Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    As I see, Eternity redefined the fougére genre, and the boom of aromatic fougéres in the early 90s is heavily influenced by it.

    It's a hot summer here, and I've been wearing scents like Platinum Égoiste, XS, Herrera, Safari, Dolce & Gabbana, as well as fougeres from the older school (Azzaro, Paco Rabanne), so I came to the conclusion that none of them really strikes me in the way Eternity does. The closest I can get are Platinum Égoiste and XS, but now I reallize that they are, in fact, very influenced by Eternity.

    It's a stunning conclusion to me. My rational mind (and my acquired love for Chanels) says Platinum Égoiste should be superior, but I still feel it isn't.

    I'm alone on that?

    The only restriction I have on this fragrance is its huge popularity, what means it's not exclusive at all. But I can't run away, the fact is I really like it.

    P.S.: I'm glad Fougére is not my favourite genre, so I can alternate this mass-market thing with more peculiar scents.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    If you think that the more people are wearing a particular scent, the less you can like a scent, then you can say it's bad because it's too popular.

    That's a common reaction to luxury products, I suffer from it as well, and I'm sure many others on Basenotes do too.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

    Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

    Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Eternity is one of my +fav's too... I have a large decant and do wear it time to time.


    PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather




  4. #4

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    There were soooooo many high school boys wearing too much Eternity in the 90's! I think the sillage has drifted away enough for me to be able to tollerate it on a grown man.

    Wear what you like, darling, and wear it well. It's all about personal style.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

  5. #5

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I wear Eternity all the time! Since it has become a classic and has been around for a long time, only it's devotees go back for it time and time again with the exception of the few like me who recently discovered it for what it is. It has a beautiful, clean, green sillage and that makes it great for day to day wear.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I will never forget the time it came out in 1988. My roommate in college did not have a car so he asked me to drive him to Macy's to pick up a bottle. Little did I know that I would be smelling it everywhere soon thereafter.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,313

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Yes it's popular. This however does not take away from the fact that it's a great scent.

    Here's the thing - don't over apply it. If I were you I would invest in some of the great body products that Calvin Klein released with this scent. The Eternity for Men after shave lotion, body wash and/or deodorant you could use to scent your body - in addition to the scent. From experience (I wore this many years ago) it really extends the longevity of the fragrance, WITHOUT over applying and having it smell obnoxious.

    The perfumer who did Eternity for Men back in 1989, Carlos Benaim, also did the classic Polo by Ralph Lauren (in the green bottle) and he's also responsible for the quirky Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf.

    Eternity, as you've mentioned, is really like nothing else.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd February 2008 at 06:40 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I think Eternity is a brilliant fragrance. As you say, it clearly influenced XS and PE.

    Is it really still that popular? I would have thought ADG, the Armanis and Bosses and newer CKs would have superseded it by now. I would think it would be quite unique these days. Anyway, even if it is still common, who cares? It is way better than the mainstream stuff released these days (with few exceptions).

    In fact, I don't have my bottle with me here in the US, you may have inspired me to buy a bottle. (I'm after both it and Safari to remind me of when I was 13 years younger!)

    Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

    Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

  9. #9

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Eternity is probably my favorite fragrance of all time. Some of you may know from my previous postings that I helped to launch Eternity when it came on the market. It was and still is a revolutionary fragrance. I knew it would be a hit from when I smelled it for the first time. I think I read that Eternity (women's and then men's) are the most successful fragrance launches ever. Calvin would really do things right in those days: tons of sampling, lots of print advertising and unique TV ads. he would create a "buzz" like no other.

    I have continued to wear Eternity since then. I have never been without a bottle in my collection. The only problem for me is that now I find it so weak. It's like there are hardly any of the essential oils in the bottle. The scent just evaporates on my skin. I try using the shower gel, body lotion (which I love), deodorant and AS balm and still no longevity. I was hoping that when Coty bought out CK a couple of years ago they would amp up the oils again. Alas, that did not happen.

    As far as being common, I rarely smell it on anyone anymore or see many guys purchasing it anymore. I guess it still does have it's following enough to stay around. It is a modern-day classic and will always have a place in my wardrobe.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Eternity has been my signature fragrance during the 90's.... and even if was quite common, it was really special on my skin, I received so many compliments in these days.

    In these days it's a fragrance I still have, love and use (even if I can barely smell it.... why?!??!*sniff), but I still having success.
    I think it'd be releated to the memories evokes in my aged-people.

    BTW, I second mikeperez23: never overapply it. NEVER.

    PS: I always use it as fall/winter fragrances, rarely on spring/summer

  11. #11

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I must confess that I have never smelled Eternity, at least as far as I know, so I don't even know what it smells like. This thread has inspired me to go and find some Eternity to try out. Thanks, this is what I love about basenotes!!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Well, peace to all of you who wear Eternity for Men, but I for one can't stand the stuff. It's synthetic as all get out, and somehow manages to be both weak and cloying on my skin. IMO, the only great Calvin Klein scent was the original, Calvin, in the dark blue bottle, stupidly discontinued so that CK could bring us more insipid crap. Lest you think I diss Obsession for Men as well, I'll clarify. I find it a creative, innovative fragrance but lacking quality ingredients. It was MUCH better when it first came out.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    It is the only Calvin Klein men's product which Coty still makes the body lotion for. I was told be cause the Eternity line is the biggest crown jewel of the Klein fragrance stable.

    I still find it long lasting too - the problem is your nose can really turn it off and you think it fades on your skin.

  14. #14
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    To address the original question more broadly, I don't think popularity renders anything "bad." It can render something commonplace, and this may or may not disturb you, depending upon your temperament and expectations. Many younger people (and some older as well), men and women, strongly prefer to smell like their peers, and I think this preference is in part responsible for the overwhelming popularity of scents like Acqua di Gio, Curve, Cool Water, and A*men. These wildly popular fragrances tend to run in sequence. Cool Water had its run a few years back, then A*men, and now Acqua di Gio (and heaven help us, Axe) are having their run. Eternity is an interesting case, in that its vast wave of popularity subsided quite some time ago, leaving it much less commonplace than it once was.

    My final comment is to wear what you like, and don't worry about what anyone else is wearing!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I have always loved Eternity, and it was only because every second male was wearing it in the 90's that made me reluctant to get it. It is not as universally worn nowadays, but it nevertheless remains a classic redefining fragrance. It has always struck me as quite a floral aromatic and mandarine bouquet. A joyous experience, and to all those who consider it CK muck, it needs to be said that it was formulated by the IFF perfurmers, who are responsible for some of the most interesting and noteable fragrances on the market nowadays.

    In terms of popular culture and marketing Chanel No 5 may have catapulted the female perfume industry way back in 1921, and Eternity can definitely be said to have paved the way for the current men's fragrance industry in so many ways.

    ~ Snifferdog
    Last edited by snifferdog; 4th February 2008 at 10:43 AM.

  16. #16

    Thumbs up Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by snifferdog View Post
    I have always loved Eternity, and it was only because every second male was wearing it in the 90's that made me reluctant to get it. It is not as universally worn nowadays, but it nevertheless remains a classic redefining fragrance. It has always struck me as quite a floral aromatic and mandarine bouquet. A joyous experience, and to all those who consider it CK muck, it needs to be said that it was formulated by the IFF perfurmers, who are responsible for some of the most interesting and noteable fragrances on the market nowadays.

    In terms of popular culture and marketing Chanel No 5 may have catapulted the female perfume industry way back in 1921, and Eternity can definitely be said to have paved the way for the current men's fragrance industry in so many ways.

    ~ Snifferdog
    Great post and spot-on!

  17. #17
    smeller
    Guest

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Great posts.

    I was also reluctant to add this popular fragrance to my active wardrobe, but I also realize that the recent releases are probably more attractive to the masses than this one.

    I remember the early nineties, when I was young and had no money to afford this, and all my popular colleagues seemed to wear it. Perhaps that's why I quite forgot about this one, until some days ago.

    P.S.: about Platinum Égoiste, I've been wearing it, and it seems to alternate an Eternity-like character with an old-school-fougére character (closer to Azzaro). But I still find Eternity to be more unique, let's see.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I like Eternity. It DOES smell nice.
    It matters none at all to me how popular it is. I like it, If i had it...Id wear it.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Eternity is not bad because it is popular. It is bad because it is too 80's.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Okay, there is a full page ad for Eternity Men in the current issue of GQ magazine. It shows an offer for a free travel bag with sample sizes of product. It has the Macy's logo on the page as well. I went to my local Macy's and they know nothing of this. Same thing happened to me last year about the same time. Why does CK and Macy's get together and take out these full page ads and not deliver? So frustrating...

