Code of Conduct

Thread: Ava Luxe?

Default Ava Luxe?

I was interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on Ava Luxe fragrances......They interest me because they are relatively cheaper than most other niche brands, and they have quite a selection of interesting-sounding scents available.

Can anyone recommend some good ones that they think I should try?

Thanks
    -Lucas

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Ava Luxe?

Midnight Violet
    Film Noir
    Cafe Noir
    Madeleine
    (this was a limited edition, not sure if it's still available?)
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Ava Luxe is a house whose offerings are as diverse and high quality as say.. Serge Lutens. And Ava Luxe is run by just one lady named Serena ...if I'm not mistaken. The only issue I have with some Ava Luxe frags is that they don't last longer on my skin.

Apart from the ons mentioned by Mike, I'd recommend you try these :

Shisha
    Incense Noir

Last edited by Amit; 4th July 2008 at 05:35 AM. Reason: missed a word

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

You essentially get what you pay for - below par creations. I've tested about a dozen fragrances from this house and they're all amateurish in their nature. Most of them are muddy, with an irritating sugary wax accord running through them. I've really tried to have some artistic respect for this house but I can't. Great customer service, though.

I have tried most of the offerings mentioned above, and while I find them interesting, I guess the word that comes to mind is that these are "costume" fragrances. When you wear one of these you are wearing fragrance as a costume, or part of a costume. Now, I have not tried all of them to be sure, just the ones that are recommended for, or are suitable for, men. They are not "classic" or "modern" or even "niche". These fragrances are fun and special and add the element of fragrance to a costume-y frame of mind or situation. I wouldn't wear incense noire, for instance, in any regular rotation. I might think about it for a costume party if I were going as a fireman. Cafe noire is a rich coffee fragrance, which is perfectly all right, but in no wise would I consider it for business, casual, sport of "at home" wearing. I just don't see a time when I would want to smell like a coffee bar, unless I were going to a party as a barista. Now, I don't want to denigrate these fragrances, they are, as I said, perfectly all right, but their POV is special occasion and dramatic. As a consequence, my samples have languished in the drawer of neglect for quite awhile. I would be happy to send them for a modest charge to an interested Basenoter. PM me for particulars.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 5th July 2008 at 03:07 PM.

These were all sort of interesting:
    Tao - warm sunny incense
    Absinthe - very green and severe
    Firewood - raw woods
    Midnight Violet- very cool dark violet - icy dark.

Ava Luxe are all nice but very different too. I've tested a dozen or so of Serena's creations. I recomend you test them - they offer sample sizes on them all. Ava Luxe is similar to other small independant perfumers in that there are a lot of experimentally interesting fragrances to try, but most of them don't have a chance to become a bottle worthy favorite frag. On balance, the quality of formulation is not as well tested and/or corrected as most of the more well known niche house. But the offerings are different, extensive, creatively formulated and fun to try. The number of good fragrances for my taste is about the same as at Ayala Moriel - one in ten works really well. Many creative new formulas - fun to try - but few work really well.

Smile Re: Ava Luxe?

Midnight Violets is my favorite and I think well worth getting a sample of to try. All the rest that I have tried are less than desirable for me. Midnight brings back memories of the two chair barbershop I went to as a young boy. It smells just like the talc and hairdressing the barber used on me back then. Imparts strong happy memories for me.

Rick
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Kama and Shisha are standouts in my mind.
    The former being a fairly skanky musk and the latter being sweet, fruited pipe tobacco.
    If she still offeres her great sampler program, start there,

I've only tried one and that's Madame X which is very similar to Kingom. I like it.
    "While the king is at his table, my perfume fills the air with its fragrance." SoS 1:12

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    You essentially get what you pay for - below par creations. I've tested about a dozen fragrances from this house and they're all amateurish in their nature. Most of them are muddy, with an irritating sugary wax accord running through them. I've really tried to have some artistic respect for this house but I can't. Great customer service, though.
    Thats unfortunate, I am currently contemplating this brand and these replies are making me a bit gun shy. I wish they allowed for customers to order in samples , I'd certainly pay for them .

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Thats unfortunate, I am currently contemplating this brand and these replies are making me a bit gun shy. I wish they allowed for customers to order in samples , I'd certainly pay for them .
    I'm pretty sure The Perfumed Court offers Ava Luxe samples if you have no success directly from them.

Definitely order samples first. I liked Ambra Tibet but it gets a bit boring after a while. I really liked Sweet Absinthe the first time around, so that will get a second wearing for sure. What I've tried has been quite powerful, so don't think the longevity or sillage will be an issue, though of course I've only tried a few so far (don't remember the third).

Thumbs up Re: Ava Luxe?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I own, use, and greatly enjoy her Cafe Noir. At $90 for a 60ml bottle, I don't consider it to be "inexpensive". Neither did I sense what is described above. It's as we say in Hebrew: על טאם וריח אין להתוכח (we don't argue over opinions about taste and smell).

13 March 2008: This was an excellent Shave Of The Day... especially memorable because of the Cafe Noir EDP, following the Mocha Creme shaving soap. Looking back at the SOTD postings on B&B, I see that I "hit the trifecta" that day, when I finished-up with a pot of Kenya AA home-roasted, hand-ground, and fresh-brewed coffee!

Second wearing of Sweet Absinthe, this time a "full" wearing, and I have to say that this is the first niche that I'm seriously considering ordering a full bottle of, though it's only $50 for 60 ml, which is better than most niche. The third I tried is Mousse de Chine, which isn't bad, but not really what I'd pay this kind of money for, and perhaps too "feminine."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 22nd August 2008 at 10:33 PM.