Code of Conduct

Thread: SotM July 2008

Default SotM July 2008

The month of July is done and it is time to take a look at the numbers for the last 31 days in Basenotes Nation.
    There were 4,454 total posts up from 4,264 in June.
    1,558 different scents up from 1,499 a month ago.
    768 scents worn one time for the entire month for a diversity index of 17.2% in comparison to 749 and 17.6% last month.
    If you add in the scents worn 2,3,or 4 times which averages to less than once a week the index rises to 50.4% our highest ever and up from 48.9%.
    This is the first month since I’ve been keeping track that there were no organized SSD’s except for the Sniff ‘n Speak at the beginning of the month.
    That makes the data this month interesting as there were no outside influences skewing the numbers in any significant ways. Yes there were some little outbreaks of organized wears here and there but nothing overall game-changing. As a result I think this top 10 is pretty emblematic of the overall community. The top of the list is the our usual top of the list; Hermes Terre D’Hermes which once again shows a double-digit gap to the #2 scent Guerlain Vetiver. Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme showed its continued warm-weather staying power as it comes in at #3. The rest of the top 10 consists of Three Creeds, Virgin Island Water, Original Vetiver and Green Irish Tweed. Virgin Island Water has been showing tremendous unisex support as the weather has turned warmer in the northern hemisphere. Habit Rouge and Jicky join Vetiver from Guerlain. Jicky is the only mostly women’s scent in the top 10. Kouros joins Rive Gauche PH from YSL and is another to show its support particularly in the summer. Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire has had a huge July as a scent that has shown consistent support this month with a breakout month as the weekly numbers climbed every week throughout July. The remaining three scents are Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain, Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki and Montale Black Aoud. Hinoki is really cementing its place as best new men’s scent of 2008 with the support it has found so far in 2008.
    Here is the top 10 for July 2008
    1.) Hermes Terre D’Hermes 46 wears (1.0%)
    2,) Guerlain Vetiver 35 wears (0.8%)
    3.)Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme 30 wears (0.7%)
    4.)Tauer L’Air du Desert Marocain 29 wears (0.7%)
    5.)Comme des Garcons Monocle Scent One: Hinoki 27 wears (0.6%)
    5.) Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire 27 wears (0.6%)
    7.) Guerlain Habit Rouge 26 wears (0.6%)
    8.) Creed Virgin Island Water 23 wears (0.5%)
    9.) Creed Green Irish Tweed 22 wears (0.5%)
    9.) Creed Original Vetiver 22 wears (0.5%)
    9.) Guerlain Jicky 22 wears (0.5%)
    9.) Montale Black Aoud 22 wears (0.5%)
    9.) Yves St. Laurent Kouros 22 wears (0.5%)

In the just missed category were Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme, Comme des Garcons Vettiveru, Thierry Mugler Cologne, Montale Red Vetyver, and Chanel Platinum Egoiste. If there is going to be a challenger to Hinoki, Montale Red Vetyver is starting to show signs like it could gain some support. Maisonstinky’s Montale promotion will get it sampled and from there it will be interesting to see if it makes a run at the top 10 in August.
    The last full month of summer awaits.
    Until Next Month, you keep wearing ‘em and I’ll keep counting ‘em.
    Have a well-fragranced week.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: SotM July 2008

Hats off to you and thanks once again, my friend!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Great job!!!
    It makes me think why I did not wear Terre d`Hermes... and why I forget about my loved Vetiver Extraordinaire and Jicky.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Yet again, a big Thumbs Up!

Blog Entries

Hooray for Terre d'Hermès! And Kouros sneaking in like a wet animal at the end of the pack! Hooray! And cheers for Hinoki-san, helping carry the banner for niche fragrances!

Actually, SotM is always a great list of fragrances. I should just print it out and take it to the store. Thanks once again for bringing order, unity, and purpose to our fragrance world!

Kudos to you again sir!

I will be sorry to see these end in in six or seven months - this is one of my favorite parts of Basenotes.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Eagerly anticipated and always satisfying. Great work, Statto!

