Code of Conduct

Default females find MI and SMW too femme?

Hey all,

I enjoy getting opinions on my frags with some of my friends as much as i can. Recently I asked two girls what they thought of a number of creed frags....about 12 of them..... and ranked them on what they would love to smell on a man. My initial default thought was that most women would die for MI SMW and GIT but suprisingly these three were in the bottom choices for what they would like on a man.

SMW was "too pretty" and something they would rather smell on a woman...
    GIT was fairly generic and nice smelling but nothing special.
    and MI was just too fruity and feminine smelling as well...

I respect the taste of these girls very much so and was actually impressed that they didnt liek the so called holy grail compliment getter creeds....

The ones they absolutely loved were far and away....
    Original Vetiver
    Bois Du Portugal
    Tabarome Millesime
    Himilaya

I thought it was quite interresting to test these out because for the longest time i was under the impression that MI and SMW were never fails female attractant in a bottle but apparently not.....

BTW these girls were in their mid 20's and in grad school to give you an idea.....

Have any of you had a similar experience with these ever so popular creeds where women just dont find them appealing on a man..?

Default Re: females find MI and SMW too femme?

That's why I don't own MI or SMW.

GIT is adored by older women who are nostalgic for the 80's.

My gf loves and wears MI and it's lovely on her...
    I guess my former bottle now resides in her washroom somewhere...
    God bless
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

This is why I no longer have a bottle of SMW. It's beautiful but I did get comments that it was a little fem. MI on the other hand musks up enough that I don't feel at all uncomfortable wearing it, and I've gotten a lot of compliments.
    Top Five: Oud Wood, Aventus, Kyoto, Rose 31, Tam Dao

Blog Entries

Creed Aoud is a good one to try....check it out!

I've sort of had the same situation. Although I've had compliments on both SMW and MI, my wife prefers the stronger woody scents such as Tabarome Millesime and here lately she absolutely loves Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille. I admit myself that these are indeed more masculine and I do like to wear them when feeling in a sort of brooding mood, but I must say that SMW and MI to me are "happy" scents that I think are a little more casual elegant. I have had beautiful girls tell me they "love" these two...especially SMW...which happens to be my all time favorite. I think it depends on the style of the girl. Green Irish Tweed has always been a standby for me. I wore it on my first date with my wife. She later told me that when returned home one evening after one of our first dates as she was undressing she smelled my scent on her clothes and she was like "ahhhh". I prefer well made classic scents because (and no offense to any young guys) but I never want to smell like the typical high school or college kid. I'm 29 and I like more of a select niche fragrance. Such as with GIT....it may smell generic and sort of 80's on the initial spray or sniff, but when it starts drying down the waft it produces is far too amazing for any designer frag to compete with.

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    Off topic. See, that's the kind of comment that starts arguments and leads to threads being closed.

Back on topic: MI and SMW are too youthful and unisex for my taste.
    Last edited by samplermike; 4th August 2008 at 04:03 AM.

Cool Re: females find MI and SMW too femme?

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Off topic. See, that's the kind of comment that starts arguments and leads to threads being closed.

Back on topic: MI and SMW are too youthful and unisex for my taste.
    Mike you love Creed too much...lolz... Yea Actually funny thing is I just wore a sample of SMW and it smells very disgusting the first two minutes like really disgusting but the midnotes and the basenotes are hmm well awesome... it is a bit to feminine but I can't recall who it was at BN, that was telling to mix GIT and SMW and the dry down was in his words Legend wait for it Diary.....lolz... So I don't know.. I like SMW... But that's me... Its actually listed as a female frag at NM.... so that's funny... and dear old Oli thinks of this as his favorite....

So the ultimate question is should I buy it?? or Would you buy it?? and How many female compliments have you gotten with this??
    Any Knowledge Is Good Knowledge For Me.......

for me is M.I. and SMW straight for men...just my opinion...I love them both and the girls too...it´s how you represent the scent.

I´m wearing Prada Amber Pour Homme today and this scent is much more femenine than these 2 Creeds, but also just for men in my opinion

I've never had anything but compliments when wearing SMW. My last gf used to bury her nose in my neck and purr whenever I wore it. I do however think that as I grow older I'll probably ditch it since I do consider it a fragrance for a younger crowd. I have no real experience with MI since I don't like it enough to have had a full wearing.

Both, Imperial and Mountain Water, are recommendable to men and women who do not want to be noticed wearing fragrance ( from the distance, that is). I think they are good in the summertime when other colognes may be too heavy to wear. Imperial is another Cool Water to me, rather harmless and thinned down.

