Code of Conduct

Post Sean John's Unforgivable - Best selling Celebrity Fragrance

My search for figures on Coty's LOVELY which carries the signature of SJP (one of 'the Perfect Scent'(s) in C. Burrs recent book) directed me to this Forbes Article. To my surprise a man's fragrance is on top of the list of best-sellers in 2006: Sean Combs' UNFORGIVABLE !

Sean John Combs - Unforgivable totalled 75 Mio $
    Elizabeth Taylor - White Diamonds, 60 Mio $
    Sarah J Parker - Lovely, 57 Mio $
    Followed by 1 fragrance each, signed by B. Spears (55 Mio) and J. Lopez (47Mio)

It is estimated that typical celebrity contracts provide for 5 - 10% of sales for the star's name and smiles.
    Last edited by narcus; 27th March 2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: to add info
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Default Re: Sean John's Unforgivable - Best selling Celebrity Fragrance

white diamonds is horrible, i dont really see anyone under 40 using it.. i brought it for my moms christmas gift like 5 years back she still has it lol, my favorite celeb scents are curious and the paris hilton one that comes in the purple stripe bottle (dunno the name). usher's one is quite common, i'd expect to see it up there soon.
    Last edited by xclusive; 28th March 2008 at 04:43 AM.

Interesting..

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

I expected Sean John's Unforgivable to do well but did not expect it to do sooo well.
    I knew it would do well because of the popularity of Mr. Combs and I do give credit to him,
    Sean Combs is a perfectionist and gets the job done down to the details.
    "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

http://www.perfumecenter.com/

Is there a similar list somewhere for other categories of fragrance? (Or all best selling fragrances?)

Well that explains the celebrity scent influx.

Blog Entries

Thankfully, I don't support the gangsta-tryin-to-go-legit lifestyle. Or any other celebrity lifestyle. Just more proof that people are gullible to marketing.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Blog Entries

Of the plethora of celeb scents that have come out in the past few years, I have only found Carlos Santana bottle worthy. But have to admit Unforgivable is *the* best amongst all the others no matter how closely it resembles MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Thankfully, I don't support the gangsta-tryin-to-go-legit lifestyle. Or any other celebrity lifestyle. Just more proof that people are gullible to marketing.
    for everyone elses information (those that can look past the fact that someone is black) sean combs is a post secondary educated (yes he dropped out before finishing his degree to pursue his career but that hardly makes anyone a gangster) individual who rose to fame and fortune after years of hard work on the bottom rung of the entertainment industry.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    for everyone elses information (those that can look past the fact that someone is black) sean combs is a post secondary educated (yes he dropped out before finishing his degree to pursue his career but that hardly makes anyone a gangster) individual who rose to fame and fortune after years of hard work on the bottom rung of the entertainment industry.
    Please don't ever put words in my mouth. I never mentioned race, and I do not appreciate that your post implies that.

My post, if you re-read it, was related directly to "celebrity" endorsed products. I don't care which celebrity it is. Having a celebrity's name on the bottle (whether it be Mr. Combs, Ms. Hilton, or Mr. Santana) should not automatically mean anything.

To the consuming public, however, it often does. Regardless of the celebrity's race, religion, education or anything else.

I do not withdraw my comment about the gangster affiliation. It's part of his history. But gangster does not equal "race" or "black" or whatever you've read into that.
    Brent

Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."

Damn, I hate those white "gangsters" in America!
    --------------------------------------
    A brotha finally makes a fragrance that people want to wear, and white people gotta criticize it and keep the black man down. No matter how educated he is or how successful his business enterprises are, "Damn, I don't want to wear a gangster's cologne! It must be unclean! And have crack in it! And have chicken and watermelon residues!" It's fair that he should have all of this success off of counterfeiting the white man's cologne, it's fair considering 200 years of slavery.

Sean John Unforgivable is amazing. White people need to get off their high horse and open up their minds that maybe a black man can create something that you want to own! *gasp!* If Chanel came out with Unforgivable, there wouldn't be all this nonsense about "Well, I've never tried it, but I hate it because of who it represents." Well, who does it represent? Black people? Get over it.

