a very modern and urban fragrance. I also expirience poor longevity

I like the original Varvatos, I'll keep my eyes open for testing the Vintage version.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I hated Vintage when I first bought it blind. But since I bought it, I felt like I should try it again and again. Then, after a few times a light went on and I loved it. (Let this be a lesson that blind buying can be a GREAT thing-- if I'd just gotten a sample, I'd have tossed it aside.)

Vintage is one of my secret weapons. I wear it anytime I want to assert my masculinity at work or otherwise. I've worn it on dates with great results-- women dig it. The original John Varvatos is good-- an overload of eugenol notes and vanilla-- kind of like Egoiste, but I think Vintage is more original and refined.

Blog Entries

All this talk is making me reconsider Vintage. I had sampled Vintage in the store and not liked it, even though it stood out. Indie's comments tell me I should try it again. I did sample original after hearing that it was like D&G the one, which I have grown to love over time, and I see the similarity, but no need for such a similar fragrance for me. Vintage may be different enough to warrant adding it.

Blog Entries

nice to see some others who appreciate this scent as much as i do!!

to those of you who are thinking to try it again, i DEFINITELY encourage it.....i was with you guys, the first few tests i did with it left me a bit underwhelmed...but when i "got it" i really did get it.....once you can get your head wrapped around all the different stuff going on in this scent, it can REALLY take you to a very interesting olfactory experience!