Code of Conduct

Default suggest some modern winter frags?

I already bought all the cologne I could rationalize for the summer months, so it's time for a round of winter samples!

I am soon going to purchase Caron Pour un Homme and Rive Gauche PH which I have previously sampled and loved. I need some modern-style fragrances (timeless ones would be fine too) to round out my winter wardrobe. I am not big on excessively sweet fragrances, except when they are strongly held in check by something bitter (like Body Kouros). Strong fruit notes have not been my thing as of yet, but still willing to give em a shot. I am 23 and rarely in a suit and tie, so youthful and reasonably casual are preferable.

Here are a few of my favorites, to help give you an idea what I like:

(I appear to have a taste for lavender, based on my first few)

Rive Gauche PH (YSL)
    Jicky (Guerlain)
    Caron PuH
    Xeryus (Givenchy)
    l'Anarchiste (Caron)
    Live Jazz (YSL)
    Terre d'Hermes (Hermes)
    Eau d'Orange Verte (Hermes)

Default Re: suggest some modern winter frags?

Give these a try if you are willing to try some boozy ones... they are wonderful in the winter.

Burberry London
    Michael for Men
    Baldessarini Ambre

I have been hearing a lot about London lately. I better give it a shot to see what all the hubbub is about. I see that it has lavender, and that surely couldn't hurt it's cause.

I must rush to work, I am late. I'll come back, promise !
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

It is 1:30 AM where I am, so I have to go to sleep soon anyway. I think i'll give it a bump tomorrow when more people are awake. Any suggestions in the meantime are appreciated as well, of course.

Encens et Lavande from Lutens but it's a cold one, there is nothing warm in it.
    The problem is that lavender is a top note which fades quite quickly. You have Oakmoss and Tree moss which are quite near and long lasting.

You should go for a fougère I think ... What about Equipage from Guerlain ?
    Caron Pour un Homme is very nice but extreemely sweet (which might be nice in winter). You might also like Habit Rouge, Vol de Nuit and Jicky, just give them a try, even if they are not ... modern !

Good night !
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Sur la Plage

Some suggestions:

Thierry Mugler Angel Men
    Thierry Mugler Angel Men Pure Coffee
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Bulgari Black
    Comme des Garcons Parfum
    Gucci Envy
    Gucci pour Homme
    YSL Jazz
    YSL M7
    ST Dupont Noir
    YSL Opium pour Homme
    Rochas Lui
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

What type of skin do you have (oily, normal, dry)?

Also, are you looking for sillage, something that wears close?

Burberry London is mine for Fall and Winter. Love it.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I would highly recomend Escada Magnetism. You can get it pretty cheap on ebay
    Don't Smell the Flowers,
    They're an Evil Drug to Make You Lose Your Mind --- Dio

Creed Himalaya smells like a snowy mountain top.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    I also second Magnetism, it smells great cutting through the crisp cold air.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Some suggestions:
    Gucci pour Homme
    YSL M7
    ST Dupont Noir
    Rochas Lui
    the above and burberry london..if you notice, all are warmer, spicy, woody scents...

Fougere Bengale by Parfum de Empire - Lavender, tarrogon, patchouli, geranium, tobacco, tonka beans, vanilla

Eau Noire by Dior - Cedar, lavender, vanilla

Two straight off the bat.

Bois 1920 Extreme (see my thread elsewhere)

Elixir by Penhaligons - out in October and utterly classy and beautiful

Edit: Oh and Black Walnut by Banana Republic - really deep and spicy with a slightly boozy note to it (hell, I like it so it must have lol).

I like Mont Blanc Presence in Winter too - again pretty spicy.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 30th July 2008 at 07:15 PM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

If you like woody scents, try Declaration Essence. I think that would be a good winter fragrance for a young man.

Quote Originally Posted by baudilus View Post
    What type of skin do you have (oily, normal, dry)?

Also, are you looking for sillage, something that wears close?
    I have somewhere between normal and oily skin, I think. I prefer scents that wear relatively closely. I prefer to be smelled no more a few feet away.

Quote Originally Posted by danho View Post
    That one is intriguing... The reviewers seem to be in agreement that it smells like a vanilla coke. Sounds interesting.

Burberry London has been mentioned by several people, and I very much agree it is a good scent to wear in the winter. It does have a bit of a melancholic quality (it reminds me of grey days in autum, falling leaves and someone smoking a pipe), so it may not really fit your personality.

I would like to add Dior Homme. I've smelled the sillage on several people outside in the winter and it smelled great. It is sweet in the beginning, but after a while you get a very manly and elegant leather smell. In the Netherlands I've smelled it on several young people, it is a modern fragrance and I think it can be worn with casual and formal clothes. Dior Homme is probably the scent I wear the most in the winter.

Nasomatto - Absinth
    Eau d'Italie - Bois d'Ombrie
    Black Tourmaline - Olivier Durbano
    Le Labo - Vetiver 46

Cheap in price but not in quality:
    Carven Homme
    Heritage - Guerlain
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 30th July 2008 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    If you like woody scents, try Declaration Essence. I think that would be a good winter fragrance for a young man.
    Sampled this once and loved it!
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    That one is intriguing... The reviewers seem to be in agreement that it smells like a vanilla coke. Sounds interesting.
    from midnotes to basenotes..this one is a replica of Diesel Zero plus.....i would sample b4 buying this one sir...

depending on your budget.....

By Killian straight to Heaven....straight ahead boozy, beautiful, sweet and absolutely classy and gorgeous.....stays very linear but with the smell like that, the fact that it doesnt change is a huge plus......lasts forever.......but is expensive...240 for the first 50ml bottle....90 dollars for the refill.