Race Riot!!!
    Last edited by somethinpositiv; 1st April 2008 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    Damn, I hate those white "gangsters" in America!
    --------------------------------------
    A brotha finally makes a fragrance that people want to wear, and white people gotta criticize it and keep the black man down. No matter how educated he is or how successful his business enterprises are, "Damn, I don't want to wear a gangster's cologne! It must be unclean! And have crack in it! And have chicken and watermelon residues!" It's fair that he should have all of this success off of counterfeiting the white man's cologne, it's fair considering 200 years of slavery.

Sean John Unforgivable is amazing. White people need to get off their high horse and open up their minds that maybe a black man can create something that you want to own! *gasp!* If Chanel came out with Unforgivable, there wouldn't be all this nonsense about "Well, I've never tried it, but I hate it because of who it represents." Well, who does it represent? Black people? Get over it.

Race Riot!!!
    People keep telling me that the large majority of professional gangsters (read: mob) are now Russian and Asian (although Russia is in Asia). Does anyone know of any Russian or otherwise Asian perfumes that are being mass marketed these days? I'd kind of like to try more celebrity scents from another continent besides the one I'm inhabiting. The only other non-North American celebrity scent I've tried is Antonio Banderas' Spirit for Women, which I very much like! Although, I've read somewhere that it was actually concocted by Antonio Puig, *for* Antonio Banderas.

Am I the only one who notices that you have Chief Illiniwek as your icon?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    People keep telling me that the large majority of professional gangsters (read: mob) are now Russian and Asian (although Russia is in Asia).
    Hye, I resent that! I am Asian. Not that it should matter, what you gonna call me a professional gangster now?

Well, now that you've clarified, I see now that Hoos was clearly talking about Russians and Asians, and not black people.

See Aiona, there you go again, trying to keep black people, Russian people, and Asian people down. Rampant racism on these boards.

Am I the only one who notices that you have Chief Illiniwek as your icon?
    Possibly, because last time I checked, we have an international audience here, not just American college kids such as myself. I wouldn't expect Russian or Asian professional gangsters overseas to know what a US college symbol is. Racist.

And if you want to talk about Chief Illinwek, we need to start a new thread and have a discussion about it. I don't know anyone who can make a case that that red faced Cleveland Indians mascot is okay, while the Chief Illiniwek symbol, not mascot (as we've never had a cartoon foam head on some goofy guy, like in Cleveland), is not okay. Do I believe that Chief Illiniwek should have been some dancing white frat boy? No, definitely not, that was probably one of the main reasons they got rid of the Chief. Chief Illiniwek should have been a Native American student (yes, we have those on campus), should have been given a full minority scholarship, and should have recreated the dance to be as authentic as possible (it couldn't be an Illini dance because they are extinct, but at least a plains Indian dance, such as that of the Soiux). The Chief is a symbol of honor, strength, loyalty, tradition, and school spirit, and was a revered symbol, not some cartoon mockery with a foam head like most schools have. You can say whatever you want about my school and about Chief Illiniwek, but I respect the tradition, as I respect Native Americans, and I'm actually taking an interesting class taught by a Native American professor, called Indigenous Native American Theatre. I'm not particularly upset that the Chief is gone, I don't care that much, but I am proud of the rich tradition of the Fighting Illini, and I will continue to use the Chief Illiniwek symbol to represent that tradition.

Blog Entries

Sidenote. U of I is badass.

I don't know why people are being angry with each other.

Rule one of Basenotes is thou shalt not be a hater.

-Daniel

Also Unforgivable is good.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 3rd April 2008 at 05:07 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Thumbs up Re: Sean John's Unforgivable - Best selling Celebrity Fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Sidenote. U of I is badass.

I don't know why people are being angry with each other.

Rule one of Basenotes is thou shalt not be a hater.

-Daniel

Also Unforgivable is good.
    You have spoken three truths. Mad props.

Hye, I resent that! I am Asian. Not that it should matter, what you gonna call me a professional gangster now?
    Hee! I'm Asian too! I don't know if you're a professional gangster or not, or if you're making perfumes, but occasionally, when I was in California, I would get stopped by policemen who thought I was part of a Vietnamese gang or something.