I keep asking myself why I ever felt the need for SMW. I cannot say anything bad about it, least that I would find it too feminine on a man. I just never have a reason to reach for it. So it keeps keeps sitting there like old Christmas cake.
    Last edited by narcus; 4th August 2008 at 09:19 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I love both of them. I just recently bought SMW for myself and it has been my summer frag this season. The funny thing is I get the most compliments from men on this one. When I wear something like Alien or So In Love, I get compliments from both men and women. The last time I worked in the ER, the ER doc that night couldn't stop talking about it. Just the other night one of the male nurses commented on how nice SMW was. He was surprised when I told him it was actually a men's cologne, but marketed to be unisex.

When I wear it, I can smell the masculine side of it very well. Yet, I can see why many would think it is feminine. I bought SMW for my BFF, who happens to be a male, and I got a whiff of MI and was torn between the 2. I didn't really consider MI to be wearable for me, but felt that I could wear the SMW. I loved the way SMW smelled on my BFF.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I've been trying to hard to get a sample of SMW If anyone here feels generous or wants to trade for something let me know.

I need a decoder ...
    What do MI and SMW mean ?
    Last edited by Night; 4th August 2008 at 11:42 AM.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Mission Impossible and Silver Mountain Water

(okay, Millesime Imperial)
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

The MI that I sampled some four years ago in a local store lasted two or three hours and smelled a bit too girly to me. I wrote that impression here at the time.

But the MI that I sampled three months ago in another local store lasted 7 or 8 hours, and was plainly unisex - I wouldn't have minded wearing that.
    Renato

Royal Water is more feminine than SMW or MI - you should've included that in your survey.

When I first tried SWM and MI I thought they were more suitable for ladies. Now, I see them as unisex - just plain natural smell. It seems feminine to some people because it lacks masculine notes like vetiver or fougere accord. Compared to perfume like Dior's homme, these 2 Creeds are just plain smell of nature.

Oh bugger. You know how I've always said I don't really like Creeds and think they're over-rated?

Well, for umpteenth time I was trying various Creeds the other day, (some for the sevralth time) and I decided that I quite liked MI... I didn't think it was too girly at all.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Nice read.

While doing Creed research in case I ever decide I want to buy one, I have always been afraid of MI and SMW because the reviews are always talking about feminine or sweet, etc. That isn't something I want all the time and prefer, with some new exceptions, a stronger, masculine fragrance....to me Burberry London is this type of scent. I did love Himilaya when I tried it. My favorite. And I have really want to try the Vintage Tabarome or Bois d Portugal. I did like GIT though.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Unisex, most definitely.... It's the way the powdery musky Creed base mingles with the natural aromas is what makes it attractive to/on the ladies.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I find MI to be unisex. Not heavy and dark; not light and airy.

SMW the same.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I need a decoder ...
    What do MI and SMW mean ?
    MI = Millesimé Imperial - the one in the pompous golden bottle (kitch that hurts the eye. The juice is alright, though).

SMW = Silver Mountain Water
    , white bottle, silver cap. Besides Green Irish Tweed, better known here as GIT, SMW is the second Creed that seems to be dumped on the internet in vast amounts from time to time. It usually is of a minor quality (surplus, fake, malproduction - nobody really knows!) and can be had for $50 and less, now obviously contributing to Ebays headaches.
    Last edited by narcus; 5th August 2008 at 06:16 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

At first, I really didn't like SMW's topnotes, but loved the mid and basenotes. Now I have grown to love the topnotes as well. Neither are feminine. Typically the defining characteristics of feminine fragrances are a strong floral component, neither of which these two have. You also let your friends smell the Creeds strait on the cards. Creeds have a drydown that drastically changes the whole fragrance, so your friends only smelled a small part of how each one actually smells. In the end though, wear what you like...and if someone is unsure of the gender of your fragrance, show them your balls.

"Feminine" "masculine" "unisex" blah blah blah all social programming. Does not matter. Wear what you like and don't try to live up to pre-supposed expectations of the opposite sex. Doing your own thing (with perfume, and everything) and not giving a crap what anyone thinks about it is sexy- masculine or not.