  21. #21

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    This is interesting.

    Having spent a lot of times in labs where fragrance (and for females, makeup) was a no-no (semiconductors), I missed out in the 90's! I was in Sephora and found the Eternity bottle and sniffed it and thought "wow, thats a nice one" and grabbed a sample.

    This discussion reminds me of Jicky for some reason. Nearly "forgotten" with the popularity of Shalimar and the unfortunate name (marketing departments today would never let it be called 'Jicky') - but treaseured by those in the know. I bet it was really popular when it came out!
    Last edited by Bromo33333; 6th February 2008 at 02:25 PM.
    ===
    “… [I] recall thinking that the computer would never advance much further than this. Call me naïve, but I seemed to have underestimated the universal desire to sit in a hard plastic chair and stare at a screen until your eyes cross.” ~ David Sedaris

  22. #22

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Eternity is an interesting case, in that its vast wave of popularity subsided quite some time ago, leaving it much less commonplace than it once was.
    Good point. The only person I've ever smelled wearing Eternity is me.

    It may have been all the rage among scent wearers many years ago, but that's not the case now.

    Furthermore, no matter how popular a men's scent gets - most men either don't wear scent or use cheap aftershave and deodorants - so it won't be perceived as commonplace like Old Spice and Brut.
    Renato

  23. #23

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I really hate eternity a freind baught me a bottle and i use it for my trainers !
    when your walking through hell walk faster !
    old enough to be mature - young enough to act plain stupid

  24. #24

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I used to love Eternity. It was a scent that I put on with confidence. Yesterday at Ulta, I put it on a card like an old friend and left it. Quick sniff to check it out and then waited. Once it dried down it smelled really nice. It still smelled nice on the card today. I'm sure it gets ragged on but it is one sexy scent to me still. Won't buy it but it works.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  25. #25

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Eternity is just a bit too crisp and green for me.

    But the Summer series is amazing.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    If you like Eternity and Platinum Egoiste, you simply must try Tiffany for Men as well. Another Jacques Polge.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by ObsessionForMen View Post
    Eternity is probably my favorite fragrance of all time. Some of you may know from my previous postings that I helped to launch Eternity when it came on the market. It was and still is a revolutionary fragrance. I knew it would be a hit from when I smelled it for the first time. I think I read that Eternity (women's and then men's) are the most successful fragrance launches ever. Calvin would really do things right in those days: tons of sampling, lots of print advertising and unique TV ads. he would create a "buzz" like no other.

    I have continued to wear Eternity since then. I have never been without a bottle in my collection. The only problem for me is that now I find it so weak. It's like there are hardly any of the essential oils in the bottle. The scent just evaporates on my skin. I try using the shower gel, body lotion (which I love), deodorant and AS balm and still no longevity. I was hoping that when Coty bought out CK a couple of years ago they would amp up the oils again. Alas, that did not happen.

    As far as being common, I rarely smell it on anyone anymore or see many guys purchasing it anymore. I guess it still does have it's following enough to stay around. It is a modern-day classic and will always have a place in my wardrobe.
    Calvin did do things right back then. I still have the shopping bag from my first purchase from the original launch. It is in gray and white with the photo of the Eternity men's bottle - now a days they don't do that stuff any more!

  28. #28
    Morning Star

    Astaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    West Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,015

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Interestingly, I've never been a huge fan of Eternity. Obsession and Obsession Night seem to be the only two Calvin Klein fragrances I wear, and even then not frequently. My girlfriend loves Obsession, so I wear it mostly to please her.

    Concerning the popularity of a fragrance weakening its value, I don't think it does for me. I will enjoy it on both myself and others regardless of how popular it is. I still love the smell of Armani Acqua di Giò and Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle even if a whole club smells like it, but I know that this is not a typical attitude. So I make a minor effort of focus on using unusual fragrances, and only occasionally dip into the bag of overused good fragrances.

  29. #29
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,298
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The perfumer who did Eternity for Men back in 1989, Carlos Benaim, also did the classic Polo by Ralph Lauren (in the green bottle) and he's also responsible for the quirky Flowerbomb by Viktor & Rolf.

