Code of Conduct
    SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Has Dieting Impacted Your Interest or Choice of Fragrance?

Three weeks ago I had a doctor's appointment and he said to me, "LOSE 30 POUNDS."

So I have been on a diet since that date.

I would be interested to hear from others with a passion for fragrance who have gone on a diet.

Did being on a diet affect your passion for fragrance?

Did being on a diet affect your choices in fragrance?

For myself, I found that the first two weeks of dieting were a bit miserable and I felt deadened as to my interest in scent. I can't say my choices were affected, although I was a little timid that wearing a gourmand may affect my appetite. Today I am wearing one (Rochas Man).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Has Dieting Impacted Your Interest or Choice of Fragrance?

From my experience, dieting did not affect my passion for fragrance. Fragrance is fragrance, and food is food.

I lost about 10 pounds last year 2007, with the low carb method, and my love for fragrance was still as intense as usual whilst on the diet. My choices were wide, from citrus to deep oriental scents, which were regularly used in rotation.

Now those 10 pounds are back, but about 5-6 turned into muscle, and still, my choices of fragrance are still the same, or similar at least. Nevertheless, this is only my personal point of view. You might not feel the same, but it's good to lose some pounds anyway for your health's sake.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Two years ago I was about 22 kilos heavier (believe it or not). In no way have I found my interest in fragrances a detriment to the process of changing my eating and exercise "lifestyle" enough so that I could loose weight and stay at a "lighter" level. Perhaps my interest in fragrances has been a distraction away from food and, hence, its only been a help!

Post Thanks / Like

Thinner people sweat less and naturally smell better than heavy people. It is in everyone's best interest to get down to their ideal weight regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I lost 100 pounds about a year ago and while I was losing the weight through a medically supervised very low calorie diet I found that I needed to take pleasure in things that weren't food. Fragrances is one of those places I've used to take sensual pleasure in that is not food.
    Each of us is different and if a gourmand scent would make you crave the notes it is made up of then don't wear it.
    On the other hand it was my desire to take pleasure in things that didn't involve eating that led to my greater interest in fragrances and a little later here to Basenotes.
    Good luck to you it is not easy to make these kind of changes and if you think I can offer any other insight please don't hesitate to PM me.
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 4th August 2008 at 04:38 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    Thinner people sweat less and naturally smell better than heavy people. It is in everyone's best interest to get down to their ideal weight regardless.
    Not necessarily Some people believe: the bigger the seat the sweeter the meat! Of course, this is not from my own experience.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Not necessarily Some people believe: the bigger the seat the sweeter the meat! Of course, this is not from my own experience.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I lost 100 pounds about a year ago and while I was losing the weight through a medically supervised very low calorie diet I found that I needed to take pleasure in things that weren't food. Fragrances is one of those places I've used to take sensual pleasure in that is not food.
    Each of us is different and if a gourmand scent would make you crave the notes it is made up of then don't wear it.
    On the other hand it was my desire to take pleasure in things that didn't involve eating that led to my greater interest in fragrances and a little later here to Basenotes.
    Good luck to you it is not easy to make these kind of changes and if you think I can offer any other insight please don't hesitate to PM me.
    I am so admirative !

Loosing weight has to be a pleasure if you want to survive psychologically in the long term. I you are depressed because of your diet, your won't find interest in anything, perfumes included.

There is a strong relation between smelling and tasting. Cooking differently also means using more vegetables, fruits, spices, herbs, citrus, but also steam cooking, foil parcels, and hints of wine, balsamic vinegar, soya sauce, olive oil, etc.
    You train your nose everyday and at the end, you end up appreciating infusions, good italian coffee, the sweetness of an unpeeled potatoe, etc.

Educating your tasting is the same as educating your nose.

Now, to come back to the initial post, I like goumand scents when I am on diet because they boost me, I am even dreaming of these scents during the night, especially bourbon vanilla.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, if I am in a low calorie diet I would not use CDG EDT's 53 and 71. They make me feel as if I had a void in my stomach. I have a friend that would avoid gourmands because, she says, they induce cravings. I have another friend that actually uses gourmands as she feels sweet scents satisfy her sweet tooth.
    Last edited by irish; 4th August 2008 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I've been around all kinds of people in the healthcare industry. In my 20+ years of experience, I have to say the split on stinky people is equally distributed among fat people and skinny people. A lot of the really skinny people smoke, so that kind of works against them the way sweat may work against heavy people. At the end of the day, I don't think you can say that most fat people smell any better or worse.

But, I digress...

I have lost about 30 lbs. over the last two years. I'm 6'1 and I weigh 206 for the record. 42L suit size, 36 inch waist. My tastes in scents, or zeal for them in general, have not changed as a result. The only flukey change in my cologne preferences is that I'm sick of Green Irish Tweed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Man, I've been around all kinds of people in the healthcare industry. In my 20+ years of experience, I have to say the split on stinky people is equally distributed among fat people and skinny people. A lot of the really skinny people smoke, so that kind of works against them the way sweat may work against heavy people. At the end of the day, I don't think you can say that most fat people smell any better or worse.
    I second ChuckW on this.
    L'amour fait songer, vivre et croire. Il a, pour réchauffer le coeur, un rayon de plus que la gloire; et ce rayon, c'est le bonheur. (Victor HUGO)

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Ha. I haven't found it to be the case, either. Although body odor can definitely by affected by one's diet.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Congrats to all you losers!! Job well done.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure a spray of HM Hanae Mori every time you feel like chocolate would help the diet
    I have to agree with samplermike here, although its not the 'slightly large' people that usually have higher levels of BO, more the 'ridiculously overweight' ones.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Ohmigosh, 100 pounds! That is, frankly, amazing. Congratulations!