Code of Conduct

Default Floris - Santal from a sample

ohh god, im ok if you call me now...i have been blessed to experience such smell...smells so exotic right when it touches skin...smells of exotism..smell of sheer purity, smell of well being and good life...such is life...

Dimitri.. if you havent tried this, you ought to, since this reminds me of Lp and Opium quite a bit. only this is a tad bit different in approach in terms of its intensity and green notes..

angelic stuff in the Oriental category..
    Last edited by jenson; 2nd August 2008 at 08:46 PM.

Default Re: Floris - Santal from a sample

I received this as a gift from a very generous Basenoter. It's actually funny, because the name 'Santal' somehow evokes the thoughts of sandlewood, while Santal is - strictly spoken - not a sandlewood scent.

According to Wikipedia, Santal is a large tribe in India (can you tell a bit more, Jenson?)

I find Floris Santal the creamy, refined brother of Gucci Envy. The two smell very alike, but it doesn't have the green 'twang' that Envy has.

2 stars from Turin/Sanchez, while Gucci Envy for Men has 3.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 2nd August 2008 at 11:23 PM.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

To me it smells more like Envy, Burberry Brit and one of the LArtisan fragrances whose name I do not remember.
    Last edited by irish; 3rd August 2008 at 12:56 AM.

Great stuff. My personal favorite from Floris. One of the ones I've gotten unsolicited compliments from strangers from. The after shave balm smells even better (if you can believe it).

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post

I find Floris Santal the creamy, refined brother of Gucci Envy. The two smell very alike, but it doesn't have the green 'twang' that Envy has.

That's pretty much how I'd describe them. Envy is the louder of the two, Floris Santal the somewhat more subtle one.

The other two scents very akin to these two are S.T.Dupont's Signature and Larrikin for Men.
    Renato

I find Santal to be a very soft floral scent, almost right there on the borderline of being too feminine. I agree that it's a very pleasant scent, if a bit one dimensional.

Also true, but Floris' scents are all quite one dimensional. For a perceived niche-house, Floris' fragrances are nothing spectacular. Their citrus offerings are downright boring and their florals are quite conservative.

But then again, for a niche house, the prices are quite ok. So I suppose the perfumers didn't have such a big palette to choose from when creating the fragrances.

But yeah, Floris Santal is quite ok.

Too bad Luca Turin only gave it two stars. That'll be the first, and last, time you'll read of me mentioning his reviews. Why some are obsessed with his opinions are beyond me. I flipped through his book last night at Borders and thought it mostly to be "poppycock".

Woe is he who base his opinion on LT's, for he obviously has no means to opinionate himself.

P.S. It's a great scent. I think I was the first one to write about it on the boards 5 or so years ago.

Also true, but Floris' scents are all quite one dimensional. For a perceived niche-house, Floris' fragrances are nothing spectacular. Their citrus offerings are downright boring and their florals are quite conservative.

But then again, for a niche house, the prices are quite ok. So I suppose the perfumers didn't have such a big palette to choose from when creating the fragrances.

But yeah, Floris Santal is quite ok.
    I found Sandalwood, from the classic range, to be a bit on the boring side--but well done (I mean, it's sandalwood...) Elite was too weird for me--didn't care for the Tuberose. No. 89 is pretty much a product of its time--a safe, traditional, conservative floral fresh woody combo. Cefiro is one that I like to wear every so often because it's mutli-faceted. I have the EDP version and it changes quite a bit on my skin over the course of the day. JF is a pleasant enough herbal-citrus concoction, reminiscent of GIT, but brighter.

But overall, yeah, there's nothing that really stands out in their collection--just a lot of pleasant fragrances at decent prices.

I have a sample and I don't mind it. However I'm in love with the vetiver. It's divine. So divine I'm the proud owner of a bottle!
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    I found Sandalwood, from the classic range, to be a bit on the boring side--but well done (I mean, it's sandalwood...) Elite was too weird for me--didn't care for the Tuberose. No. 89 is pretty much a product of its time--a safe, traditional, conservative floral fresh woody combo. Cefiro is one that I like to wear every so often because it's mutli-faceted. I have the EDP version and it changes quite a bit on my skin over the course of the day. JF is a pleasant enough herbal-citrus concoction, reminiscent of GIT, but brighter.

But overall, yeah, there's nothing that really stands out in their collection--just a lot of pleasant fragrances at decent prices.
    I can agree with this comment to some extent. Like Heeley, Floris is a house that is not going to knock my socks off, but they shouldn't be ignored either. Santal, Vetiver, JF, and #89 are all excellent fragrances that would be welcome additions to anybody's wardrobe, as are others from this line. They just have the misfortune of being the second, third, or fourth best in any given category, but they are always solidly good and reasonably priced. One could do a lot worse than having some Floris fragrances in their wardrobe.

According to Wikipedia, Santal is a large tribe in India (can you tell a bit more, Jenson?)
    hey buddy...no clue on tht..

I received this as a gift from a very generous Basenoter. It's actually funny, because the name 'Santal' somehow evokes the thoughts of sandlewood, while Santal is - strictly spoken - not a sandlewood scent.

Actualy, santal is sandalwood in French. Using wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandalwood
    click on Français.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    Actualy, santal is sandalwood in French. Using wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandalwood
    click on Français.
    Wow. One less mystery in my life.... :brolly: