Code of Conduct

Red face Do I need Caron Pour un Homme?

I've read many of the posts regarding this particular one. I had the opportunity to test it about a year ago and quite liked it but didn't buy, and now I'm unable to get hold of a tester again.

My understanding is that it's a combination of lavender, vanilla and amber. I'm a big fan of these three: lavender (Le Male and By Man), vanilla (Jaipur Homme EdP and Pi), and amber (Scent Intense and Opium PH EdP). It can be had for quite cheap online here, but I'm wondering if it will compliment my wardrobe though. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Do I need Caron Pour un Homme?

Go for it, it's beautiful, especially with the climate you've go in Cape Town.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    lavender (Le Male and By Man), vanilla (Jaipur Homme EdP and Pi), and amber (Scent Intense and Opium PH EdP).Thanks
    the notes in Unhomme doesnt remind one of any of the above scnents...

unhomme's opening notes smells just like surgical rubber gloves..its after half an hour or so it exudes it baby powdery effect....its not spicy atall. it smells like unscented talcumpowder with a very balanced set of notes...it's unlike anythign i have sniffed before and to me it's sexy as hell. could be very addictive. neverthless, looking at the scents that you mentioned above, im not sure if it'll fascinate you, unles u want somethign radically diff...maybe sample it, or buy a small bottle to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    the notes in Unhomme doesnt remind one of any of the above scnents...

unhomme's opening notes smells just like surgical rubber gloves..its after half an hour or so it exudes it baby powdery effect....its not spicy atall. it smells like unscented talcumpowder with a very balanced set of notes...it's unlike anythign i have sniffed before and to me it's sexy as hell. could be very addictive. neverthless, looking at the scents that you mentioned above, im not sure if it'll fascinate you, unles u want somethign radically diff...maybe sample it, or buy a small bottle to begin with...
    I am really starting to think that PuH is one that elicits very different responses based on the wearer. On me, it is a lavendery spice-bomb, which mellows a bit as vanilla and amber come out in the base.

Either way, I love it too.

I don't like it very much. The vanilla just flattens everything else in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Scooter View Post
    lavendery spice-bomb
    Either way, I love it too.
    i meant its not spicy like say a jaipur, PI or an opium...
    but yeh..at the same time i wont call it spice bomb, on my skin...it's a very balanced scent ..to be precise..it smells a baby who has been just pampered by her mother with talc after a bath..

Thanks for the responses so far

@ jenson...it doesn't matter if it's got nothing in common with the ones I mentioned - I actually prefer "radically different" It's just that PuH has got some of my favourite notes and it might be something this wardrobe needs!! I'm also a big fan of Caron - IMO they make QUALITY scents regardless of the price.

Nothing revelatory about it really but it's like a pair of well made khakis that feel good and go with everything. It's really good and quite cheap. I doubt if you'd regret having it around.

Yes, go for it!
    It's really not comparable to the scents you mentioned as PuH is more clear and pure and you can clearly distinguish the notes in it. There's not much else going on. The lavender opening is sharp but it settles into a dried/earthy type of lavender as the vanilla and amber come out. The drydown is mostly amber on me.
    This is considered a classic masterpiece and there's a reason why it's been around for so many years.
    It works well with any occasion and weather.
    RM

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean1973 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far

@ jenson...it doesn't matter if it's got nothing in common with the ones I mentioned - I actually prefer "radically different" It's just that PuH has got some of my favourite notes and it might be something this wardrobe needs!! I'm also a big fan of Caron - IMO they make QUALITY scents regardless of the price.
    would love to hear your thoughts on this one!

...it's unlike anythign i have sniffed before and to me it's sexy as hell. could be very addictive.
    Oh yes !

...neverthless, looking at the scents that you mentioned above, im not sure if it'll fascinate you...
    You're right, it bothered me as well.
    Last edited by Night; 30th July 2008 at 10:03 PM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

With the frags I have now, I'd try to get this effect by layering Lomani with Carven Homme (Lomani for the lavender). You'd get a little rosewood too with that combination.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 30th July 2008 at 10:12 PM.

PuH is quite bracing and powerful in the opening. Too powerful for me. You may also want to try 3rd Man as it's as if Caron gave Salvador Dali the same ingredients as PuH and he whipped up 3rd Man. I bought it blind and love it.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Off-Scenter

Do you need Caron Pour un Homme? That depends upon whether you're looking for a lavender scent. If so, you need to try Pour un Homme, since it's still probably one of the most compelling lavenders out there. The structure is simple: lavender + vanilla, but it's done extremely well.

If you are looking to add lavender to your scent wardrobe then you need to give this a whirl. As stated by a previous poster Caron makes some high qulity scents for a reasonable price and pour un Homme might be the best of that bunch.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Thumbs down Re: Do I need Caron Pour un Homme?

Not to offend but I was actually nauseated by CPH. Typically I'm not crazy about vanilla and this one was no exception. Flat, as was mentioned before.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

As mentioned by others, CPUH is not like any of the scents you mentioned above.

You have to remember, scents are more than just the sum of parts...

Thumbs down Re: Do I need Caron Pour un Homme?

I cannot stand it.. Its the ONLY scent that I couldn't leave on my skin and wait for drydown.. It made me feel sick!
    A very risky blind buy IMHO

I love the classics but this was a horrible experience!
    Last edited by deck89; 31st July 2008 at 05:48 PM.

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

It took me 3 years to get through 50ml. Loads of lavender and then the vanilla. On me the drydown is very much like that of M7 (YSL). There's something rough about PUH. It just can't seem to keep my attention. It smells OK on my all too willing 'guinea pig', albeit a bit ancient. Neither Yatagan nor Third Man fascinates me. It's a good thing they're cheap. Get PUH for reference sake.
    Last edited by renperd; 31st July 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: addition

I don't think anyone needs it. Having your nostrils raped by the harshest Lavender accord I have ever encountered followed by an insipid and sickly sweet vanilla.

Just not worth the hype. I couldn't live with it and ebayed it not long after buying it.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It's a nice to have rather than a need to have scent. In the past, some people here have seen Pour Un Homme as the 60 year old predecessor of Le Male.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 31st July 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks for the responses everyone!! Much appreciated

Ja jellybean, this is a gr8 one. I needed about ten or so wearings before i saw its beauty.

Its very different to anything else.

Can be had for dirt cheap.

It takes time , it is old fashioned (1934), it has violent lavender, take these into consideration and TBYB
    Last edited by afraafra; 1st August 2008 at 09:27 AM.

Thumbs up Re: Do I need Caron Pour un Homme?

There are perfumes that are must have for all perfume lovers, and CARON POUR UM HOMME is one of them