Code of Conduct

Default SotW July 26th-August 1st, 2008

Scent: The Final Frontier.
    These are the voyages of the Scentship Basenotes
    Its 52-week mission, to explore strange new scentscapes.
    To seek out new smells and unique ingredients.
    To boldly go where no nose has gone before.

Scentdate 0708.31 Captain’s Log

Somerville M. Man in command of the USS Basenotes. We are currently scanning the Week 22 Nebula. My science officer Mr. TwoRoads has told me the nebula is made up of:
    1,024 posts which make it larger than the Week 21 Nebula which was only 962 posts in area.
    The nebula is composed of 652 individual scents which makes it the third most populated nebula we’ve mapped and larger than the last one which was 603.
    Mr. Two Roads has scanned 457 unique scents which only occur one time in this nebula which calculate out to a 44.6% individuality index. This is similar to last week’s 430 and 44.7%.
    My communications officer Lieutenant ComDiva has received a message from Admiral Osborne at Scentfleet Command that we should explore this nebula more closely so I am ordering the helmsman Mr. Redneck Perfumisto to take us deeper into the nebula so we can explore it more closely.
    Ensign kbe has picked up some large planetary bodies we have previously called House planets. Scentfleet Command has asked us to take a closer look at the largest of these bodies. We have sent landing parties down to the five largest Houses. My Number Two, Commander Riannon, is exploring the Guerlain scentscape her report indicates that the planet is made up of the most overall wears at 57 over 29 scents which calculates as a 1.96 House Factor. For a house which has the most overall wears they are spread out over more scents. Lieutenant Taolady is reporting in from Creed which has the second most overall wears as a house at 55 over 22 scents for a 2.50 House Factor. This shows Creed to have some pretty impressive depth to it. Ensign Tavorna is leading her first away team over at Serge Lutens which had 46 wears over 24 scents for a House Factor of 1.92. Despite the overall low House Factor Serge Lutens is easily one of the most diversely worn Houses. Counselor chayaruchama is exploring Hermes which has 43 wears over 14 scents for a House Factor of 3.07. Hermes benefits from having high numbers of wears over a few scents as the ones in the House that are favorites rack up multiple wears. Finally Lt. Commander Schachman reports that on Chanel the atmosphere is made up of 35 wears over 17 scents for a House Factor of 2.05. I have to admit I am surprised at this number as it is my impression that Chanel displayed more depth than this.
    We heard rumors of previous activity on the House planets of Ava Luxe and Bond #9 but both seem to be 70% smaller than we previously observed. The House planets of Bvlgari and Comme des Garcons showed signs of new growth and both of these showed >50% increases this week.
    A final note to the House planets is that advertising clearly works especially in the Basenotes Universe. Neil Morris has seen the average of 3-4 wears a week jump to 9/week for the last three weeks as the special offer increases the exposure. Captain Maisonstinky has done the same for Montale as his special offer has seen an already reasonably worn house go from wears in the low 20’s to over 30 for both of the last two weeks.
    Over the objections of Commander Riannon I am going to visit the busy marketplace on the large planet’s surface to see what the most popular scents are in the Week 22 nebula.
    My tricorder records very high levels of Creed Virgin Island Water and the scent which always seems to be present no matter what planet we visit Hermes Terre D’Hermes. This is the highest level of Virgin Island Water we have ever encountered, to date. I am also picking up other scents which have had their highest levels ever. Scanning; Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, Hermes Eau des Merveilles, and Kai at new high levels. Also scanning usual atmospheric components of Guerlain Vetiver, Guerlain Jicky, Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain, Creed Green Irish Tweed and Montale Black Aoud. Bvlgari aqua pour Homme and Chanel Platinum Egoiste complete the top10 scan.
    Breaking out of the goofy framing device for a moment. This is by far the most unisex top 10 we’ve had without any coordinated shenanigans. Virgin Island Water and Eau des Merveilles had wears on both boards. Kai and Jicky are here predominantly on the women’s support and two of
    the just missed list are women’s wears, as well. I think this was an amazingly representative week of this community and that is why I chose this week to break down the Houses they way I did. I’m not sure which number I like judging the Houses on, whether it is just overall wears or how much those wears are spread over a number of scents. I’ll let you guys decide which one you think has the most weight as the data is there for the five biggest houses.
    Here is the top 10 for July 26th –August 1st, 2008
    1.) Creed Virgin Island Water 12 wears (1.2%)
    1.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 12 wears (1.2%)
    3.) Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire 10 wears (1.0%)
    4.) Guerlain Jicky 8 wears (0.8%)
    4.) Guerlain Vetiver 8 wears (0.8%)
    6.) Hermes Eau des Merveilles 7 wears (0.7%)
    6.) Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 7 wears (0.7%)
    8.) Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme 6 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Chanel platinum Egoiste 6 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 6 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Kai 6 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Montale Black Aoud 6 wears (0.6%)