I'm not particularly upset that the Chief is gone, I don't care that much, but I am proud of the rich tradition of the Fighting Illini, and I will continue to use the Chief Illiniwek symbol to represent that tradition.
    I'm sad to hear that they got rid of the Chief. One of my professors at UIUC was Native American, and he wasn't bothered by the mascot at all. In fact, he grew up on a reservation. . . Dr. Gumport. I figure he was far too busy with his NIH research to worry about whether a college mascot was causing people to stereotype him.

Incidentally, it was in Champaign-Urbana where I was first introduced to essential oils in natural perfumery. There used to be an awesome essential oils shop in campustown (Kamala's), that even carried such exotic things as orris root. Now I have to mail order essential oils, and it sucks because I can't sample before I buy.

But to return to topic, are Asian gangsters making perfumes?

You went to UIUC? Well why didn't you say so!

Hail to the orange, hail to the blue...

Hail to the smell of South Farms. Not.

Speaking of scents. . . .

The other scent memory of UIUC I have is the Kraft cheese factory in West Champaign. I have never smelled another thing quite like that. and I hope I never will.

This belongs on another thread.

Dependent

Ive yet to try a single celeb frag yet.... and im still wondering if any would be worth sampling. Though a female friend uses Sarah J Parker, i didnt find it any good at all and wasn't drawn to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Ive yet to try a single celeb frag yet.... and im still wondering if any would be worth sampling. Though a female friend uses Sarah J Parker, i didnt find it any good at all and wasn't drawn to it.
    You owe it to yourself to at least try Unforgivable. I believe it's the only celebrity frag I own (operating on a sleepy memory so cut me some slack).

Best advice I can give is go into it without even considering the name. It's going to have it's own qualities independent of any label attached to it by a corporate head. Some of them are going to be very good, some significantly less so. Same with designer frags. Same with niche frags. That parallel's there for a reason.

Off the soapbox, try Unforgivable.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Blog Entries

Yes, Daniel here sent me 5 mL of his Unforgivable, and I'm planning my big wear next week. I haven't even smelled it yet - I want the full "new-scent-direct-to-wear" experience.

Celeb scents are easy to make fun of, but when you find one you like, it frees the mind. Usher has a very interesting start - a bit tart and odd - and then goes into this velvety thing that I just love. Stays close to the skin, which seems to be a trend. I'm watching the bottles go cheap at Filene's Basement, and I'm planning to buy when they reach an optimal price. Unless, of course, I go for Unforgivable.

The fact of the matter is, celebs are often better creatives than creatives. Frankly, any guy who is so hip to style that he's a multi-millionaire and famous out the wazoo, is probably going to know what smells good on people and what doesn't, and what's tomorrow and what's yesterday. On the flip side, some celeb who's famous for being famous may be little more than a name - possibly with bad taste in scents. Ultimately, the scent rules. But it's true - a lot of people will buy just for the name. People who set this stuff up count on it.

I like your rule number one. Honestly, I don't think I've ever met a hater here. BN is a pretty cool place.

Morning Star

Sean John Unforgivable is amazing. White people need to get off their high horse and open up their minds that maybe a black man can create something that you want to own!
    I agree that Sean John Unforgivable is very good. It's one of my favorite non-niche fragrances, and it is a genuine joy to smell. It was also created by David Apel, who is a top perfumer who has worked at Givaudan and Symrise:

David Apel, holding a wine glass
    David Apel, holding a FiFi Award

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The fact of the matter is, celebs are often better creatives than creatives.
    Ummm ... not this time. And, if you believe many people familiar with Creed Millésime Impérial (supposedly one of P Diddy's favorites), that fragrance probably provided most of the inspiration for Sean John Unforgivable, so some credit should probably go to the House of Creed too. In any case, anyone who believes P Diddy provided the primary creative force behind Unforgivable probably needs to go read Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent to see how this industry really works.

