Code of Conduct

Default Bay Rum is a "type" of cologne...are there any others?

So it seems to me like Bay Rum is a lot like a cola -- there are many types put out by different houses based on the same concept.

As far as I know, Bay Rum is not a smell that occurs naturally on its own. For instance, there is no such thing as a "Bay Rum plant" that you can walk up to and smell.

Are there any other fragrance types like this? I suppose the 4711 "Eau de Cologne" is another type as well as the different versions of "Florida Water." So that's three.

I know we have our countless "lavender" and "vetyver" (or "vetiver"), but those are actual flowers, plants, etc.

And I know we have a ton of "Eternity" and "Cool Water" copies out there, but that's not what I really mean either, since they all go by different names.

Any others that I'm missing?

Default Re: Bay Rum is a "type" of cologne...are there any others?

Amber. The scent we smell as amber does not exist in nature, and like Bay Rum every perfume house seems to have a unique recipe that distinguishes their amber from others.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Also, many houses seem to stock a lime cologne. These are the ones my husband likes best. They can vary widely!

There are tons of such fragrance types in old perfumery handbooks from the days before brands, most are forgotten now. some better known ones, many started out as medicines (EdC was originally ingested):
    Eau du Portugal, essentially an orange water
    Eau d'Hongrie (Hungarian water), a rosemary water and the basis of many Eau de Cologne recipes
    Cuir Russie (Russian Leather) and Spanish Leather - perfumes originally made for scenting leather gloves, but nowadays evoking the the smell of scented leathers.
    Eau de Quinine - orignally for hair care, believe, a typical barbershop scent thus - versions by Pinaud, Crown, Trumper,
    The modern perfume category fougère (fern) was originally narrowly defined in this way - think Penhaligon's English Fern, Crown Fougère, Trumper Wild Fern, Houbigant Fougère Royale - all very similar. Today Fougère is a much broader category, of course.

also:
    Eau de Carmes (Carmelite water)
    Eau d'Arquebusier / Acqua Mirabilis (from 75 herbs, organic cosmetics firm Farfalla maks this based on an old recipe to treat musketeer injuries)
    and Venetian Water, Imperial Water etc. pp.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'd love to own some Eau d'Hongrie, Eau de Portugal, Bay Rhum, and Lime Water.

Unfortunately all these seem to have either vanished from perfumery, or are now limited to a few niche houses.
    A

Newbie discovering the wonderful world of perfume

Looking for; http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=210771
    and
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=214089

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post

Unfortunately all these seem to have either vanished from perfumery, or are now limited to a few niche houses.
    Try Fragonard, a French house reasonably priced, - I wouldn't call it a niche house- like Molinard in Grasse, and with a store popular with tourists in Paris, and on their own website (although shipping charges are high). They have Eau d'Hongrie of your list above, and maybe others. I have Eau d'Hongrie in a sampler of six mens' colognes bought through the internet. As colognes they are, of course, short-lasting. Very short-lasting.

Cologne Russe is next one. It`s typical cologne with some warm (poudre-amber-musk-leather) sillage
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    There are tons of such fragrance types in old perfumery handbooks from the days before brands, most are forgotten now. some better known ones, many started out as medicines (EdC was originally ingested):
    Eau du Portugal, essentially an orange water
    Eau d'Hongrie (Hungarian water), a rosemary water and the basis of many Eau de Cologne recipes
    Cuir Russie (Russian Leather) and Spanish Leather - perfumes originally made for scenting leather gloves, but nowadays evoking the the smell of scented leathers.
    Eau de Quinine - orignally for hair care, believe, a typical barbershop scent thus - versions by Pinaud, Crown, Trumper,
    The modern perfume category fougère (fern) was originally narrowly defined in this way - think Penhaligon's English Fern, Crown Fougère, Trumper Wild Fern, Houbigant Fougère Royale - all very similar. Today Fougère is a much broader category, of course.

also:
    Eau de Carmes (Carmelite water)
    Eau d'Arquebusier / Acqua Mirabilis (from 75 herbs, organic cosmetics firm Farfalla maks this based on an old recipe to treat musketeer injuries)
    and Venetian Water, Imperial Water etc. pp.
    This is awesome. I've got Crown Eau de Quinine and wear it on the rare hot day that I'm exposed to here in the Bay Area, but I had no idea on the origin of this.
    Last edited by HORNS; 5th January 2014 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mlt.perfume View Post

Geo F. Trumper has a good Bay Rum, and it's pretty reasonably priced.

Regarding the OP, I'd think that "cologne" itself is a type of fragrance that has been reinterpreted over and over by different perfumers. But I'm not sure what constitutes a "real cologne."