Code of Conduct

Default L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fleur de Liane

I visited Barney's in midtown manhattan and was very happy to smell the brand new L'artisan offering Fleur de Liane....the fragrance is going to come out in the beginning of september and will be offered exclusively through Barney's for the first 3 months. They had a sample bottle to raise the curiousity of potential buyers.

I was impressed....and I mean Impressed! Cant speak for the fragrance longevity (will have to test more) however sillage is very good without being overwhelming.....now on to the fragrance.

After coming home I read Bertrand Duchaufour's review of his own invention and to tell you honestly....it describes it pretty much on the money.....first of all it is Not 'feminine'.....I immediately senses this deep beautiful grass intermingled with very noticeable vetiver, woods and light florals rounding out the picture....it is all very crisp and sharp without being striking because there is this sense of slight aquatic feel which makes it even brighter and sunnier than it would have been.....It doesnt seem to develop much however florals come out more with progression. The fact is it doesnt need to much develop because there are so 4 different types of scents that are immediately grab your attention and yet they interact to form one gorgeous composition of GraWooFloraVer with a hint of aquatic....and as time passes each one takes over to take the lead role, i must say I enjoyed grass the most...clean cut, gorgeous and beautiful...an insta classic...I say its at the very least a Must Try!

I signed up on the list to get the bottle on the first day of release......Now I want to hear if anyone else sniffed it or looking forward to it and why
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 1st August 2008 at 05:59 AM.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Default Re: L'Artisan Parfumeur's Fleur de Liane

Very interesting... any new launch in the L'Artisan line never fails to grab my attention, thanks for the heads-up bud

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by javagreen View Post
    Very interesting... any new launch in the L'Artisan line never fails to grab my attention, thanks for the heads-up bud
    no prob.....I was blown away by how seemlessly seemingly "opposite" notes were made into one beautiful concoction. I never even heard of anyone mixing aquatic notes with grass and woods and throw in florals...it came across very natural with no hints of synthetic quality whatsoever. L'artisan does it again.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 1st August 2008 at 06:20 AM.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

Blog Entries

Yes, this sounds extremely interesting. I'm gearing up to buy a bottle from L'Artisan, and this scent is throwing a wrench into my plans! I was almost 99% sure it would be Safran Troublant, and now I'm not so sure. I have a feeling this could be a biggie for LAP.

I love the way this one was done differently at a very abstract level. To me, this is like a radically different programming technique, so I'm very curious how it plays out.

Basenotes Institution

On paper, this combination notes (ozone, marine and green notes, marigold, tuberose, magnolia, woods and mossy notes) sounds like something I would not like. I'm willing to try it though, before I write it off.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    I never even heard of anyone mixing aquatic notes with grass and woods and throw in florals...

I think He Wood by DSquared also attempted an aquatic/wood fragrance, and I didn't like HW at all!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th August 2008 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, this sounds extremely interesting. I'm gearing up to buy a bottle from L'Artisan, and this scent is throwing a wrench into my plans! I was almost 99% sure it would be Safran Troublant, and now I'm not so sure. I have a feeling this could be a biggie for LAP.

I love the way this one was done differently at a very abstract level. To me, this is like a radically different programming technique, so I'm very curious how it plays out.
    I'm with you 100%, RP! This one sounds special. I'm putting off my Safran Troublant purchase for now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    On paper, this combination notes (ozone, marine and green notes, marigold, tuberose, magnolia, woods and mossy notes) sounds like something I would not like. I'm willing to try it though, before I write it off.

I think He Wood by DSquared also attempted an aquatic/wood fragrance, and I didn't like HW at all!

I would say though that the aquatic note is the least noticeable component of the fragrance....al it does is lighten it up a bit to make it a non "heavy" fragrance...i would also define it as a perfect spring-fall scent.....whatever its worth....

i just found the grass scent so sharp and beautiful yet not overwhelmingly monotone as most green scents get for me....the woods and the light florals along with the fleeting aqua accords balanced it out tremendously.....the fragrance has loads of personality and character so its in no way a "nice and friendly and perfectly safe" designer smell-alike...
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 5th August 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Robin at NowSmellThis posted a review of this yesterday, whereupon it sounds incredibly melon-oriented. Link here: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/3875149.html

Anyone who's smelled this care to comment on the melon note of Fleur de Liane?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Robin at NowSmellThis posted a review of this yesterday, whereupon it sounds incredibly melon-oriented. Link here: http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...8/3875149.html

Anyone who's smelled this care to comment on the melon note of Fleur de Liane?
    mike i have to give it a full skin run...to me it smelled sharply of woods/vetiver with floral aqua undertones....melon notes were not prominent at all....however, i would have to give it a full 2nd run

I wrote a review of it here if you're interested.

I found the melon aspect quite prominent at the beginning, but after that it's all aquatic-floral.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I posted on this in another thread, comparing it to Eau de Lierre by Diptyque. The link is here:

http://community.basenotes.net/showt...23#post1304323
    Last edited by JaimeB; 10th September 2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I thought this fragrance was supposed to have been inspired by the rainforest. I was hoping that it would have that wonderful wet earth (mud!) smell, mixed with green vegetation. The descriptions so far make it sound more watery than earthy?

I got a sample of Fleur de Liane some time ago, but nowadays it takes me ages to get down to testing something new. Today I have a day off and felt adventurous, so spritzed some FdL on my hand.

I'm fascinated by the green jungle top notes! Looking forward to the drydown, if it's as good as the first impression, this one is heading for my wishlist.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Tigrushka, do let us know your outcome.

Update from me: I now have a bottle and I'm completely in love. It's everything that I wanted it to be!

No wonder you ladies like it that much: it can be great on a woman. Alas, I find it way too feminine for me to wear it comfortably.

I really like the drydown, too. The top notes are very lush and green, definitely "wet", they capture the jungle/rainforest thing perfectly! The drydown is drier but just as green. The pleasant surprise is that I don't find it "too flowery" like I thought I might. Must give this one a full wear.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    I really like the drydown, too. The top notes are very lush and green, definitely "wet", they capture the jungle/rainforest thing perfectly! The drydown is drier but just as green. The pleasant surprise is that I don't find it "too flowery" like I thought I might. Must give this one a full wear.
    The flowers are a small part of it for me, too. It's like they're hidden - well hidden - behind the wet greenery. If I had named it, I wouldn't have used the word "fleur". I get some earth, too. It reminds me of a hike on a fragrantly muddy trail in a tropical forest. And it's a forest/jungle that's not far from the sea! The wet, green, and earth all last on me, too.

I agree, Sandy, that it is more feminine than masculine. My husband really likes it on me. I'm sure some of the men will enjoy wearing it, however!

I haven't fully worn it yet, but from dabbing my sample, I think it would be something I'd happily wear. I really have enjoyed the sample from quick sniffs, so a full wear is soon in order.

I was a bit underwhelmed, especially considering that I generally like Duchaufour's compositions.

Then again, I tend to dislike anything with a prominent Calone (aquatic melon) note, so this was a non-starter for me. Not bad, just not me.

Having said that, I am encouraged that Duchaufour is now the in-house nose for L'Artisan, and I anxiously await the Next Big Thing from that house!

Go, go, Bertrand!