The only other non-North American celebrity scent I've tried is Antonio Banderas' Spirit for Women, which I very much like! Although, I've read somewhere that it was actually concocted by Antonio Puig, *for* Antonio Banderas.
    Apparently so, but let's all be sure to pretend that Antonio Banderas was the one who graciously took off his hat, put down his bandolier, and spent countless hours at the perfume organ creating this olfactory masterpiece. After all, we wouldn't want to shatter anyone's illusions, eh? Sorry for being pissy about this, but I'd like to see the actual perfumers get credit for creating their fragrances. If the world were not so enamored with "famous" people, maybe they would.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 1st August 2008 at 10:37 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    I agree that Sean John Unforgivable is very good. It's one of my favorite non-niche fragrances, and it is a genuine joy to smell. It was also created by David Apel, who is a top perfumer who has worked at Givaudan and Symrise:

David Apel, holding a wine glass
    David Apel, holding a FiFi Award
    LOL! As they say, a picture (or two) speaks a thousand words.

Ummm ... not this time. And, if you believe many people familiar with Creed Millésime Impérial (supposedly one of P Diddy's favorites), that fragrance probably provided most of the inspiration for Sean John Unforgivable, so some credit should probably go to the House of Creed too.
    Absolutely. I have no surprise at all at the idea that he would pick a better (or at least more popular) Creed as a starting point for the perfumers. Or - more bluntly - that somebody simply asked him what he liked.

In any case, anyone who believes P Diddy provided the primary creative force behind Unforgivable probably needs to go read Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent to see how this industry really works.
    Did. I think it depends on one's view of the creation. When managerial types ask programming types like me to write them a program to accomplish some task, and they don't have the foggiest idea of what they want, we (the programmers) tend to think of ourselves as the ones who did the creating. But when a worker bee gets a really good idea and we create something that accomplishes their vision, I tend to designate that person as the creator, even if they never wrote a line of code. Perhaps I'm projecting, but putting Diddy in SJP's shoes () in The Perfect Scent, I could imagine ceding creative credit to some guy who knew exactly how he wanted to tinker with MI.

Apparently so, but let's all be sure to pretend that Antonio Banderas was the one who graciously took off his hat, put down his bandolier, and spent countless hours at the perfume organ creating this olfactory masterpiece. After all, we wouldn't want to shatter anyone's illusions, eh? Sorry for being pissy about this, but I'd like to see the actual perfumers get credit for creating their fragrances. If the world were not so enamored with "famous" people, maybe they would.
    I agree that the perfumers need more credit - no bones about that. In particular, I love seeing perfumers working on their own, toward their own goals, as they do at so many niche houses. In my book, Céline Ellena is ten times more of a celebrity than any female face fronting for a fragrance. But (falling back on my analogy) some of my best work was fulfilling somebody else's vision. I have learned to let such people take control of essential parts of a design, and to work with them. In the end, I say it's theirs, because I would have created nothing new without their insight. Perhaps I'm being naive, but I'd like to think it works the same way elsewhere.

Agreed - Diddy created nothing on his own. It would be nice to see perfumers get second billing on celebrity scents. Even programmers get that.

Morning Star

In any case, anyone who believes P Diddy provided the primary creative force behind Unforgivable probably needs to go read Chandler Burr's The Perfect Scent to see how this industry really works.
    Did. I think it depends on one's view of the creation ... Perhaps I'm projecting, but putting P Diddy in [Sarah Jessica Parker]'s shoes in The Perfect Scent, I could imagine ceding creative credit to some guy who knew exactly how he wanted to tinker with MI.
    I could do that too, if I believed that P Diddy had even the foggiest idea as to where to start tinkering. He certainly doesn't know the difference between a lactone, a ketone, and a xylophone. I also don't think he'd look very good in Sarah Jessica Parker's shoes. Does the following look like the description of a fragrance "creative"? Just read some of this stuff:

P Diddy entry in Wikipedia

Here's another example of his "creativity":

"I'll help you sell Cîroc vodka to my young, impressionable audience if you give me half the profits."
    "I'm Cîroc all day, baby ... but if you're under 21, do not watch!"
    P Diddy can be proud of these guys. No one under-aged here, I'm sure ...