Musc Ravageur - spicy/sweet cinnamon/vanilla with musk like aftertone.....great fore evenings. 150 per 50ml bottle

Kiehl's Original Musk - pure animalistic musk but with a youthful edge after the initial sweet opening. 45 dollars for 3.4 oz

Burberry london - boozy and well layered.....good all around but even better in colder months....a cant miss. 45 dollars per 1.7 oz

L'artisan Perfumeur timbuktu - wonderfully beautiful woody fragrance...starts off with deep spicy woods and sweetens out over time....as well crafted of a wood based fragrance as there is. 120 dollars for 50ml.

Burberry london - boozy sweet yet spicy...wonderful designer fragrance.....
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBoy View Post
    I had been meaning to try more Cartier stuff after sampling eau de cartier, but I couldn't decide which to try. This one sounds like a good bet.

Why isn't anyone mentioning Lacoste Pour Homme? Isn't it an excellent winter fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Le Labo - Vetiver 46
    2nd and I'll also include Patchouli 24 in the same line

Incredible lavender: Gris Clair (Serge Lutens).

I love Burberry London and also recommend checking out Antidote by Viktor and Rolf. Lots of vanilla there, but only in the base. There's some lavender up top (LT calls it something ilke "Mutant Lavender" but it's not.. not when on skin!). A heart of nutmeg, cinnamon and jasmine, and a very clear opening of mint, grapefruit and other citrus.

Gris Clair has a wonderful lavender note, although be warned that there is a bit of a campfire ashy note mixed in that is a bit challenging.

Hypnose Homme is heavy on the lavender. It's opening smells like pure Lavender Absolute.

I have somewhere between normal and oily skin, I think. I prefer scents that wear relatively closely. I prefer to be smelled no more a few feet away.
    In this case, I would suggest:

Creed - Himalaya
    Ralph Lauren - Polo Double Black

I would try Double Black first, since you said you only like sweet frags when they are held back by a bitter note. Double Black is a little sweet but is tempered by a coffee note, and it wear very close to the skin.

Himalaya (to me) smells like heaven; it's not sweet or spicy. It's extremely smooth and the signature Creed drydown is to die for.

I don't come with an answer, but with a question:

Would Rocabar by Hermes be an adequate fragrance for winter?

Carven Homme. Holiday spices but also a nice dusty quality with a pinch of vanilla.

In addition to the above, I'd suggest:

Michael Storer Winter Star
    Lorenzo Villoresi Piper Nigrum
    Montale Black Aoud
    Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Santal Noble & D'Habit
    YSL M7
    Givenchy Pi
    Serge Luten Musc Muscs Koublaï Khän
    Zino Davidoff
    Santa Maria Novella Tabacco Toscano

Reporting back:

Tried quite a few of the ones mentioned in the days since I posted.

Michael by Michael Kors - I like this one a lot. Usually tobacco notes are too artificial for me, and leather seems to hide behind 20 pounds of fruit, but this one achieved a nice balance. This is what Varvatos for men could have been if they didn't squeeze a whole plum in each bottle for mass market purposes.

M7 - I... think I liked it? I can't really seem to decide. Either way, I don't believe it is something I could wear outside. I'll track down the fresh version if I can, to see if that one is more tolerable.

Bvlgari Black - I had a great time with this one for a few days until I accidentally spilled half of my sample on my wrist. The tar note is wonderful in small doses, but was the most nauseating thing ever in condensed dosage. I'll try it again in a few weeks once I forget the experience.

Burberry London - I really liked this one too. There is something about the spices and wood that really remind me of a toned town l'anarchiste by Caron, which I already have and enjoy. I will probably end up with a bottle of this eventually.

Escada Magnetism - This was a fun one, but I don't think I could get enough use out of it to justify a whole bottle purchase. I totally get the whole vanilla coke thing though. I'll wear it to a party now and again to confuse my friends.

Declaration Essence - Not a fan. There is some sort of sour note that turns me off. Sort of like someone hid a pile of old socks in the woods. On the same run, I did try Pasha (also by Cartier) and was quite pleased with it, though it wasn't anything to turn heads.

Givenchy Pi - My skin seems to bring out the worst in vanilla on occasion. This trial was a messy one.

YSL Opium - Wearing it now. I quite like it, but I can't shake the root beer association that some people mentioned in it's reviews. That's what I get for reading too much about a fragrance before smelling it.

Didn't purchase samples of the Dior suggestions, since I figured I could try them at the store. The largest fragrance store around me is Dillard's, and they don't stock anything besides Fahrenheit in their Dior section for men. What gives? I am quite envious of anyone living near a Sephora.

I tried Angel Man, Polo Double Black, and Equipage by Hermes on paper but not on the skin yet, so I will reserve judgment. I practically never like anything I try on paper. Not sure why I still bother.

Thanks for the suggestions! I would say the winners so far are Burberry London and Michael by Michael Kors, though I had positive experiences with many.

M7 is an acquired taste. I was completely weirded out by it the first time I smelt it on paper, even more weirded out the first time I tried it on my skin. Then trying it another 2-3 times I really started to like it, and now I have a bottle which I use quite often. Its not as strong on me as all the reviewers claim though
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the suggestions! I would say the winners so far are Burberry London and Michael by Michael Kors, though I had positive experiences with many.
    Good luck - London is a great smelling (and affordable) scent and I don't think you can go wrong with it.

I don't like M7 (or Michael Kors) myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Diman View Post
    Why isn't anyone mentioning Lacoste Pour Homme? Isn't it an excellent winter fragrance?
    it's a nice fragrance but it just doesn't last!