Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 62
  1. #1

    Default The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    I hate to say it. I know that it is a much admired fragrance, but I just do not like this one. I bought a big bottle of it from YSL; although the top notes smell nice enough, the heart and base just smell like a synthetic mess on my skin.

    I am upset because this fragrance should be right up my alley. I really enjoy "classsic" smelling fragrances.

    Has anyone else had this experience with Rive Gauche, or any fragrance that you feel should be spot on to your taste, and it just doen't do anything for you?
    Last edited by The Duke; 30th July 2008 at 07:05 PM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    pls PM me if you are selling it!

  3. #3

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    pls PM me if you are selling it!

    I would; however, I gave it to my Father who is a bit of a closet fragrance addict.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    i had earlier dimissed them(M7 and RG) as overratted and dismal offerings that didnt make sense.....things changed the second time around for me....maybe give it a second chance, a complete wear in a week or so...if it still doesnt work well....hmmm..

    count me in as a fan of RG...

  5. #5

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    I really like the smell of Rive Gauche but there is something about it that I physically react to that I can't wear it. This happens to me with certain frags and it is really frustrating. I could smell it on someone else and be fine, just not on me. I've given frags away to friends just because I couldn't personally wear them but they smell great on my buds.

  6. #6

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    I tried for months to come to grips with Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

    I finally decided that it was a hopeless cause, that I would never love it. I sold it earlier this year without any regrets.

    I chanced to sample it again, along with several others, in a local store. My nose kept coming back to one of the scents.

    I had to confirm my disbelief with another spritz, but my nose has finally accepted Rive Gauche PH! I bought a bottle on the spot. It is the only fragrance I have sold only to repurchase later.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

  7. #7

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I tried for months to come to grips with Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

    I finally decided that it was a hopeless cause, that I would never love it. I sold it earlier this year without any regrets.

    I chanced to sample it again, along with several others, in a local store. My nose kept coming back to one of the scents.

    I had to confirm my disbelief with another spritz, but my nose has finally accepted Rive Gauche PH! I bought a bottle on the spot. It is the only fragrance I have sold only to repurchase later.
    Well considering I just blindly went for it for a great price on ebay I am hoping I get it from the start. If it is the Barbasol/Barbershop smell I should love it
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  8. #8

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    3 years ago, I got a sample of Rive Gauche PH with a purchase. When I tried it, I was puzzled as to why someone would even attempt to sale this. It smelled like salt and clove and brut and....

    Fast forward 2 years and I was in a Perfumania in Birmingham, AL. There were strips laying out and I was just sniffing some of them, and one stopped me dead in my tracks...It was Rive Gauche. I sprayed once on my wrist and lived with it for about 8 hours. That night, I decide I had to have a bottle. If I were forced to pick only 10 frags for my collection, it would probably be one of them. I guess my nose evolved a bit.

    I find it to be incredibly versatile; I can wear it casual or formal, during all four seasons. As one reviewer here on basenotes summed it up...It is the Levis 501 of the fragrance world. I certainly agree; One of my 5 'workhorse' frags in my collection
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 30th July 2008 at 05:47 PM. Reason: spelling

  9. #9

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    No, I've tried but I can't do it. There is something plasticky in there with the goumandy bit. I just don't like it. Smells extra synthetic to me.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

    "Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

    reviews

  10. #10
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,014

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    3 years ago, I got a sample of Rive Gauche PH with a purchase. When I tried it, I was puzzled as to why someone would even attempt to sale this. It smelled like salt and clove and brut and....

    Fast forward 2 years and I was in a Perfumania in Birmingham, AL. There were strips laying out and I was just sniffing some of them, and one stopped me dead in my tracks...It was Rive Gauche. I sprayed once on my wrist and lived with it for about 8 hours. That night, I decide I had to have a bottle. If I were forced to pick only 10 frags for my collection, it would probably be one of them. I guess my nose evolved a bit.

    I find it to be incredibly versatile; I can wear it casual or formal, during all four seasons. As one reviewer here on basenotes summed it up...It is the Levis 501 of the fragrance world. I certainly agree; One of my 5 'workhorse' frags in my collection
    Absolutely agree 100% J_W_S. It's great for work, casual times, and going out at night - 365 days a year.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  11. #11

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    I'm 20, and I didn't like it that much when I tested it the first time.
    But I got a fascinating reaction from my mom, which I posted about a long time ago.

    I bought a 75 ML, and to be honest, I regretted it after a while.
    But now the love for it is back.
    It's so classy. And oh so damn masculine.

    To people who think they are to young to pull this off:
    This smells like you just got a good classic shave. There is nothing old about shaving your face.
    Use this without having shaved for a while, and people will be fascinated.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 30th July 2008 at 06:20 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    I'm one of those that files it under "I really don't understand why anybody likes this at all, let alone consider it a classic". I like the top notes, but after that it's like a million and one other things.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  13. #13
    Surfacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Day Dream
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    I find it to be incredibly versatile; I can wear it casual or formal, during all four seasons. As one reviewer here on basenotes summed it up...It is the Levis 501 of the fragrance world. I certainly agree; One of my 5 'workhorse' frags in my collection

  14. #14

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Life is too short to waste time forcing yourself to like a fragrance. Not even the Greatest EDTs have generalized acceptance.

    Rive Gauche has one of my favorite drydowns. Contrary to the other members, when I first smelled I almost passed out, its called fragasm, I believe. It kicks butts and takes names. I agree with Jock_With_Scents when he says it is very versatile: it has the formality of Antaeus, the everydayness of a barbershop scent and the modernity that Jacques Cavallier and Tom Ford can offer.

    Sometimes I just open the bottle to smell the atomizer.
    Last edited by irish; 30th July 2008 at 06:34 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Well I am glad that I am not alone. Like I said, I really wanted to like this one, but it just doesn't work for me.