Six fragrances just missed Chanel #19 and Hermes Un Jardin sur Le Nil were the ladies’ contribution along with Dior Eau Sauvage, Domenico Caraceni, Serge Lutens Chergui, Montale Red Vetyver, and YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme. A couple of quick notes before we return to tonight’s episode of Scent Trek. After noting the Lorenzo Villoresi pattern you guys have to go ruin it by keeping the house down at a low level for two weeks running. This begins to beg the question of whether the observer should tell the observed everything he sees. Also Estee Lauder Sensuous looked like it was going to make a run at most worn new women’s scent but it stumbled badly this week logging only one wear. Ok that’s it now back to our regularly scheduled silliness.

Upon returning to the Basenotes Chief Engineer Quarry informed me that the our Nanadebary Green crystals were fully charged and operational. Mr. TwoRoads informs me that our nemeses from The Guide Empire are approaching off the port bow. The Turin and The Sanchez are locking weapons. Lieutenant ComDiva inform Scentfleet Command we are going to engage them and eradicate their pernicious influence form the Scented Galaxy. Lieutenant Taolady charge all atomizers. Chart a collision course Mr. Redneck Perfumisto. Engage!!!!

Until next week, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotW July 26th-August 1st, 2008

I want some of whatever you're on.

I guess I contributed to the VIW number -- otherwise Hermes TDH would've taken first place instead of tying. Which reminds me -- my vote actually counts!

I'm quite interested in the number of wearings of Terre d'Hermes after it won three Basenotes awards this year. Did the awards affect the active Basenoters in any way?

Something else that I've been wondering about is the popularity of Terre d'Hermes in general. Did it increase after the awards? (I guess that's out of the scope of the thread, but an interesting question nonetheless)

Thanks a lot for the info. Always an interesting read.
    Last edited by Mostapha; 3rd August 2008 at 07:12 PM.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mostapha View Post
    I'm quite interested in the number of wearings of Terre d'Hermes after it won three Basenotes awards this year. Did the awards affect the active Basenoters in any way?

Something else that I've been wondering about is the popularity of Terre d'Hermes in general. Did it increase after the awards? (I guess that's out of the scope of the thread, but an interesting question nonetheless)

Thanks a lot for the info. Always an interesting read.
    My personal opinion is -- yes, of course it did -- even if it may be subconsciously for some.

When I first discovered BN quite a long while ago, one of the first things I did was checking out the previous winners of the BN awards way back to its early days. I think I somehow kept it as a little mental anecdote in my head as I went around shopping for and reading about scents. (Similar to reading a "Top Movies" list and having an effect in the selection of which movie to watch at the cinema)

As a side note, I haven't worn TdH for a very very long time.
    Last edited by moltening; 3rd August 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Excellent episode Captain Somerville Metro Man!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

LOL!!! And a great time was had by all! Thanks for this seriously entertaining episode! I'm gonna tell my wife that I got to be Sulu today, and she's not gonna know WTF I'm talking about! Yeah!

The house factors are really interesting. It will be neat to see if and how those change, or if they stay steady. Could be a surprise there.

And speaking of surprises, a nice one for our local Creed fans, to see their house topping out. I have to admit, I tested VIW today at Saks, and it's a very pleasant scent.

Looks like Eau des Merveilles is going to have to get tested. I love those Hermès scents!

Fantastic.