He's quite the Buckaroo Bonzai, isn't he? Perfumer, hip hop artist, clothier, master distiller, purveyor of aggravated assault, operator of a Honduran sweatshop, reckless driver, father of five children out of wedlock ... neurosurgeon? That's enough to make even Edmond Roudnitska feel short between the legs. Let's hope P Diddy can make room in his busy schedule to be present for the unveiling of his marble bust at the Smithsonian Institution.

Come on now, Redneck Perfumisto. I know you're trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and play nice in the BN sandbox, and that's admirable. But this guy doesn't even walk on the same planet as professional perfumers. In his own words, "I really wanted to become best known as an entrepreneur." And that's exactly what he's doing. Like the title of his song says, "It's all about the Benjamins."

I guess I wouldn't be so bitchy about this if I didn't feel that he is contributing to "creating" a destructive subculture which damages the work ethic and future standard of living for a whole generation of young Americans, and which will cost society dearly as it is called upon to provide for them financially. That's what's really Unforgivable.

Maybe I'll feel better after I apply more cologne.
    Last edited by Astaroth; 2nd August 2008 at 10:05 PM.

Blog Entries

LOL!!! But I suggest picking something other than Unforgivable at the moment!!!

I won't defend Diddy as a model citizen - nor will I say he's unforgivable. Not because he is defensible or indefensible, but because I don't have room to talk. I'll leave it at that. Except to say that white and smart buys a lot of forgiveness, and it cost me a lot less than he probably had to pay Johnnie Cochran.

I do believe that Diddy is good at picking what people like. So he's not just an entrepreneur, in my opinion. I would say that he's an honest-to-God designer/producer/stylist. If you believe the marketing flak, he picked through over 600 variations to reach what's in the bottle. But the thing that speaks to me more are his reminiscences about the smell of his basement. I know you'll hate me saying this, but I think he's one of us. That's not Roudnitska, but it counts for something.

I'm not just playing nice in the BN sandbox. I'm concerned about the GodBox. In that one, we're all on the same planet.

OK, time for bed. My SotE was Unforgivable. It was nice, but I'm going to put on Essence of Jerusalem. Bossanova Boy suggested that one. It's timeless!

Morning Star

LOL!!! But I suggest picking something other than Unforgivable at the moment!!!
    I think Unforgivable is really top-notch stuff, and I won't avoid wearing it just because I think the guy whose image is on the box is a terrible influence on American society. After all, if I couldn't manage to do that, I'd be just as susceptible to marketing forces (in an inverted way) as those who buy something they don't really want, only because it is being sponsored by someone famous.

There's plenty of room for differences of opinion here. Anyway, I need some caffeine ...

Hello everyone. I've had some concerns voiced via PM about the previous posts and tone of the topics of conversation on this thread. As it's been revived, in advance I'd just like to let everyone know that if the tone does become charged again it will be locked (though I really don't want to do that so I'm going to try to let it go). So thanks in advance for keeping it on topic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
    Hello everyone. I've had some concerns voiced via PM about the previous posts and tone of the topics of conversation on this thread. As it's been revived, in advance I'd just like to let everyone know that if the tone does become charged again it will be locked (though I really don't want to do that so I'm going to try to let it go). So thanks in advance for keeping it on topic
    No problem, Paul - I appreciate the heads up. I thought Astaroth and I were having a great discussion, but if it was making people nervous, sorry about that. Anyway, he and I discussed it offline, and everything's fine. Actually, we're sort of done with the issue of Diddy himself, and I think the issue is now whether and/or how much this great fragrance is a copy of Creed Millesime Imperial. I'm actually planning a comparison wear this week, but if anybody has an opinion about that, I'm really interested. My first reaction on sniffing this fragrance was "WOW! Is this thing channeling MI or Tabarome Millesime?" It definitely has that Creed house thing, to my nose. But I was thinking that the overall volume and longevity was nicer than for the Creeds. In other ways, like drydown, I think I like the Creeds better. But it's definitely a fascinating fragrance.