Code of Conduct

Exclamation An Interview with Bertrand Duchaufour

An Interview with Bertrand Duchaufour

Michelyn Camen speaks to Bertrand Duchaufour on the eve of the launch of L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fleur de Liane. We find out more about his new relationship with L'Artisan; the inspiration behind the new fragrance; his views on the industry as a whole and what he thinks of Dior Homme.

More...

Default Re: An Interview with Bertrand Duchaufour

Excellent interview. I only wish Bertrand Duchafour would have expanded some on his answers. Regarding the dearth of great masculine scents in the contemporary market, he said, "Nothing is new; everyone uses the same ingredients, over and over. There is no change." I am wondering if the lack of originality is also due to a desire of major design houses to stay within a comfort zone of known success. In other words, eschew experimentation in favor of working tried and true fragrance templates.

He's a man of few words, this I will tell you. Also , as the author, it is lucky I speak a little French, because there were a few things he wanted to express but could not find the English transaltion for, but I was able to roughly understand. He had about 14-18 interviews in 2 days--- a media tour is what they call this. He did comment many of the other editors ( you know most of them were not niche perfumistos, but general beauty editors ) wanted to understand his inspiration for the fragrance and asked very typical questions. He did say that my questions were more in depth ,and the subject of masculines definitely got his attention, but there wasn't enough time since we only had a half an hour.

But generally, what you read is how he speaks... Bertand is very succint, very sincere, self-confident and there is no bull$%^&*** about what he does. No hype! MC
    Last edited by memechose; 4th August 2008 at 01:38 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Quote Originally Posted by memechose View Post
    But generally, what you read is how he speaks... Bertand is very succint, very sincere, self-confident and there is no bull$%^&*** about what he does. No hype! MC
    He comes across as direct and decisive with no wasted words, similar to my reputation at work. I like that. My kind of guy. My favorite question was the one about fragrances that he has not been able to create to which he responded with a resounding "No!" Finishes what he starts, seems very driven. I'm inspired. Maybe I'll invest in one of my favorite Duchafour creations Dzongkha or Bois d'Ombrie. Still need to sample more of his scents.
    Last edited by Sloan; 4th August 2008 at 05:07 AM.