Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ambergris

Default Re: Ambergris

Did you read about the 1.1Kg lump of Ambergris, found on an Anglesey beach that has just been auctioned for £11,000.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Did you read about the 1.1Kg lump of Ambergris, found on an Anglesey beach that has just been auctioned for £11,000.
    Ooer... nice one. Weekend in Anglesey anyone?
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients
    Currently wearing: Charisma by Avon

do creed use ambergis in all of their perfumes ?

Quote Originally Posted by tr88 View Post
    do creed use ambergis in all of their perfumes ?
    No, many of their fragrances do not use ambergris; however, a combination of ambergris and musk is often described as part of the Creed DNA.

I've never smelled ambergris in a commercial perfume, including Creed. Perfumes containing ambergris have a distinct isopropanol whiff in the opening which I've never detected. I don't smell the classic funk, either.

Funny - I've never understood the isopropanol association. Ethanol, yes - I see ambergris as somehow merging with ethanol in a surprising way. Got to go sniff the rubbing alcohol again I guess!

Yes, it's a surprising connection. If you sniff ambergris and then regular isopropanol out of the bottle, you'll see the difference--the ambergris is complex and lovely, even though reminiscent of alcohol. The stuff out of the bottle smells like chemicals and is course.

Claire Vukcevic wrote a terrific article recently, entitled Ambergris: Myths, Truths, and Half-Truths.

It is a terrific reference treatise on the subject of this note. Frankly, it deserves its own bookmark link in this sub forum. But in the meanwhile it is linked in this post above.
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    Claire Vukcevic wrote a terrific article recently, entitled Ambergris: Myths, Truths, and Half-Truths.

It is a terrific reference treatise on the subject of this note. Frankly, it deserves its own bookmark link in this sub forum. But in the meanwhile it is linked in this post above.
    Love ClaireV's article! Also, Russian Adam of Areej le Dore is coming out with a fragrance that highlights real white ambergris. It's supposed to be available in the next month (I think).

Default Re: The Notorious "Ambergris Base" What does it actually smell like?

Quote Originally Posted by cjkemp View Post
    The fascinating thing about ambergris is that no two pieces really smell the same. Its odor is a reflection of a long, molecular process of maturation, oxidation, loss of water content, etc. And of course, olfaction is such a personal thing that what an individual smells in ambergris is simply what he or she smells.

In fresh black ambergris, the indolic and scatolic characteristics are very noticeable. It smells a lot like sheep dung to me. And I've smelled (and own) some really fresh stuff. Ambergris is expelled rectally ... it's a coprolite, or what one chemist once called preternaturally hardened whale dung. I know ... people think it's bile, vomit, phlegm, or something like that. But, no.

As it ages, it begins to smell differently. I explain why this is the case in my book, but it's a process of the chemical degradation and reactions taking place. The oldest white ambergris (I also own some of this) smells refined and not as sharp-edged as fresh ambergris. There's a hint of sweetness, almost of vanilla or almonds in there, along with the animalic, musty, musky, old wood, tobacco tones to the odor profile that people usually mention.
    I have become utterly fascinated by this note. I, too, thought it was material (unprocessed food or randomly ingested material?) a whale regurgitated from either its stomach, pharynx, or oesophagus.

I have to wonder how anyone came to figure out that ambergris was useful in perfume, though. I can imagine how civet, castoreum, etc., was discovered as useful, but ambergris....really???
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Tomorrow by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by Oriane View Post
    I have become utterly fascinated by this note. I, too, thought it was material (unprocessed food or randomly ingested material?) a whale regurgitated from either its stomach, pharynx, or oesophagus.

I have to wonder how anyone came to figure out that ambergris was useful in perfume, though. I can imagine how civet, castoreum, etc., was discovered as useful, but ambergris....really???
    I'll bet it was something serendipitous. Imagine a bunch of craggy sailors on a barren beach. They've gathered up as much dry driftwood as they could find to start a fire. One of them finds a lump of ambergris and tosses it onto the searing red hot coals. At first it smells acrid... but then something happens and there's an interesting aroma that comes of the ambergris being burned away. Eventually word manages to get around and then those who create perfumes back in the day decide to give it a go... see what they can do with it.

I read somewhere that a fellow in Australia has a trained dog who can sniff out ambergris. Can you imagine? Talk about having a golden goose!
    Currently wearing: Gomma by Etro

I'll bet it was something serendipitous. Imagine a bunch of craggy sailors on a barren beach. They've gathered up as much dry driftwood as they could find to start a fire. One of them finds a lump of ambergris and tosses it onto the searing red hot coals. At first it smells acrid... but then something happens and there's an interesting aroma that comes of the ambergris being burned away. Eventually word manages to get around and then those who create perfumes back in the day decide to give it a go... see what they can do with it.

I read somewhere that a fellow in Australia has a trained dog who can sniff out ambergris. Can you imagine? Talk about having a golden goose!
    This is as good of an explanation as any I could think of!

If I lived near a beach where ambergris may possibly wash up once in a while, I would definitely train my dog to sniff it out, too. Dogs have such a wonderful sense of smell. It truly is amazing. They are one of the greatest gifts to humankind.
    Fate gives all of us three teachers, three friends, three enemies, and three great loves in our lives. But these twelve are always disguised, and we never know which one is which until we've loved them, left them, or fought them.

Gregory David Roberts
    Currently wearing: Tomorrow by Avon

Thanks very much for posting this. I appreciate it. Very interesting and informative indeed. I've now it bookmarked on my computer.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5