My girlfriend enjoys my whole wardrobe and thinks they're all versatile scents. She loves both MI and SMW. It's all subjective but I don't think they're swinging one way or the other. She actually thinks jasmine bomb A La Nuit is more masculine on my skin than the Incense Rosé I bought her. If you like something and are comfortable with it, then man up and wear it proudly.
    Last edited by jrd4t; 6th August 2008 at 11:12 AM.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Actually, thanks. As a result of this thread, I put SMW on one arm and MI on the other.. one of the two will be my SotD tomorrow and goodness, I'll smell great.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Quote Originally Posted by genvy5 View Post
    "Feminine" "masculine" "unisex" blah blah blah all social programming. Does not matter. Wear what you like and don't try to live up to pre-supposed expectations of the opposite sex. Doing your own thing (with perfume, and everything) and not giving a crap what anyone thinks about it is sexy- masculine or not.
    Well said.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

to clarify these were all tried on skin at one time or another so that the bases were definately experienced, I wear what i want as well thank you!!!! but i just wanted to experiment and see if MI and SMW were as surefire compliment machines as everyone says. I honestly like both of them, although i find the first few minutes of SMW quite nasty , much like ck1, it does get quite good.

Do any of you find Himalaya much more appearling than either SMW or MI or do you feel himalaya kind of meh run of the mill or rather uninterresting???? thats the next creed i would get a full bottle of

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpolzin View Post
    Do any of you find Himalaya much more appearling than either SMW or MI?
    Yes. Women love Himalaya even if you do not. It gets boring to wear but it does garner lots of compliments.

mike what has been your most compliment getting creed, im curious, the vetiver for me was unexpected to say the least

I like SMW > Himalaya > MI.

But bro - the fact that you are still seeking the scent that gets the most compliments contradicts what you said about wearing fragrances for your self. It is this external validation-seeking mindset that betrays a person's authenticity. The feeling you get when a friend or a girl compliments your cologne is the same as when a person who is addicted to buying new clothes/collectibles for that single moment of happiness makes a new purchase. They have tons of shit already but they are always looking for more because they still have this void that they want filled, and the trick is done when the purchase is made. But it is fleeting. And it keeps them coming back.

You have to like it for your own interest man.

Even if you get this new cologne. OV or whatever. Think back to a day when you got your first BAM compliment-getting cologne. You're walking through the mall and every girl is checking you out. Everybody knows this experience, whether it's with cologne, a new haircut, tight shirt, whatever. Some guys are like "I really notice that when I wear this cologne/shirt/etc, women respond well." Or like "I really can tell a difference when I hit that certain body fat percentage." Do you think that most people know the difference between 16% and 14% body fat? They don't - but you know it, so the subcommunications you present are different and they respond to that. "Yeah I just got this new cologne women are really gonna respond different to these dumb old ones." Self-fulfilling prophecy.

What happens with most people when they wear that cologne for a while and they feel good while people are responding to it? After a while they don't care about it anymore and they say - this cologne doesn't have its mojo anymore! So they purchase a new one.

Go out and put on Old Spice aftershave and see how many girls respond to it. Over time, if you are properly calibrated and authentic, it will be the same as ANY other cologne you could have worn.

You can't be seeking a compliment getting cologne when thinking about a purchase. It's dangerous.

If you must know, in my experience SMW gets me the most compliments of Himalaya, OV, and MI.
    Last edited by genvy5; 6th August 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Isn't it funny how "sex" drives us to seek certain fragrances? Sex being the home run, the score - the real underlying motivation that people have when wearing fragrances (first attraction and then leading to seduction). Now that I think about it, more than half of the people at basenotes wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them looking for a scent that "attracts" the opposite sex/same sex or at least garner compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Yes. Women love Himalaya even if you do not. It gets boring to wear but it does garner lots of compliments.
    I loved Himilaya when I tried it.

I tried MI yesterday and was prepared to run thinking it was too feminine but I loved it. It was beautiful and I didnd't find it too feminie at all. It has a sweeter side to it but it would seem that women would find it...delicious. I'll have to try on some with my wife...lol But it didn't last though.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Talking Re: females find MI and SMW too femme?

Quote Originally Posted by everso View Post
    LOL!!!!!!

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Quote Originally Posted by Mindbrain View Post
    Isn't it funny how "sex" drives us to seek certain fragrances? Sex being the home run, the score - the real underlying motivation that people have when wearing fragrances (first attraction and then leading to seduction). Now that I think about it, more than half of the people at basenotes wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them looking for a scent that "attracts" the opposite sex/same sex or at least garner compliments.
    That's true. Just look at all the perfume print ads and TV commercials - 99% of them are suggesting sex. There's nothing wrong with that actually, the problem is - the marketed images has got nothing to do with how the perfume smells like. Just think Unforgivable, you would've thought its a macho sex-up scent - it turns out to be a MI clone. Unbelievable.

A few years ago there's a rubber/latex trend going on in perfume - I always thought its intended as a subliminal association with the smell of condom. So people getting a whiff of that perfume may subconsciously be recalling the memories of sex and therefore make the purchase.