Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: suggest some modern winter frags?

Carven Homme. Holiday spices but also a nice dusty quality with a pinch of vanilla.

Blog Entries

In addition to the above, I'd suggest:

Michael Storer Winter Star
    Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    Montale Black Aoud
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble & D'Habit
    YSL M7
    Givenchy Pi
    Serge Luten Musc Muscs Koublaï Khän
    Zino Davidoff
    Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano

Reporting back:

Tried quite a few of the ones mentioned in the days since I posted.

Michael by Michael Kors - I like this one a lot. Usually tobacco notes are too artificial for me, and leather seems to hide behind 20 pounds of fruit, but this one achieved a nice balance. This is what Varvatos for men could have been if they didn't squeeze a whole plum in each bottle for mass market purposes.

M7 - I... think I liked it? I can't really seem to decide. Either way, I don't believe it is something I could wear outside. I'll track down the fresh version if I can, to see if that one is more tolerable.

Bvlgari Black - I had a great time with this one for a few days until I accidentally spilled half of my sample on my wrist. The tar note is wonderful in small doses, but was the most nauseating thing ever in condensed dosage. I'll try it again in a few weeks once I forget the experience.

Burberry London - I really liked this one too. There is something about the spices and wood that really remind me of a toned town l'anarchiste by Caron, which I already have and enjoy. I will probably end up with a bottle of this eventually.

Escada Magnetism - This was a fun one, but I don't think I could get enough use out of it to justify a whole bottle purchase. I totally get the whole vanilla coke thing though. I'll wear it to a party now and again to confuse my friends.

Declaration Essence - Not a fan. There is some sort of sour note that turns me off. Sort of like someone hid a pile of old socks in the woods. On the same run, I did try Pasha (also by Cartier) and was quite pleased with it, though it wasn't anything to turn heads.

Givenchy Pi - My skin seems to bring out the worst in vanilla on occasion. This trial was a messy one.

YSL Opium - Wearing it now. I quite like it, but I can't shake the root beer association that some people mentioned in it's reviews. That's what I get for reading too much about a fragrance before smelling it.

Didn't purchase samples of the Dior suggestions, since I figured I could try them at the store. The largest fragrance store around me is Dillard's, and they don't stock anything besides Fahrenheit in their Dior section for men. What gives? I am quite envious of anyone living near a Sephora.

I tried Angel Man, Polo Double Black, and Equipage by Hermes on paper but not on the skin yet, so I will reserve judgment. I practically never like anything I try on paper. Not sure why I still bother.

Thanks for the suggestions! I would say the winners so far are Burberry London and Michael by Michael Kors, though I had positive experiences with many.

M7 is an acquired taste. I was completely weirded out by it the first time I smelt it on paper, even more weirded out the first time I tried it on my skin. Then trying it another 2-3 times I really started to like it, and now I have a bottle which I use quite often. Its not as strong on me as all the reviewers claim though
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions! I would say the winners so far are Burberry London and Michael by Michael Kors, though I had positive experiences with many.
    Good luck - London is a great smelling (and affordable) scent and I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I don't like M7 (or Michael Kors) myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Diman View Post
    Why isn't anyone mentioning Lacoste Pour Homme? Isn't it an excellent winter fragrance?
    it's a nice fragrance but it just doesn't last!