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    It smells like Barbasol and I hate Barbasol. It reminds me of Halloween.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    I don't like it either. The woods are too strong, it has a balance problem. Moreover, it's a purely chemical fragrance which gives me headaches.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

  18. #18
    Surfacing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    A Day Dream
    Posts
    4,488

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    It smells like Barbasol and I hate Barbasol. It reminds me of Halloween.
    Not a Halloween fan ?

  19. #19
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,131

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    The Duke - I hate to sound like an anal retentive Basenoter but could you please change the title of this thread to 'The Great Rive Gauche Pour Homme Blaspheme'? Rive Gauche is a womans fragrance. To newcomers it can be a little confusing.

    Oh and on topic - I must say I love this stuff. When I was in Europe I saw the RGPH Shower Gel and Deodorant being sold for not-so-cheap prices and I almost splurged on the shower gel. I was really tempted. But I thought I'd still try to find some cheaper here online, perhaps on Ebay, etc. In the meantime, the scent itself is so friggin good smelling, I do what irish does and I find myself smelling the atomizer top all the time.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 30th July 2008 at 07:52 PM.

  20. #20

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    could you please change the title of this thread to 'The Great Rive Gauche Pour Homme Blaspheme'? [
    Last edited by The Duke; 30th July 2008 at 07:09 PM.

  21. #21

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    Wore it today. It's very pleasant, solid, no-nonsense, non-gimmicky, good longevity, never cloying, clean. Nothing there not to adore. And it reminds me of a holiday in NieuwZeeland earlier this year... Great stuff.

  22. #22
    KMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    3,329

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    I love the drydown, I just can't deal with the 3 or 4 hours it takes to get there...

  23. #23

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

    Oh and on topic - I must say I love this stuff. When I was in Europe I saw the RGPH Shower Gel and Deodorant and not-so-cheap prices and I almost splurged on the shower gel.
    I have the shower gel, and I actually like it a lot more than the EDT. Sometimes the EDT is just too piercing. The shower gel has this mellow, warm vibe that is just awesome.

    -Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

    ____________________________________________
    My swaps and sales are now listed here:
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=124

    And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

  24. #24

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I hate to say it. I know that it is a much admired fragrance, but I just do not like this one. I bought a big bottle of it from YSL; although the top notes smell nice enough, the heart and base just smell like a synthetic mess on my skin.

    I am upset because this fragrance should be right up my alley. I really enjoy "classsic" smelling fragrances.

    Has anyone else had this experience with Rive Gauche, or any fragrance that you feel should be spot on to your taste, and it just doen't do anything for you?
    My experience exactly!

    I can understand why most like this so much, but doesn't work on me.

    The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

  25. #25

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    Though I love RG (first bought blind based on the chatter), I hear what you're saying. No matter how many times I try - and I've tried dozens of times - I simply cannot get into either Guerlain Vetiver or Dior Eau Savage, two classics I'm 'supposed' to like. I'm even a Dior nut and like nearly everything else they make, male or female.

    Sometime you just don't feel it....

  26. #26

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Though I love RG (first bought blind based on the chatter), I hear what you're saying. No matter how many times I try - and I've tried dozens of times - I simply cannot get into either Guerlain Vetiver or Dior Eau Savage, two classics I'm 'supposed' to like. I'm even a Dior nut and like nearly everything else they make, male or female.

    Sometime you just don't feel it....
    I hope that isn't the case when I receive mine because, like you, I can't take Vetiver and Eau Savage hasn't been completely delved into but the initial thought was "lemon bomb" Of course I got it for cheap so I'll just sell it again if so.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  27. #27

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Texas (formerly Boston)
    Posts
    3,089

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I hope that isn't the case when I receive mine because, like you, I can't take Vetiver and Eau Savage hasn't been completely delved into but the initial thought was "lemon bomb" Of course I got it for cheap so I'll just sell it again if so.
    Sorry if I was unclear - I LOVE Rive Gauche, even though I don't the other the other two I mention. The three have nothing in common besides being considered classics.

  28. #28

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Sorry if I was unclear - I LOVE Rive Gauche, even though I don't the other the other two I mention. The three have nothing in common besides being considered classics.
    I got that my response just wasn't concise or clear.. I just meant I hope I don't get the Vetiver effect.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  29. #29

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    From OZ MOZ

    top notes
    aldehydes, bergamot, freesia

    heart note
    rose, jasmine, ylang-ylang., vetiver

    base note
    oak moss, musks, myrrh


    From BASENOTES:
    Top Notes
    Bergamot, Star Anise, Rosemary.


    Middle Notes
    Lavender, Geranium Leaves, Cloves .


    Base Notes
    Vetiver, Gaiac Wood, Patchouli.

    Toughcool,

    If you don't like vetiver, then RGPH could be a 50/50 for you.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 30th July 2008 at 07:51 PM.

  30. #30
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    28,131

    Default Re: The Great Rive Gauche (Pour Homme) Blaspheme

    I love RGPH and I love vetiver. However, I do not consider RGPH a vetiver prominent scent - atleast not on my skin.

Similar Threads

  1. Wore Rive Gauche to work and got BITTEN!
    By Indie_Guy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 88
    Last Post: 12th January 2014, 07:16 PM
  2. Other colognes in the same vein as Rive Gauche PH?
    By GreenGator in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 26th April 2009, 09:55 PM
  3. Rive Gauche
    By zoomazooma in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 16th July 2008, 11:13 PM
  4. Another YSL Rive Gauche PH believer here!!!!!!
    By abimanyu in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 30th September 2006, 03:27 AM
  5. Rive Gauche pour Homme Intense
    By d4 in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th January 2006, 05:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000