Yes, well done Statman! Impressive stuff indeed.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Truly a diverse bunch we are but there are still obvious favorites.

Thank you Summerville Metro Man for preparing these summaries! I had no idea they existed, before Merlino and TwoRoads guided me here. Both nos 5 and nos 9 are surprising to me, and I immediately ask myself how many users may have worn each of these perfumes.
    How representative are posters in the SOTD for the aggregate of currently active male users in your opinion? SOTDs attract a maximum of posters and views every single day. How do these figures relate to total daily posts (views) I wonder. Figures really become meaningful in relation to more (unkbown) totals. Maybe you have an idea about those?
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

So here is a little more breakdown we average about 150 scents posted per day. A little higher on Monday through Friday and a little lower on the weekends. There are approximately 130 users who post five out of seven days. Now what percentage is that of how many people visit the community, I don't know.
    My feel is this is the cross-section of the fragrance community that is active online. How does that compare to fragrance users as a whole. Well based on the last top 10 selling fragrance list I saw none of those fragrances get a whole lot of wear around here.
    This is a highly discerning community and the presence here of someone who posts is as someone who wants to learn more, in most cases.
    That makes this count different. As you read through the different posts you will see that there really is no one scent that is emblematic of this community because there isn't one that gets more than 2% of consistent wear.
    I believe this group is way more open to trying new things and that also leads to the diverse amount of scents posted.
    In most cases a scent is usually worn by a slightly lower number of users than wears. There is always an example in any given week where one user will be particularly taken with a scent and wear it for a number of days straight. That is the exception and not the rule.

I tried to find parallels between SOTM July / SOTQ 1 and the 8th Basenotes Award Winners (men) . Stunning how these fall apart ! I admit that it might have been better to include all fragrance nominations for the BN awards, but I couldn't afford more time.

1. Only three colognes appear on top in both records: Green Irish Tweed, Guerlain Vetiver, Terre d'Hermes

2. For Editions Malle it's Vetiver Extra in the SOTD's and Musk Ravageur as a BN winner (#3 niche, etc.)

3. For YSL it's Rive Gauche in the SOTDs and M7 as a BN winner (#1 best evening )

4.Most surprising: the absence of a single Montale Aoud from BN winners, and the absence of a single Shiseido (Lutens) from the SOTD top ten I looked at.

5. I wonder who is responsible for selecting award winners like (todays) Brut or Usher for men within Basenotes.

(trying to feed excel columns into this post, hope it will work ) :

8th Basenotes Awards - The Winners A - Z :

Brut by Fabergé - best mass market 2
    Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido - best niche 2
    Cumming by Alan Cumming - best celebrity 3
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed - best 2
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed - best niche 1
    Green Irish Tweed by Creed - best day 2

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci - best new 2
    Guerlain Vetiver - best 3
    Guerlain Vetiver - best day 3

Jovan Musk for Men by Jovan - best mass market 3
    L'Égoïste by Chanel - best evening 3
    M7 by Yves Saint Laurent - best evening 1
    Man by Calvin Klein - best new 3
    Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle - best niche 3
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez - best new 1
    Old Spice by Procter & Gamble - best mass market 1
    Terre d'Hermès by Hermès - best day 1
    Terre d'Hermès by Hermès - best 1

Unforgivable by Sean John - best evening 2
    Unforgivable by Sean John - best celebrity 1
    Usher for Men by Usher - best celebrity 2

All in all I have the impression that your ear is closer to the pulse of Basenoters, Summerville Metro Man!
    Some of us certainly hope you will stay motivated and keep on doing this excellent work !
    Last edited by narcus; 25th August 2008 at 10:41 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Narcus--You hit on one of the main motivators for me to start doing this. When I looked at the nominees for the Basenotes awards and saw how disconnected they were to the scents that were posted on SotD I wanted to quantify the difference.
    This year when they announce the nominees I will be able to back up my assertion with numbers.
    It is my belief that if the nominating and voting was only for registered members instead of anyone who can surf here; the awards would come out much, much different.
    When I compare the nominees and what this community wears there are very few common points between the two sets for both genders.