    Eternity, as you've mentioned, is really like nothing else.
    I'm going to have to wear this one. I just missed it back then - not sure why. But Polo is just terribly original IMO, and that fact seems to sway me.
    * * * *

  30. #30
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    the fact that many ppl myself included uses eternity as a subject or benchmark of reference shows how far its reached in terms of its appeal to the masses. The fact that so many scents and even cheap deodorants try to adopt the similar scent, goes to show that eternity has left a legacy for many to be inspired by, and enjoyed by. its only natural is so common coz you cant really go wrong wearing it. then again, how many scents can claim that they've achieved what eternity has? just a handful. it will always smell good. But as with all things, its natural for ppl to want to stand out, or take a short break from it. im wearing it lesser and lesser these days coz taste changes anytime, any age. but its never bad, to ans ur qn. its great for most occasions and has excellent sillage and longevity. In fact i think lesser ppl are wearing it as often, coz of the industrial influx of scents this past decade or 2

  31. #31

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Popularity doesn't mean bad at all.
    Eternity is worn by one of my good friends. I don't like this scent on him.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,034

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Eternity signalled the end of the great powerhouse frags of the 80's and ushered in the soulless aquatics of the 90's. It is for this reason that I will always despise Eternity.

  33. #33

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    What makes me upset is that it still should be long lasting like it was...back in 1990. Why call a fragrance ETERNITY if it as a few hours..lol

  34. #34

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Before I came to Basenotes my policy was to buy a bottle of fragrance and wear it every day until it was gone and then buy something else. The four-five months I was wearing Eternity every day (about two years ago) were my most heavily complimented ever. "Ooh, you smell good!" was what I heard every time I hugged someone or loaned them a jacket or whatever. People *love* Eternity.

    When I first got a bottle again all I could smell was "Gay Club circa 1991". But the first day I wore it out, three people went out of their way to tell me how much they liked it, so I started wearing it all the time and formed a new set of memories and associations with it.

    I don't have a bottle right now, but this thread is making me want to go out and get one. It really is a classic, one that I think people will be rediscovering and wearing for decades to come.

    The bottle's nice, too.

  35. #35

    Wink Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Oh, and it has always been my experience that when I'm questioning my gut instincts over what other people MIGHT think, I'm headed for trouble. Who cares whether something is "too popular" or "not popular enough"? Middle school was over a long, long time ago. Do what brings you joy on a daily basis and (surprise!) your life will be full of joy. Do what other people *think* you should do and your life will be full of doubt and second-guessing.

    *gong sound*

    So endeth the lesson.

    (rolls eyes at self)

    Not to go all New Age on y'all or anything.

  36. #36

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    Oh, and it has always been my experience that when I'm questioning my gut instincts over what other people MIGHT think, I'm headed for trouble. Who cares whether something is "too popular" or "not popular enough"? Middle school was over a long, long time ago. Do what brings you joy on a daily basis and (surprise!) your life will be full of joy. Do what other people *think* you should do and your life will be full of doubt and second-guessing.

    *gong sound*

    So endeth the lesson.

    (rolls eyes at self)

    Not to go all New Age on y'all or anything.
    I like your attitude. My goal was never to join here and get so entrenched that I change my tastes completely. If I enjoy my experience, find some new scents then I'm happy. If it is 5 non-nice ones, so be it. I always thought Versace and Armani was great before and I'm ntot going to shun them because someone tells me they aren't good and are....blah, blah, blah. It is the fun of being here. Trash and treasure. I'm enjoying all the people I have dealt with so far and they are great and helpful.. Hopefully i learn from everyone. I'm well educated and kind and classy and when I got here I didn't know what a Creed was...shoot me.
    Last edited by ToughCool; 2nd August 2008 at 10:13 PM.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

  37. #37

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I've been a eternity fan for over 15yrs, I love it and don't care how many people have it I still wear it and with the confidence as if I was the only person who has it.

  38. #38

    Default Re: Eternity: bad because it's too popular?

    I agree with almost everyone here. Eternity's popularity as waned enough that it wouldn't really be called "popular" anymore. In addition, it's a fantastic pure mean, green and clean scent that I appreciate even though I'm more of a heavy orientals kind of guy. This, XS, Greenergy and Mugler Colgone are THE summer green lineup. Try the others if you like Eternity, they aren't nearly as popular (especially Greenergy).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •